TNA (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

theoriginalcynic -> TNA (8/8/2008 11:22:31 PM)

Ok, the WWE thread is one of the most popular threads on this forum and it's about time we had a TNA thread.  Now, I'm not the biggest TNA fan in the world but I intend to start watching Impact more.  For those who don't know you can watch it on dailymotion.

So, it's Booker T vs Joe in a six sides of steel match on Sunday.  I believe it's on Bravo 2 next Wednesday.  Who is your money on?

TNA has some fine women - Velvet Sky, So Cal Val but my personal favourite is Christy Hemme (WWE were crazy to let her go) I like her gimmick with the rock tag team even if it's a rip off of Rock n Roll Express.

I don't like the following gimmicks - Shark Boy, Curry Man or Jay Lethal's Macho Man gimmick.  All good wrestlers esp Lethal but awful gimmicks.

Obviously TNA has some fantastic wrestlers - A J Styles, Kurt Angle, Booker T ect... but I can't help feeling like people like Joe would be mid card in WWE

So, thoughts on TNA?

Heywood -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:02:02 AM)

I think there is already a TNA thread, but it has been inactive for ages. Anyway, I had been watching Impact over the last few months, but the quality of the show over the last couple of weeks has gone down quite a bit. They have some talented wrestlers and the PPVs are often good, but the booking is often really dumb. As usual for Russo, they just like to have swerves for the sake of it.

I mostly enjoy the Knockouts wrestle, and no not for the T+A. The women you named, Cynic, are probably the worst in the ring for TNA (even if they are hot). On last week's show, they had the Knockouts main event, which ended up getting the highest rated segment. I would say the booking for the women is a lot better than for the men in TNA.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:10:54 AM)

Yeah I noticed they are booking the women as the main event (on Impact).  I'm a couple of weeks behind but hopefully I will be caught up by the next ppv.  I'm enjoying Styles and Angle and Joe and Booker on Impact.  The women's champion seems pretty decent in the ring.   TNA is a novelty to me at the moment as I'm just getting back into it.  First Impact in well a long time... but as I said I've never watched it regulary before.  I've seen the wrestlers at house shows on 1PW and met some of them.  If there's weaknesses I'll talk about 'em like I do with the WWE product ha ha! [:)] 

Heywood -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:18:51 AM)

It may be worth trying to catch a TNA house show when they come here early next year. The tour a few months back was really popular and apparently the matches were excellent. They just let the guys have straight-up matches with no Russo bullshit.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:28:00 AM)

TNA need to cut the costume crap out - that's one thing I like about WWE no over the top gimmick's anymore.  Shark Boy, Curry Man and the other dude in the costume, Jay Lethal plus the the guy dressed as Steiner.  It's overkill - why TNA feel the need to have wrestlers pretend to be ex-WWE superstars I don't know.  Macho Man and Austin hu? i can't imagine WWE ever doing that...

Angle vs Styles last man standing at Hard Justice nice

Heywood -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:41:46 AM)

If you hate the costumes now, just wait until you get caught up with Impact. Curry Man, Sharky and Super Eric are now the "Prince Justice Brotherhood". Half of last week's show was their antics. Pretty dumb. I wish Daniels would go back to being the Fallen Angel.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:47:08 AM)

Is that Daniel's in the other costume then? Oh no...how low has he sunk.  A great wrestler of his ability should not be taking part in that storyline. 

Heywood -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 12:53:15 AM)

Daniels is Curryman. Eric Young is the other guy. I actually think Curryman is quite fun and Sharkboy does a great Austin impression, but all three together is just way too much.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 1:05:49 AM)

Will see if I can get last Thursday's Impact watched tomorrow and leave my thoughts then...

MBeard -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 9:05:05 AM)

Curryman is a Japanese and American 'indy' wrestling legend. Daniels did that gimmick for years before he signed with TNA, and finally brough him to TNA after all this time.

As for TNA themselves, I actually work TNA shows when they come over to the UK. Quality quality stuff, surrounded with nice pleasant people when they're out of the ring, and some of the most awesome wrestlers when they're in there.

Rotary Ten -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 9:46:37 AM)

I usually watch the TNA PPVs (or at least the main event) because I tried watching Impact regularly and couldn't stand all the nonsensical booking. Obviously TNA has a great roster, a pretty good mix of ex-WWE and talent from elsewhere, e.g. Christian (Cage),  - WWE's loss quite frankly, a far better talent than Cena, Batista of JBL, at least TNA gave him the main event spot he deserves. Obviously people like AJ, Angle and a long list of others. If only they'd cut the rubbishy booking and comedy angles, then it would be essential viewing, because the wrestlers are great. They need a drastic change on commentary though, my suggestion for a colour commentator is Kevin Nash, always great on the mic, but I don't know about a play-by-play man. I imagine the chances of actually getting Joey Styles are slim.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 11:45:16 AM)

Slightly unfair to say that Cage is better then Cena and Batista.  Dave has had some great feuds and matches in recent years against Taker ect... Cena has sloppy punches but he's also had some good matches and he loves the wrestling business.  Cage is a decent talent but to me (maybe contoversial) he is a mid carder and not a main event talent.  Compare him to Edge and you'll see what I mean.   Now if you'd have said Angle or Styles then you'd probably have a case...

Agree with your points about TNA - they do need to stop overbooking matches and leave the comedy alone.  Daniels is a good wrestler but I still hate his curry man gimmick.  It makes wrestling look childish and for children

Rotary Ten -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 2:17:53 PM)

I agree that Cena and Batista have had some great matches and feuds in the last 3 years or so, and they deserve to be in WWE's main event scene for those performances. But I think Christian has a natural talent on the mic, something that the likes of Cena, Batista or Orton just don't have. Cena has improved to be fair, but he doesn't have such a natural talent. Batista and Orton are just boring whenever they talk. His (Christian) matches are never less than solid, and certainly no worse than the current crop of main eventers in WWE. I think he'd fit in to WWE's main event slot comfortably. Put it this way - I'd rather see Christian get a main event push in WWE than Jeff Hardy. Mind you though, at least he has main evented TNA events now, so he's got to the level he deserves in my view. If he ever came back to WWE, a feud with Edge would be fantastic. They're one of the few major tag teams to have have both won world singles titles, which as a fan of them, is great to see.

Back to TNA's booking problems, the main issue is that when the get it right (e.g. Angle vs Joe at Lockdown) they always go back to the comedy, gimmick matches and overbooking. It's frustrating to see wrestlers being used seriously one moment, and stupidly the next.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 3:38:01 PM)

You see I'm probably being unfair as I haven't really seen him that much in TNA - I'm judging him from his days in WWE.  But I disagree about one point - I'd rather see Matt or Jeff pushed to main event then Christian.  I was always more of a Hardy fan then an E and C fan. 

Rotary Ten -> RE: TNA (9/8/2008 5:50:56 PM)

Ah, well you see I was more of an Edge & Christian fan. [;)] I can't be too harsh on Matt or Jeff though, as they're struggling to get to the top as well, and Jeff was in one of my favourite ever matches (vs RVD at InVasion). I haven't got it yet, but TNA released a Christian Cage DVD a while ago, as I missed out on his first year or so in TNA, it'll be good to see, especially as it includes an interview discussing his career and some pre-WWE E&C footage.

TNA isn't going to be on WWE's level for a long time yet, but they can give pushes to people who wouldn't get a push in WWE, but still on a national level. The company is best when it does this, as well as creating innovative matches like the Angle-Joe match from Lockdown or the X division (at its best), and the Knockouts, far in advance of WWE's own women's division. My message to TNA - do more of this!

theoriginalcynic -> Impact (9/8/2008 10:55:28 PM)

Just watched Impact and compared to WWE it came across as amatuer hour.  The main event was good but overbooked - the eliminations were too quick and there wasn't enough time to do it justice.  Angle and Styles made the match everyone else paled in comparison.  Ouch did you see Angle cut his head on the ladder? That was nasty as was the glass table stunt.  Homicide is brave.  The womens division was good again (no Christy Hemme shame) The rest of the show was fairly forgettable...in fact I've forgotten it already. 

Rotary Ten -> RE: Impact (10/8/2008 4:42:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

Just watched Impact and compared to WWE it came across as amatuer hour.

You should have been watching it during the weeks leading up to Bound For Glory last year. If you can tell me what the Angle-Sting feud was about, you must be a genius.

John_P -> RE: Impact (10/8/2008 9:42:21 PM)

To be fair to Petey Williams (Little Petey Pump) his gimmick is hes Scott Steiners protege, hence why he dresses similar to him, and before Scotts recent injury he would be in his corner for matches. Also in real life Steiner is his manager.

saw them in Liverpool back in June, absolutlely quality event. Going to the one in manchester as well in january.

jediwarrior -> RE: Impact (11/8/2008 9:14:32 AM)

Are the PPV on telly in the UK. I know there a normal show on Saturday nights.

Frank Castle -> RE: Impact (11/8/2008 11:28:10 AM)

I thought they were on bravo or that wrestling channel? To be honest i only ever download there ppv's never watch impact, but it cant be any worse then wwe latest tv which has been awful now for 2 long.
The ppv's they put on are usually enjoyable in places (no worse then any recent ppv either, when did they last have a real good ppv? summerslam doesnt look to change that either?) but so many gimmick matchs which suck, at last nights there were shouts of fire russo! which would prob be a good idea, Its a shame there roster is almost as good as wwe if booked proper could compete.
Cage is better wrestler then batista and cena imo just wasnt big enougth for vince so was never gonna be main event him. Cage has had better matchs then both of them in recent years. You can compare him to edge yes and maybe he's not on-par with him he's more so the average orton. Edge is the best heel in wwe by a mile right now.

Rotary Ten -> RE: Impact (11/8/2008 3:12:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jediwarrior

Are the PPV on telly in the UK. I know there a normal show on Saturday nights.

They are on Bravo (or Bravo 2) on the Wednesday after the PPV. Hard Justice was last night (Booker T vs Samoa Joe in the main event) so it'll be on Bravo this week. I think they usually go from 9pm-1am.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Impact (11/8/2008 7:53:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank Castle

I thought they were on bravo or that wrestling channel? To be honest i only ever download there ppv's never watch impact, but it cant be any worse then wwe latest tv which has been awful now for 2 long.
The ppv's they put on are usually enjoyable in places (no worse then any recent ppv either, when did they last have a real good ppv? summerslam doesnt look to change that either?) but so many gimmick matchs which suck, at last nights there were shouts of fire russo! which would prob be a good idea, Its a shame there roster is almost as good as wwe if booked proper could compete.
Cage is better wrestler then batista and cena imo just wasnt big enougth for vince so was never gonna be main event him. Cage has had better matchs then both of them in recent years. You can compare him to edge yes and maybe he's not on-par with him he's more so the average orton. Edge is the best heel in wwe by a mile right now.

Dude I seem to have a habit of disagreeing with you at the moment but so it continues...

If you think WWE is bad then you're obviously not watching the right matches or angles.  Yes there's a lot of crap but there's much to enjoy.

Jeff vs Benji was a superb match this week.  Y2J has had some blinding promos.  Edge has too.  HBK vs Y2J - Punk as champ - the dirt sheet with miz and morrison.  Great fatal fourway just last week on ECW.  Evan Bourne to name but a few good things.

Wrestlemania was a great ppv in April.  I prefer Orton to Edge as top heel but I still like Edge.  I think cena has a like-ability that Cage doesn't have - he's not on the level of the Rock or Austin but I still see him as a main event star.  Batista is much improved and good for a big man

Hey if we all agreed they'd be no point to a wrestling thread

Fletcher -> RE: Impact (11/8/2008 11:29:22 PM)

Cant believe no one has mentioned the Motor City Machine Gunners yet. Chris Sabin and Alex Shelley are perhaps the most exciting tag team in wrestling at the momment. I agree that TNA suffers dreadfully from overbooking and stupid gimmicks. But before Russo came in i would argue that TNA was actually superior to WWE as many of its PPVs were better from top to bottom than WWE's and Impact was an entertaining programme.

Heywood -> RE: Impact (11/8/2008 11:54:25 PM)

The MCMG's are a great team and are really over with the fans, but for some reason TNA seems reluctant to really push them, probably stemming from some minor discretion last year. The same thing lead to Tomko asking for his release recently (seems WWE are interested in re-signing him). Creative were also considering breaking up LAX, but seem to have come to their senses.

The PPV last night sounded pretty typical TNA fare. Some great matches (esp Angle-Styles), but marred by stupid gimmicks and ridiculous post-match angles and swerves. There was the usual Fire Russo chant at one point. Trouble is, it's not just him that writes the crap angles. Fellow creative team members Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantell are apparently equally responsible. I just wish they would just let the wrestlers do what they do best: put on great matches. Yes, some storyline is needed for a great feud, but make it a believable one.

Rotary Ten -> RE: Impact (12/8/2008 12:26:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Heywood

The PPV last night sounded pretty typical TNA fare. Some great matches (esp Angle-Styles), but marred by stupid gimmicks and ridiculous post-match angles and swerves. There was the usual Fire Russo chant at one point. Trouble is, it's not just him that writes the crap angles. Fellow creative team members Jeff Jarrett and Dutch Mantell are apparently equally responsible. I just wish they would just let the wrestlers do what they do best: put on great matches. Yes, some storyline is needed for a great feud, but make it a believable one.

I hear good things about how great it is to work for Dixie Carter (as opposed to work for Vince McMahon), and how great it is to attend a TNA show as opposed to a WWE show, TNA has an arguably more talented roster than WWE, or one that at least works hard at making it look that way, but the company keeps letting itself down all the time, with bad angles, gimmicks and swerves. Ratings and buyrates have not improved. The problem is with the writers. To quote Mark Kermode: "everyone involved should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves."

jediwarrior -> RE: Impact (14/8/2008 9:05:24 AM)

Starting watching TNA Impact last night. All I can say is Curry Man WTF!!! It's like WWF in the 80's and early 90's all over again.

Still at least they have the lovely Gail Kim [sm=wub.gif]

Rotary Ten -> RE: Impact (14/8/2008 3:17:50 PM)

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/article1553248.ece - WHAT??!! What's the odds that TNA's ratings will not move at all as a result of this? [;)]

Heywood -> RE: Impact (14/8/2008 3:46:17 PM)

I wouldn't believe that story until it is officially announced. Foley has talked about going to TNA in the past, only to get a better deal with WWE. TNA sources have apparently been denying any contact. It does seem like Foley is all but done with WWE at the moment though. He has made enough money that he doesn't really have to put up with any crap from Vince.

Rotary Ten -> RE: Impact (14/8/2008 4:46:34 PM)

I can see that it's speculation at this stage. It would vastly improve their product if he were to commentate for TNA, but in the ring? To be honest, there's nobody in TNA that I'd like to see him go up against, so I wouldn't see this as a reason for me to watch Impact.

Sleazy -> RE: Impact (15/8/2008 12:33:47 PM)

TNA really is a mixed bag. I love alot of the X division stuff, MCMG vs just about anybody is always a goog match.

The Knockouts are superb, I love the way they focus on women who can actually wrestle, awesome kong was pushed and had some great matches with the ever reliable Gail Kim. Even the t&a aspects like Beautiful People can wrestle a lot better than their WWE counterparts (theres only really Natalya and Victoria I really rate).

The gimmicks are a bit odd, some are ok but theres a few too many at the moment.

I was impressed to see Doug Williams on there, someone should sign him up, that rolling german suplex is amazing.

Mid card has a lot of potential, Beer Money and  Kaz being excellent.

main event has its flaws though, whilst the likes of Cage and Joe are great I cant remember the last time Nash or Steiner had a good match.

lastly is there a better move in wrestling than the Canadian Destroyer?

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI