The Mist (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Mist (30/6/2008 9:43:03 AM)

Post your comments on this article

johnpaul_fitch -> I saw this a few months ago in australia (30/6/2008 9:43:03 AM)

I saw "The Mist" a few months ago, coz I live in Australia (where it went STRAIGHT TO DVD!!!WTF???) I absolutely loved it, great ending, significantly different from the Stephen King ending. Great tension through-out, well thought out set pieces. One of the best horror films I've ever seen. Thomas Jane does sterling work (Again), Darabont is...well...Darabont. Gay-Harden is terrifying. brilliant horror film. GO SEE IT!

Karl Crutchley -> Why.... (30/6/2008 9:45:21 AM)

Has it taken so long for this film to come out over here? Its been out on DVD in the States for ages. The trailer I saw before The Happening looked really good, better than that film turned out to be anyway. Count me in!

kumar -> RE: The Mist (30/6/2008 10:07:45 AM)

Glad empire liked the film, though can i suggest moving the comments about the pharmacy out of the review? its fucking incredible if you dont know whats coming when you see it.

the mist is brilliant, i shall be seeing it again in the cinema!

Felix -> RE: The Mist (30/6/2008 10:15:30 AM)

Fucking awesome film.

The ending is just stunning.

hypnotoad -> About time!!!!!!! (30/6/2008 10:23:37 AM)

I was stunned when i saw the advert for this on the telly the other day. i got this on R1 DVD a couple of months ago and even though it is low budget, it holds up against any film in sheer spectacle, the last beastie you see is a real jaw dropper!!!
It is weird that it didnt come out here sooner with the non hollywood ending. i would have thought that this film would have been better suited to a british cinema audience seeing that Neil Marshall gave us the Descent with that uber bleak ending and then the "happy happy" yanks getting a happy (ish) ending. Weird.

Uriel Ventris -> (30/6/2008 10:26:21 AM)

This film is fantastic!!!

Wilbert -> RE: About time!!!!!!! (30/6/2008 10:31:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: hypnotoad

I was stunned when i saw the advert for this on the telly the other day. i got this on R1 DVD a couple of months ago and even though it is low budget, it holds up against any film in sheer spectacle, the last beastie you see is a real jaw dropper!!!
It is weird that it didnt come out here sooner with the non hollywood ending. i would have thought that this film would have been better suited to a british cinema audience seeing that Neil Marshall gave us the Descent with that uber bleak ending and then the "happy happy" yanks getting a happy (ish) ending. Weird.

because British audiences are so much more sophisticated than American ones? That's such a stereotypical and boring view. American audiences are just as smart as UK ones.

Kazuya!!!! Get in here!!! This newbie is slagging off your countrymen!!!

rusty31 -> FANTASTIC (30/6/2008 10:32:08 AM)

I just saw this on DVD in Australia as well and I have to say , Not only is it one of the best King adaptations but ONE OF THE BEST HORROR MOVIES EVER MADE!!! The ending will leave you speechless. Terrifc acting, especially from Gay Haden and Church, this movie is fantastic. I can't recommend it highly enough.

rusty31 -> FANTASTIC (30/6/2008 10:33:59 AM)

I just saw this on DVD in Australia as well and I have to say , not only is it one of the best King adaptations but ONE OF THE BEST HORROR MOVIES EVER MADE!!! The ending will leave you speechless. Terrifc acting, especially from Gay Harden and Church, this movie is fantastic. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Felix -> RE: About time!!!!!!! (30/6/2008 10:34:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

because British audiences are so much more sophisticated than American ones? That's such a stereotypical and boring view. American audiences are just as smart as UK ones.

Get the fuck out. Now.

Hate that term.

Wilbert -> RE: About time!!!!!!! (30/6/2008 10:38:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

quote:

Get the fuck out. Now.

Hate that term.

You'll get over it one day.

Janath -> Utterly Brilliant....However... (30/6/2008 10:38:46 AM)

...your eviewer really should have mentioned Thomas Jane's woeful acting, especially in the last 5 minutes. I was astounded by the ending - simply because you can't expect it from a Hollywood flick - but Jane's acting took the shine off. I saw this 'going in clean' and it does make me think again that I would enjoy all of my movi experiences a lot more if I never knew anything about them beforehand.
Well done Darabont. You can make nothing but King adaptations for life as far as I'm concerned. I read he turned down a $30 million budget just so he could keep the ending. Maybe that's what turned Americans off it. After all, they're still being told all will end well in both Iraq and Afghanistan. See?

Janath -> Utterly Brilliant....However... (30/6/2008 10:38:48 AM)

...your eviewer really should have mentioned Thomas Jane's woeful acting, especially in the last 5 minutes. I was astounded by the ending - simply because you can't expect it from a Hollywood flick - but Jane's acting took the shine off. I saw this 'going in clean' and it does make me think again that I would enjoy all of my movi experiences a lot more if I never knew anything about them beforehand.
Well done Darabont. You can make nothing but King adaptations for life as far as I'm concerned. I read he turned down a $30 million budget just so he could keep the ending. Maybe that's what turned Americans off it. After all, they're still being told all will end well in both Iraq and Afghanistan. See?

punchdrunk -> The Feel bad movie of the year! (30/6/2008 11:06:28 AM)

...And that is a good thing btw, In the same way "the Faculty" used Sci-Fi to discuss the conformity of the High school, The Mist uses Sci-fi to explore the notion of fear in the current political climate...and Franks not too optimistic about the countries attitude. My problems come with the thinly sketched characters, maybe this comes to the fact they were from a novella and so there was room to delve benieth the surface of the characters but here they seem shallow and thinly sketched at times, Marcia Hardens character was one note throughout the film which was a shame as there was a chance to show some real character exploration as she slowly gained power we should have been exposed to her twisted old testament view of religion. The real standout for me was not the all American dad but the shop assistant turned hero Toby Jones, he kicks some serious ass, but makes the transition to it believable. Darabont's decision with the ending was right and brave but i think he delivered it in a way which didn't capture the desperation of the moment. Goes on the good pile of Stephen King adaptations far away from the painful memories of watching "Maximum overdrive" :p

Caster -> Brilliant (30/6/2008 12:11:51 PM)

I agree with all Empire said, it's a great horror film but why ruin the ending for people by hinting at it? Not cool.

Severen -> Brilliant (30/6/2008 12:34:28 PM)

One of the best horror films I've seen in years. Marcia Gay Harden was so good in this I wanted to jump into the tv and punch her bible-bashing lights out. And the ending..........F**k me

Severen -> Brilliant (30/6/2008 12:34:37 PM)

One of the best horror films I've seen in years. Marcia Gay Harden was so good in this I wanted to jump into the tv and punch her bible-bashing lights out. And the ending..........F**k me

My name is Legion -> RE: The Mist (30/6/2008 12:43:11 PM)

It's a good film, as long as you take it for what it is, a B Movie, like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone.  I wasn't expecting that from Frank Darabont, so initially it was little jarring, but I soon got into it.

I won't go into detail, but I will say that I had a big problem with one element of the ending, a huge flaw in my eyes.

DJ Trauma -> The Mist in Your Eyes (30/6/2008 1:01:51 PM)

Hello moviegoing public.

A bit of a warning first: do NOT go see this movie with your girlfriend/wife/soon to be either of them: this is not a good date movie.I'll get to that soon.

Darabont is very good at translating King to the screen and here he has done it again, only, he's gone and made the original story even more horrifying: where King was more ambigious about the end, Darabont just kicks you in the soft nether regions and leaves you whimpering in your cinema seat. Before he gets there, he's taking you on a psychological horror trip with very unsubtle political tones. The movie is actually a good horror movie but not exceptionally so in the beginning. The effects are hardly state of the art and more offensively, the characters are not believable at at all in their reactions on the proceedings. Especially the black judge is unrealistic in his unbelief. Marcia Gay Harden is great as this typical King character but hams it up a notch too much. Thomas Jane isn't strong enough to put the right emotional tone in his character but does the best he can. Jeffrey Demunn is great though; easily the best character in the movie.
But when things go really apocalyptic, this movie starts to grow and grow. I liked it a lot but my wife will hate me forever for taking her to see it. So be warned, either you'll talk for hours after the movie or you won't be talking at all. But miss this at your own peril: this is Horror with capital H.
DjT

DJ Trauma -> The Mist in Your Eyes (30/6/2008 1:02:00 PM)

Hello moviegoing public.

A bit of a warning first: do NOT go see this movie with your girlfriend/wife/soon to be either of them: this is not a good date movie.I'll get to that soon.

Darabont is very good at translating King to the screen and here he has done it again, only, he's gone and made the original story even more horrifying: where King was more ambigious about the end, Darabont just kicks you in the soft nether regions and leaves you whimpering in your cinema seat. Before he gets there, he's taking you on a psychological horror trip with very unsubtle political tones. The movie is actually a good horror movie but not exceptionally so in the beginning. The effects are hardly state of the art and more offensively, the characters are not believable at at all in their reactions on the proceedings. Especially the black judge is unrealistic in his unbelief. Marcia Gay Harden is great as this typical King character but hams it up a notch too much. Thomas Jane isn't strong enough to put the right emotional tone in his character but does the best he can. Jeffrey Demunn is great though; easily the best character in the movie.
But when things go really apocalyptic, this movie starts to grow and grow. I liked it a lot but my wife will hate me forever for taking her to see it. So be warned, either you'll talk for hours after the movie or you won't be talking at all. But miss this at your own peril: this is Horror with capital H.
DjT

DJ Trauma -> RE: The Mist in Your Eyes (30/6/2008 1:06:29 PM)

i meant to applaud Toby Jones' performance, not Jeffrey DeMunn...my bad

hypnotoad -> RE: About time!!!!!!! (30/6/2008 1:25:49 PM)

Easy tiger, don't jump off the handle too quickly. i was merely pointing out that for some strange reason, the marketing types seem to think that Americans can't deal with endings that do not tie up nicely, hence my confusion on why the distribution deal for the Mist was a bit weird and i am glad that it got released over there with that ending intact.
But the 25million doesn't reflect well on your argument.
Jeez, it's a bit clickey in here innit?

EVIL BSTD -> Great movie. (30/6/2008 1:29:37 PM)

What a surprise ,it bombed in America as if those morons would know a good movie if it bit them.And far more interesting than Cloverfield.

EVIL BSTD -> Great movie. (30/6/2008 1:29:37 PM)

What a surprise ,it bombed in America as if those morons would know a good movie if it bit them.And far more interesting than Cloverfield.

The Kevmiester -> Meh (30/6/2008 1:43:49 PM)

Pretty poorly overacted by all involved, especially marcia gay harden, pretty poor special effects, just not very scary or creepy, Dreadful, god awful dialague and an ending that feels forced and that you can see coming. Still not dreadful, and i did like the whole segment with the mad hatters taking over the store, but apart from that it just wasn't that good, am i honestly the only one to see that?

broonie -> RE: Great movie. (30/6/2008 1:45:13 PM)

This film was IMO far too intelligent for an audience who would rather spend their dollars on shite like Meet the Spartans and the Date/Epic,etc Movies, thats why it bombed in America.

This film is excellent, and as I said in another Mist post on another thread, forget Hulk, Indy and Hancock, this is the film to see this summer. Darabont gives a sense of forboding and fear right through the film, and it doesn't come just from whats in the mist, but from the monsters hiding in store,mainly in the form of Marcia Gay Hardens deeply religous nut Mrs Carmody. Everyone gives decent performances from Jeffery DeMunn, Francis Sternhagen and Thomas jane, despite what some say. A real standout IMO is Nathan Gamble as Janes son, (who nevers comes across as annoying), and makes you feel his fear and that is very impressive.

A must-see film that puts other films that cost 3-4 times as much to make to shame.

MonkeysDad -> Great Film (30/6/2008 1:53:03 PM)

The comparisons to The Thing and Night of the Living Dead are spot-on. Neither of those has upbeat endings either...

Cameron1975Williams -> "Best horror movie in years." (30/6/2008 2:35:25 PM)

Absoloutely Goddamned right!

Cameron1975Williams -> "Best horror movie in years." (30/6/2008 2:35:39 PM)

Absoloutely Goddamned right! It gets an extra star for the ballsy ending.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI