RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (12/5/2010 4:55:01 PM)

Blithe Spirit (1945) 8/10

xmagic_dustx -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (14/5/2010 2:58:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicola1001

Did you watch it on Film4 by any chance? [:)]

xmagic_dustx -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (14/5/2010 3:00:07 PM)

[image]http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1020/413541.1020.A.jpg[/image]

Great film noir - 4.5/5!

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (17/5/2010 7:31:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: xmagic_dustx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nicola1001

Did you watch it on Film4 by any chance? [:)]

Yes I did, even though i've got it on DVD [:D]

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (17/5/2010 7:32:02 PM)

The Great St. Trinian's Train Robbery (1966) 6/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (18/5/2010 9:35:04 PM)

Dangerous Crossing
A prime example of economic filming, Dangerous Crossing was made for only $500.000, shot over just 19 days and re-used sets (and in one case a dress) that were already used in other films.
The story of a woman on board of a ship who claims her husband to be missing while no-one else on the ship seems to have seen him isn`t new or original. But it does give you a interesting enough film for most of the running time. As the audience you keep wondering, together with the leading lady, what has happened to her husband. That makes the anti-climactic ending all the more a dissapointing. You are left behind with feeling "was this it?"
Too bad the makers didn`t do more with that...

6,7/10

Hab -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (23/5/2010 1:38:28 AM)

Had a bit of a Coburn day yesterday...

Our Man Flint (1966) 7/10
A Fistful of Dynamite (1971) 8/10
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid (1973) 8/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (26/5/2010 10:06:51 PM)

Rebecca
Hitchcock`s film after Daphne Du Maurier`s classic bestseller is one of his most exciting and intense films in wich he takes his leading lady Joan Fontaine and his audience on a two hour questionnaire trying to find out what on earth is happening. The tension is built up excellent and carefully, making the ending as surprising as it is sad.
A brilliant Hitchcock.

9,0/10

TheDudeAbides -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (1/6/2010 10:20:21 PM)

Watch on the Rhine (1943)

"What is your trade?"
"I? I fight against Fascism. That is my trade."

Has there ever been a more heroic exchange in the history of cinema?  My chest is swelling just typing it out. Anyway, Watch on the Rhine is best remembered these days a) for being written by Lilian Hellman and b) for denying Bogart the Best Actor Oscar that many felt was in the bag after the runaway success of Casablanca. However, it more than stands up on its own merits and in some respects outstrips that legendary blockbuster - in depth of psychological understanding and a much more realistic depiction of the heartbreaking decisions that face those who would stand against the Fascists.

The story follows a family arriving in America after years of fleeing around Europe. The wife, Sarah, (Bette Davis) is an American citizen who looks forward to returning to the luxury of her wealthy Washington family after the trials of Nazi-dodging. The husband, Kurt, (Paul Lukas) is a German engineer turned Resistance fighter who has finally consented to leave Europe and recover his strength after years of risking his life sabotaging the Fascists. With them are their three children, who speak in a curious, stiff English which I eventually realised was supposed to represent that it is their second language. They arrive at Sarah's mother's house, but they are not the only houseguests. Also staying are a family friend and her bullish Romanian husband, who is, to put it lightly, somewhat suspicious. And a massive Nazi. Spoiler.

Watching it for the second time, I realise that Watch on the Rhine is a really great movie, mature and deeply heartfelt. It might not have the immediate flash and sparkle of Casablanca, but its treatment of the painful effects of war on civilians is incredibly incisive and moving. The film does a really good job of communicating the hardship and suffering these people have suffered before we first meet them, a deep air of weariness and loss of innocence hangs from every scene. Much of the credit for this must go to Bette Davis and Paul Lukas as the central couple, who turn in masterfully underplayed performances which never ring less than intensely true. Even thinking about the scene where he sees her in her new dress puts a lump in my throat...

It is a fantastic pairing, and Lukas really excels as the increasingly torn family man who cannot forget his responsibilities, even if they put his life at risk. One of my personal favourite character actors, he has here a presence which oozes with repressed emotion and quiet melancholy. I was somewhat amused, though, to read that apparently the vocally left-wing Hellman despised the poor fellow for refusing to become involved in politics and take a stance as the war approached. She seemingly decided the overlook the fact that his role in this film and in an anti-Fascist propaganda short (deliciously titled Don't Be A Sucker!) made his beliefs fairly clear, and that he had spent the First World War mired in the horror of the collapsing Austo-Hungarian empire and was understandably reluctant to relive a similar experience.

The plot is standard Nazi scheming fare, but what makes it stand out is the seriousness with which it takes its subject. It never for one moment lets the film's tone approach a caper, but hammers home the psychological effects of killing, of separation and of prolonged danger on family life. An important war film and one that should be better known.

4/5

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (2/6/2010 5:15:29 PM)

Genevieve (1953) 7/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (4/6/2010 8:45:16 AM)

The Mole People
Uber campy `50s sci-fi. Pretty entertaining although the story derails a bit.

6,0/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (4/6/2010 11:49:34 PM)

Watched the blu-ray version of Stagecoach this morning:

Stagecoach
In many ways a really important film in the history of the medium film: not only was it John Wayne`s breakthrough role, it was his first collaboration with John ford and the film that made sure that the beautiful Monument Valley was brought to Hollywood and would be used as a western backdrop for many decades to come.
Stagecoach put the western genre on the map, it wasn`t longer looked upon as a B genre but as an adult genre.

We follow a group of people that are total strangers to each other but together go on a trip in a stagecoach.
Among them is an always drunk doctor, a reverend and the gangster Ringo Kid who escaped from jail (John Wayne). They can`t get along too well but they have to make sure that they get to their final destination in one piece and don`t get attacted along the way by a group of indians under the lead of Geronimo.
 A wonderful character study that shows at the same time what it can do with people if you need to get along with people you don`t know and/or like and how you can bring that to a good end.
The editing is tight, the photography from the stretched out Monument Valley is beautiful and contains many soon-to-be-Ford elements.
A really strong film, a monument in and for film history.
9,0/10

I found most of the transfer to have a wonderful picture quality, although at times it has some severe damage to show.
But hey, what can you expect from a 70 year old movie? Highly recommended, soon gonna dive into the 5 hours+ of supplements

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (6/6/2010 10:30:48 PM)

The Postman Always Rings Twice
What goes around comes around. That is again made pretty clear in this film noir.
John Garfield and Lana Turner think up a plan to murder her much older husband, a restaurant owner. The first attempt fails but they keep on trying anyway...
Turner is (literally) the shining middle of this, as often in a noir, in a flashback told story. But it does shy away on some points from the usual noir to not make it a chiché. Turner`s character Cora really cares about Frank Chambers (Garfield), something we don`t see that often in a noir.
The story goes on at a point where many noirs would stop: we see they trial and how far both of them are wiling to go to prove they`re right.
This combination make this into a strong film, even though you do have a feeling at some point that it drags on a bit too long. That`s why for me this isn`t (yet) a film noir classic or a masterpiece.
7,5/10

rich -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (7/6/2010 11:36:22 AM)

[image]http://i16.tinypic.com/6ow4o68.jpg[/image]

LB Jeffries -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (7/6/2010 2:38:17 PM)

Rear Window - 10/10
My favourite Hitchcock and the movie I like to watch more than any other on a rainy evening.

[image]http://miamiherald.typepad.com/reeling/images/2008/03/12/rear_window.jpg[/image]

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (10/6/2010 9:31:47 PM)

Billion Dollar Brain (1967) 6/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (21/6/2010 6:43:48 PM)

Vertigo (1958) 8/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (21/6/2010 8:51:43 PM)

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (1954) 10/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (21/6/2010 11:22:48 PM)

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Ed Wood`s most (in)famous film is known to be one of the worst films ever made. It`s not hard to see why: a ridiculous story, laughable sets and backgrounds so uber wrong dialogues. You`ll really need to try hard to find a film that has worse dialogues then Plan 9 from Outer Space.
But all that together of course does make it extra enjoyable. The film will score a lot points in the "so bad it`s good" list.

4,0/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (22/6/2010 6:11:13 PM)

Singin' In The Rain (1952) 8/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (25/6/2010 4:27:41 PM)

To Have And Have Not (1944) 10/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (26/6/2010 12:05:52 AM)

Vertigo
This second time I found it to be even better than after the first time, when I already made it out to be Hitchcock`s best.
He knows the tension and your attention up all the time, even though the film basically excists out of two stories (as we would later also see in Psycho and L`Avventura). Hitchcock was a revolutionary storyteller in that regard.
The first part is exciting and mysterious, the second part is (with its dreamy atmosphere) maybe even better. Hitch plays a lot with different colours wich give the film that dreamy feel to it. From a mystery it almost turned into a character study for James Stewart`s character. In the whole film he is, as ever, really strong with the beautiful Kim Novak (wonderfully brought to the screen by those different colours) giving a brilliant performance.
Finished up by the classic Bernard Hermann score, Vertigo is Hitchcock`s best work in that long, very long line of influential classics.

10/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (29/6/2010 10:43:51 PM)

The Bad And The Beautiful
Kirk Douglas` Oscar nominated performance of Hollywood producer Jonathan Shields in Vincente Minnelli`s look behind the Hollywood scenes is one of his best performances. He`s a man who`ll do anything to get what he wants. We get to know him through three long flashbacks. Three people who used to work with him (a director, an actrice and a screenplay writer) are asked to come to the office of Shields` production company for an important phone call. While we wait for the call to be set up, we get to know Shields via the flashbacks. We see how, even when he still was a small time producer, doesn`t shy away from anything to get higher up, not caring one bit about other people. We a extinsively shown why they hate him so much.

The rumors go around that Shields` character is based for a large part on the legendary Hollywood producer David O. Selznick. After everything I heard and read about him, this could very well be true.
The other characters as well are supposedly based on real people. It certainly adds another dimension to a film that shows us that everything isn`t well in Tinsletown.
A beautiful drama that with the beauty of Lana Turner still has something good to show its audience.
One of the best films about films.

8,5/10

Star Garden
I never saw this beautiful, intriguing 20 minute long film from Brakhage before so I don`t know what it looked like before. But on the Criterion blu-ray set it looks totally breathtaking. Beautiful warm colours with a nice grain. The blu-ray format looks like it could be invented just for this alone. Unbelievable. You`d almost say that this alone is worthy of buying the box set.

8,0/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (3/7/2010 10:32:17 PM)

The Ladykillers
Lovely comedy from the Ealing studios about a group gangsters headed by Alec Guiness who move into the house of an old lady who rents out one of her rooms. They pretend to be practicing with their music group but in the meanwhile they are planning their heist. Untill the old lady finds out the truth...
Excellent comedy with black humour and a cool cynic performance from Guiness. The story stays fun, thanks to Mrs. Wilberforce and the story not going quite the way you think that it would.
Way better than the recent Coen brothers remake with tom Hanks in the lead.

7,5/10

The blu-ray edition from the Studio Canal collection was quite the dissapointment on the visual department. The transfer is clean and free of damages but the colours look really worn out and faded. I highly doubt that is originally intended to look that way. Expected more from it.

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (6/7/2010 6:44:02 PM)

Bad Day At Black Rock (1955) 7/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (12/7/2010 9:29:47 PM)

Chain Lightning (1950) 7/10

Rain (1932) 4/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (13/7/2010 8:53:10 PM)

The Racketeer (1929) 5/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (14/7/2010 5:27:49 PM)

A Shriek In The Night (1933) 5/10

MrsG -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (16/7/2010 8:57:25 PM)

Went the Day Well? (1942)
Delightfully British propaganda film made by a Brazilian.
8/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Recent Classics and The Great Musical Debate spinoff (16/7/2010 11:55:26 PM)

The Phenix City Story
Based on true events, this half docu/half film is a merciless hard, right in your face film. A prosecutor wants, together with his son and a few brave others, to bring the deep rooted criminality in Phenix City, Alabama to a fall.

For that time (1955) the film was hard, with as high point the scene in wich a children`s body is thrown out of a driving car on to the lawn of the prosecutor`s house. After the 45 years that have past since the movie`s initial release, this scene still is shocking.
The fight- and shoot scenes are shown without hiding anything. Back than, the film got a lot of criticism for that, but looking back it only makes sure the film wins power.

Although not being a full blooded film noir, this is a strong beginning of the new Film Noir Classics collection! Good thing that his film finally got a good dvd release, although it`s too bad it`s running short on extra`s. This film would be perfect to have some more back ground info on and see documentaries about.

8,8/10

Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI