Ben Stiller In Talks To Direct Chicago 7 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Ben Stiller In Talks To Direct Chicago 7 (23/10/2008 8:33:10 AM)

Post your comments on this article

richCie -> (23/10/2008 8:33:10 AM)

uh...
really?
Well i ain't seen Tropic Thunder (cos it looks crap) and i'm not aware of what else he's directed...so i really have no idea if he'd be able to do this, i'd much prefer a more established director to tackle this but i suppose i'll give him a chance

skeletonjack -> (23/10/2008 8:40:01 AM)

Comedy is equally difficult to direct as drama, so why shouldn't he be able to do it?
I can't help casting my mind back to a particular episode of Extras however.......

keir -> (23/10/2008 9:20:41 AM)

Excellent, why not? Being perfectly honest, whilst I'm sure it's a fine piece of drama, the subject isn't exactly a big sell to anyone except yanks, of a certain age and political inclination. Your average 17 year old Brit is not going to watch this, period. So sure, give Stiller a chance. I think he's capable enough, and if he isn't it's hardly like he's ruined the most exciting prospect in cinema, is it.

Hughezy -> (23/10/2008 9:22:37 AM)

well, Stiller did that filim with Ethan Hawke (which for the life of me i can't remember the name of) and that wasn't exactly a comedy and it wasn't bad at all.

anyway, Stiller isn't even that funny.

Hughezy -> (23/10/2008 9:23:15 AM)

Reality Bites, i just hit me after i submitted the comment, fuck sake.

Felix -> RE: (23/10/2008 9:36:11 AM)

[obvious joke]

What about Chicago 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6?

[/obvious joke]

morg1138 -> RE: RE: (23/10/2008 9:44:25 AM)

Id like to see this happen.  Ben Stiller is great when doing comedy but it would be good to see him diversify a tad and see if he is any good at other genres.

clarkkent -> (23/10/2008 11:51:28 AM)

still did a great job with Tropic thunder, alot of the direction looked like a flat out action movie. And the three movie trailers at the start of the flick were also another great display of his ability to direct.

I'd love to see him do this, especially as it appears Stiller's career seems to be on a cycle that goes. Great movie, not so great movie, average movie, terrible movie, god awful movie, oh please god make it stop movie, Great movie.

Hopefully Chicago 7 will break this cycle once and for all.

Manfrendshensindshen -> (23/10/2008 12:15:56 PM)

No offence, Ben, but you against Spielberg or Greengrass? To quote Austrian fashion icon Bruno: ich don't think so! To put it into a logical context: I prefer Stiller to some random by-the-numbers hack, but both the beardy and the long-haired one have proven themselves to by exceptionally worthy of what is probably a great script by the great Mr. Sorkin.

Festival Paul -> (23/10/2008 12:37:23 PM)

I'm all for letting him do something serious, but since it's the great Mr Sorkin who wrote it, i want it done well so he can't do this one. It shouldn't be an experiment, he can do that with another script by some unknown writer.
Oh and i'm 20 and British and i wanna see this film.

Galli -> (23/10/2008 1:12:34 PM)

I totally admire Ben Stiller's work, wether as actor, producer or director. But since most of his pics in the past were quite unconventionally hilarious and sometimes "over the top", I really wonder wether he is able to helm such a dramatically anticipated movie.
Nevertheless I cross all my fingers in case he gets the job, so that the movie becomes the movie it has to become.

O_Goncho -> I enjoyed Tropic Thunder, but... (23/10/2008 1:14:07 PM)

...It felt a little too choppy or patchy to really demonstrate that Stiller is up to snuff on tackling something serious. Still, if it happens, I hope to be proven blissfully wrong.

coomi01 -> The man can do Drama too.. (23/10/2008 4:02:35 PM)

Or has everyone forgotten Reality Bites? Just give him a chance. And if he fucks it up, then hey, he'll get back to making (most of us) laugh.

Taz69 -> Why not. (23/10/2008 7:48:40 PM)

Many comedic talents have done great drama both in front and behind the camera - Jim Carrey, Woody Allen, Dan Akroyd, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, Michael Palin (mixed bag there but all have done at least one good drama)

Arcanine -> Yes (23/10/2008 8:11:42 PM)

we will never know if he can do drama unless he is given a chance

Hamsterwalt -> (24/10/2008 7:42:57 AM)

Maybe

Hamsterwalt -> (24/10/2008 7:43:47 AM)

Maybe

tysmuse2 -> hmmm... maybe (24/10/2008 10:19:30 PM)

Ben Stiller and Aaron Sorkin?? I take it no-one trusts Rob Reiner anymore, not now after that Bucket list fiasco?? I suppose Stiller could do it, Tropic Thunder was well done, but he's still one of the last names you'd ever expect to be announced!

Pigeon Army -> RE: (25/10/2008 8:12:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Manfrendshensindshen

No offence, Ben, but you against Spielberg or Greengrass? To quote Austrian fashion icon Bruno: ich don't think so! To put it into a logical context: I prefer Stiller to some random by-the-numbers hack, but both the beardy and the long-haired one have proven themselves to by exceptionally worthy of what is probably a great script by the great Mr. Sorkin.

Spielberg's been off the project for a while, and I think Greengrass was on the project even before Spielberg (or shortly after, but he wasn't attached for long either). The fact that he's only directed comedies (and Reality Bites, which I haven't seen) shouldn't really be an issue - if the script dramatizes the protests as well as the trial, Tropic Thunder's shown us that he's more than able to deal with such kinetic action, and I'm sure he'd be able to bring a nice touch to the dramatic side as well. Sure, there're probably better directors out there, but he's not the worst possible choice, and I'll be quietly hopeful if he does end up directing.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI