Del Toro Commits To Universal Until 2017 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Del Toro Commits To Universal Until 2017 (4/9/2008 7:43:14 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Chris Hewitt -> First! (4/9/2008 7:43:14 AM)

Oh, wait. I wrote the news story.

Bugger.

Timon -> Hang on... (4/9/2008 8:23:01 AM)

I thought Hellboy 2 did ok at the US box office. Didn't it open with $50 million +? Isn't it doing well overseas? I thought it had already made its budget back........

Dave_C1977 -> Box Office (4/9/2008 8:30:53 AM)

$35m opening, $75m taken so far at the US box office.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2008&p=.htm

Another $25m taken overseas
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/yearly/

dave_0989 -> Bugger (4/9/2008 8:36:49 AM)

Helboy III in development hell, not good, but frankenstein and mountains of madness, never read the book, are the films i really want to see and hellboy III and i hope universal can look past the money and see that the die hard fans want to see more of the big guy the actors do and so do the critics

Drew_231 -> RE: Bugger (4/9/2008 9:23:34 AM)

Honestly I would rather see the Mountains of Madness film than this ridiculous sequel to the Hobbit

sorry, still not happy about the idea

jimoakley666 -> Bollocks to the yanks. (4/9/2008 9:52:40 AM)

I wanna see Hellboy 3. Shop it to Working Title, ha ha.

I'd rather see more Hellboy than Hobbit, too. Lord of the Rings never clicked with me. I found it over long, over boring and rather bloody tedious, as was the whole Star Wars thing in my opinion.

Can't wait to see his Frankenstein though. Just a shame we have to wait so feckin' long....

Acho -> RE: First! (4/9/2008 10:03:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Hewitt

Oh, wait. I wrote the news story.

Bugger.

A staff member doing a 'first'?! You should burn in Hell, boy.

I do hope that del Toro is contractually, and emotionally and not-too-exhausted-ly, free to do the odd smaller Spanish-language film between the big Universal ones. He seems to have a good working relationship with the studio (nicely apt, given their history), but it would be good to have him free to do something completely different if he wanted.

'twould be a pity if Hellboy III didn't come to pass though.

matthewforan -> RE: First! (4/9/2008 10:41:55 AM)

Can't wait to see his take on Frankenstein and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Those two should be awesome especially since their both some dark and pretty scary. Bring on the future.

charlesmoonshrub -> THE WITCHES!!!!!!!!! (4/9/2008 10:57:52 AM)

GODDAMMIT, WHEN IS HE GONNA DO 'THE WITCHES'???? HE'S WRITTEN THE FUCKING SCRIPT, SO JUST DO IT ALREADY! 'THE HOBBIT' CAN SHIT OFF, I WANT 'THE WITCHES'... rant over

evildave69 -> Slaughterhouse 5 (4/9/2008 11:13:01 AM)

This is the killer for me. To be honest I have absolutely no idea how he'd go about making the film (although perhaps that's why I'm not making them) being that it's brilliant but totally bizarre.
People, please read the book. It's funny, cool, extremely touching and most importantly, short enough to read in a day.

Metal Gimp -> ATMOM!!!! (4/9/2008 12:12:04 PM)

DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!!!!

doctorolorinbats1975 -> (4/9/2008 1:24:19 PM)

There's always the chance he'll pass on some projects and remain as producer. He's a passionate filmmaker, that's for sure.

Prophet_of_Doom -> RE: (4/9/2008 2:14:46 PM)

How can Slaughterhouse Five be described as unfilmable, when it's already been made into a film?!  And a very creditable and well-received film at that (made in the seventies I think).

clarkkent -> (4/9/2008 2:32:04 PM)

was hellboy 2 dissapointing Box office wise? Sorry but did it make a profit? yes, yes i believe it did. Hence it not being a flop like you idiots claimed x files was (which it wasn't as it made a profit)
You clearly don't understand that films are a success as long as they make a profit. Its only when they loose money that they're a flop. Like the Island.

andrewwickliffe -> good grief (4/9/2008 2:32:57 PM)

when did guillermo del toro wake up and decide to suck?
a frankenstein remake? Dr. Jekyll?
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
Because the last Slaughterhouse Five worked so well...
argh. Mountains of Madness will never happen...

olisomenzi -> RE: (4/9/2008 3:49:06 PM)

Hey little man, why don't you breathe and relax?
They said that Hellboy's boxoffice was disappointing (and not diSSapointing by the way!) and disappointing it was when compared to the studio's expectations. Empire never claimed that the movie flopped or didn't make a profit (I'm not sure the movie has made a profit at that stage anyway since you need to add the marketing and distribution costs to the production costs).
Anyway, next time, you might want to read properly the article before you fire a reply. So who's the idiot now?

kinge247 -> RE: RE: (4/9/2008 4:27:18 PM)

Guillermo is a true visionary director. It would be such a shame if HB3 did not get made as HB2 was absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for The Hobbit films and its good to see a director with the calibur of Del Toro linked to the re- imagining of some of Universals top monsters, about time in my opinion.

SeanValen -> Dark Knight eated into Hell Boy 2's Box Office (4/9/2008 5:12:53 PM)

The thing is,Hell Boy 2 had just one week by itself, before the Dark Knight came out, and that hurt the following weeks box office for Hell Boy 2, such was the hype for Batman. It should of made 100 million, but sort of limped to 75 million. It'll make a profit on dvd for sure.

Spaldron -> RE: Dark Knight eated into Hell Boy 2's Box Office (4/9/2008 5:53:55 PM)

Hellboy will always cater to a more niche market. Even the comics arent that succesful compared to Batman and all thr rest. Thats why no matter who the director is, it'll never be mega at the box office. Lets face it there isnt that big a market for comic-book monster movies these days.

Which is kind of a shame considering how good the films are and clearly how much love and passion the filmakers have for the project.

Neth -> RE: (4/9/2008 6:05:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarkkent

was hellboy 2 dissapointing Box office wise? Sorry but did it make a profit? yes, yes i believe it did. Hence it not being a flop like you idiots claimed x files was (which it wasn't as it made a profit)

The second X-Files movie hasn't made a profit, and won't do so until it starts racking up DVD sales. On a purely theatrical level, it's been a failure - its worldwide gross so far hasn't even recouped the production budget, let alone the marketing campaign.

Drew_231 -> RE: (4/9/2008 6:23:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarkkent

You clearly don't understand that films are a success as long as they make a profit. Its only when they loose money that they're a flop. Like the Island.

Do you have to insult everyone with every post you make? There really is no call for it

Anyway, a Jekyll and Hyde film could be interesting, but i cant understand why he is having such problems with the Lovecraft one. Thats an author who is more suited to Del Toro than any of those mentioned. I mean who doesnt want to see him do that movie?

jimoakley666 -> RE: good grief (4/9/2008 6:35:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewwickliffe

when did guillermo del toro wake up and decide to suck?
a frankenstein remake? Dr. Jekyll?
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE?
Because the last Slaughterhouse Five worked so well...
argh. Mountains of Madness will never happen...

Bloody hell. I hate that americanised slang; "suck". This sucks. That sucks. Fucking vacuum cleaners suck. So do tornados and goldfish and lungs. Are you saying he's decided to be like a vacuum cleaner? Just go the whole hog and use the original terminology and actually suggest that for some reason you think del Toro 'sucks cock'. Bloody odd turn of phrase.

End of rant.

But to be serious for a sec, bud; It's hardly a remake if it's based on the book unlike the other hundred or so adaptions. If was a retread of one of the previous original takes, then it could maybe be loosely called a remake otherwise it's HIS adaption of the source material and therefore an original movie.

niallc15 -> oooh coool ! (4/9/2008 9:28:01 PM)

del toro making dr jekyll and mr hyde sounds awesome tbh.

Gavinf1 -> Del Toro??? (4/9/2008 9:36:04 PM)

Don't get me wrong i'm a huge fan of Pans Labrynth, but. What has Del Toro actually done thats so amazing to have everyman and his dog so excited? Hellboy, Devils Backbone? I think not!

Horrorguru -> Screw The Hobbit (5/9/2008 1:39:38 PM)

H.P. Lovecraft's At The Mountainsof Madness, will kick ass.
who needs bilbo running around forest's with queer dwarfs
when you can have a dark apocalyptic tale from Lovecraft.
i'm sorry Tolkein fans, TLOTR was boring.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI