MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

Beetlejuice! -> MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 4:54:50 PM)

I'm adapting this idea from Radio One. What happens here is an indiviual lists their 20 favourite movies (in any order), and the rest of us will suggest one film each that they should check out. If they have seen the film, then they can comment on it to let us know if we're on the right track. We continue suggesting until the original poster has 5 recommended films. Or maybe 10 depending how popular this is.

So any questions and who would like to be our first subject?

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:23:50 PM)

Why not?

1) Rear Window
2) Seven Samurai
3) Ikiru
4) The 400 Blows
5) Citizen Kane
6) La Chinoise
7) Stolen Kisses
8) Pierrot le Fou
9) Badlands
10) Touch of Evil
11) Jules et Jim
12) Last Year At Marienbad
13) 2001; A Space Odyssey
14) Vertigo
15) Le Mepris
16) Only Yesterday
17) Grave of the Fireflies
18) Back To The Future
19) Zazie Dans Le Metro
20) The Big Sleep

Just remembered Annie Hall- that would be in the top 15.

PB~! -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:25:56 PM)

I like this idea, but I'm doing my Top 100 and don't want to give it away.

Jamesbondguy,  I'd love to give you some recomendations, but I don't really have the knowledge.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:29:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PB~!

I like this idea, but I'm doing my Top 100 and don't want to give it away.

Jamesbondguy,  I'd love to give you some recomendations, but I don't really have the knowledge.

Yeah I realise a lot of folk may want to sit out to not reveal their own lists, however everyone is welcome to add a recomendation

TheManWithNoShame -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:31:49 PM)

I recommend Commando

Beetlejuice! -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:35:37 PM)

Cheers jamesbondguy for being first. You've got one hell of a list, needless to say I haven't seen a lot of them. But here's my recommendation (no doubt you'll have seen [:D])

Pickup on South Street
Caught this on Film4 a few months back, Sam Fuller's tough noir with excellent performances from Richard Widmark and Thelma Ritter.

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:39:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

Cheers jamesbondguy for being first. You've got one hell of a list, needless to say I haven't seen a lot of them. But here's my recommendation (no doubt you'll have seen [:D])

Pickup on South Street
Caught this on Film4 a few months back, Sam Fuller's tough noir with excellent performances from Richard Widmark and Thelma Ritter.

Yep, I've already seen it. I agree though, it's a superb little film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame
I recommend Commando

Seen this, as well. [:D]

Rhubarb -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:43:31 PM)

Amelie. You've probably seen it though.

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:47:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Yeah, I have. I like it.

Beetlejuice! -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:50:23 PM)

How about Lone Star - John Sayles multi-character modern noir.

Rhubarb -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:51:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

Yeah, I have. I like it.

Good on you.

TheManWithNoShame -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 5:59:38 PM)

Shark Attack 3 then...

dracovir -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:00:47 PM)

Out of that list, Jamesbondguy, then Seven Samurai.  Well worth it if you haven't seen it yet.

Black and white, 'old', and foreign - all aspects of film-elitism in one!  [:D]

Rhubarb -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:02:18 PM)

I was gonna say Shark Attack 3.

I think Stranger Than Paradise is something you would like JBG if you haven't had the pleasure.

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:02:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beetlejuice!

How about Lone Star - John Sayles multi-character modern noir.

Believe it or not, I've asked a few people about John Sayles films today. I saw Honeydripper on Monday, and it made me want to see some of his more well-regarded stuff. I'll check Lone Star out- just read about it on IMDB, and it seems pretty interesting.

darthbane -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:03:59 PM)

I recommend Wages of Fear

Rhubarb -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:05:55 PM)

Central Station

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:07:27 PM)

quote:

I think Stranger Than Paradise is something you would like JBG if you haven't had the pleasure.

I've wanted to see some Jarmusch for a while, actually. I'll add this to the to-see list, as well. This thread is turning out to be pretty useful.

And I've seen Shark Attack 3. I've seen Shark Attack 2, as well. [:D]

Rhubarb -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:11:01 PM)

Shark Attack 2 is much better than the first Shark Attack I think, so I won't reccomend you that [:D]

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:12:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthbane

I recommend Wages of Fear

One of my favourite films. I should watch it again, actually.

quote:

Central Station
[/quote]

I've read about this before, I think. I'll look into it. It's the one from Brazil, right?

Rhubarb -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:15:56 PM)

Yeah Brazil, Walter Salles. Its just an absolutely beautiful story, and the performances transendental.

TheManWithNoShame -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:29:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

quote:

I've wanted to see some Jarmusch for a while, actually. I'll add this to the to-see list, as well. This thread is turning out to be pretty useful.

And I've seen Shark Attack 3. I've seen Shark Attack 2, as well. [:D]

Alright smartass, I'll recommend Satantango then. Thats right, all 7hrs of it. I know you haven't seen that at least.

Manchurian candidate -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:59:18 PM)

If you like Terence Davies I'd recommend Fuest's 1970 Wuthering Heights.

I think it's a brilliant film actually. Timothy Dalton is in it.

Jasiri -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 6:59:54 PM)

Given JBG's love for French cinema Raymond Bernard's Les Croix de bois.Can't believe I passed up a chance to pimp Peppermint Candy.[sm=whistle.gif]

elab49 -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 9:45:20 PM)

French cinema - I'm thinking it might be difficult to hit on any not seen! I'd recommend Le Quai Des Brumes and Bob Le Flambeur, meeting 60s French and pre-Noir.

On the noir interest - the original Stranger on the Third Floor maybe? Nicholas Ray's They Live by Night. Or most anything by Lang. Perhaps even his version of Le Bete Humane - Human Desire. Or if it is Chandler, Strangers on a Train.

I'd certainly recommend Sayles to anyone - he is, in my opinion, one of the best directors working today. Eight Men Out/Matewan and Lone Star are probably the key works. Passion Fish is also a personal favourite. If it was only one, I'd go for Eight Men Out.

Piles -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 10:04:42 PM)

I'd reccomend either Amour L'Apris Midi (1972, Rohmer) and Pauline a la Plaige (1983, Eric Rohmer), but you've probably already seen then ;).

jamesbondguy -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 10:13:19 PM)

Thanks a lot guys- a lot of recommendations to try out, and I'll make sure I'll see as many as I can. I haven't seen any of the films mentioned since TheManWithNoShame's last post, actually- not even Bob Le Flambeur, which suprises even me.

Piles, please check you inbox. Thanks.

elab49 -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 10:31:19 PM)

I thought I'd try Quai Des Brumes because I think it might have been you that mentioned seeing the wonderful Pepe le Moko? I'm a great admirer of Jean Gabin, and he did work with some amazing people in the late 30s.

Piles -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 10:48:29 PM)

I tried to reply, JBG, but your box is full! [:D]...

Is that e-mail adress also your IM? I'll add you if it is.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: MOVIE GENERATOR: 5 Personalised Recommendations (28/5/2008 10:52:03 PM)

How about Disturbia? Homage to Rear Window and all that. [:D]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI