Stephen Sommers To Direct Tarzan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Stephen Sommers To Direct Tarzan (3/9/2008 7:53:05 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Timon -> (3/9/2008 7:53:05 AM)

I've always wanted to see a decent live action Tarzan film, after all the scope is rather vast but the thing is that the books and Disney film showed The Lord of Greystoke as being able to do things, your average human couldn't do... and that's going to be hard to pull off live action.

Still, it has to be better than Greystoke.

Snake-Eyes -> Sommers = No Talent (3/9/2008 9:04:38 AM)

well, the moaning has to start somewhere; so, Tarzan eh? remember way back in the early 90's he did THE JUNGLE BOOK? he messed that up pretty good. DEEP RISING was just cheap, late night TV fodder. THE MUMMY movies aren't worth a second thought, neither is that god-awful Jackman film. Sommers is now set to ruin G.I. JOE (you've probably guessed I'm a fan). anyhoo, I'll pass. it's a shame really, Del Toro's version would have been worth the wait.

Marwood -> Ah, crap (3/9/2008 9:26:35 AM)

Bullshit. All we'll get from Sommers is the same as before: over the top action, corny one liners and bad CG.
Del Toro's vision of the jungle and the ape community could have been great but with Sommers it'll be George of the friggin Jungle all over again (coincidentally starring Brendan Fraser).

Along with Brett Ratner and Rob Cohen I wish Sommers would just feckin retire. He's made his millions, now hit the feckin road.

jimoakley666 -> Aw, Bollocks! (3/9/2008 9:47:58 AM)

This'll turn out shit. Not good. And here I was thinkin' with Guillermo del Toro attatched we'd get our first true addaption of the novels(s). When he went over to the Hobit I thought / hoped maybe we'd have someone like Juan Antonio Bayona or Alfonso Cuarón directing with del Toro as an Exec...

Nicky C -> Have to agree... (3/9/2008 9:55:32 AM)

Del Toro's version of 'pulp' and Sommers' version of 'pulp' can not possibly be the same thing. Compare Blade 2 to Van Helsing. Sommers' is one of those people who thinks FX = excitement. He is wrong. I imagine his Tarzan movie will be a lot like the awfyl Indy sequence with the CG monkeys, but 2 hours long. Bet you anything there won't be one real animal in it, and it will totally miscast. I have lost interest in this movie completely.

Vito_Andolini -> RE: Aw, Bollocks! (3/9/2008 9:57:11 AM)

If (and that's a big if) Sommers can find the spirit/essence of the first Mummy film then he would probably be the best man for the job after Del Toro and Jackson.  However based on recent performances I'd say the odds were about 4/1 against.

waltham1979 -> (3/9/2008 10:48:08 AM)

Del Toro to Sommers?? ... now thats one hell of a giant leap backwards !!!

Angusto -> (3/9/2008 11:19:50 AM)

Judging by the Crystal Skull I had been expecting to hear this announcement from a different Stephen or a "Steven" to be precise.

Big Red -> (3/9/2008 1:36:23 PM)

I just hope we get the proper ER Burroughs this time! The Mahar and all that crazy stuff!!

waltham1979 -> (3/9/2008 2:23:22 PM)

will Christopher Lambert be in this one?? OR perhaps we should start a petition to have Nathan Fillion in it??

lukeyboy -> RE: (3/9/2008 2:46:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltham1979

will Christopher Lambert be in this one?? OR perhaps we should start a petition to have Nathan Fillion in it??

Where do i sign??........

mighty mick -> Stephen Sommers is the poorman's Michael Bay (3/9/2008 5:14:12 PM)

mighty mick -> (3/9/2008 5:14:39 PM)

And that is saying much.

Sphinx -> RE: (3/9/2008 9:16:54 PM)

.....It's been about twenty years, we need a new one - would Johnny Depp in a loin cloth be too much to ask?[8D]

grucl -> RE: RE: (4/9/2008 1:15:15 PM)

The perfect Tarzan movie already exists:

[image]http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/233/482/52/Tarzan.JPG[/image]

No need for this one!

CORLEONE -> RE: RE: (4/9/2008 2:19:11 PM)

Sommers? Cue loads of CGI apes. Fuck's sake.

broonie -> RE: RE: (4/9/2008 4:50:17 PM)

I have to confess, I actually like Deep Rising, quality B-movie fare like Tremors.

The Mummy was actually quite good, only cheapened by a really shit sequel. I havent seen the third one but I've been told its worse than The Mummy Returns.

Sommers needs a hit after the abomination that was Van Helsing (which I still cant figure out how he ballsed that up), and I've no interest in GI Joe, so we will just have to wait and see.

Sphinx -> RE: RE: (4/9/2008 4:51:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

'Flashbacks to Shia swinging on vines with the monkeys'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Damn it Corleone, do you know how long it took to get that fucker of an awful scene out of my head?![:@][;)]

CORLEONE -> RE: RE: (4/9/2008 4:53:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sphinx

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

'Flashbacks to Shia swinging on vines with the monkeys'

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Damn it Corleone, do you know how long it took to get that fucker of an awful scene out of my head?![:@][;)]

I feel your pain, brother. [:D]

Mason Verger -> RE: Stephen Sommers To Direct Tarzan (4/9/2008 5:49:56 PM)

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MK72RPSPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg[/image]

The Jungle Book is Stephen Sommers best film.
[sm=augen14.gif]

Nimrods Son -> RE: Stephen Sommers To Direct Tarzan (7/9/2008 6:53:03 PM)

With Del Toro attached I was boarderline interested but with Sommers?
Bye-bye!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI