RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (10/8/2011 6:24:03 PM)

My friends and I agree that that specific moment could have been much more powerful had the episode as a whole been better, and not based around one idea. IMO opinion it showed Walt to be a self involved, somewhat pretentious person who thinks himself above Jesse (and others) for no good reason. It was just such a change in character seeing as he started making meth for selfless reasons.

The majority of this particular episode (I think most things up until this point had been good) was just lazy: lazy writing, lazy ideas and lazy storytelling - when the primary aim for a television episode is to be entertaining.

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (11/8/2011 7:54:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

With that in mind, I disagree with the sentiment that any episode which features Walt's truly astonishing monologue where he describes his perfect time to die can be described as the worst anything. That's just a wonderful piece of writing and acting, and the way it highlights how everything that happens in Breaking Bad spirals out from Walt's initial decision to make meth.

I wholeheartedly concur.    The Fly episode is brilliant - 45/50 minutes of dialogue and it held my attention throughout.  Sumintelligentguy - the build up to Walt possibly telling Jesse about Jane was intense and had me gripped.   The build up wasn't for 'nothing', the build up in itself was powerful.

Anyway, just seen this week's episode.   I feel we're now truly back on track.  As I said in my previous post, I felt the first couple of episodes have been slow burners.   Especially when you consider some of the openers to the previous series - e.g The first 10 minutes of the opening episode to S1 is the most frenetic, random, memorable opening I've seen to any t.v show ever.     The opening 5 minutes to this episode was fantastic.  Mike's reaction to his mangled ear was typical of the dark humour that this show subtly contains.    Walt's now feeling the pressure again as Hank's back on his case which is certainly going to move the show along nicely.

I understand Jesse's mental state right now, but I have to admit some of the scenes at his house recently have bored me somewhat, so I'm glad we're moving on from that.

Can't wait for next week's episode.

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (11/8/2011 8:33:08 PM)

I think they've judged the pacing perfectly. I expected to feel a little impatient as this is the first year I've watched the show week by week, but one on the key skills in creating a serialised show like this is to get the most out of every situation, but without milking it by dragging it out, and I feel like that's exactly what they've done with the Jesse storyline so far this year. And as a whole, the writing for the show just seems super-confident about where it is and what it's trying to do - the structure of this episode is so odd (opening with the 15 minute Walter/Skyler bit and the climax involves Jesse who doesn't appear in the episode until halfway through), and while I've read a few online criticisms of that, I don't think the episode suffers from it at all.

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (15/8/2011 11:02:11 PM)

Well, after some negiotiating and AMC apparently continuing to lose the plot, it's been confirmed that we're going to be getting a fifth year of 16 episodes, though possibly to air in two blocks.

Epsiode five then - "Shotgun". I just loved the opening sequence with Walt driving like a maniac. When I mentioned changing gears about last week's episode, this is a great example, this sequence is just so ridiculously fast paced, and then there's that great montage bit later on when the boredom of  the long car journeys is emphasised with some terrific time-laspse footage. I'm gonna guess this episode cost a few quid.

Not quite so funny this week, but I did chuckle at Walter Jnr drinking from the Beneke mug.

Ethanial -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (15/8/2011 11:11:23 PM)

I want to take Breaking Bad around the back of the bike shed and get it pregnant.
Every week is mana from above.

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (16/8/2011 8:40:43 PM)

quote:

Well, after some negiotiating and AMC apparently continuing to lose the plot, it's been confirmed that we're going to be getting a fifth year of 16 episodes, though possibly to air in two blocks.

Epsiode five then - "Shotgun". I just loved the opening sequence with Walt driving like a maniac. When I mentioned changing gears about last week's episode, this is a great example, this sequence is just so ridiculously fast paced, and then there's that great montage bit later on when the boredom of  the long car journeys is emphasised with some terrific time-laspse footage. I'm gonna guess this episode cost a few quid.

Not quite so funny this week, but I did chuckle at Walter Jnr drinking from the Beneke mug.

What's the craic with AMC? I appear to have missed all this.  Great news there's been a 5th season confirmed - but why was there doubt in the first place?

The opening sequence of this week's episode was reminiscent of the opening of the very first episode, which I absolutely loved.  Both just throw you straight into the seat of the action.  At least this time we had an idea of what was going on.  I remember watching the first 5 mins of the very first episode thinking, 'what the fuck!?'. 

Really enjoyed this episode - for obvious reasons Breaking Bad to me is synonymous with desert-like landscape and great expanses of blue sky, and it returned to this familar environment this episode.  I particularly loved the time-lapse sequence, and actually, contrary to Cap'n Black's thoughts I actually found a lot to chuckle about in this episode.  C'mon - Jesse and Mike were a great double act.   Jesse's boredom grating on Mike, and Mike's authorative looks that needed no explanation.

God I love this show.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (16/8/2011 8:47:46 PM)

great episode, really loved it!

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (16/8/2011 9:30:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway
What's the craic with AMC? I appear to have missed all this.  Great news there's been a 5th season confirmed - but why was there doubt in the first place?

Briefly, yeah, but it was resolved quicker than the Mad Men negotiations. AMC don't own the show, and were trying to cut the episode count for a final season to between six and eight, which Gilligan and co. weren't happy with. There was even speculation that it was being shopped to a different network, FX.

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (22/8/2011 10:45:18 PM)

Loved the reversal of the Mike kicking ass opening from the earlier episode, with the cartel winning this round.

Surprised there wasn't any Hank after last week's episode, but so much other good stuff -- particularly the first use of a shovel-cam that I can recall on TV! I laughed so hard at Walt's completely self-absorbed "It's all about me" line, and Aaron Paul's reaction to it.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (23/8/2011 8:32:27 PM)

good episode, although skyler continues to get less likeable.

I love the scenes with Mike, great scene with him and Gus too.

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (23/8/2011 9:36:42 PM)

What don't you like about Skyler? I think she's been great this year, particularly since they integrated her into the main storyline through the car wash.

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (24/8/2011 10:01:35 PM)

"I'm not in danger Skyler, I. AM. THE. DANGER."

[sm=worship.gif]

I actually watched that part about 3 times in a row because Walt's sudden intensity took me aback so much.   That was brilliant!

I loved watching Mike and Jesse together in the car, and particularly loved Jesse getting the meth head involved in some random digging!  The shovel cam was fairly amusing - it's not the first time this series they've used a really interesting camera angle.

Got to admit I totally thought they were setting Walt Jnr up for a crash and death at the end there which would have caused no end of problems between Walter and Skyler.

Speaking of the latter - what was with the coin tossing?

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (24/8/2011 10:19:37 PM)

At the four corners monument you mean? Skyler was considering doing a runner. (And given what little I know about the four states in question: go to Colorado)

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (25/8/2011 1:39:38 PM)

quote:

At the four corners monument you mean? Skyler was considering doing a runner. (And given what little I know about the four states in question: go to Colorado)

That's what I thought originally.

shool -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (26/8/2011 12:05:36 PM)

Just caught up with the last 3 episodes of this. This show is just bloody brilliant.
I was squirming majorly with the hole that Jesse was getting into but to now see him teaming up with Mike is great.
Walt's self absorbed "all about me" was great. My favourite line was Mikes "Lets try plan A again" (or something similar).

galvatron -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (29/8/2011 10:16:15 PM)

What an ending to this week's episode. My mouth was wide open at that revelation! 

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (30/8/2011 9:33:36 PM)

I was concerned they were going to go for the cliche of nobody believing Hank, and instead just patronising him for the work he'd done while he was at a loose end.

I don't know why I worried, since Breaking Bad has never let me down yet.   And true to form they ended the episode with a BAM! Hank's been a busy boy.

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (30/8/2011 10:39:18 PM)

Yo Emmy, just give Aaron Paul the award right now, bitches.

Ahem.

Seriously though, how good was he in that confessional scene?

Anyone else think that they'd done a bit of creative editing in the scene where Hank details his investigation? There were a few cuts where the tone of his voice changed, like they'd missed out something. Probably just for time, but I always tend to wonder if something's been held back for plot purposes. And yeah, the fingerprint match was great. Don't mind the accelerated recovery of Hank's. Seems a tad unrealistic, but makes him a more active participant and that's a good thing.

So now Gus has the DEA about to apply the pressure from one direction, and in a scene which showed him at his most powerless, the cartel from the other. There's gonna be some gunfire.

shool -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (1/9/2011 1:59:04 PM)

Just caught up on this (Again! It sucks having a partner who doesnt want to watch it [:@])

What a great reveal, proving Hank is a first class copper. Things are going to get squeezed really tight for Gus soon and of course Walter and Jesse will get caught up in the cross fire.
Still loving Mikes cynicalness.

And yes give Aaron Paul the Emmy for yet another first class performance.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (4/9/2011 4:37:01 PM)

still great, still loving it. I agree that hanks scenes at the end of the last episode was superb. Looking forward to some kind of showdown between Walt and Gus at some point. I think keeping those characters apart is a slight detriment to the series and theyre both such good actors and work so well together, but we all know we'll be getting a juicy scene with them together at some point. No doubt at least the finale.

Man Skyler has really piled on the pounds this season. Go back to S 1-3 and she is like twice the size this season. it's actually kind of distracting.

Citizen Dildo -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (6/9/2011 8:53:37 PM)

I'm shocked that nobody's commented on "Hermanos" yet - another amazing episode! When I realised that we were getting some Gus flashbacks the excitement reminded me of the anticipation of a new Lost episode when you thought you were getting some new information on Locke's past or Alpert.

The final segment at Don Eladio's pool was fantastic. It did get me wracking my brain, trying to think of all the backstory we've had on Tio and the other Don who Gus stitched up back in season 3. Was there not a scene once where Hank interrogated Tio - did they know of his history then? Maybe irrelevant anyway.

I think all this context will certainly make a rewatch of the full series more rewarding.

Anyway looking at the present day stuff, what next for Gus? With the cartel on the scene, Hank Columbo....sorry Schrader and Walt's plans, is the end near for him? I definitely think Jesse's loyalty is still with Walt, even if he doesn't know that himself yet.

Final point - Saul. The man has been comedy gold in the last 2 episodes! Firstly with his "that's what the kids these days call an EPIC FAIL" and then this week talking to little Brock about seizing the day. Who wouldn't want to hire the man to deliver envelopes and wisdom to their loved ones!

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (6/9/2011 9:13:13 PM)

Saul has always been comedy gold. [:D] I think the funniest bit of this episode though was Mike's reaction in the background when he parked up near to Hank and Walt.

My question about this episode though is this: How did it make you feel about Gus? Because up to this point I've been waiting -- looking forward to -- his inevitable demise; and after this I'm not so sure it's heading that way at all. He's always been great to watch, but now they're making his ruthlessness admirable.

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (11/9/2011 2:21:46 PM)

quote:

Saul has always been comedy gold. [:D] I think the funniest bit of this episode though was Mike's reaction in the background when he parked up near to Hank and Walt.

My question about this episode though is this: How did it make you feel about Gus? Because up to this point I've been waiting -- looking forward to -- his inevitable demise; and after this I'm not so sure it's heading that way at all. He's always been great to watch, but now they're making his ruthlessness admirable.

Holy shit balls, Breaking Bad!!! This show is really outstanding.   As Citizen Dildo says, I think a full rewatch of the series will be great with all this new context.

I just love that this show has continued to suprise me time and time again.  Everytime I think it's going to go in an obvious direction, it doesn't. 

The meeting at the end was brilliant - I couldn't figure out what was going to happen, though I knew somebody was going to be shot.  I actually thought Gus' partner was going to pull a gun out on the big boss, until Hector disappeared to get drinks.  As a non-Spanish speaker, I think what made it more tense is the general urgency of the language.   I'm surprised though that they didn't start a couple of flashbacks to the glistening and bloody pool a couple of episodes back, much in the same way throughout S2 (or was it 3?) we kept seeing clips of the eye in the pool from the teddy until all was revealed.  The flashback to the meeting came out of nowhere - I guess it probably made it more impactful.

Captain Black makes an excellent point about Gus that I totally agree with - up until now he's been painted as fairly one sided - cold, calculating and ruthless.  But this episode has given us a whole new context for him.  And while it's not necessarily changed my opinion of him so quickly, it has certainly left me feeling less sorry for Hector.

What I love about Breaking Bad is that nothing feels rushed or dragged out.  The first couple of episodes of this season were fairly slow, but that's still not to say things have been dragged out.  Everything unfolds at the right time.

And Mike's deadpan expression when he pulled up alongside Hank and Walt was priceless.  I actually skipped back and watched it again! [:D]

Captain Black -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (12/9/2011 9:37:47 PM)

And this episode I'm all "Go on Jesse, poison him!" [:D]

Again, so so great. That sniper shot was shocking, as was Gus walk out to meet it. Although he had the advantage over us that he knows what the cartel have asked for.

Liked the Skyler scenes too, though I'm not sure if ignorance is in fact protection in the eyes of the law. Hmmmm. I expect that to be revisited.

The Walt Jesse fight was tragic. I think they're past the point of no return at this point, particularly now that Mike has supplanted Walt as Jesse surrogate parent/mentor. And what next? Does Walt, bruised and bloodied, volunteer to go to Mexico in place of Jesse?

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight.
Rising up to the challenge of our rivals

shool -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (13/9/2011 2:58:52 PM)

This programme still reigns supreme as the most stressful thing on TV.

The Walter - Jesse fight was gutting. I wanted them to make up afterwards as its sad to see their loyalty to each other go down the toilet. I have absolutely no idea how this is going to pan out which is what is so good about this show. The writing and performances are all absolutely terrific.
The only thing i didnt really enjoy (as usual) was the Skylar/Ted story. No doubt Skylar will bail him out and that will bite them in the arse as everything always seems to.

The downward spiral continues. This show certainly doesnt make it seem all blue sky and roses to be a drug dealer.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (14/9/2011 8:16:57 AM)

Last weeks episode was great as there was no skylar, this weeks.... oh well. I really dislike her character. Other than that lots of good stuff, i just wish walt and jessie would patch things up!

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (14/9/2011 8:37:15 AM)

I LOVE Breaking Bad.

That will be all.

galvatron -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (19/9/2011 5:03:46 PM)

What an episode. Gus is truly a bad ass from hell. 

Sway -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (19/9/2011 6:13:26 PM)

Holy crap, episode 10 was brilliant.

Although my only niggle about it is that Gus' choice of excecution method was fairly dubious.   So many variables could have screwed it up - Don Eladio and/or the rest of his cartel could have refused to drink any there and then.  Or only some of them could have chosen to have a drink.    Obviously there's not much point in going into 'ifs' and 'buts', but it just does seem a bit lucky the whole scenario played out as planned.  Asides from Mike being injured at the end.

Anyway regardless, it was great.  I think we all knew that Gus wouldn't actually capitulate to the cartel, and again when it came to the poolside scenes there was that familiar increase in tension as we waited for the inevitable to happen.

Walt and Walt Jnr was touching to watch.  Walt's face after his big monologue about not wanting Walt Jnr to remember him as he was last night, then Walt Jnr replying it was better that than the memories of the whole past year, was heartbreaking - it looked totally crestfallen.

Also, Saul's line about 'celebrities' needing their cars washed aswell - [:D]

How many more eps are there left?

Edit: Morris from 24!!! I could NOT figure out where I knew him from at all!

galvatron -> RE: Breaking Bad US Speed - Series 4 premiere 17th July (19/9/2011 7:46:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Holy crap, episode 10 was brilliant.

Although my only niggle about it is that Gus' choice of excecution method was fairly dubious.   So many variables could have screwed it up - Don Eladio and/or the rest of his cartel could have refused to drink any there and then.  Or only some of them could have chosen to have a drink.    Obviously there's not much point in going into 'ifs' and 'buts', but it just does seem a bit lucky the whole scenario played out as planned.  Asides from Mike being injured at the end.

Anyway regardless, it was great.  I think we all knew that Gus wouldn't actually capitulate to the cartel, and again when it came to the poolside scenes there was that familiar increase in tension as we waited for the inevitable to happen.

Walt and Walt Jnr was touching to watch.  Walt's face after his big monologue about not wanting Walt Jnr to remember him as he was last night, then Walt Jnr replying it was better that than the memories of the whole past year, was heartbreaking - it looked totally crestfallen.

Also, Saul's line about 'celebrities' needing their cars washed aswell - [:D]

How many more eps are there left?

Edit: Morris from 24!!! I could NOT figure out where I knew him from at all!

I think that it was a good method cos Gus knew exactly what the capos were going to do and played to it. For a long while I thought Gus was gonna get shot by the pool and then that he was gonna sacrifice himself and make Jessie/Mike take over!

Also, how awesome was the bit when Jessie told everyone what to do. Awesome.

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI