Exclusive: McKellen IS Gandalf (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Exclusive: McKellen IS Gandalf (22/7/2008 10:47:22 AM)

Post your comments on this article

nclowe -> Yippee! (22/7/2008 10:47:22 AM)

Was there ever any doubt? :D

take1 -> Great News (22/7/2008 10:51:59 AM)

This is good to know, even though we all knew it before it happened, this will be the next big thing after the Dark Knight, Transformers 2 will have to step up in story line to get the credit it deserves and i have all faith that it will, roll on 2010 and those little guys.

Woolly_Cully -> No-brainer (22/7/2008 10:52:29 AM)

Good news. Now all we need is Ian Holm as a slightly younger Bilbo. I don't see why John Rhys Davies can't play Gloin too.

Mock Tudor -> Too old (22/7/2008 10:56:25 AM)

I can understand why they did this, but he's too old to play a younger version of the character he introduced ten years ago.

genlock -> Too old? (22/7/2008 11:04:40 AM)

Gandalf was already extremely old by the time of the Hobbit. He'll be playing a Gandalf who's only several years younger than the Gandlaf of LotR, which is neglectable considering Gandalf is supposed to be several hundred years old. He'll do a magnificent job, I have no doubt about it!

beancounter -> Happy Day... (22/7/2008 11:12:01 AM)

...and all is right with the world.

Hughezy -> (22/7/2008 11:44:54 AM)

what's the Lord Of The Rings? bah, even i don't find myself funny.

britesparc -> He's not too old... (22/7/2008 11:46:09 AM)

But I am worried about Christopher Lee. Saruman potentially could have a more central, and more energetic role, if they beef up the whole "wizards go off to fight the Necromancer" plotline, and if they then spend the second film talking about S's fall from grace. I can't imagine anyone other than Lee in the role, but he's getting on a bit - I REALLY hope he can do it, because he's utterly terrific.

wooz -> (22/7/2008 12:24:36 PM)

Ugh, it all just feels like a pale school reunion.

davereed89 -> Bilbo Casting (22/7/2008 12:38:13 PM)

I would just like to say that i will bet absolutely anything on the fact that James Mcavoy will be Bilbo, especially after what Del Toro said about them all coming up with the same guy - he practically auditioned for it in The Lion the witch and the wardrobe

IstariAllStar08 -> Whoop Whoop Best news of the day!! (22/7/2008 12:40:49 PM)

This film will be epic! Second film will be awesome as long as it deals with the expulsion of the Necromancer whilst not protraiting Gandalf in a weak light (I mean he was owned against the nazgul lord even thou he wasnt a Maiar (demi god) AND the in the ROTK book its clearly a stand off arrrrhh!!) Ok Rant over. I'd really like to see a movie verison of Turin Turambar in the future, clearly the darkest and most tragic tale of Tolkien's legacy.

Noelg25 -> Too old? I dont think so... (22/7/2008 12:50:03 PM)

Sir Ian McKellen is not too old to play Gandalf. Like genlock says, the character will be a few years younger than in LOTR (give or take a decade or two). But on screen you probably wont even notice this. Look at Hugo Weaving's character in LOTR. He was 3000 years old yet in the flashbacks could you tell how old he was then? Yet he barely looked a day older. So yes, it is a damn good thing that Sir Ian will be reprising his role as Gandalf. He is Gandalf. I cant see anyone else playing the wizard.

Mock Tudor -> RE: Too old? (22/7/2008 12:51:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: genlock

Gandalf was already extremely old by the time of the Hobbit. He'll be playing a Gandalf who's only several years younger than the Gandlaf of LotR, which is neglectable considering Gandalf is supposed to be several hundred years old
At the time of The Hobbit Gandalf would be 60 years younger than he was at the start of LotR. Granted, the wizards do age extremely slowly so the difference wouldn't have been that great although in the book Frodo does note that he looks somewhat worse for wear when he shows up for the "Shadow of the Past" chapter.

Out here in the real world, however, McKellen has aged ten years. So he looks ten years older than he did - and not a few years younger as he should.

Of course it can be argued that any other actor they might choose would look even less like a slightly younger McKellen.
But if the made The Hobbit as something which could stand alone on its own terms that wouldn't matter. They probably won't, though.

Kazuya -> RE: Exclusive: McKellen IS Gandalf (22/7/2008 1:16:32 PM)

Good news. Not exactly surprising, but very pleasing nonetheless.

Jessica_ca_ca_ca -> RE: Exclusive: McKellen IS Gandalf (22/7/2008 2:28:01 PM)

I can't imagine the Hobbit ever going ahead without McKellen 'returning' as Gandalf. They'd lose a lot of kudos if they used someone else when he practically owns that role.

clarkkent -> (22/7/2008 3:05:30 PM)

he;s too old? Anyone see the opening of X men 3?

kinge247 -> RE: (22/7/2008 7:18:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarkkent

he;s too old? Anyone see the opening of X men 3?

Exactly, make up and CGI people, this is Hollywood were talking about after all.

danbo1138 -> COOL (22/7/2008 10:32:05 PM)

SEXYTIME.

vivlitherland -> (23/7/2008 1:45:43 PM)

mckellen is awesome and seriously can you see anyone else that could play gandalf with such awesomness?! i think not

joey77 -> (26/7/2008 10:25:47 AM)

Great news! Can't imagine anyone else in the role.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI