Red Dwarf appreciation thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

*Jack of all Trades* -> Red Dwarf appreciation thread (31/12/2005 7:34:09 PM)

I've been watching some episodes recently on DVD, I'm rapidly turing into a fangeek and I've always liked the show anyway and I thought there isn't a thread on it so I'll start one. If you're unfamiliar with it, It's an hilarious programme about a robot called Kryten, a hologram called Rimmer , a cat-turned-human called Cat and an actual human called Lister (and also a female human later on called Konchanski or something) and their adventures in space.

So are there any other fans of the show? Post your comments here.

nols31 -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (1/1/2006 3:03:54 PM)

I loved the show and the commentaries on the DVD are great . But it lost its rawness about the end of season 4 , and probably should've finished .

The main dynamic was the 4 guys in space together , the 3 v Rimmer and I think when then ran out of ideas they started to draft in guest stars . I think the problem started when they tried to be mainstream rather than cult.

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (1/1/2006 4:09:28 PM)

I believe there is another thread about this show somewhere, but nevermind.

It's a great show, the first few seasons were obviously the best, when the show was just based on Red Dwarf, however even once things started changing it was still a great show, with the only poor season being season 7 which was quite poor when compared to the standards of the 6 seasons before it, however even season 7 had it's moments.

Mr E -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (1/1/2006 4:21:38 PM)

I thought it took a while to get going with the first couple of seasons IMO, but series 3,4,5 and 6 are masterpieces with all four main characters fully established. The last two series weren't as good although still enjoyable. Can't really pick a favourite character they're all great.

TobiasFunke -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (1/1/2006 7:36:03 PM)

I'm a big fan of the show but not of the first two series, I know a lot of fans love those because of the dynamic between Lister and Rimmer, but I find them a bit slow-paced and prefer the more action-oriented stories of series 3-6. Ditching the ship in series 6 and stranding them on Starbug was a great idea because it enhanced the claustrophobia of their situation. Contrary to most fans, I really enjoyed series 7. It was more like a comedy drama than a sitcom but I think it was a brave and necessary revamp. It highlighted how far Kryten had broken his programming, how lonely Lister really was and because the show wasn't Rimmer centric any more, it gave the other characters a chance to breathe. As for series 8, it was still funny but I think bringing the whole crew back was a big mistake. The whole point of the series is that Lister is the last human being alive; bringing back the crew just took him back to square one, the least important man on the ship! Anyway its a fantastic show and I hope we get another series (rather than a movie) asap!

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (2/1/2006 2:50:16 PM)

But we already knew he wasn't the last human being alive, we'd encountered many of them throughout the shows run, so it didn't really matter. Season 8 was a vast improvement on the dire Season 7, and Season 7 wasn't a brave revamp, it was just poor writing because the creators had fallen out and one left.

Mikey C -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (2/1/2006 2:52:26 PM)

Red Dwarf's not half as funny as I remember it. Now I'm old enough to get the rude jokes, I've come to realise how lame they are for the most part. Having said that, I still enjoy the sci-fi storylines and character interaction - and it still raises a chuckle. So it's still fun. Except Series' VII and VIII which didn't have any jokes in.

TobiasFunke -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (2/1/2006 3:09:59 PM)

quote:

But we already knew he wasn't the last human being alive, we'd encountered many of them throughout the shows run, so it didn't really matter

I can't think of one episode until series 8 that invalidated lister being the last human being alive. They met dopplegangers, waxworks, holograms, reanimated corpses, simulants, parallel versions and past/future versions of themselves...but no human beings. Time travel doesnt count. That was probably the shows biggest rule, lister being the last human, apart from the 'no aliens' rule. Also, I stand by 7 being better than 8. 7 had so much character development and interesting storylines (the epideme virus, krytens origin, listers' parenthood, the kennedy assassination, the truth behind red dwarfs theft etc etc). 8 had long, drawn out story arcs (3 episodes to get them back on the ship), the terrible 2-parter with the dinosaur and the humour became crass, even  infantile.

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (6/1/2006 8:32:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr E

I thought it took a while to get going with the first couple of seasons IMO, but series 3,4,5 and 6 are masterpieces with all four main characters fully established. The last two series weren't as good although still enjoyable. Can't really pick a favourite character they're all great.

Mine's Rimmer

[image]http://www.reddwarf.nildram.co.uk/rdpic/flib.jpg[/image]

Loxley -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (6/1/2006 9:41:12 PM)

'His name was Arnold Arnold Arnold Rimmer, without him life would be much dimmer....'

I used to love watching this, and for some reason this song sticks in my head.  Can't remember the specifics of the episode, but he died or something.  There was a theme ride thing build for him which Lister Kryton and the Cat go on.  Something like little Rimmer robots dancing singing that song.

Or so I remember.....feel free to correct me. 

It's strange the things that stick.  [8|]

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (6/1/2006 9:57:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Loxley

'His name was Arnold Arnold Arnold Rimmer, without him life would be much dimmer....'

I used to love watching this, and for some reason this song sticks in my head.  Can't remember the specifics of the episode, but he died or something.  There was a theme ride thing build for him which Lister Kryton and the Cat go on.  Something like little Rimmer robots dancing singing that song.

Or so I remember.....feel free to correct me. 

It's strange the things that stick.  [8|]

Yeh I always found that bit hilarious. Rimmer had to go off and pretend to be Ace Rimmer I think, and Lister started to miss him, so Kryten created this simulator ride thingie which made Lister hate Rimmer again! And it had the funny line of little Rimmers dancing and  singing that stupid song! That was one of the better episodes of the not so good-as-the-other-series series 7 I think.

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (6/1/2006 11:50:36 PM)

I was never a big fan of Red Dwarf, although I thought the odd episode was quite funny and some of the writing was very clever and witty. There were two episodes that I remember being especially funny though, one was where Lister was trying to get Kryton to override his programming and call Rimmer a smeg head and the other was the one with the brilliant light bulb line....

Rimmer: Step up to red alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (7/1/2006 11:47:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mumblin sumpthin

I was never a big fan of Red Dwarf, although I thought the odd episode was quite funny and some of the writing was very clever and witty. There were two episodes that I remember being especially funny though, one was where Lister was trying to get Kryton to override his programming and call Rimmer a smeg head and the other was the one with the brilliant light bulb line....

Rimmer: Step up to red alert!
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.

Kryten: SMEEEEEEEE-HEEEEEEEEEEEE!

TobiasFunke -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (7/1/2006 4:14:31 PM)

My favourite line is from 'Holoship', when Rimmer disappears after touching a weird ball of light:

Kryten: They've taken Mr. Rimmer, sirs!
Cat: Quick! Let's get out of here before they bring him back! [:D]

Sexual Harassment Panda -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (7/1/2006 6:06:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TobiasFunke

quote:

But we already knew he wasn't the last human being alive, we'd encountered many of them throughout the shows run, so it didn't really matter

I can't think of one episode until series 8 that invalidated lister being the last human being alive. They met dopplegangers, waxworks, holograms, reanimated corpses, simulants, parallel versions and past/future versions of themselves...but no human beings. Time travel doesnt count. That was probably the shows biggest rule, lister being the last human, apart from the 'no aliens' rule. Also, I stand by 7 being better than 8. 7 had so much character development and interesting storylines (the epideme virus, krytens origin, listers' parenthood, the kennedy assassination, the truth behind red dwarfs theft etc etc). 8 had long, drawn out story arcs (3 episodes to get them back on the ship), the terrible 2-parter with the dinosaur and the humour became crass, even  infantile.

What about the people from Nodnol? They were human, they just did everything backwards.

Mikey C -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (7/1/2006 6:09:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: TobiasFunke

quote:

What about the people from Nodnol? They were human, they just did everything backwards.

Time Travel. Doesn't count.

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (7/1/2006 6:23:32 PM)

There was also an episode where Kryten was made human, and Rimmer was as well in another, so Lister wasn't the only human then either.

servedchilled -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (8/1/2006 1:25:54 PM)

Use to watch it every evening on BBC2 after I came home from Cubs!!! It was on a Tuesday at about 9pm if I remember rightly. Watch it whenever I can now on UKGold and just absolute cracking stuff.

Best Episode: The Arnold Rimmer Song on the ride that everyone was talking bout is fantastic comedy, downloaded it the other day!!!

Best Character: Kryten by far, a multi-dimensional head doesnt fail to add to the comic wit and timing

Note to self.....Must buy DVDs.....[;)]

ted theodore logan -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (9/1/2006 9:21:47 AM)

i LOVE red dwarf - top show...

well at least series 1 to 6 are amazing - 7 wasn't so good and in all honesty i gave up on series 8 part way thru..!!

got the first 6 series on dvd tho - awesome...

best episode in my opinion would hav to be back to reality... 'dwayne dibbley??'

[:D]

TobiasFunke -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (9/1/2006 11:10:56 AM)

quote:

There was also an episode where Kryten was made human, and Rimmer was as well in another, so Lister wasn't the only human then either
quote:

Rimmer was made human because of mixing around with time travel, and was blown to bits seconds later, and Kryten was made human by a DNA altering device and changed back in the same episode. So technically Lister IS the last human being alive, as the others briefly became human through tampering with time and machinery, just as the crew in series 8 were duplicates created by the nanos.

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (9/1/2006 5:18:40 PM)

Yes but I thought I'd point those two things out in true geek debate fashion.[:D]

Skiba -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 11:32:53 AM)

One of my favourite shows of all time!  Series 1-2 are very far removed from the rest of the series as you don;t know the characters at all but from 3-6 is where it really becomes the comedy gold it is

Series 7 was necessary to clear a few things up and re-introduce Kochanski and seires 8 still had it's moments despite the majority of it not being great...The Krytie TV episode in particular was genius!

Mozza -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 3:26:02 PM)

Have you heard the news about Ms. Kochanski and her ex-boyfriend Tim?

The best improvised scene in British comedy history.

Sleazy -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 3:34:58 PM)

been watching them on the way to work on my PSP.

If you're in trouble, he will save the day
He's brave and he's fearless, come what may
Without him, the mission would go astray
He's Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
Without him, life would be much grimmer
He's handsome, trim, and no one's slimmer
He will never need a Zimmer
More reliable than a garden Strimmer
He's never been mistaken for Yul Brynner
He's not bald and his head doesn't glimmer
Master of the wit and the repartee
His command of space directives is uncanny
How come he's such a genius? Don't ask me
Ask Arnold, Arnold, Arnold Rimmer
He's also a fantastic swimmer
And if you play your cards right, then he just might come round for dinner
No rhymes left now apart from quimmer
He'd better fade us out before we get to schlimmer
Fade out you stupid plimmer

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 6:51:41 PM)

Ah so those are the lyrics! [sm=happy07.gif]

The Mighty Quinn -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 7:39:06 PM)

SeriesI-VI are just pure comedy gold. Series VII didn't work as well without Rimmer and Series VIII was a real low. The concept didn't work and they forgot to put any jokes in.
Favourite Character? Rimmer without a doubt. "Mr Flibble is very cross..." [:D]
Favourite Episode? I've always liked Marooned in Series III. Mainly, Rimmer and Lister stuck in Starbug together. A very talky episode compared to the more action orientated ones which come later, with one of the best scripts of any episode.

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 9:33:42 PM)

Its way too hard to pick a fave episode. There are so many funny ones. Oh yeah and  I hope that 'Hyperdrive' programme is rubbish - nothing can beat Red Dwarf!

Seductress of Bums -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (10/1/2006 11:15:22 PM)

I saw BBC2's special preview thing for Hyperdrive the other day and I didn't laugh at any of the so-called jokes. The sets and cgi look better than Red Dwarf, but that's only to be expected, Red Dwarf would look much better if it was being made now.

i007_Bond_007i -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (11/1/2006 7:56:10 AM)

Best comedy ever. Can't wait until series 8 comes out on DVD [:D] (which is soon I believe)! Half-way through series 7 at the mo, although I watched them all when I was younger.

*Jack of all Trades* -> RE: Red Dwarf appreciation thread (11/1/2006 4:51:53 PM)

I'm wondering whether to get series 7 - it's not as good as the others but I think its the best out of the remaining ones left I could get - 1, 2, 7 or 8. I'm so addicted to Red Dwarf now! I'll probably get it tomorrow what the hell[:D].

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI