Fringe - UK Speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

fuzzy -> Fringe - UK Speed (2/10/2008 12:48:42 AM)

J J Abrams new effort 'Fringe' starts on Sky1 this Sunday. Anyone gonna give it a shot? Seen mixed reviews for it, but like other Abrams efforts, it might need a few eps to get into it. Strangely for a J J Abrams show I've seen little or no promotion for the series.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Fringe (2/10/2008 2:48:02 AM)

I watched the 4th episode today and I'm still not sure what to make of the show. 

Jessica_ca_ca_ca -> RE: Fringe (2/10/2008 9:38:56 AM)

I've only seen one trailer of Fringe and read the synopsis from the new Sky mag. Enough to get me watching the pilot nonetheless (plus is has Pacey from Dawson's Creek!)

Joedini -> RE: Fringe (2/10/2008 11:40:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

Strangely for a J J Abrams show I've seen little or no promotion for the series.

Theres posters EVERYWHERE!

discodave101 -> RE: Fringe (2/10/2008 12:37:24 PM)

I'll agree about the lack of promotion. Before Lost started, C4 was pumping the clever ads for ages. Fringe however, apart from Sky1 adverts (which I hardly ever watch) I've seen nothing. I only know about the show cos I read about it on another forum.

I've read a lot of very mixed reviews, but I'll give it a go. If it ends up being like Alias, they'll just reinvent it halfway through the second season and make it miles better.

What I want to know is, are Uk broadcasters all showing the US shows pretty close to the American airings due to illegal file sharing, or is it due to the writers strike leaving too many gaps in schedules?

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Fringe (4/10/2008 9:21:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

What I want to know is, are Uk broadcasters all showing the US shows pretty close to the American airings due to illegal file sharing, or is it due to the writers strike leaving too many gaps in schedules?

I'd say it's the filesharing - think the strike's effects are mostly done with.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Fringe (5/10/2008 4:23:24 PM)

Yeah I'll probably give it a chance

sanchia -> RE: Fringe (5/10/2008 7:43:22 PM)

Having seen the first couple of episodes it does come across as being far from groundbreaking. There is a very generic X Files type of central premise with a very minor twist which is barely a twist. Overall having watched it I am left a touch ambivilent about it. I think the best way to sum it up is mediocre at best. It is not bad but far from good.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Fringe (5/10/2008 11:30:30 PM)

That was a good enough opening. I'll keep with it for a few weeks anyway

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 1:29:23 AM)

http://scienceandreligiontoday.blogspot.com/2008/09/fringe-episode-1-skin-melting-mind.html

I found this for anyone who was as confused as I was by the ending.  Still doesn't make sense why John helped the bad twin? Also why would they pardon someone who helped to kill a plane full of people? And why did the twins do it in the first place?

Beno -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 9:48:21 AM)

The US audience are hard to please these days and anything that doesnt have the ratings to get near Lost or Heroes - in this genre - gets cancelled . The opening had flashes of good stuff but needs to improve if its to survive past one season .

elab49 -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 10:09:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

http://scienceandreligiontoday.blogspot.com/2008/09/fringe-episode-1-skin-melting-mind.html

I found this for anyone who was as confused as I was by the ending.  Still doesn't make sense why John helped the bad twin? Also why would they pardon someone who helped to kill a plane full of people? And why did the twins do it in the first place?

All this does is summarise the ep - no 'revelation' if you'll pardon the analogy?

I'd assume the point of the ending is it is the story for the entire series so you don't expect it to be handed over too soon - even if they did dump the conspiracy thing in in one go as if it came from an entirely different series.

Peter Dragon -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 12:42:39 PM)

I liked it.
[image]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wUEhxHGCVs8/SER8b41ZqnI/AAAAAAAAA8o/NFBpla8hebI/Anna.jpg[/image]

Can't imagine why?[8D]
The isolation tank scene was riveting!! I'm easily pleased.

Poo. My picture didn't work

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 12:50:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

All this does is summarise the ep - no 'revelation' if you'll pardon the analogy?

I'd assume the point of the ending is it is the story for the entire series so you don't expect it to be handed over too soon - even if they did dump the conspiracy thing in in one go as if it came from an entirely different series.

I know I wanted something to summarise the episode.  I thought it was self contained and didn't make sense.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 12:56:58 PM)

I think it's good, the best thing about it is John Noble and the chemistry between his and Joshua Jackson's characters, they really make the show. I think Anna Torv is a weak lead and not that strong of an actress although maybe she's still finding her character.

Already its throwing its story strands out there and refusing to tie them up at the end of an episode, a la Lost. Now i love Lost, it's my alltime favourite show, but the refusal to tie anything up is what turned off a lot of early Lost viewers and i don't think it would be in Fringe's best interests to follow this template. The show is aiming to be both a freak of the week and an ongoing storyline type show, but it doesn't need to create quite as many infuriating loose ends as Lost. Obviously only 4 eps in, it is still setting up its 'universe' so perhaps it's a little early to say.

In true JJ Abrams style all cannot be what it seems. They're laying on the whole Massive Dynamic evil conspiracy thing so thickly, that I'm sure its a red herring.

It's well made and slick, but like i say, we'll see where it goes.

discodave101 -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 3:00:37 PM)

I found it extremely bland and unoriginal, which is a shame as I'm a big fan of Alias and Lost. I'll stick with it though, as Alias took its time to find its feet. The female lead isn't very interesting either. She's not what I'd consider eye candy and so far lacks any real charisma to allow the viewer to warm to her character. I'm sure they'll develop this over time though.

Anyone know how the viewing figures in the US are doing? Not sure I'll commit to this if its at a great risk of being cancelled. If it gets better and the reviews improve, I'll just catch up on DVD next year.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 4:07:16 PM)

quote:

Anyone know how the viewing figures in the US are doing? Not sure I'll commit to this if its at a great risk of being cancelled.

I wouldn't worry about Fringe, it's holding its own and Fox have given it a full season run- click

discodave101 -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 4:20:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

Anyone know how the viewing figures in the US are doing? Not sure I'll commit to this if its at a great risk of being cancelled.

I wouldn't worry about Fringe, it's holding its own and Fox have given it a full season run.

Cheers Shifty, although that does leave me a little dismayed, I must admit, but this is no time for me to start taking this thread down the 'Studio 60' and 'Firefly' route [:)]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 4:27:45 PM)

Even a full season is better than nothing, if they can tie up loose ends (like Studio 60). I have a feeling the show may last a bit longer though. 

elab49 -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 5:55:33 PM)

I think one of its few strengths is the female lead - she brings a gravitas and credibility to the role. Obviously I don't personally care if she is a less than credible barbie doll though.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 6:41:38 PM)

quote:

I think one of its few strengths

It had strengths? One of the daftest things I've seen on TV in recent years. Then again I never watched Lost and think Heroes is really poor stuff, so I'm probably not the intended market.

elab49 -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 7:00:23 PM)

I did watch Lost - and unlike the fans preference of assuming people left because it didn't tie ends up - as opposed to the writing became little short of atrocious and the show really rather dumb - and I quite liked the first series of Heroes, but didn't think it was high class TV. So my preference is still quality whatever the genre. [:)]

Daft doesn't necessarily mean bad though - you get good kinds of daft - your pic is one pretty obvious example of that......[;)]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 7:22:27 PM)

quote:

I did watch Lost - and unlike the fans preference of assuming people left because it didn't tie ends up - as opposed to the writing became little short of atrocious and the show really rather dumb - and I quite liked the first series of Heroes, but didn't think it was high class TV. So my preference is still quality whatever the genre. [:)]

Daft doesn't necessarily mean bad though - you get good kinds of daft - your pic is one pretty obvious example of that......[;)]

This was the bad kind of daft, like if this was my pic [:D]
[image]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1904/howardduck1qw2.jpg[/image]

elab49 -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 7:23:26 PM)

I'm borderline agreeing on Fringe - completely agree on Duckboy.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Fringe (6/10/2008 7:29:37 PM)

Actually I should amend what I said. I did actually enjoy the first 4 - 6 eps of Season 1 of Heroes, which seemed really interesting. But then nothing really happened and the plot dragged for ages with a pretty poor climax. I tried the first couple of eps of Season 2 and it didn't work at all.

I might give this another go, but with all the episodes at my fingertips. I find this kind of thing is best spun through really quickly so the plot holes don't grow too big and my interest doesn't wane too far.

Blunderbuss -> RE: Fringe (7/10/2008 4:30:07 AM)

Apparently Fringe has actually managed to increase its viewing figures in the US since the pilot, which is pretty rare for a TV show. Its also one of the best performing new shows (along with the Mentalist), suggesting that it will get a second season barring some unfortunate turn of events...

elab49 -> RE: Fringe (7/10/2008 11:22:37 AM)

But the pilot was a relatively low start, wasn't it? Quite worrying for them, in fact.

I'm enjoying the Mentalist more, thus far.

Jessica_ca_ca_ca -> RE: Fringe (7/10/2008 2:26:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I think it's good, the best thing about it is John Noble and the chemistry between his and Joshua Jackson's characters, they really make the show. I think Anna Torv is a weak lead and not that strong of an actress although maybe she's still finding her character.

Already its throwing its story strands out there and refusing to tie them up at the end of an episode, a la Lost. Now i love Lost, it's my alltime favourite show, but the refusal to tie anything up is what turned off a lot of early Lost viewers and i don't think it would be in Fringe's best interests to follow this template. The show is aiming to be both a freak of the week and an ongoing storyline type show, but it doesn't need to create quite as many infuriating loose ends as Lost. Obviously only 4 eps in, it is still setting up its 'universe' so perhaps it's a little early to say.

In true JJ Abrams style all cannot be what it seems. They're laying on the whole Massive Dynamic evil conspiracy thing so thickly, that I'm sure its a red herring.

It's well made and slick, but like i say, we'll see where it goes.

I agree. I think the only thing that's keeping me tuned in for next Sunday's ep is the Bishops' relationship.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Fringe (7/10/2008 2:43:18 PM)

quote:

But the pilot was a relatively low start, wasn't it? Quite worrying for them, in fact.

Yes, the pilot started quite poorly but it's getting better.

discodave101 -> RE: Fringe (7/10/2008 3:10:58 PM)

I've just realised, is this a US or UK thread? I notice someone mentions it being 4 episodes in above. May be best for whoever started the thread to edit the title, and if a new Sky One thread needs creating we'll do that.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI