RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

problematique -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (8/3/2009 9:17:41 PM)

As Death Note is a Manga Novel surely L should have made an appearence?

What a cleverly written character.

theplothole -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (23/3/2009 4:43:57 AM)

I'm a Marvel guy through and through. Even with that I get that Superman and Batman are above Spider-Man. But Constantine???? Even Wolverine, great as he is and as influential, if there's no Spider-Man, there's no Wolverine. I mean, the guy's been around for almost fifty years! There are precious few people in the world who don't know Spider-Man but Constantine and Wolverine are above him?? The more I think about it the more ridiculous it becomes. Fix it.

jaymefrommichigan -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (26/3/2009 7:50:40 AM)

The list was good, in my opinion. I'm sure on a global scale, it's pretty accurate. However, I'm disappointed with the fact that Rorschach's biography says he is a member of the Minutemen. This is inaccurate - he came on the scene after the Minutemen had dispersed and reluctantly became a part of the Crimebusters, the second generation of costumed crusaders.

If I had to pick a WATCHMEN character to be in that spot, I would be deadlocked between Rorschach, the Comedian, and Dr. Manhattan. They are all so deep and have so much background. Absolutely fascinating. I guess Ozymandias could be considered too. Perhaps the whole novel should be at #16.

(:

spiderman500 -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (6/4/2009 10:47:58 PM)

despite my username i beleive that any self respecting fan of dc comics would admit that the green lantern is the best. he's practically the center of the universe at this point(both literally and figuratively.). also just so you know i'm talking about hal jordan specifically.

paulie walnuts -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (7/6/2009 4:32:35 PM)

Remy LeBeau/Gambit & Harvey Dent/Two-Face are the greatest comic book characters ever, it's a shame that their not on it also Wade Wilson/Deadpool should be higher

Bulletinyourhead -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (8/6/2009 10:10:20 AM)

supermna is the gayest superhero lolx

packervid4 -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (17/6/2009 3:16:42 PM)

This list cannot be further from a comic book fan's appreciation for characters. How can Spider-Man be #5? And Superman #1? This is a glaring omission that any comic fan should take offense to. Superman is certainly an iconic character, but in stories is boring and predictable. Spider-Man and Batman are easily the most popular and best-selling characters, with great stories, challenges, and should definitely be 1 and 2. Also, the Flash and Thor not on the list? Captain America at 20? Hulk at 15? Green Lantern in the 40's? Those are all way too low. There is no excuse for this list. It is misinformed and probably led by personal biases for Superman and Constantine, who have no business being that high (right Keanu?)

notreally -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (8/7/2009 2:09:36 AM)

Man where is Archie? Is there anything he can't do? No one better. Except possibly Jughead.

veers -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (12/8/2009 10:41:39 PM)

I somehow missed this list in 2008, but luckily it was in the Features archive. Having gone through all the comments, I don't understand why people din't take note of bobthegrinch's spot-on early (page 1 or 2, I think) comment about Superman. The arguing should have stopped there. Many people have pointed out glaring omissions, but a few have been forgotten. Google "tv tropes magnificent bastard" and look at the sections "Anime and Manga" and "Comic Books" (which should include manga, but hey, I did not design that page) for some prime examples. There are also great arguments on behalf of eg. Namor and Thanos. 

CoxintheBox -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (5/9/2009 12:25:39 AM)

Actually mate,Superman was first designed with him being a villain in mind...the character is bollocks to be honest,ridiculously over powered for a start,and a bad indictment of the superhero arch-type,and damaging to every other DC character for so long,by way of him having to be better at everything,he had Super-ventriloquism for fucks sake.In a British orientated vote,not surprised with the two DC big-boys coming in 1-2,they are the best known after all,of the 2 Bats should be a nailed on 1 in my opinion,Spider-man despite the bollocks going on with current disastrous story-lines should be 2,best selling comic character for so long,the creator of witty banter and slick one-liners,the sunny side of super-heroism,for him to be ousted by Constantine is nothing short of a disgrace,and shows the blindness and base stupidity of those who put this list together.
Marshall Law would have been a good put in,great comic.

Superman is not even a superhero,to be a hero,you have to put yourself on the line,face actual damage and death yourself,you have to be vulnerable,Superman's vulnerability is randomly occurring,variously coloured rocks from space,and for a time his main problem was protecting the people he cared about from danger,he himself was rarely in trouble,how is that heroic?Superman is more damaging to the superhero ethos than anything else,his use as THE arch-type superhero has ruined movie's such as Hancock,and that Uma Thurman movie who's name escapes me right now,every other nomination is flawed,has character,strengths counteracted by weaknesses and is infinitely more interesting than this joker....

Civil War was a joke and Captain America is just as gay as superman.

khaur -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (8/9/2009 3:57:50 AM)

You put in Emma Frost and left out the Phoenix? People, come on.
Hellboy, Captain America and Iron Man really should have been higher up.
And I have no idea where Thor and the Silver Surfer went.

sinbad70 -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (12/9/2009 2:15:00 AM)

[;)]Overall not a bad list , found some of the characters a bit esoteric . There is one glaring omission ( even though i do understand the reason , he started in books not comics ) but come on where is CONAN !!! After nearly 40 odd years of comics ....

paulie walnuts -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (16/9/2009 4:50:40 PM)

1. Gambit
2. Two-Face
3. Deadpool
4. Rorschach
5. Venom
6. Batman
7. The Joker
8. Wolverine
9. Marv
10. Rogue
11. Cable
12. The Comedian
13. Iron Man
14. Green Goblin
15. Harley Quinn
16. Punisher
17. Jean Grey (The Phoenix)
18. Magneto
19. Dr. Manhattan
20. Hulk
21. Spiderman
22. Emma Frost
23. Black Mask
24. Nick Fury
25. Sabretooth
26. Omega Red
27. Ra's Al Ghul
28. Doctor Octopus
29. Apocalypse
30. Daredevil
31. Dr. Doom
32. Blade
33. Scarecrow
34. Professor Charles Xavier
35. Mister Sinister
36. Colossus
37. Thor
38. Iron Monger
39. Abomination
40. Poison Ivy
41. Catwoman
42. Mystique
43. Shadowcat
44. Bishop
45. The Riddler
46. John Hartigan
47. Nightcrawler
48. Beast
49. Superman
50. Pyro

scary_ice -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (16/9/2009 11:09:59 PM)

Sorry to be a bastard Paulie but you got Black Mask twice man.[:)]

Deadp00l -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (17/9/2009 5:44:52 PM)

For me it has to be Batman. Here is a guy who was not born great (like Superman) and didn't have greatness thrust upon him (like Spider-man). This guy chose to be great and spent his entire life achieving his goal.

He's a character that has so much to offer, storywise. He's a guy dressed as a bat in a world of flying aliens and amazon clay-women, he is fighting a losing battle without stepping out of line and he has the most interesting collection of insane villians who are, arguably, only as crazy as he is.

Bottom line, he's a legend. Hopefully we'll see him alive and kicking butts again anyday now.

PS: 1.9-Joker 2-Hulk 3-Rorschach 4-Green Goblin 5-Lex Luthor

simpwalker -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (20/11/2009 11:48:42 PM)

Where is Eric Draven?

starwarsfan -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (5/1/2010 9:54:01 PM)

An okay list. I mean a lot of these characters I've never even heard of. But I'm happy that characters like Spider-Man and Batman got the list. But Empire has left out some of the best comic villains! Like Doc Ock, The Riddler, Green Goblin, General Ross and Two-Face!

Hydrola -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (27/2/2010 9:21:41 AM)

Where is Blade? A charecter with such a dark background teamed with a self fight for insanity should be admired, the same way it is for Batman. Besides that why is superman number 1? Do he is a good ground for heroes to be set upon the better heros are those who are weak and do not stand a chance while superman has strength and speed to turn back time. You never truely belive that he is doing anything that he wont wake up healed from the next morning.

relativelyrelative -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (27/2/2010 10:13:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: problematique

As Death Note is a Manga Novel surely L should have made an appearence?

What a cleverly written character.

No, because deathnote is almost as bad as noir. and read or die. or even chobits. Yes, I think it's that bad.

Good work on putting superman in his rightful place though.

Hydrola -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (24/10/2010 12:11:05 AM)

I would have to say that as an all then they did get most of the best characters. But I was annoyed by the lack of blade in the top 50. Blade if anything should be in the top 20 because do he is not the best character the film series practically restarted the whole superhero movie franchise with big hits like Spider man, X men and the Batman franchises making films in its wake. Also do Superman is one of the main symbols of superheroes and was arguably the first and original hero, it does not necessarily make him the best superhero. In my own opinion then due to its great impact on cinema in recent years, years of the dark comic book persona and the ability to survive through the horror of Batman and Robbin should make Batman the top character. If not him the the lunacy of the Joker has always become better with each passing form whether it be Heath Ledgers Psychotic and thrilling performance of him, Mark Hamils insane voice acting in Arkham Asylum and many of the animated series (Also robot chicken) to the very old lunatic we familiarise with the early comics the Joker has kept coming across stronger with every art form making him one of the, if not the best characters in comics.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (7/12/2010 2:12:03 PM)

Just like to know how The Thing ranked so high & also NO FLASH![sm=augen14.gif][sm=893Grumpy-thumb.gif][sm=mad45.gif]

Setup -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (23/1/2011 4:46:33 AM)

YORICK BROWN !!!

edjones95 -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (15/6/2011 3:27:37 PM)

How about Kick Ass or Hit Girl? they were fun

Hashiba Isen -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (4/7/2011 10:25:26 AM)

I see that people there dont like Spidey.Jerusalem, of course. =)
I think that journalist deserves better.He's only one who telling truth,he is awesome... What else do you need?
Oh yes: Dadpool forever.

cerebusboy -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (4/7/2011 11:33:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deadp00l

For me it has to be Batman. Here is a guy who was not born great (like Superman) and didn't have greatness thrust upon him (like Spider-man). This guy chose to be great and spent his entire life achieving his goal.

He's a character that has so much to offer, storywise. He's a guy dressed as a bat in a world of flying aliens and amazon clay-women, he is fighting a losing battle without stepping out of line and he has the most interesting collection of insane villians who are, arguably, only as crazy as he is.

Bottom line, he's a legend. Hopefully we'll see him alive and kicking butts again anyday now.

PS: 1.9-Joker 2-Hulk 3-Rorschach 4-Green Goblin 5-Lex Luthor

I love Batman as much as anyone, but he does have genius-level IQ and a photographic memory (according to The Essential Batman Encyclopedia ). Those are things that you're born with. As well as the great tragedy, Bruce Wayne was given great resources, and part of Batman's heroism is using them to fight crime instead of just pissing his life away on the playboy lifestyle.

Evil_Bob -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (17/10/2011 2:41:09 PM)

Jesus GerbaGerr. A but unecessarily harsh there.

I do agree that great characters were voted down simply because people didn't know who they were which is a bit of a poor excuse really but where the hell is Cassidy who's a far better Preacher character than Jesse Custer.

Discodez -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (17/10/2011 3:06:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Evil_Bob

Jesus GerbaGerr. A but unecessarily harsh there.

I do agree that great characters were voted down simply because people didn't know who they were which is a bit of a poor excuse really but where the hell is Cassidy who's a far better Preacher character than Jesse Custer.

I actually found his diatribe quite amusing. He found a 2 year old article and almost gives himself an anuerysm with his pathetic fan boy rage at the world, the boy needs to lose his virginity before his head explodes.

JIm R -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (17/10/2011 3:16:27 PM)

I spy with my little eye something beginning with WARNING [:D]

xgirl501 -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (2/12/2011 1:16:02 AM)

Where's Cyclops AKA Scott Summers? [:(]He doesn't have much fans based on his occasionally tortured and humorless personality, but he has done greater things than others like J. Jonah Jameson or Scott pilgrim. He was the first X-men to begin with, and has led the X-Men for the longest time, even when all the other X-men including Jean Grey, Beast, Storm, etc. left. He has made choices that beat Magneto and other villians, and I believe he deserves to be in the top 50, maybe even higher. Besides, he ranked #39 in the top 100 official comic heroes of all time. At least get him in the top 50 for Empire!
-An comic fan

xgirl501 -> RE: The 50 Greatest Comic Book Characters (2/12/2011 1:16:42 AM)

i support gambit! lol

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI