RE: Cricket (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

svgbdgr -> RE: Cricket (11/7/2008 3:49:14 PM)

Cracking partnership between Bell and Broad this afternoon. Really like Broad, he seems to be constantly adapting and improving, long may it continue.

I reckon Goodfella's right about Colly being dropped, shame cos I really like him as a player, but it's not the time to be having a bad run with Freddie waiting in the wings.

It's always amusing to see Graeme Smith looking pissed off, even if he did play for Somerset. [:D]

pocketrocket -> RE: Cricket (11/7/2008 3:56:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: svgbdgr

Cracking partnership between Bell and Broad this afternoon. Really like Broad, he seems to be constantly adapting and improving, long may it continue.

Yep agree totally, just hope Broad can get his ton and Bell his double ton after tea!

600+ would really pile on the pressure, perhaps our bowling attack could have a little go in the last session?[;)]

svgbdgr -> RE: Cricket (11/7/2008 4:07:41 PM)

I'm guessing that would be the plan, it's always nice to put the opposition in for an awkward little session at the end of a long, frustrating day (or 2!) in the field.

I'm wondering which version of Jimmy Anderson we are gonna see.

ray_likethefish -> RE: Cricket (11/7/2008 4:29:53 PM)

This has got to be the best Batting performance from England as a team in a long long time. It's definitely been a long time coming. Like somebody already said, get the better side of 600 and declare with about 30 minutes left of the evening and try to nick a wicket or two to really make the South African's have a hard nights sleep

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (11/7/2008 9:28:53 PM)

Best batting performance by England since Geriant Jones and Ashley Giles stepped up to the crease in the 2005 Ashes. Some stunning partnerships - especially Bell and Broad who seemed so confident with every bowler they faced. Broad is unique in the fact he is only really coming to the forefront in county cricket as an all-rounder so hitting 40 odd against New Zealand and then cracking 76 against the second best side in the world just a few months later is the sign of a magnficent cricketer.

Graeme Smith looked really pissed of all afternoon and was taking it out on the umps by the end as it was clear he wanted time called before England declared, mind you the rain did him a favour in the end. Ntini was simly rubbish although Morkel showed himself as the best pacemen in the world since McGrath retired.

Need some early wickets tommorow though as if Smith and McKenzie get into the swing of things it is questionable to rule out thinking they could reach that scoreline as they have the likes of Kallis and De Villiers to follow.

quote:

I reckon Goodfella's right about Colly being dropped, shame cos I really like him as a player, but it's not the time to be having a bad run with Freddie waiting in the wings.

Colly was never out though today, the hotspot showed it came of his pad. Another poor decision by Billy Bowden who had Strauss lbw yesterday despite the fact it was wide of the offstump.

Good call still though. Since taking the capitancy at one-day level Colly has slipped away for some reason as a test batsmen and even if Freddie doesn't hit big, his bowling will be a tremendous adavtage and there's no way it can be anyone else at this point apart from perhaps Sidebottom.

svgbdgr -> RE: Cricket (12/7/2008 9:54:58 AM)

You're right, Colly was never out, bloody awful decision. But when you're in a bad spell, that's the sort of crap that goes against you. Bowden irritates me anyway, big bloody show-off. And the Strauss decision was a shocker.

Absolutely gutted for Bell, he was fantastic and thoroughly deserved a double ton. It would have been great if Broady had notched a century, he batted beautifully at times. I'm always impressed at how composed he looks at the crease.

Last week I was talking about cricket with a mate, and said our main problems at the moment are that not enough of our batsmen get big hundreds, and we rarely get more than 1 or 2 playing well at a time. I'd be a great pundit! [:D]

SAF have some fantastic batsmen in their line-up, so I reckon it could be a long day. We need some inspired bowling.

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (12/7/2008 11:02:24 AM)

quote:

You're right, Colly was never out, bloody awful decision. But when you're in a bad spell, that's the sort of crap that goes against you. Bowden irritates me anyway, big bloody show-off. And the Strauss decision was a shocker.

Absolutely gutted for Bell, he was fantastic and thoroughly deserved a double ton. It would have been great if Broady had notched a century, he batted beautifully at times. I'm always impressed at how composed he looks at the crease.

Last week I was talking about cricket with a mate, and said our main problems at the moment are that not enough of our batsmen get big hundreds, and we rarely get more than 1 or 2 playing well at a time. I'd be a great pundit! [:D]

SAF have some fantastic batsmen in their line-up, so I reckon it could be a long day. We need some inspired bowling.

There's a lot of talk that Broad could be dropped for Flintoff in the next test. David Collier would not make a good start to his job with the ECB if that call was to be made.

Our batsmen have been poor recently both in tests and limited overs. I still think in limited overs cricket we are searching for a decent opening partnership. Strauss and Cook are through and through test batsmen, Bell is better in the middle order at both levels and Wright simply isn't good enough. At test level we just need some more consistency - yesterday was still in weak in that we lost number three, number six and number seven for just 11 runs. Vaughan may find himself under some clouds as well after the dreadful defending of his wicket on day one.

Must bowl well quickly today because if Smith and McKenzie get into stride they are very difficult to stop. Should also follow SA's lead and if the runs start piling up throw in Panesar to slow things down like they did with Harris, it paid dividends for them.

Cracking start this morning, Smith has just been caught off the bowling of Jimmy Anderson! Nice to see that smug git dismissed. 13-1 off 5 and a half overs.

pocketrocket -> RE: Cricket (12/7/2008 12:03:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

quote:

There's a lot of talk that Broad could be dropped for Flintoff in the next test. David Collier would not make a good start to his job with the ECB if that call was to be made.

Our batsmen have been poor recently both in tests and limited overs. I still think in limited overs cricket we are searching for a decent opening partnership. Strauss and Cook are through and through test batsmen, Bell is better in the middle order at both levels and Wright simply isn't good enough. At test level we just need some more consistency - yesterday was still in weak in that we lost number three, number six and number seven for just 11 runs. Vaughan may find himself under some clouds as well after the dreadful defending of his wicket on day one.

Must bowl well quickly today because if Smith and McKenzie get into stride they are very difficult to stop. Should also follow SA's lead and if the runs start piling up throw in Panesar to slow things down like they did with Harris, it paid dividends for them.

Cracking start this morning, Smith has just been caught off the bowling of Jimmy Anderson! Nice to see that smug git dismissed. 13-1 off 5 and a half overs.

That would be very harsh on SB.

Amla gone!!![:D]

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (17/7/2008 12:05:25 PM)

Just watching Vaughan's interview on SSN and its clearly he's simply biting his lip over revealing Colly will be dropped - Flintoff's place tommorow has already been confirmed, its just a question of who goes.

Big news in English county cricket yesterday as the ECB announced the EPL (English Premier League) which will be established from 2010 and will feature two leagues of 10 teams each with 18 counties from the ECB and 2 overseas teams which is a very interesting format although a carbon copy in many senses of the IPL. They're also scrapping the Pro40 which is no surprise considering the criticism of the limited overs county league.

Going to definitely need the bowlers tommorow at Headingley with the pitch there but looking forward to a decent weekend of cricket where hopefully England can build on their good start.

I'm going to the Ashes next year at Edgbaston as well as guests of some friends which is good news for, well, me. [:D]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Cricket (17/7/2008 12:12:36 PM)

Apparently there have been seven straight test match draws at Lord's. Has the home of cricket got the most lifeless pitch on the planet?

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (17/7/2008 12:16:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Apparently there have been seven straight test match draws at Lord's. Has the home of cricket got the most lifeless pitch on the planet?

The South Africans have certainly run riot at Lord's in recent years. Graeme Smith's average there is something ridiculous like 132.

Still the most beautiful ground in English cricket. Hoping Taunton might get a shout at some of the one-dayers when they finish building the new stands and perhaps improve the boundary.

Skiba -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 12:51:50 PM)

Who the fuck is Darren Pattinson?  Where on earth did that one come from?  Tremlett must feel a right donk

And apparently he's a fucking Aussie!

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 1:46:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Who the fuck is Darren Pattinson?  Where on earth did that one come from?  Tremlett must feel a right donk

And apparently he's a fucking Aussie!

He's an unbeleivable success story. He was a roof tiler in Oz till a few years back when the Bushwhackers signed him up over there. He ripped up wickets like there was no tommorow so Notts snapped him up in April and he's started hitting form here so its no surprise as to his inclusion in the squad especially considering the overnight success of the likes of Stuart Broad. Good luck to him I say, he knows he'll be out once Sidey is fit again so he's got nothing to lose. A few wickets to his name could very well land him a place in the Twenty20 world cup.

As for Tremlett, superb limited overs player but I wouldn't want him sniffing around a test team. I think his average is something like 1-75 and thats off about eleven overs.

Billy Bowden made his third bad deicision against England in barely six days of cricket, cheers for that Billy. Vaughan really should consider himself lucky there's no direct replacement as a captain or number three because he's really pushing his luck - reminds me of Luke Wright, edging it to the slips when everyone's yelling to leave it alone.

Hopefully KP and Bell can hold out to at least 200 cause I am not looking forward to Ambrose batting at six.

Of course we do have one little positive still to come when we get out on the crease - Freddie.

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 1:57:15 PM)

I see KP is batting firmly with the stance of "let's not fuck about."[:D]

brampski -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 2:09:57 PM)

quote:

Fate. Tempted. [;)]

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 2:15:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brampski

quote:

Fate. Tempted. [;)]

Wasn't it just. [:D]

Third England player caught in the slips today and he didn't half slap it as well didn't he? Hopefully Bell will sit tight for a while but Ambrose is a bloody useless batting partner, he'll either run him out or he's going to be out before 2.30pm.

Hopefully that's tempting fate too![:D]

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 3:20:50 PM)

Thanks for proving me right Timmy, really appreciate it. [8|] But really, Ntini, for fuck's sake. He couldn't hit jackshit till you stepped up...

Freddie's at the wicket with Stuey and they look like they've both got a bit of a thing going on. Big blokes with a lot of power which is a good thing because being on 177-6 we really need some boundaries.

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 3:55:30 PM)

That's more like it England. Just fold.

I wouldn't bother sending Monty out with pads, his are a waste of ECB money.

Well Freddie, here's your chance. Rip them up!

brampski -> RE: Cricket (18/7/2008 4:08:16 PM)

quote:

That's more like it England. Just fold.

I wouldn't bother sending Monty out with pads, his are a waste of ECB money.

Well Freddie, here's your chance. Rip them up!

What an abject display of batting by all concerned! Hopefully, we can rip through their top order before the weather improves tomorrow as we could be completely out of it by the end of Day 3.

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (21/7/2008 1:22:10 PM)

First of all I'm extremely disappointed by all the public criticism of Pattinson's selection. Fair enough if you want to have a pop at the ECB over selection criteria but comments like this from Steve Harmison - "I'm not sure Darren deserves his place" - are completely unfair and will have an effect on the team's confidence, at least get behind the lad and the last time Harmison played for England, he bowled more wides than there were pints drunk in the crowd.

I'm sure Harmison alongside Simon Jones and Chris Tremlett and some other young players (notably Steve's younger brother Ben who is enjoying a good spell with Durham at the moment) will get their chances to wear the blue and white caps again - not too sure about Hoggard though, think his days might be up and it appears he knows it too. At the moment though with the Ashes on the horizon the bowling line-up of Sidebottom, Anderson, Broad and Flintoff should not be messed with too much if they carry on performing at this level.

Hats off to Jimmy Anderson this morning for a terrific show of defiance and will - a player some criticise for being "too hit and miss" has shown in this test series and the one against NZ that he is a great bowler with a innings average of between two and four wickets and a tail-end batsmen who on his day can make the opponents sweat when they think everything is almost settled.

As for the moment it looks like unless the skies burst open (which they will not cause we need them too) this one's going to SA. Cookie's still at the crease on an unbeaten 46 and he's shown he can do the job as a test opening batsmen (he may not hit many centuries but his batting is calm and consistent) but the rest have been shoddy again. Vaughan goes foolishly every time, Strauss going for none is useless to us and Pietersen walked again early today after a lack of control.

brampski -> RE: Cricket (21/7/2008 2:27:54 PM)

Bell gone straight after lunch - this isn't going to last long.  But did anyone really think that England could bat 2 days out for a draw like the Saffies did at Lords?!

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (22/7/2008 1:56:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brampski

Bell gone straight after lunch - this isn't going to last long.  But did anyone really think that England could bat 2 days out for a draw like the Saffies did at Lords?!

All the focus seems to be on our bowling and middle order selections - Pattinson chosen ahead of Harmison and Tremlett, Ambrose picked to bat at six, Collingwood (more important as a batsmen than a bowler although if you look at his bowling figures recently arguably alongside Monty he's most in-form) dropped completely.

Yet take a look at this....

Andrew Strauss  1  (v South Africa)
Lords: 44
Headingley: 27 and 0

Michael Vaughan  3  (v South Africa)
Lords: 2
Headingley: 0 and 21

Those are supposed to be two of our best batsmen from the last five years. They are also supposed to be the ones who will give us our headstart in the Ashes next year, can you take comfort from that? Strauss is so on and off whilst Vaughan's only current job in the team is captaining them which some are now arguing he's doing poorly. Even Pietersen has been far too slap-happy in the Headingley innings. 13 from 5 balls is fantastic but when you need to bat at the very least deep into the day don't take the Twenty20 style to the match, its completely stupid.

Pattinson didn't make waves but he got himself a couple of wickets and I've seen worst tail-enders as well, certainly not bad for someone fresh into county cricket. Glad to see Broad hit a huge knock yesterday as the selectors have hinted he'll be dropped to make way for Collingwood in the third test.

Should bring Phil Mustard back in at wicket as well. On top of that he can open the batting and I wouldn't mind seeing him take the place of Strauss for a while.

Skiba -> RE: Cricket (22/7/2008 2:20:57 PM)

Well all the focus I've seen has been the ineptitude of the batting but any ridicule of the selection of Pattinson is completly acceptable...to say his inclusion wasn't a surprise is total nonsense (Vaughn himself said today it was a confused selection). Save for the selectors, noone in cricket even had an inkling that he'd be included and whilst his performance wasn't terrible it was no better than slightly above average.

Whilst the loss is obviously not his fault, his inclusion would've certainly had an affect on other players as I would suspect that only a few of them would've met him before and I would put money on him never winning another cap

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (22/7/2008 2:46:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

Well all the focus I've seen has been the ineptitude of the batting but any ridicule of the selection of Pattinson is completly acceptable...to say his inclusion wasn't a surprise is total nonsense (Vaughn himself said today it was a confused selection). Save for the selectors, noone in cricket even had an inkling that he'd be included and whilst his performance wasn't terrible it was no better than slightly above average.

Whilst the loss is obviously not his fault, his inclusion would've certainly had an affect on other players as I would suspect that only a few of them would've met him before and I would put money on him never winning another cap

Well I don't agree and that last part is extremely harsh in my view. Until a few weeks ago Pattinson was the leading wicket-taker in county cricket and we need to pick players on form.

Harmison will get his chance again, as I imagine will Tremlett and Jones but I think with the Headingley pitch in mind and his impressive rise in county cricket, Pattinson was worthy of his inclusion.

boaby -> RE: Cricket (22/7/2008 3:50:54 PM)

my addiction to sport is growing. Test cricket is the latest poison I've been sampling.

I think Broad's role has to reassessed. He has caused more damage with the bat than with the ball, indeed he has been expensive and largely ineffective. Especially in the 2nd test. The extent to which this can be blamed on tiredness is debatable. It seems he needs to devote more time to his bowling. His ability with the bat would suggest he is the successor to Flintoff's all-rounder role. Perhaps playing Broad at 6 (replacing Collingwood) with Flintoff at 7 would provide better balance. That way they could select a 'keeper based solely on his ability behind the stumps and play him at 8.

Anderson, Sidebottom and Monty with Broad and Flintoff. Decent bowling attack. Lacking a genuine pace bowler, but there doesn't appear to be many about. p'raps Harmison. Though you'd have to drop Broad or Flintoff. Based on ability with ball you'd drop Broad but current form with bat you'd drop Flintoff - nae gonna happen. Tricky.

The batting is tricky too. I dunno enough about county cricket to suggest replacements. Boucher had 9 catches and slips a few too. Seems like judgement around off stump was poor. Decision by Ambrose and Flintoff to accelerate on a deteriorating pitch was strange, and Pietersen's cavellier assault was bizarre (p'raps riled by Anderson's clattering). A and F were the last "recognised" batsmen and needed to take a leaf from Prince and De Villiers book - leave the wide ones, hit the half-volleys hard and wait for the bowlers to bowl too straight. Hard dominate quick bowlers on a pitch exhibiting variable bounce and when the ball is nibbling around.

Vaughan may have called the selction confused but Moore's said he and Vaughan decided on Pattinson ahead of Tremlett. He must take some blame.

Beefy called it right. England outplayed in all aspects. Only Anderson played well and p'raps Cook and Broad can say they performed acceptably. Pattinson could do little more than he did with a Captain unsure of his capabilities despite picking him.

Entertaining though.

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (22/7/2008 9:34:27 PM)

quote:

my addiction to sport is growing. Test cricket is the latest poison I've been sampling.

I first started watching and playing the sport when I was eleven and after the intial boredom and sometimes confusion, it can become an overnight addiction. I was lucky to be coached by ex-England wicket keeper Alan Knott's brother although I think he always felt a bitterness towards his claim to fame.

quote:

I think Broad's role has to reassessed. He has caused more damage with the bat than with the ball, indeed he has been expensive and largely ineffective. Especially in the 2nd test. The extent to which this can be blamed on tiredness is debatable. It seems he needs to devote more time to his bowling. His ability with the bat would suggest he is the successor to Flintoff's all-rounder role. Perhaps playing Broad at 6 (replacing Collingwood) with Flintoff at 7 would provide better balance. That way they could select a 'keeper based solely on his ability behind the stumps and play him at 8.

The Headingley test was the first time I have seen Broad let himself go a bit with his bowling. It was a bit erratic - his line and length the other day was dreadful - it sat up very easily for Ashwell Prince and AB Villiers. Prior to that though he was a superb bowler at both test and limited overs cricket - in fact in the latter he is our best bowler alongside Colly, he ripped up NZ wickets in the ODI series, especially in the Bristol game I went to. Given some more time to mature and gain some more experience (remember he's only 19) and getting the chance to work with the likes of Flintoff and Sidebottom he will only get better and I imagine come the Ashes next year he could be our top pacemen. Also as you mentioned with the bat he has been incredible.

As for the order I'd stick with the top five but keep a close eye on Vaughan and Strauss. It's a toss up between Freddie and Colly for number six (both can bat there very well and I don't buy Vaughan's claim Freddie is the best number seven batsmen since Adam Gilchrist batted there for Australia), Broad should stay at seven and drop Ambrose back to eight and I still think the selectors should give Phil Mustard another shot.

quote:

Anderson, Sidebottom and Monty with Broad and Flintoff. Decent bowling attack. Lacking a genuine pace bowler, but there doesn't appear to be many about. p'raps Harmison. Though you'd have to drop Broad or Flintoff. Based on ability with ball you'd drop Broad but current form with bat you'd drop Flintoff - nae gonna happen. Tricky.

Harmison still has a lot of work to do to convince England he can be a consistent opening bowler for them. He was dropped for a reason, Simon Jones might stand a chance though as injuiry saw him forced out of the England squad but he's fully fit now and has been bowling well at Worcs recently.

quote:

The batting is tricky too. I dunno enough about county cricket to suggest replacements. Boucher had 9 catches and slips a few too. Seems like judgement around off stump was poor. Decision by Ambrose and Flintoff to accelerate on a deteriorating pitch was strange, and Pietersen's cavellier assault was bizarre (p'raps riled by Anderson's clattering). A and F were the last "recognised" batsmen and needed to take a leaf from Prince and De Villiers book - leave the wide ones, hit the half-volleys hard and wait for the bowlers to bowl too straight. Hard dominate quick bowlers on a pitch exhibiting variable bounce and when the ball is nibbling around.

Vaughan may have called the selction confused but Moore's said he and Vaughan decided on Pattinson ahead of Tremlett. He must take some blame.

Beefy called it right. England outplayed in all aspects. Only Anderson played well and p'raps Cook and Broad can say they performed acceptably. Pattinson could do little more than he did with a Captain unsure of his capabilities despite picking him.

No-one really jumps out to claim a place in the batting top three at the moment - Vikram Solanki was the last one to catch some attention but he appears to have fallen away and I don't even think the Lions squad use him anymore. Perhaps Graeme Hick?[:D] Seriously he slaps em good!

I did also find it strange we decided to push through the bowling on a wicket where the ball's bounce is so unpredictable and it was no surprise to see Boucher take so many catches, it is a wicket keeper's favourite pitch. We need to calm our batting down a bit - KP is the worse for that, he seems to struggle to get out of one-day mode.

Speaking of the one-day squad, Graham Napier must get a shout after his superb form for Essex recently with both bat and ball - he took 4-42 today against Gloucs.

boaby -> RE: Cricket (23/7/2008 1:24:40 AM)

I first started watching cricket only when the Aussies were on. Just to see Warne bowl. His futile performance in "thee" Ashes was something to behold. So many variations, so much ability, the cheek of the man. Class.

Much like fitba, I like those who let it all hang out. Bravo, Rhodes, Donald, Anderson, Lee, Warne, Pietersen, McCullum, Malinga. The one's who show guile like Lara manipulating the field, Vettori with his speed and flight and angles, Vaughan as captain, Kumble and Murali. Prefer spinners to the quicks; more engaging, better flow to overs, more sneaky.

Nae so much a fan of T20 or 1-dayers. Gimme a test-match every time.

Back to England's multitude of problems...

Is Simon Jones that different to Anderson and Sidebottom? From what I recall of "thee" Ashes series he was mostly swing, especially reverse, rather than a pacy "hit-the-deck" bowler. More skiddy. A Steyn rather than Morkel, if you will. Variety is needed methinks. SA have skiddy Steyn, bouncy Morkel, Ntini's odd angles and Kallis to frustrate the bejeezus out of the batsmen. Harris seems like an after-thought. But he has profited from the batters feeling like they can hammer him.

I still think Broad is performing more like an all-rounder than Flintoff.

I keep hearing Rob Key's name mentioned. No 3. material?

dh_19 -> RE: Cricket (23/7/2008 12:40:49 PM)

quote:

Should bring Phil Mustard back in at wicket as well. On top of that he can open the batting and I wouldn't mind seeing him take the place of Strauss for a while.

Phil Mustard averages 26 in first class cricket and hasn't hit a century in the last two seasons (although he'd be my pick for ODI's). Let's not forget that Strauss got a shocking decision at Lords and received an almost unplayable delivery in the second innings at Headingley.

I wouldn't want to be a selector at the moment as it's difficult getting a balanced side with Flintoff in. He's obviously not good enough to be a specialist batsmen and it would always be a risk including him in only a four man attack.

Goodfella -> RE: Cricket (23/7/2008 10:31:41 PM)

quote:

Phil Mustard averages 26 in first class cricket and hasn't hit a century in the last two seasons (although he'd be my pick for ODI's). Let's not forget that Strauss got a shocking decision at Lords and received an almost unplayable delivery in the second innings at Headingley.

This is true but his county form has caught my eye recently and he hasn't had a huge amount of blue cap chances. Definitely good choice for the ODI's and maybe he should be given another shot at test cricket. Let's face it, since Jones we haven't had a wicket keeper who has been able to bat well enough. I'm happy with the Strauss at the minute as there's no direct replacement other than Luke Wright who I lack a serious amount of confidence in.

quote:

I wouldn't want to be a selector at the moment as it's difficult getting a balanced side with Flintoff in. He's obviously not good enough to be a specialist batsmen and it would always be a risk including him in only a four man attack.

No but they made a very stupid decision promoting Ambrose to six (a vital batting position) after his recent form. Flintoff must ideally play that role and be given the responsibility or we bring Colly back into the side.

quote:

I first started watching cricket only when the Aussies were on. Just to see Warne bowl. His futile performance in "thee" Ashes was something to behold. So many variations, so much ability, the cheek of the man. Class.

Sensational spin bowler. Not as good as Muttiah Muralitharan. Leading test-wicket taker of all time with 666 I beleive. Great figure there![:D]

quote:

Much like fitba, I like those who let it all hang out. Bravo, Rhodes, Donald, Anderson, Lee, Warne, Pietersen, McCullum, Malinga. The one's who show guile like Lara manipulating the field, Vettori with his speed and flight and angles, Vaughan as captain, Kumble and Murali. Prefer spinners to the quicks; more engaging, better flow to overs, more sneaky.

Nae so much a fan of T20 or 1-dayers. Gimme a test-match every time.

Vettori is one of my favourite bowlers. Brilliant placement on the ball and always introduces himself to the game at the worst possible time for the batsmen. Mitchell Johnson, the new Ozzie paceman, looks a real livewire and alongside Tait, Lee and Bracken it will be intriguing to see how England's batsmen fare next year.

quote:

Is Simon Jones that different to Anderson and Sidebottom? From what I recall of "thee" Ashes series he was mostly swing, especially reverse, rather than a pacy "hit-the-deck" bowler. More skiddy. A Steyn rather than Morkel, if you will. Variety is needed methinks. SA have skiddy Steyn, bouncy Morkel, Ntini's odd angles and Kallis to frustrate the bejeezus out of the batsmen. Harris seems like an after-thought. But he has profited from the batters feeling like they can hammer him.

Not really but he has a terrific amount of experience and has battled his way back from injuiry and is current leading wicket-taker in CC Division Two. Harris was slated by Atherton and Pollock during the commentary on the Lord's test, they couldn't understand why they chose a spinner but he came out at totally the wrong point for England, slowed the pace right down, removed a key man and set the rest up to fall to SA's seamers. On Headingley, the wicket was carved up and he never really stood a chance.

quote:

I still think Broad is performing more like an all-rounder than Flintoff.

Without a doubt. A good average with the ball and he closes in well on an average of 50 with the bat. He also seems to be able to deal very well with pressure when batting, something Ambrose and Colly definitely don't do.

quote:

I keep hearing Rob Key's name mentioned. No 3. material?

Would be in my eyes if it wasn't for Vaughan. Vikram Solanki was the main man before but he seems to have gone missing.

Skiba -> RE: Cricket (24/7/2008 4:27:59 PM)

Warne got 708 test wickets and Murali is now past that and there is a good debate here http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/nov/07/cricket.comment1 on who is better

It's Warne for me as that boy could get turn on a car park...whilst Murali is obviously one of the best his questionable action taints him for me

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI