Final Draft Help (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop

mudweiser -> Final Draft Help (8/10/2008 11:38:21 PM)

Okay, so I want to save my script as a PDF, so I go to 'Save As PDF', choose where I want the file to saved and that should be it, right?

Only an error box pops up; 'Failed to initialize printer: The printer name is invalid'

What the!? Why is this coming up? There's nothing in the help file. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

James2183 -> RE: Final Draft Help (8/10/2008 11:40:56 PM)

Have you tried saving it when you unplug the printer?

mudweiser -> RE: Final Draft Help (9/10/2008 12:03:49 AM)

I don't have a printer! That's the problem. I'm on my laptop. I've never had a printer connected to this laptop so that's what's so confusing.

James2183 -> RE: Final Draft Help (9/10/2008 12:06:37 AM)

Can you save it as an fdr at least? I've never had this problem but one of the other guys might be able to help.

You could always try reinstalling it.

Neth -> RE: Final Draft Help (9/10/2008 12:13:51 AM)

Never had this problem myself, but apparently it occurs in Windows Vista. If that's the OS you're using, have a read:

http://www.finaldraft.com/support/faq-pages.php?nodeid=264079

mudweiser -> RE: Final Draft Help (9/10/2008 12:20:49 AM)

I can save it as a fdr, yes, thankfully.

I am on Vista - so many thanks for that faq Neth. I'll go through it now and see if that does anything.

mudweiser -> RE: Final Draft Help (9/10/2008 12:32:45 AM)

Nah, doesn't work at all. Can't find any of the folders they're asking me to and I just don't know why. I can't even download their update; I click the link it and it says 'document not found'.

benny the jet -> RE: Final Draft Help (6/11/2008 4:03:19 PM)

I had a similar problem. I uninstalled vista *spits* and re installed my trusty xp.

Apparently that buggers up your warranty but at least you get a computer that works

kenada_woo -> RE: Final Draft Help (6/11/2008 6:50:50 PM)

If push comes to shove, save it FD-format or Rich Text and just convert it to PDF using a seperate program, it it lets ya.

But, I've had no problems with mine for years.  Vista is a bastard!

Mojo -> RE: Final Draft Help (14/11/2008 12:08:43 AM)

Installed Final Draft on my new laptop and am getting this same problem. Vista can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

mudweiser -> RE: Final Draft Help (14/11/2008 8:29:55 AM)

I found a way of doing it - you'll need a PDF converter and what happens is you go to print it, choose the converter as the printer and then it'll just ask you where to print it to; and saves your work as a.pdf wherever you choose.

passionkat -> RE: Final Draft Help (6/5/2009 7:29:35 AM)

Hi....can anyone help me with Final Draft if there is a command that I can print a scene per page without manually inserting a pagebreak.

Thanks
Kat

Tech_Noir -> RE: Final Draft Help (6/5/2009 7:58:04 AM)

Final Draft? Pah!

Celtx is the way forward for cheapskates like me. [:D]

James2183 -> RE: Final Draft Help (25/7/2009 9:20:48 PM)

I have a quick question regarding Final Draft and macs. I am looking to pick up a Mac in the future (hopefully) but was curious as to whether I need a specific copy of Final Draft to work on it. I have it for the PC and my laptop but wondered if it needed to be a specific Mac copy.

kenada_woo -> RE: Final Draft Help (26/7/2009 12:43:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

I have a quick question regarding Final Draft and macs. I am looking to pick up a Mac in the future (hopefully) but was curious as to whether I need a specific copy of Final Draft to work on it. I have it for the PC and my laptop but wondered if it needed to be a specific Mac copy.

from http://www.screenstyle.com/fidrdo.html

Does Final Draft work on Windows? Does it work on Mac?[image]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/Img/trans_1x1.gif[/image]
[image]http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/screenstyle/finaldraftstar.gif[/image] Your Final Draft customer number is valid for both Mac (OS X) and Windows (XP and Vista). When you download Final Draft, you will be prompted to choose either the Windows or the Mac version. And if you write with both, you can certainly download one of each.

wgamador -> RE: Final Draft Help (30/7/2009 2:59:35 PM)

is it possible to share your Final Draft copy with someone else ? Like let the "borrow' it ?

Wilbert -> RE: Final Draft Help (30/7/2009 3:24:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wgamador

is it possible to share your Final Draft copy with someone else ? Like let the "borrow' it ?

If you want to use Final Draft without the disc in your machine you have to register it online for a key. That then allows you to authorise the use of Final Draft on two computers at the same time (without having the disc in either machine).

wgamador -> RE: Final Draft Help (30/7/2009 3:40:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

If you want to use Final Draft without the disc in your machine you have to register it online for a key. That then allows you to authorise the use of Final Draft on two computers at the same time (without having the disc in either machine).

Cool. What im getting at is that my friend bought Final Draft and instead of me buying it, he wanted to let me install it on my computer too. Like sharing it.....but you mentioned an online key when registering it....can that be done more than once ?

Id hate to go out and spend $400 when i can just "copy" his.

Wilbert -> RE: Final Draft Help (30/7/2009 3:53:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cool. What im getting at is that my friend bought Final Draft and instead of me buying it, he wanted to let me install it on my computer too. Like sharing it.....but you mentioned an online key when registering it....can that be done more than once ?

Id hate to go out and spend $400 when i can just "copy" his.

If you copy the disk, you should be able to use it on your machine without registering. You'd have to have the disc in your computer whenever you're using Final Draft, though.

wgamador -> RE: Final Draft Help (30/7/2009 4:07:04 PM)

no way around it, huh.

He has it already installed on his machine.
So in order for me to use it, he would have to give me the disc , correct? Which in turn would disable his in his machine?

Thanks Wilbert, for your time.

Wilbert -> RE: Final Draft Help (30/7/2009 4:10:28 PM)

quote:

no way around it, huh.

He has it already installed on his machine.
So in order for me to use it, he would have to give me the disc , correct? Which in turn would disable his in his machine?

Thanks Wilbert, for your time.

He can register the disc to his machine and then he can run FD without the disc. Then you could take the disc and run it on your machine. If you get a copy of the disc you just run it on your machine without registering it and it won't affect your friends copy.

wgamador -> RE: Final Draft Help (31/7/2009 4:05:05 AM)

Thanks for your help and responses.

I post questions in other threads and i dont even get a "Piss Off" , lol.

What do you think of the SAVE THE CAT screenwriting books ?

I just got mine from Amazon.com today and Im enjoying it.
I think its brilliant.

Wilbert -> RE: Final Draft Help (31/7/2009 12:30:29 PM)

quote:

I think its brilliant.

Piss off!

Only joking! I haven't read that screenwriting book. The one I like is called Alone In A Room by John Scott Lewinski.

wgamador -> RE: Final Draft Help (31/7/2009 3:36:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

I think its brilliant.

Piss off!

Only joking! I haven't read that screenwriting book. The one I like is called Alone In A Room by John Scott Lewinski.

[:D]
Ill check that one out by Lewinski.

Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI