Twilight (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Twilight (21/11/2008 7:40:47 PM)

Post your comments on this article

mighty mick -> Sucks the life out of the novels (21/11/2008 7:40:47 PM)

What the... 4 STARS??? My god, this was a TERRIBLE adaptation of the book, not to mention a godawful film in its' own right! The whole movie was shot like a Gap ad and at times was unintentionally hilarious (Edward's "coming out" scene in the woods was possibly one of the most cringeworthy moments in cinema this year). And the leads... all Kristen Stewart did was pulling orgasmic expressions throughout and Robert Pattinson looked like he was perennially constipated!
The only reason the audience of fans didn't seem to mind all this was because they were too busy laughing in giddy excitement the whole time!

hatebox -> RE: Sucks the life out of the novels (21/11/2008 8:44:05 PM)

So Empire's been paid off then.

Star Trek will probably get 5 stars.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Sucks the life out of the novels (21/11/2008 8:55:10 PM)

Wow.

Did not see that one coming.

Wow.

Having read some other reviews I find the whole thing rather creepy. As I understand it the Pattinson fellow is suppose to be over 100 years old and he's hitting on a school girl?

Whats with that?

And these "vampires" don't really display anything that really makes them "vampires".

I take it that the reviewer has read the books?

Anyways, I await further comments on this thread with baited breath. [:D]

hatebox -> RE: Sucks the life out of the novels (21/11/2008 9:22:39 PM)

After a brief peruse of RT.com, none of the reviews say it's anything close to 'very good'. They range from 'utter trash' to 'well, the fanbase will like it'.

What gives, Empire? Why do you feel the need to test our faith?

davebaxter1989 -> oooooooo (21/11/2008 9:46:50 PM)

4 stars? really?

orca -> (21/11/2008 10:43:26 PM)

Is this review a joke? Please tell me it's a joke.

bad hat harry -> RE: Twilight (21/11/2008 11:05:56 PM)

people on the empire forum, complaining about a review? i never thought i'd see the day [;)]

yes, of course, because Will Lawrence gave the movie 4 stars THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO THINK

facepalm

[image]http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10071/picard-no-facepalm.jpg[/image]

Amelie_Scotland -> (22/11/2008 12:45:17 AM)

Oh Empire, how can you fail me? How on earth can you give this movie the same rating as Quantam of Solace? I know you've had a lot of fangirls on your back recently but this is just wrong! After a little re-evaluation of the books, I've just realised that not only are they plotless, badly written and rather unoriginal, they're sexist, full of superficial messages, bastardise the vampire myth and contain the most mentally abusive leading man in YA books! He is nothing short of abusive, don't ever make the mistake that he's some sort of perfect man. This series is a fad, it will disappear as quickly as it appeared.

nc_jj -> Totally disappointed me. (22/11/2008 1:31:35 AM)

You may wonder why I give the film three stars if the review looks like 1 or 2 stars; well, the movie isn't pretty bad, in fact Pattinson made an excellent work as Edward and Kristen Stewart's performance, as Bella, wasn't bad, also. The film has some good moments, may not be one of the most memorable moments of the cinema this year, like the persecution in Gotham City on The Dark Knight, but, despite that, it wasn't the christmas box-office hit that everybody was expecting. It's just a simple love story, without the disturbing teenage sexuality. I cannot believe that Empire gave this let-down of Stephenie Meyer's novel four stars. And Melissa Rosenberg's screenplay wasn't awful, just not memorable. Verdict: This wasn't the christmas season box-office hit that everybody was expecting. It may not be the best picture of the year, but it has some good moments. Let's not we forget that the film has (and wanted to copy the matchless ) Tim Burton's dark style. It pretty much wasn't worth the wait. If you're looking for gore and more, this ISN'T the movie for you. Perhaps, the rest of the Twilight franchise, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn, can satiate our thirst.

kenada_woo -> RE: Totally disappointed me. (22/11/2008 12:17:16 PM)

"The director, of course, understands the teen audience consider Thirteen or Lords Of Dogtown and she conjures one of the most beautiful films of the year."

Is it really?[8|]

Stewie_Griffin -> RE: Totally disappointed me. (22/11/2008 12:37:54 PM)

The reviewer liked it, get over it. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Clarence_Worley -> (22/11/2008 12:55:25 PM)

This film LOOKS utter dross. Comes across as cheap as hell, like a made-for-tv movie or something.

hatebox -> RE: Totally disappointed me. (22/11/2008 2:55:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stewie_Griffin

The reviewer liked it, get over it. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

If everyone had that rationale this review section of the forum wouldn't need to exist...

Harry_Knowles_Ver.2 -> Bad Form (22/11/2008 3:09:03 PM)

Could've predicted this rating months ago...

Matt865 -> RE: Bad Form (22/11/2008 3:36:48 PM)

quote:

She turned to ILM, although despite their best efforts, Edward's spangled skin looks a little odd.

A little tidbit concerning the sparkly-skin effect:

quote:

"I've seen the sparkle scene on Blu-ray, and it looks really great. I was worried how that would translate." Not entirely satisfied with the results of the sparkle effect tests she saw from several FX facilities, Hardwick decided to take matters into the best possible hands, ILM, and is hoping that they go back in and take advantage of the Blueray (sic) technology.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/14402/

So the effect might be reworked slightly for the DVD/BD when the time comes.

Juno14 -> Jury's still out.. (22/11/2008 3:39:39 PM)

I have yet to watch the film, and although I am a fan of the books, in an embarrassing kind of way, I am sincerely trusting Empire's judgement that the film is going to be decent in its own right. Because much as I love the books, I am not blinded enough not to assess this film within the merits of general film criticism. Four stars has given me hope! (although it seems a little extreme - Excellent? Really?) And I can only now tentatively believe that Empire has been as objective in its review as I will strive to be....

DouglasG -> RE: Jury's still out.. (22/11/2008 9:18:40 PM)

The only one who can fully judge the film is the reviewer. As far as I can see, people are basing it on the trailers they've seen. I'm pretty sure Empire themselves were a bit unsure about the film, but it seems to have turned out even better than people originally thought. Save you're unjust comments until you've seen the film.

luna_wolf -> (23/11/2008 4:28:01 PM)

this movie has turned me into a fan girl...i thought i'ed neer see the day.
i must admit that after i read all the books, i was totaly hooked, even though i generaly always love the books more than the movie, (even though i still love the book more) this movie looks awsome. i love the actors, i love the soundtrack. this movie has eveything i want!
so therefor, 5 stars.

stargirl -> Thanks! (23/11/2008 5:39:10 PM)

As a film student but also a twilight fan, can I say thank you for giving it a positive review and enjoying it for what it is, not allowing the prejudice a lot of people have against teenage/romance/literature adaptions to get in the way.
I loved it of course and am not ashamed.

imperio_girl -> Impressed! (23/11/2008 6:39:15 PM)

I was warily waiting for the empire review to inform me that my twi-twit obsession was some kind of mental deficiency on my part...now you go and give it 4 stars....thank god, i can throw that in people's faces when they mock me for changing my name to Mrs Edward Cullen...well, maybe not...but it' better than using a Heat review as i had anticipated...

jcallan -> ¬_¬ (24/11/2008 8:27:36 AM)

-_-

losthighway -> Verdict is in! (24/11/2008 10:30:21 AM)

Despite good box office in the US (primarily thanks to an awesome hype machine, which Empire seems to have been caught up in for its upcoming UK release), this has been critically mauled in the States, many saying it suffers from being a greatest hits of the book, poor editing, bad music video moments and bad casting. They don't just seem to dislike the story but the way the film looks/tone of/etc... I had high hopes for it, but when it's panned across the board, then maybe it really is shit! I'll still go and make up my own mind when it comes out but now with an air of caution.

losthighway -> Verdict is in! (24/11/2008 10:30:24 AM)

Despite good box office in the US (primarily thanks to an awesome hype machine, which Empire seems to have been caught up in for its upcoming UK release), this has been critically mauled in the States, many saying it suffers from being a greatest hits of the book, poor editing, bad music video moments and bad casting. They don't just seem to dislike the story but the way the film looks/tone of/etc... I had high hopes for it, but when it's panned across the board, then maybe it really is shit! I'll still go and make up my own mind when it comes out but now with an air of caution.

M155 834N -> You've got to be joking. (24/11/2008 11:02:27 AM)

I am dreading being dragged to watch this film because the books are so terribly written. I can't believe you are comparing Meyer to Rowling - at least in Potter there is action, a complex string of characters and emotional DEATHS, not sissy talking things over. Oh and Twilight fans? You can't have a go at me for not reading the books so how can I complain? Truth is that I have so I can back my arguments up.
Sorry to be so mean but if you are aged 12-14 then you will love this. A young 13 year old girl I know actually believes that Edward is REAL. Shouldn't this be a diagnosed mental issue when she says 'Edward is real. Just because he's fictional doen't mean he's not real...' Riiight. Sorry to moan but this has too much hype.

keyzersaulsie -> Buffy The Vampire Layer? (24/11/2008 11:59:38 AM)

Has Joss Whedon called his lawyers yet? Isn't this Season 2 of Buffy all over again?

keyzersaulsie -> Buffy The Vampire Layer? (24/11/2008 11:59:41 AM)

Has Joss Whedon called his lawyers yet? Isn't this Season 2 of Buffy all over again?

DorianAsh -> Query (24/11/2008 1:52:12 PM)

I have'nt read the books, but is there an explanation in the books (or the movie) for why Edward even goes to school? I mean if he's 100 years old what's the point? Also, if he doesn't age, does he plan on going to college or what's the deal? It doesn't make any sense

sarah1276 -> (24/11/2008 7:13:29 PM)

...LOL, really, Empire? Four stars? If fans have complained that over the years your standards have been cascading, they are now officially in the toilet.

GFoley83 -> Has Empire Sold Out? (25/11/2008 1:39:36 PM)

The amount of attention that this movie has gotten from Empire running up to its release has bothered me from day 1. For a movie based on poor book, I couldn't seem to justify all the hype.The movie was panned in the states upon release, and it came as no surprise to me to see a 4 star glowing review from Empire.
I wonder how much they got for that....
I'm packing up my web browser and heading somewhere else.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI