RE: Oh dear.. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

JRockwell -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 4:51:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Dave B I have just read your review and it would seem I agree with your review completely. What was the vibe at the midnight screening like? After seeing it today I am glad I made the choice to stick with the Champions League final. 

You would have given up the final for that?! Good Lord man! If you'd have missed that greatest spectacle, crying yourself to sleep at night for your defences of George Lucas would have seemed like the best of times. Did you see Ronaldo smile at Drogba when he accused him of diving? Gold.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 4:52:04 PM)

A solid 3.5/5 inbetween Empire and total films scores.  If you liked the other three you should like this as it has the same setup and payoff - eg action start - Uni / college - treasure hunt and rollarcoster ending.  The story is slightly ridiculous but suspend your disbelief and you'll have a great time.  It's definitely Indy! Cate and Sheia are excellent and Ford fits back into the role effortlessly... extremley fun summer popcorn movie.  I'd ask the people who hated it what they would do differently?

DazDaMan -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 4:59:11 PM)

I'm not long back from seeing it, and I'd give it 4 out of 5.  The first half of the film is really good, leads into what could have been a much better second half, but like others have said you don't really get a sense that Indy (or any of the support) are in any kind of danger.  The ending, however, very much a suspension of disbelief moment - even more so than all-powerful stones, cups that give everlasting life or boxes full of God-knows what!!

But yeah, I'd give it a solid 4 - solid summer blockbuster stuff. 

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:00:16 PM)

i was hoping this film didnt rely too heavily on CGI, thats really what was so good about Indy being shot in the 80's, CGI wasnt relied upon to wow people. It was the stunts.

But Indy IV did. I mean, its used to great effect most of the time - that amazon chase scene is one of the best action scenes ive seen in a good while.

My thoughts arnt structured enough to be coherent so im just gona ramble...

SPOILERS - well people shouldnt really be in the thread if they dont want to know whats happening.

The ant scene, was too similar to The Mummy, i mean, its a good scene, but ive seen it done before so well.
Theres too much coincidence in the film - him surviving the bomb - his fridge went flying and he didnt die!
The way they got off the cliff with the car - fucking hell, that tree was conviently placed there - but to be fair, that was quite imaginative.

Hurt just seemed like a character driving the story with exposition, no character - and "Jonesy", that got annoying after a while.

The ending - i'm still not sure what to make of it - archeology is kinda studying the supernatural with curses and stuff, but the whole alien thing was too unbeliveable - well, the last three were pretty unbelievable, but IV made it 21st century unbelievable.

darth_venom -> (22/5/2008 5:03:59 PM)

I’m off to watch Raiders now and pretend those two hours were just a bad dream. Damn you George. First the Star Wars prequels and now this! Are you just trying to rape my childhood?

I’m giving it an extra half star for having Jim Robinson and the janitor from Scrubs in it.

Dave B -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:04:39 PM)

*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS*****

Actually my main thought after the film was that they should have gone with the idea of casting Kevin Costner as Indy's brother. Now that would have been good. None of this stupid Mutt bullshit.

libertine -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:04:43 PM)

Sadly not that good at all. Harrison Ford is excellent though, as was Shia as Mutt and the scenes they had together really worked for me. The film though felt like a betryal to what the original films were all about, i don't mind CGI if it is used sparingly but instead it became a silly cartoon of a film. It was though the ending that really let it down which was some of the worst staging of Speilberg's entire career.

3 stars! [:(]

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:14:36 PM)

Loved the ending suggesting a passing of the torch only to be cleverly taken away again.  Indy 5? Or does that just mean that the charachter isn't ready to give up yet but we'll never see it? Shocked that so many people don't like it - great summer fare.  And for the record the GCI was excellent - the ants and the monkey's were very well created. 

James2183 -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:14:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

Actually my main thought after the film was that they should have gone with the idea of casting Kevin Costner as Indy's brother. Now that would have been good. None of this stupid Mutt bullshit.

SPOILERS BELOW

The problem with Mutt and the apparent reveal that he is now going to take over the job as the new Dr Jones is that he doesn't share the same passion as his father. Yes he loves to read books as he tells us in the film, but he doesn't have half the charisma or knowledge like young Indy did in The Last Crusade.

Having Costner as his brother would have been just as bad as it's something that is just plucked out of thin air as it would never have been mentioned in the previous films.

Dave B -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:15:40 PM)

quote:

Dave B I have just read your review and it would seem I agree with you completely. What was the vibe at the midnight screening like? After seeing it today I am glad I made the choice to stick with the Champions League final. 

You remember the Episode III midnight screening? Well it was nothing like that as there seemed to be a complete lack of buzz and excitement. No handing around of expensive lightsabers here. [:D]

Also one person tried to get some applause going at the beginning and failed. No applause at the end either. It was also surprisingly empty and I really don't think this film is going to do that well at the box office.

Surely you could have seen the football and the midnight screening though?

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:16:22 PM)

quote:

quote:

SPOILERS BELOW

The problem with Mutt and the apparent reveal that he is now going to take over the job as the new Dr Jones is that he doesn't share the same passion as his father. Yes he loves to read books as he tells us in the film, but he doesn't have half the charisma or knowledge like young Indy did in The Last Crusade.

See above - I took it the opposite way that Jones wasn't ready to hang up his hat yet and that we might get an Indy 5

deedeetee -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:17:12 PM)

Flying in the face of just about everyone who has so far posted, I liked it. I had a smile on my face the whole way through, a fun action movie. As for all the complaints about CGI, I found the worst effect in the whole film was the snake.

James2183 -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:19:16 PM)

quote:

Heh, I learnt from the Episode III screening that a few beers and a two and half hour film were not a good combination. Besides, by the time the match finished I would have only had a short amount of time to get down to the ferry. It doesn't sound like I missed much as I doubt I will ever have the same experience I had at the Episode III screening. [:D]

Mojo -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:20:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

Heh, I learnt from the Episode III screening that a few beers and a two and half hour film were not a good combination. Besides, by the time the match finished I would have only had a short amount of time to get down to the ferry. It doesn't sound like I missed much as I doubt I will ever have the same experience I had at the Episode III screening. [:D]

James, give it to me straight. Am I going to enjoy this film?

Nacho -> Crackin! (22/5/2008 5:22:10 PM)

Just got back from watchin Indy IV and thought it was damn good! The aliens were abit iffy but other than that all good!

James2183 -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:22:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic
See above - I took it the opposite way that Jones wasn't ready to hang up his hat yet and that we might get an Indy 5

SPOILERS BELOW

Well Lucas did say at the Cannes premier that he wanted to make another Indy film with Mutt taking over the lead role and having Indy as the Connery sidekick. This would only mean another film and then a possibly new trilogy with Mutt Jones. [:'(]

bubba899 -> RE: In the name of God!!! (22/5/2008 5:24:24 PM)

SPOLIERS

Saw it last night at leicester square. I've been trying to sum up how I feel about it all day, I loved it for the most part. The set peices were cracking (two of which, the Area 51 and bike scene taking their place in the Indy stunt pantheon), the characters were good and although the dialoge was a little choppy at times, the ensemble cast handled themselves well (particually Shia, who was excelent as Indy's foil), the gags were suitably...gaggy. I dont mind the alien stuff at all and feel it fits the context of the film (Hitler was big on religious artifacts, where as Stalin was all about UFOs). I didnt stop smiling through out, well atleast almost through out.

However, the ending left me feeling a bit bemused. My suspension of disbelief was certainly tested beyond what I can usually handle (and this was a film that threw Indy surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge and Shia doing a Tarzan, the former I lapped up, the latter I laughed at). The flying saucer was, although stunning visually, bewildering and threw me out of the film at the very point I wanted to be most captivated. Also, the CGI was a little gratuitous. It didn't detract when it was aiding the action, because it was fairly solid, but was used un nessisarily in places and only went further to taking me out of my state of enjoyment.

As to wether I can recomend it, certainly, a very enjoyable film that gives us another taste of Indy. However, I think I need to see it again to truely make my mind up.

for now, KOTCS is flawed, but good fun. Like Temple without the dark plot or Last Cruisade without the solid conclusion.

3/5, may go up or down depending on the second veiwing.

nucleargibbon -> (22/5/2008 5:28:32 PM)

The impact noise made by the poison dart that was fired at Mutt was taken DIRECTLY from the beginning of Raiders. Everyone likes the odd nod/in-joke, but I kinda got a feeling of desperation in this film. Loads of little things like that were going on, almost as if it were in a kind of "Shit, theyre going to realise very quickly that this film is a major disappointment, so lets stick in as many subliminal-style references to the first 3 films as possible so they associate this film with good times and enjoyment" way.

James2183 -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:31:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

James, give it to me straight. Am I going to enjoy this film?

I have no idea Mojo. As you can see from this thread reviews are very varied but I hope you do haved a good time. Opinions are like arseholes and I just hope that I am wrong and the majority of people like it, because I don't want anyone to have their childhood heroes damaged.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Oh dear.. (22/5/2008 5:31:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: theoriginalcynic

SPOILERS BELOW

Well Lucas did say at the Cannes premier that he wanted to make another Indy film with Mutt taking over the lead role and having Indy as the Connery sidekick. This would only mean another film and then a possibly new trilogy with Mutt Jones. [:'(]

You see I don't actually mind that idea as I like Sheia (have liked everything he's been in) and Harrison is getting on a bit (so a smaller role might be ok as long as they treat him with respect) Kick starting a new franchise sounds like a good idea to me (this movie will make a fortune and has decent reviews) But if the public don't like it then maybe this will be the last we see... hope not

nucleargibbon -> (22/5/2008 5:34:23 PM)

...and some not-quite-so-subliminal references I might add, like actually seeing the Ark in the box (the music was enough to highlight that we were in the same warehouse in my view). And any scene with Marion in it. There didnt seem to be any other reason as to why she was there!

spidermanfan -> Possibly the worse sequel known to man (22/5/2008 5:35:55 PM)

SPOILERS BELOW

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death by ants? Nuclear weapons testing? ALIENS??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Speilberg has definitely lost the plot entirely, with no concept of what actually made the original Indys so great. It grew more and more farfetched as the film went on

Overall, possibly one of the worst sequels i have ever seen, and definitely a tremendous waste of 8 for a ticket!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

Mr Fallan -> Mr Fallan (22/5/2008 5:38:48 PM)

Spoilers...At the end of the day, this was only a movie, but a solid one at that! I found the first half most enjoyable and the film could've been called Indiana Jones & the 1950s with a rich recreation of an era-an obvious passion Lucas has-see American Graffiti. It was the second half where it got silly but still maintained its sense of fun-what Indy is all about. No comment on the finale... but another nod to the 1950s. And i'm very dubious about another possible sequel, but certainly agree in this bold comeback. Indy fans go and see this and anyone that loves the 1950s!

krudler -> RE: Possibly the worse sequel known to man (22/5/2008 5:52:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spidermanfan

SPOILERS BELOW

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Death by ants? Nuclear weapons testing? ALIENS??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Speilberg has definitely lost the plot entirely, with no concept of what actually made the original Indys so great. It grew more and more farfetched as the film went on

Overall, possibly one of the worst sequels i have ever seen, and definitely a tremendous waste of 8 for a ticket!!

xxxxxxxxxxx

as opposed to a box with the power of god in it, magic rocks and black magic and a cup that makes you immortal?

jimibadboi7 -> DIABOLICAL (22/5/2008 6:03:07 PM)

I'm not a pissed off fanboy....I actually quite liked the star wars prequels (well, Ep 3 anyway).....After the good reviews i went into this film expecting just a good movie at the very least.....i mean if it's better than Doom, then it's a winner with me.....

Where was the action??? where was the story???? who the fack is Oxley??? where was the emotional attachment??? the excitement???

Spielberg says it's gonna be old skool...very little CGI.....i swear every scene was CGI!!!!

those bloody merecat things.....Mutt doing a tarzan with cgi monkeys....falling down 3 waterfalls!?

I just got back from the cinema...and i'm gutted.....empire giving this film 4 stars is a bigger crime than giving attack of the clones 5!!!

i can't imagine anyone who has seen an Indy film...enjoying this!!!

jimibadboi7 -> DIABOLICAL (22/5/2008 6:03:15 PM)

I'm not a pissed off fanboy....I actually quite liked the star wars prequels (well, Ep 3 anyway).....After the good reviews i went into this film expecting just a good movie at the very least.....i mean if it's better than Doom, then it's a winner with me.....

Where was the action??? where was the story???? who the fack is Oxley??? where was the emotional attachment??? the excitement???

Spielberg says it's gonna be old skool...very little CGI.....i swear every scene was CGI!!!!

those bloody merecat things.....Mutt doing a tarzan with cgi monkeys....falling down 3 waterfalls!?

I just got back from the cinema...and i'm gutted.....empire giving this film 4 stars is a bigger crime than giving attack of the clones 5!!!

i can't imagine anyone who has seen an Indy film...enjoying this!!!

Makman -> Is this Highlander 2? (22/5/2008 6:07:49 PM)

**SPOILER** The film was well-made, action packed but the climax sucked. It reminded me of "Highlander 2" with the bizarre sci-fi elements. I didn't mind the Roswell references but the Alien/Flying Saucer was too much ... I was expecting R2 D2 and C3 PO to show up too!

jimibadboi7 -> (22/5/2008 6:11:02 PM)

I'm going to watch Cassandra's Dream....

mpil1 -> yeah it was bad!!! (22/5/2008 6:21:25 PM)

firstly i didnt agree with name of the film "the kingdom of the crystal skull", from all of the titles to choose from they picked that one!! secondly its about aliens, why on earth would u make an indian jones film about aliens!! i think george lucas has had far to much say in this film, he ruined star wars with those god awful prequels and now his had to much say with the 4th indy film, not good at all. There was nothing new with this indy film same jokes, same fake punching sound, even the same soundtrack, there didnt seem any attempt to add something new to film, instead they went with the tried and true method, sadly tho the only thing that has changed is Harrison Ford has gotten old and it showed. its a shame that this film wasnt released sooner rather than later.

hobx -> RE: Is this Highlander 2? (22/5/2008 6:22:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Artoo02

I loved it, I feel sorry for everyone who didn't.

Me too mate, I'm very surprised by the amount of vitriol from all everyone. Guess it was always going to be the case.

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI