RE: Bond 23 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Bond 23 (12/1/2010 2:47:02 AM)

Imagine Chiwetel Ejiofor playing 'Q'? I know many will cynically make a comparison to Lucius Fox but he'd be great. Failing him then an actor such as Ken Stott. An alcoholic but clever man who's more lecherous than James Bond (would make a change).

The Hooded Man -> RE: Bond 23 (13/1/2010 1:19:04 PM)

Mendes is Craig's choice, seems to me another example of how Craig is determined to prove that Bond is a worthy role rather a frivulous one as his luvvy pals might view it. Forster was a poor choice of director and if they hire Mendes they are following in the same vein. Why not bring back Martin Campbell or someone who has shown they can make a decent action flick with brains.
Ridley Scott, Chis Nolan, Bryan Singer etc rather than stunt casting a director to impress people who don't like Bond anyway.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (14/1/2010 1:12:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Mendes is Craig's choice, seems to me another example of how Craig is determined to prove that Bond is a worthy role rather a frivulous one as his luvvy pals might view it. Forster was a poor choice of director and if they hire Mendes they are following in the same vein. Why not bring back Martin Campbell or someone who has shown they can make a decent action flick with brains.
Ridley Scott, Chis Nolan, Bryan Singer etc rather than stunt casting a director to impress people who don't like Bond anyway.

the producers have been casting left field directors since using michael apted and roger spotiswoode in 90s.

what the big deal about bringing back moneypenny and q? why bother?

musht -> RE: Bond 23 (14/1/2010 1:56:58 PM)

quote:

I get what your saying, they're not that important to plot, but they are important to the world of Bond if you get what i'm saying
On the subject of Moneypenny, if Mendes is directing maybe he could get his wife to fill those particular high heels, Winslet and Craig sparking off each other would be awesome

The Hooded Man -> RE: Bond 23 (14/1/2010 3:33:30 PM)

Why not have Bond picking up a chick in a hotel, doing the deed, leaving before she wakes up, goes into work and finds it's his boss' new secretary Moneypenny.

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Bond 23 (15/1/2010 1:46:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

Why not have Bond picking up a chick in a hotel, doing the deed, leaving before she wakes up, goes into work and finds it's his boss' new secretary Moneypenny.

Miss Moneypenny could be the daughter of M's friend  for whom she's doing a favour by giving the daughter a job.

"Bond, this is Moneypenny"

"Where do I invest?"

"Not where you're thinking 007, now follow me."

jobloffski -> RE: Bond 23 (15/1/2010 9:24:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

I get what your saying, they're not that important to plot, but they are important to the world of Bond if you get what i'm saying
On the subject of Moneypenny, if Mendes is directing maybe he could get his wife to fill those particular high heels, Winslet and Craig sparking off each other would be awesome

Wont they want an actress who will do more than one film? Hard to see Winslett doing that.

Sorry to refer to the core characteristics of Bond here, but given his fatal flaw/recurring nightmare is that he's human enough to fall in love but every woman he gets close to seems to end up dead I feel it's more likely that'll be the reason Bond and Moneypenny have the frisson upon which they never act

A genuine attraction, with both of them knowing it'll never happen, because they both know about the trail of dead women Bond leaves in his wake, Bond feels cursed in that respect, and if he can know one woman to whom he doesn't pass on the curse, there's one more tiny glimmer of light in his empty existence. With Moneypenny seeing through all his posturing and being the one woman who really doesn't put up his shit (even M pits up with it).

He can't possibly shag her, that's part of the reason the 'relationship' works. It seems appropriate to me that they should be absolutely perfect for each other, and both know it, both know it'll never happen, and because they know that, there is no bullshit between them, only the love that can never be requited, because for Bond, that always ends with tragedy...And potentially feminist enraging as is may be, Moneypenny could wait in hope for Bond to leave 'the life' for her. Because whatever PC anger button that would push, it's reality that if someone does actually truly fall in love, they'll wait forever if they have to.

And rather than a big deal being made of their meeting, I feel that he shouldn't even notice her presence at first, too busy joshing with/pissing off M...Moneypenny amused to see her usually organised boss flustered...that's the inital spark...after a few brief moments of this in the film, while pissed off by M saying something like he's an overgrown schoolboy, he notices she's amused, ask her in a pissed off way what's so funny, making her even more amused...he's suddenly feels sheepish, slighlty amused himself...there's something there, maybe longer conversations between films, but we only ever see them spark off each other when he calls into the office between jobs or for dressing downs.

Create the impression of a genuine possibility of something real, dangle it in front of both of them, but never leave them alone enough for the inevitable to take place. With perhpas a line here and there between Bond/Moneypenny and M/Moneypenny to make the points about the fate of the women bond loves to create a subtle tragic love that can never be as the undercurrent, with sparky banter on the surface.

Incidentally, the girl he shagged in QOS was basically working in admin for the secret service. He shagged her. She's dead. So maybe I'm just picking up on seeds that have already been sown for why he wont be able to let himself chase moneypenny (who works in admin) too hard, and also seeds for the disapproval M might show at the possibility Moneypenny (who M works closely with) might end up going the same way.

Once again, the understated nature of the content of QOS seems to be revealing the amount of important work it does for the Bond saga as a whole...

Potential key scene:

Brief two hander scene after Bond watches Moneypenny leaving M's office.

M: Bond, don't.

Bond: (amused) What?

M: Don't look at her like that.

Bond: M...

M: I mean it. You look at her like that and you know what I see?

Bond: Enlighten me.

(Bond's amusement draining as M's line develops its point)

M: A rainy day. People under umbrellas. Her coffin being lowered. I'm there because I work with her every day. Her parents look at me. I've seen faces like that before. Loved ones wondering the hell happened. And I have to pretend I don't know...Don't you dare, Bond. Don't you dare

The promise Bond makes to not put M through that is unspoken. He'll never do more than speak to Moneypenny...

And, for a later movie:

M puts her neck on the line for Bond and takes an assassin's bullet through the chest (for when they want to recast the part). She survives but only long enough to share a few final moments with Bond...

In the hospital room, Moneypenny is weeping in Bonds arms as M is on life support. Her eyes open, she sees the 'couple' deliberately coughs weakly. The 'couple' part to look at her.

M: (To Moneypenny) Can you give us a moment?

MP nods, the other two watch her leave. Bond watches longer.

M: (Weakly) Don't you dare. Don't you dare

There is some hint of humour to the way she says the line, harking back to the exchange from years ago, and Bond catches it. He half smiles as he turns to M

Bond: Don't worry. She's not my type

M: They're all your type, you bastard...

Bond: But not you?

M: I'd say grow up, 007, but what's the point?

These are her last words. She dies with a smile on her face.The joke of her final moment gives way to a wider shot tracking away from Bond. We see that he is holding M's hand. His head slowly bows as the camera continues to track back, out of the room, into the hallway, pauses to frame on Moneypenny, getting further and further away (holy visual storytelling). Fade to black...but it's not the end of this film, the final act and showdown is still left to go. Against all expectations, Bond doesn't go ballistically apeshit. He gets the job done. And though he will flirt with moneypenny in future, he will always keep his word to the M that promoted him to OO status...

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Bond 23 (15/1/2010 11:09:54 PM)

I think with any exchange between James Bond and Miss Moneypenny (or indeed between Bond and M on the subject of Moneypenny). They always ought to remain as terse and pithy as possible. I like how the contact between Bond and Monepenny is always ephemeral. We do not ever linger on it because as you say. It'll always be an unspoken attraction, perhaps unrequited love. So their scenes will be brief and only hint at the undercurrent of feeling between them. Any sort of prolonged dialogue between them seems out of place since it doesn't fit the dynamic of their relationship. It's best to leave out the pleonasm and simply keep the concise quips. Bond of course treats women as disposable pleasures but I like the idea that he doesn't indulge his desires for her. Simply because he likes her too much rather than feel he'll inevitably place her life in jeopardy.

I don't think the idea to kill off M is necessary but it won't do the franchise any major harm since there'll always be an 'M' (even though Judi Dench is great in the role; some may see her as a vestigial character from the previous series).

I think if they were to introduce the 'Q' character. As I stated in an above post, I think it would be amusing to make him a lecherous and leering character. He would either be a recent Oxford/Cambridge/Eton graduate or a much older man who hasn't lost his appreciation for the finely curves of a woman's body. I can imagine one scene with an older Q:

(Q and Bond look at an attractive female MI6 employee walk past)

Q: "I say, I haven't seen such charming curves since my days at Eton (or whatever university)"

Bond: "You ought to get out more. Perhaps you should come travel with me?"

(An attractive female colleague passes a document to Q before smiling and walking away. Q with his glasses loose, lowers his head and admiringly gazes at her)

Q: "No, one is quite content being compliant..."

(Q pauses, he studiously looks at the lady's lithe frame)

*Camera stays on her*

Q:"...and pliant."

*Camera back on Bond and Q*

(Bond notices)

Bond: "You're too old for that Q"

Q: "One is never too old for some tinkering."

(Bond smiles)

Bond: "Now what of these curves"

*Bond hands Q an Algerian necklace of some sort*

*Q takes it and holds it up to the light*

Q: "Ah yes.."

deca4ever -> RE: Bond 23 (18/1/2010 5:05:02 PM)

should have alex of celebrity big brother in that would be fuuny

kumar -> RE: Bond 23 (18/1/2010 6:37:15 PM)

hahah yes it would! 

ArtDepartmentAlbert -> RE: Bond 23 (19/1/2010 12:43:15 AM)

Idris Elba for new villain

and if they have to bring back Q
Stephen Fry please.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (20/1/2010 1:14:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArtDepartmentAlbert

Stephen Fry please.

fry already did that in 'stormbreaker'.

ArtDepartmentAlbert -> RE: Bond 23 (20/1/2010 4:46:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

Stephen Fry please.

ahhh really? nuts...

i never saw it and even if i did, i think he's that good, that i'd ignore it and still let him do Q

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (21/1/2010 11:47:31 AM)

nice debate going on at-

http://debrief.commanderbond.net/index.php?showtopic=57083

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (21/1/2010 11:49:18 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

quote:

Stephen Fry please.

ahhh really? nuts...

i never saw it and even if i did, i think he's that good, that i'd ignore it and still let him do Q

but q as cranky eccentric again? was done by desmond so well.
leave that version in the past or go for different interpretation.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (27/1/2010 1:08:43 PM)

martin campbell on rebooting bond at-

http://commanderbond.net/9374/we-even-discussed-doing-it-as-a-period-piece.html

need to get back to mark set by CR , not copy other francishes.

bozo -> RE: Bond 23 (27/1/2010 8:56:07 PM)

I think they need to have a villain with a destroy the world plot again. I miss those old-school Connery era super villains, stealing nuclear weapons and demanding a ransom from all the world leaders and so forth. I know it might not be as realistic as... laundering drug money, but at least its buckets of fun!

What about some kind of supervirus? Or a computer virus? Something!

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (28/1/2010 12:52:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bozo

I think they need to have a villain with a destroy the world plot again. I miss those old-school Connery era super villains, stealing nuclear weapons and demanding a ransom from all the world leaders and so forth. I know it might not be as realistic as... laundering drug money, but at least its buckets of fun!

What about some kind of supervirus? Or a computer virus? Something!

i don't think much of the mid 60s bonds like TB and YOLT-too much spectacle over characters, bond gets lost in f.x. like in MR.

bonds like GF, DAF, OHMSS and TND strike a better balance.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (30/1/2010 12:20:12 PM)

campbell backs mendes-

http://commanderbond.net/9395/martin-campbell-backs-sam-mendes-for-bond-23.html

i agree-QoS lost its way as a continuation from CR's success.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (8/2/2010 11:33:54 AM)

check what the boys at commanderbond.net want from 'bond 23' at-

http://debrief.commanderbond.net/index.php?showtopic=50165

any more ideas?

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (9/2/2010 12:31:17 PM)

martin grace/ peter murton RIP.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (11/2/2010 12:28:08 PM)

stop bond being the billy no mates/lone wolf he has become since connery years.
look at the books to see where he has a life outside office and friends within it.

a flat in chelsea with a housekeeper, chats with tanner and bond's secretary lola ponsenby at the office.

noshing on fine wines, food while shooting brezze or talking shop with felix while on a mission.

ArtDepartmentAlbert -> RE: Bond 23 (13/2/2010 8:15:32 PM)

Bond Twenty-3D?

rich -> RE: Bond 23 (14/2/2010 5:59:41 PM)

- 007 is a spy and an assassin. This needs to be reflected in the film
- good realistic espionage based plot, the cold war is over but they should figure out something in the vein of some actual spying
- David Arnold to do a proper Joh Barry type score which includes writing the intro theme - it didnt work with Die Another Day and QOS, they need to learn this. I'd prefer a good quality instrumental piece like OHMSS but thats unlikely. Something as good as his work in TMD / CR
- return of the scary henchman
- Q and Moneypenny are welcome back - but no introductions for christs sake, just have them as if they never left. Q should provide minimal realistic gadgets along with Bond's standard weapons
- More Felix Leighter, in fact some more good characters would be nice - M is great but I just didnt care about the female lead in QOS at all.
- Get a proper 2nd Unit director back, no more subpar Bourne-aping or CG. Is aerial stunt work too hard?
- I get the feeling they are moving towards a volcano lair-esque evil organisation -which is fun, but has to be handled properly.
- Bond using brain rather than braun to escape an seat-edge plot device. And maybe makes some scramble eggs.

darth silas -> RE: Bond 23 (14/2/2010 7:14:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

- 007 is a spy and an assassin. This needs to be reflected in the film
- good realistic espionage based plot, the cold war is over but they should figure out something in the vein of some actual spying
- David Arnold to do a proper Joh Barry type score which includes writing the intro theme - it didnt work with Die Another Day and QOS, they need to learn this. I'd prefer a good quality instrumental piece like OHMSS but thats unlikely. Something as good as his work in TMD / CR
- return of the scary henchman
- Q and Moneypenny are welcome back - but no introductions for christs sake, just have them as if they never left. Q should provide minimal realistic gadgets along with Bond's standard weapons
- More Felix Leighter, in fact some more good characters would be nice - M is great but I just didnt care about the female lead in QOS at all.
- Get a proper 2nd Unit director back, no more subpar Bourne-aping or CG. Is aerial stunt work too hard?
- I get the feeling they are moving towards a volcano lair-esque evil organisation -which is fun, but has to be handled properly.
- Bond using brain rather than braun to escape an seat-edge plot device. And maybe makes some scramble eggs.

Dan Bradley is one of the best second unit directors in the business.He did all the Bourne films.Sure,QOS is just a lame Bourne copy,but the second unit director wasnt the problem,it was the incoherent editing and poor choice of director(not to mention bad casting but i believe iv beat that dead horse long enough!).

rich -> RE: Bond 23 (15/2/2010 11:34:14 PM)

He did all the Bourne films, and it worked for them - but theres something badly wrong with how the QOS action turned out - its either his fault and he lost the touch, or the editor did something to his footage. Theres a great action film somewhere in QOS under all that shaky cam rubbish.

ArtDepartmentAlbert -> RE: Bond 23 - QOS spoilers aplenty! (15/2/2010 11:40:30 PM)

both "units"/directors were to blame for the confused result that was QOS... with only the opera sequence being of stand-out quality.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 - QOS spoilers aplenty! (16/2/2010 12:31:19 PM)

the bond of QoS was joyless bourne clone.
he had the weight of the world on his shoulders by time fleming wrote 'goldfinger' but not in early novels like 'moonraker'.

he needs to recapture his quip/joy of life.

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (19/2/2010 12:19:10 PM)

mr white won't be back-

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=8330&t=mi6&s=news

spark1 -> RE: Bond 23 (19/2/2010 1:01:05 PM)

'once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is
enemy0
acti0n

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI