RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies

Porras -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (11/4/2012 8:50:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TolkenHobbitGuy

[Charade (1963) 7.5/10
Haunts me to know that there is a remake of the film,
from Jonathan Demme with Thandie Newton and Mark Wahlberg in the lead.

Stay away from it.It`s crap..as the most of the remakes are [;)]

Anyway my latest classic:

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H3Rn0hR0cLE/Tac8nhHXdRI/AAAAAAAAEg4/tvyACtgeLjk/s1600/Man+Hunt7.jpg[/image]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033873/

Enjoyable if not great.

TolkenHobbitGuy -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (12/4/2012 9:32:46 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TolkenHobbitGuy

[Charade (1963) 7.5/10
Haunts me to know that there is a remake of the film,
from Jonathan Demme with Thandie Newton and Mark Wahlberg in the lead.

Stay away from it.It`s crap..as the most of the remakes are

Yep, one look at the trailer and i was shuddering. Demme seems to have a knack for awful remakes,
The Manchurian Candidate was another one...

(Mukava nähdä muitakin suomalaisia Empiren lukijoita [:D])

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (15/4/2012 8:51:11 PM)

Le Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip To The Moon)
With the blu-ray release and watching this 110 year old film, this is the oldes film I`ve ever seen. It`s nothing short of a miracle that with the modern technologies we can still enjoy this only 15 minute long work from trailblazer Georges Méliès.
Surprisingly, the picture quality of this blu-ray exceeded my expectations. Sure, it has a lot of damage in it and you can never compare it to a present day film but paying attention to the fact that we almost couldn`t see this film at all and that it`s over a century old, the picture quality is great.
The film itself is not really exciting but it`s absolutely interesting to watch and to see what Méliès did with an art that was still in its infancy.
If it`s up to me, this Flicker Alley release belongs in everyone`s collection

8,0/10

The Birth Of A Nation
A while ago I wrote on another site that I currently own 2 different versions of D.W. Griffith`s controversial film (the UK dvd and the Kino blu-ray) but hadn`t yet seen either of them because you don`t just put on an over 3 hour long film, you have to make some time for that. Yesterday I had the time and so it was time for the blu-ray version.
The film is over 3 hours long but never was it dragging or boring. On the contrary: the film was pretty much over before I knew it.

The controversial status that the film has is correct. It is, especially in the second part, really hard and racist. Griffith almost says, through the title cards, that Afro-Americans talk some kind of unintelligible language. And the Ku Klux Klan is, apparently, the only one who can save the South of America (and therefor the whole country) from the domination of the "Blacks" and the people who wanted to end slavery are guilty to "the demise of America".
It really gives enough material to think about and discuss...

About Griffith`s qualities as a direction on the other can`t possibly be as much discussion. His trailblazing work on the front of telling stories and editing techniques are very clear and are, especially for that time, impressive.

Then the blu-ray itself. Of course here there are damages in the transfer. Therefor I`m really interested to see what the upcoming Masters Of Cinema will bring us and if they can top the image quality on that edition to this Kino release.

Nonetheless a film that we can say much about but one that you really need to give a chance, one that inspite of its reputation truly deserves its status as an important classic.

9,0/10

Design For Living
Very entertaining pre-code film by Ernst Lubitsch about a lady who can`t choose between two friends (one a playwright, the other a painter) who both are in love with her.
The usual ingredients for a pre-code Hollywood film are present here as well: witty dialogues that, especially for the female character, of course just go that little but further than in the Hays code period and have a lot of sexually themed jokes. Lubitsch very well knows how to make it into a quick and fun film.

7,8/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (16/4/2012 2:34:05 PM)

Cleopatra (1963) 8/10

A Night To Remember (1958) 7/10

The Thing From Another World (1951) 7/10

Saltire -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (16/4/2012 10:30:19 PM)

Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)

Soppy nonsense and a joy because of it and Donat's performance, lovely stuff.

8/10

siegfried -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (19/4/2012 1:12:27 AM)

And once again, infinitely better than the awful musical remake.

Saltire -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (20/4/2012 10:26:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

And once again, infinitely better than the awful musical remake.

Ha yeah I've seen that as well, I only watched it for the great Peter O'Toole and even he couldn't redeem it! [:D]

Saltire -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (22/4/2012 10:16:51 PM)

The Shop Around The Corner (1940)

Another Lubitsch delight

7/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (23/4/2012 10:15:40 PM)

Lifeboat
A 95 minute film that exclusively takes places in the titular Lifeboat. You need to be a mighty fine director if you want to turn that into a thrilling and good film. You can leave that to the Master of Suspense. Even though there really isn`t that much suspense at all but is more a character study than anything else, it is a movie that knows how to keep your attention.
Technically this is a very strong film, brought to blu-ray by Masters of Cinema in a superb quality.

8,0/10

And two French-language short films from Hitchcock that are extra`s on that same blu-ray:

Bon Voyage & Aventure Malgache
It`s special to see French films from Hitch. Both revolve around the French resistance in the WWII.
The first, the shortest, was clearly the better one. That was exciting and thrilling and had a good storyline. The second one was more of a drag and kinda dull, didn`t really do it for me.
It`s great to have seen these but both clearly don`t need to be considered as Hitch`s best work.

7,0/10
6,0/10

Saltire -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (26/4/2012 12:42:37 AM)

Heaven Can Wait (1943)

A sublime film from start to finish with terrific performances and a witty script, Lubitsch was a phenomenon.

9/10

efc91 -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (26/4/2012 8:00:26 PM)

Got Lifeboat waiting for me back home was a birthday present but I have had to wait a month for it, cant wait to watch it.

Nicola1001 -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (28/4/2012 6:33:28 PM)

Town On Trial (1957) 7/10

Gypsy (1962) 7/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (30/4/2012 9:10:59 PM)

Over the past 2 years our newspaper has done a countdown of a, according to their readers, list of the 100 best movies of all time. Every week they did a piece on that week`s film. Today the countdown ended with the number 1, and so there was a good reason to re-watch it again, this time on blu-ray:

C'era una volta il West (Once Upon A Time In The West)
Sergio Leone`s ultimate western is indeed one of the best movies ever. Big, epic and stunning. What else is there left to say about it? Not all that much. The images and music fit together perfectly. The latter is in fact a seperate character, as are the landscapes.
Claudia Cardinale looks even more beautiful in high definition than she already did, the picture quality of this blu-ray is worth the full 5 stars: eye-popping and tight but with respect and so we don`t suffer from too much DNR.
As obvious as it can be: the film as well as the blu-ray presentation:

10/10

sanchia -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (1/5/2012 7:40:01 PM)

[image]http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews51/charlie_chan_chantology/Charlie_Chan_in_the_Scarlet_Clue_R1_DVD_Title.jpg[/image] [image]http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/dvd_reviews51/charlie_chan_chantology/Charlie_Chan_in_the_Jade_Mask_R1_DVD_Title.jpg[/image]

1945 and 1944 both 6/10. They probably do not deserve it being far from the best of the series with Tolier being an inferior Chan to Warner Oland but still they bring up nostalgia of the days when this was standard BBC 2 fare during school holidays.

Saltire -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (2/5/2012 10:11:37 PM)

Arsenic And Old Lace (1944)

Probably the maddest screwball comedy of them all, absolutely wonderful stuff, hilarious from start to finish with Cary Grants deliberate overacting at times just adding to the lunacy of the plot. Capra's best? Dunno on that, but for me, it doesn't get any better than this - sheer genius!

10/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (12/5/2012 2:31:17 PM)

Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939) 7/10

efc91 -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (14/5/2012 4:27:15 PM)

A Place in the Sun (1951) - 9/10

efc91 -> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... (16/5/2012 5:39:27 PM)

Finally got around to watching this on blu-ray.

Lifeboat (1944) - 9/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... (21/5/2012 5:18:20 PM)

Carry On Teacher (1959) 6/10

One Million Years B.C. (1966) 4/10 for the film, 9/10 for Ray Harryhausen's dinosaurs

Nicola1001 -> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... (22/5/2012 3:39:05 PM)

Nurse Edith Cavell (1939) 6/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... (23/5/2012 2:37:08 PM)

Caesar And Cleopatra (1945) 5/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: The Last Classic I Watched... (1/6/2012 8:04:00 PM)

The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) 5/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (2/6/2012 11:26:25 PM)

Watched today:

La Grande Illusion
Jean Renoir`s masterpiece is one of the best anti-war films I`ve ever seen. Inside the P.O.W. camp everybody is accepted for who he is without looking at one`s background. There even grows somewhat of a friendship between the captured French officers and the German commander (an excellent role by Erich von Stroheim). What if they`d met under different circumstances?
A beautiful humanistic piece of work in wich the always excellent Jean Gabin steals the show.

The Criterion dvd is spine #1 and is from 1999, the starting era of dvd. And it shows. There are a great number of heavily damaged scenes in it, the image flickers a lot and is at times very dark. It is, especially for such an old dvd, absolutetly watchable but I truly hope that Criterion releases this again sometime on blu-ray....

9,0/10

On The Waterfront
Marlon Brando is brilliant in Elia Kazan`s raw depiction of corruption and crime within the New York harbour worker`s union. Brando`s character Terry Malloy gets deeper and deeper involved with unionleader/criminal Johnny Friendly. Slowly but surely he realises he low he has sunk and he tries to right his wrongs.
You really feel and taste the filth and poverty of the harbour area, wich benefits the atmosphere. As does the strong acting performances of the entire cast. And although the ending might not be quite a surprise it does keep your attention right up until the end.
An excellente film.
This`ll be a great watch when Criterion will release it on blu-ray, because a number of scenes on the region 1 dvd are very dark now...

8,8/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (3/6/2012 11:12:48 PM)

La Règle Du Jeu (The Rules Of The Game)
As a whole La Grande Illusion might be better but film technically speaking La Règle Du Jeu tops the bill. Renoir style, with a moving camera and long shots in wich everywhere in every shot something is going on (so in the background as well), comes to a climax here. In that area the whole film is a true joy. The story, a hard critique on the pre-war French upper class (that according to Renoir was "rotten to its core"), is good and contains wonderful dialogues.

The original version that Renoir released ran just over 90 minutes but after a financial and critical bad reception he re-edited it and it got reduced to 81 minutes. In 1959 it got re-edited, with Renoir`s approval, back to its original length wich turned out to be even longer than the first version: 106 minutes. That is the version we know to this day and the version that became an everlasting classic.
On the Criterion blu-ray there`s a supplement in wich the differences between the original 81 minute and the 106 minute version are shown, a very interesting piece. It would be awesome if someday we could see that 81 minute version as well. But I think and fear we all know better than to hope to see that version sometime...

9,0/10

Terfle -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (7/6/2012 3:04:44 PM)

'How to steal a million' one of my favourite Audrey H films

Saltire -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (9/6/2012 12:42:59 AM)

The Invisible Man (1933)

The effects were fantastic for the day, they still hold up pretty well, and Rains was fantastic in it.

8/10

Nicola1001 -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (11/6/2012 4:53:43 PM)

Young Frankenstein (1974) 6/10

Helen Of Troy (1956) 6/10

The Eiger Sanction (1975) 7/10

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (15/6/2012 1:02:12 PM)

The Black Scorpion (1957)

Decent 1950's sci-fi 7/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (17/6/2012 6:53:53 PM)

Watched yesterday and today:

The Gold Rush (1942 version)
Long after sound made its entry in cinema, Charlie Chaplin went back to revisit his silent films. He re-edited his 1925 masterpiece, composed a new score and wrote and told a new narration for it like a sort of voice over. Chaplin saw this version as the definitve version, he tried to have the original 1925 version destroyed so that audiences could only see this version.
The Chaplin estate thinks that this film is the only "true"version as well, the 1925 version is "just a nice supplement".

It`s a good thing that different people have different opinions because with that last bit I totally disagree. I found the original version to be far superior to this one. Chaplin left out the title card and wrote and told them as a voice-over, like he did with the dialogues. This way it feels more like a children`s book that is being read out to you than an adult film.
Also some scenes that made the original so strong, among wich a sub plot with Gloria and a beautiful ending, are left out or shortented a lot.
This version is 17 minutes shorter, so you can imagine how much is left out. It all doesn`t favour the film, making it a lot less interesting and short of emotional depth (as far as that was already present) as opposed to the original version.

All in all I feel that the choices that Chaplin made here aren`t for the better.
Personally I would say this version is a nice supplement and watch the original 1925 silent version.

6,5/10

To Catch A Thief
Cary Grant is a former juwel thief living in France. For years he hasn`t stolen any diamants but when a thief becomes active who carries his way of working he`s the first one being accused of the stealings.
Onjustly, according to himself. And so he tries to prove his innocence.
Partly shot on location in the French riviera, this is a light and entertaining Hitchcock in wich the beautiful locations are put to great use. Grant gives a good performance as the thief and it`s always a great pleasure watching Grace Kelly, the most beautiful woman to ever walk the face of the earth, on screen, especially in this tight high definition image.
It`s especially a very nice film but it nowhere gets really intense or exciting.
Highly recommended.

8,0/10

TheGodfather -> RE: Noirs in houses, with Heat and Desire. (20/6/2012 10:53:27 PM)

The 39 Steps
This film from the English era of Hitchcock has a high entertainment value. It`s very clear that some of his later films find their origin here (among wich The Wrong Man and of course North By Northwest) in Hitch`s first commercial succes.
It`ll never become his best film, because it`s "a fun watch" but nothing more than that, but a "lesser" Hitchcock is still better than most of the other films that are put out there.

7,5/10

Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI