RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs

garvielloken -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (14/11/2011 8:03:36 PM)

Very well put Bill, Fulci and Argento are true artists. One need not look any further than the opening double murder in Suspiria, breathtaking stuff. Or the way Fulci turned something as lowbrow as destroying eyeballs and turned it into something grotesque and beautiful at the same time. Martha's eyeball popping in The Beyond is my personal favourite. Simply awesome [:D] 

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (15/11/2011 7:26:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

Very well put Bill, Fulci and Argento are true artists. One need not look any further than the opening double murder in Suspiria, breathtaking stuff. Or the way Fulci turned something as lowbrow as destroying eyeballs and turned it into something grotesque and beautiful at the same time. Martha's eyeball popping in The Beyond is my personal favourite. Simply awesome [:D] 

Nobody beats eye poping moments like Fulci,loved that scene in THE BEYOND,your right it was the most impressive.Plus let's not forget the splinter in the eye in ZOMBI aka Zombie Flesh Eaters,and the razor blade to the eyeball in NEW YORK RIPPER

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (27/1/2012 7:03:19 PM)

Arrow will release the Blu-ray edition of The House by the Cemetery on 7th May. Here's the special features:

- Reversible sleeve with 3 original poster artworks and newly commissioned artwork cover
- Double-sided fold-out artwork poster
- Collector’s booklet featuring writing on the film by author Calum Waddell
- Brand new High Definition restoration from the original negative presented totally uncut
- Optional English subtitles for both the English and Italian audio tracks
- Audio commentary with star Catriona MacColl, moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with co-star Silvia Collatina, moderated by Mike Baronas of Paura Productions
- Introduction to the film by star Giovanni Frezza
- Back to the Cellar: Interview with star Giovanni Frezza
- Cemetery Woman: Interview with star Catriona MacColl
- Freudstein's Follies: Interview with special effects artist Giannetto De Rossi
- Women of Italian Horror: Featuring Silvia Collatina (The House by the Cemetery), Stefania Casini (Suspiria/ Bloodstained Shadow) and Barbara Magnolfi (Suspiria/ The Sister Of Ursula)
- House by the Cemetery Onstage Q&A Cast Reunion: Live from the Horrorhound convention, Indianapolis, March 2011: Featuring Catriona MacColl, Giovanni Frezza, Silvia Collatina, Carlo DeMejo and Dagmar Lassander
- From the Vault: Italian Gore Classics - a collection of reminisces on key spaghetti splatter shockers from the vaults of High Rising Productions: featuring Sergio Martino, Luigi Cozzi, Sergio Stivaletti and more
- Trailers of Terror: Twenty Cult Trailers - including several rare previews from the resume of the late, great Lucio Fulci
- The Italian Master of Splatter Featurette
- Deleted scene
- Trailers
- TV Spot
- Easter eggs

Discodez -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (30/1/2012 1:51:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

ArrowDrome will release Fulci's Gates of Hell Trilogy as a boxset on 7th November.

On the Amazon site, there is a picture of the cover for that Box set that says it's also available on blu-ray, but I can't find the blu-ray anywhere... Has the blu-ray version been released yet?

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (30/1/2012 6:13:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

quote:

ArrowDrome will release Fulci's Gates of Hell Trilogy as a boxset on 7th November.

On the Amazon site, there is a picture of the cover for that Box set that says it's also available on blu-ray, but I can't find the blu-ray anywhere... Has the blu-ray version been released yet?

The films are available on Blu-ray individually.

Swoz_MK -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (30/1/2012 6:31:19 PM)

I'd give my legs for an Arrow release of Conquest.

Discodez -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (31/1/2012 9:46:24 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

The films are available on Blu-ray individually.

OK cheers

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (2/2/2012 1:41:51 PM)

Picked up City of the Living Dead and The Beyond on blu ray recently, had seen The Beyond before but not City of the Living Dead, really enjoyed it!

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (8/2/2012 7:19:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Picked up City of the Living Dead and The Beyond on blu ray recently, had seen The Beyond before but not City of the Living Dead, really enjoyed it!

Yop need House By The Cemetery to complete your Lucio Fulci Gates Of Hell Blu-Ray Trilogy[;)][:D]Love your Avatar.

Dr Lenera -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (19/4/2012 8:30:36 AM)

[image]http://static.freemoviedb.com/imgs/movie_imgs/mid/4bc962fe017a3c57fe02d203/the_gates_of_hell.jpg[/image]
In New York, Mary Woodhouse experiences a traumatic vision during a séance of a priest, Father Thomas, hanging himself in a remote town called Dunwich. She collapses and is mistakenly buried alive but is rescued by journalist Peter Bell. Theresa, the medium who initiated the séance, warns Peter warns Mary and Peter that, according to the ancient book of Enoch, there is a door through which the living dead can enter, a door that has just been opened by Father Thomas dying, and the invasion is due to begin on All Saints Day, just 48 hours away. As Mary and Peter set off to find Dunwich, strange things begin to happen in Dunwich including the shattering of glass, the appearance of rotting corpses, unexplained murders and the ghostly reappearance of Father Thomas, back from the dead……

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pqhtafRQYuE/Sf7hb4Pav8I/AAAAAAAAAT8/DH8v_ugsrOw/s400/PDVD_215.jpg[/image]
If you’re a fan of Italian horror, then you will probably place Lucio Fulci third place in your list of the greatest Italian horror film directors, a list that would be headed, of course, by Dario Argento and Mario Bava [in whichever order you wanted them]. Fulci was actually a much more prolific filmmaker than the other two, making films in a wide range of genres before he became typecast somewhat as a horror man, and I wonder if the careless, lazy quality of some of his later films was partly because he had got tired of the genre. After all, he once said, referring to The Shining, that Stanley Kubrick was “too good for horror films”. Still, when he was at his peak in the 70s and the first half of the 80s, he was a very good filmmaker indeed, albeit one, like Mario Bava, who was not appreciated nearly enough in his lifetime. City Of The Living Dead is the second of Fulci’s four ‘zombie’ movies which gained him wide audiences and notoriety throughout the world with their extremely graphic gore, though, out of the four, only Zombie can really be called a ‘zombie’ film; City Of The Living Dead, The Beyond [generally regarded as Fulci’s masterpiece] and House By The Cemetery have their flesh eating corpses in strictly supporting roles.

City Of The Living Dead is usually considered the weakest of the four movies, sandwiched as it is between the pulp fun of Zombie and the surreal delirium of The Beyond, though I would contend that it is still a very striking chiller, extremely atmospheric and at times approaching nightmarish brilliance. It doesn’t make much sense, but it’s not trying to. Reuniting Fulci with Zombie writer Dardano Sacchetti and producer Fabrizio De Angelis, both script and production were rushed, but both writer and director fulfilled their wishes to make a more unusual film than Zombie, a film that was almost non-linear in its construction. It was a major success, especially considering it was made on a very tight budget, and surprisingly was only slightly cut for UK cinemas, with just scene, a drill killing, cut down. The US saw it uncut though retitled Gates Of Hell. Now it is sometimes claimed that City Of The Living Dead was listed as a Video Nasty, but it actually never made the list. The other three Fulci ‘zombie’ chillers were though, so City was often lumped in with them and re-released on video heavily cut, with all the gore missing, though copies of the almost uncut video release floated around for ages, and I remember my joy, as a budding horror fan whose mantra at the time was “the gorier the better”, when I located one in a dodgy Reading second-hand video store!

Even during the early parts of the film, City Of The Living Dead seems like a collection of vaguely linked scenes in search of a plot, or rather a vague hint of a plot an excuse for lots of vaguely linked scenes. Mary sees her vision of the priest hanging himself and a living corpse emerging out of the leaf-filled ground and, after a strange fireball appears and disappears, seemingly dies from shock, which leads to a lengthy section where she is buried alive. Meanwhile in Dunwich glass shatters [and sometimes bleeds]. A wall cracks and either smoke or fog [it’s hard to tell] comes out from it. A cat bites a chunk out of his owner’s psychiatrist. Dead bodies show up and then disappear. A lonely, possibly mentally challenged lad called Bob lives with a rubber doll and the rotting corpse of a baby. Unearthly groans are almost constantly heard, even when nothing is there, and the wind is constantly blowing very hard indeed. Zombies , and sometimes the ghost of the priest, sometimes show up to cause extreme gruesomeness, and these zombies can also teleport and even float. Then again, Dunwich is a really weird place with loads of fog in broad daylight and bizarre geography, including a bar seemingly in the middle of nowhere, yet obviously quite near the row of houses that the camera slowly tracks along, peering in the windows like a character itself.
[image]http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/City-Of-The-Living-Dead-005.jpg[/image]
Yes, I make this movie sound very random, and yet bizarrely everything seems to fit, to have a nightmare logic to it. Fulci said he was trying to make a movie in the manner of Val Lewton [producer of a series of beautifully subtle and haunting chillers in the 1040’s like Cat People], and you may laugh at this when the resulting film is so gory, but there without a doubt a grace and an elegance to parts of the film and even moments of beauty, such as a flower wilting in a grave. Then again, a strong theme of this film seems to be physical disgust, with the zombies looking positively revolting with their pus-oozing, maggot-ridden faces and some truly shocking gore. One person even has their face smeared with viscera. Though the actual scenes of violence are quite few, Fulci really shows his love for playing with his audience, daring them to look and see how far he will go, and turning the violence into a kind of surreal art form. Oddly enough the expected gut munching is not shown, but brains are pulled out of the backs of heads, a girl vomits up her guts [which were entrails from a sheep who had just had its throat cut, because after 10 minutes they would start to dry out and become unusable], and the local sheriff pushes Bob’s face into a large drill, a scene in which Fulci devilishly toys with us by stretching out the suspense as the camera cuts closer and closer to the instrument of death. There’s also a terrific shot of a boy frozen in panic as blood drips into a glass of milk on a table, the camera panning up to the ceiling where we see blood and guts starting to leak from the room above, the room where his parents have just been horribly killed. The cinematography gives us some stunning imagery throughout; look out for an amazing iris shot near the beginning.

With other happenings like an attack by maggots, that lengthy early sequence where Mary is buried alive [which climaxes in a bit of audacious black humour as her rescuer’s pick-axe almost smashes into her face], and a climax involving skeletons, City Of The Living Dead is never short of incident, and yet it has a stately pace. It moves leisurely and refuses to ramp the excitement up much for the climax, yet it never loses it’s odd but compelling atmosphere. This is helped by the collection of weird minor characters like a pair of grave diggers who read dirty magazines while on the job and a mortician who likes to steal from dead, not to mention the unforgettable Bob, though another character’s psychiatric issues seems rather forced and suggests another dimension to the movie which is not followed through. Set against this are the very likeable central couple, with Christopher George and Catherine MacColl having a surprising amount of chemistry as they go on their strange adventure and bicker. When Mary she’s she is hungry, Peter says “there’s a lollipop in the glove compartment”, and I wish the film had given us more scenes with these two. Their acting isn’t perfect but I like these people, as thinly written as they may be.

The effects may seem fake-looking to some in these days of CGI but, unless the CGI is near-perfect [which is rare, but does happen occasionally] I would rather see something hand-made that is really there than something created on a computer which patently isn’t. To me it is often CGI that looks fake, but that may be because it is still a relatively new thing in films and I didn’t grow up with it when I was becoming the film fanatic I am today. Fabio Frizzi’s score mostly consists of the same two or three themes replayed, while the most-used theme resembles a creepier variant on Goblin’s Dawn Of The Dead main theme, but the often tranquil melodies help give the movie considerable elegence and and go very well with Sergio Salvati’s graceful camerawork, which always seems on the verge of taking us to something we just don’t want to see. City Of The Living Dead may not quite be Italian horror cinema at its very best, but it is still a fine example of it and would serve as a great introduction to Italy’s amazing contribution to the genre. Audacious, seemingly random but actually very carefully crafted with half- remembered touches of other sources [Phantasm and the work of H.P.Lovecaft to name but two] but also entirely its own film, it may have been made in a hurry, but paradoxically seems to have been very carefully crafted indeed.....except maybe the confusing ending, which has been a source of debate amongst fans for years!

Rating: 8/10

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (4/5/2012 5:37:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

[image]http://static.freemoviedb.com/imgs/movie_imgs/mid/4bc962fe017a3c57fe02d203/the_gates_of_hell.jpg[/image]
The effects may seem fake-looking to some in these days of CGI but, unless the CGI is near-perfect [which is rare, but does happen occasionally] I would rather see something hand-made that is really there than something created on a computer which patently isn't. To me it is often CGI that looks fake, but that may be because it is still a relatively new thing in films and I didn't grow up with it when I was becoming the film fanatic I am today. Fabio Frizzi's score mostly consists of the same two or three themes replayed, while the most-used theme resembles a creepier variant on Goblin's Dawn Of The Dead main theme, but the often tranquil melodies help give the movie considerable elegence and and go very well with Sergio Salvati's graceful camerawork, which always seems on the verge of taking us to something we just don't want to see. City Of The Living Dead may not quite be Italian horror cinema at its very best, but it is still a fine example of it and would serve as a great introduction to Italy's amazing contribution to the genre. Audacious, seemingly random but actually very carefully crafted with half- remembered touches of other sources [Phantasm and the work of H.P.Lovecaft to name but two] but also entirely its own film, it may have been made in a hurry, but paradoxically seems to have been very carefully crafted indeed.....except maybe the confusing ending, which has been a source of debate amongst fans for years!

Rating: 8/10

Love the review,and like you i find CGI in horror films to be weak,compared to the real blood and guts of films like this.Yes at times the effects can look naff,but when they look real,(and sometimes they are),they are awesome,gut churning fun.A good exsample of how good real gore is is Scott's A L I E N,where they used real pigs blood and guts.But then look at the gore in AvP,need i say more.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (31/5/2012 8:14:51 PM)

Arrow are working on a Special Edition of Zombie Flesh Eaters [sm=w00t.gif][sm=w00t.gif][sm=w00t.gif][sm=w00t.gif]!!!!

More news as I get it [;)]!

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (20/6/2012 7:24:43 PM)

quote:

Arrow are working on a Special Edition of Zombie Flesh Eaters [sm=w00t.gif][sm=w00t.gif][sm=w00t.gif][sm=w00t.gif]!!!!

Blu Ray of course fully uncut???

UTB -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (22/6/2012 9:41:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

quote:

Blu Ray of course fully uncut???

Am wondering this too... or whether to get the Region A BD...

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (2/8/2012 6:28:07 PM)

Arrow have announced that they will release Zombie Flesh Eaters on Blu-ray and DVD on 26th November. Special features include:

- Brand new high definition restoration
- Presented on both High Definition Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR: Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy - ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM: Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) plus many more share memories of the genesis of corpse-crunching cinema - from Romero's early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors
- THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO ROSSI: The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats - and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks - including ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II
- ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS - FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN: Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay
- Trailer and radio spots
- Collector’s booklet featuring contributions from Calum Waddell, Stephen Thrower, Craig Lapper and Jay Slater.
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- More to be announced closer to the time

Also available as a steelbook.

[image]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/srhw1984/ZOMBIE_FE_2D_BD.jpg[/image]

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (3/8/2012 3:23:23 PM)

quote:

Arrow have announced that they will release Zombie Flesh Eaters on Blu-ray and DVD on 26th November. Special features include:

- Brand new high definition restoration
- Presented on both High Definition Blu-ray and Standard Definition DVD
- Optional English SDH subtitles on the feature
- Audio commentary with screenwriter Elisa Briganti moderated by Calum Waddell
- Audio commentary with Fulci biographer Stephen Thrower and horror expert Alan Jones
- UK exclusive introduction to the film from Ian McCulloch
- ALIENS, CANNIBALS AND ZOMBIES: A TRILOGY OF ITALIAN TERROR: Actor Ian McCulloch remembers his three classics of Latin horror lunacy - ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, CONTAMINATION and ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
- FROM ROMERO TO ROME: THE RISE AND FALL OF THE ITALIAN ZOMBIE FILM: Veteran Fulci screenwriters Dardano Sacchetti (THE BEYOND) and Antonio Tentori (CAT IN THE BRAIN), celebrated UK critic Kim Newman and filmmakers Luigi Cozzi (CONTAMINATION), Ruggero Deodato (CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST), Russ Streiner (NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD) plus many more share memories of the genesis of corpse-crunching cinema - from Romero's early templates to the gory glory days of Fulci and his many successors
- THE MEAT MUNCHING MOVIES OF GINO ROSSI: The special effects magician behind many Italian splatter classics talks about his most famous gore-drenched greats - and shows props from many plasma-packed masterworks - including ZOMBIE FLESH-EATERS, CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE HOUSE BY THE CEMETERY, CANNIBAL FEROX, BURIAL GROUND and PIRANHA II
- ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS - FROM SCRIPT TO SCREEN: Dardano Sacchetti shows key pages from his original ISLAND OF THE LIVING DEAD screenplay
- Trailer and radio spots
- Collector's booklet featuring contributions from Calum Waddell, Stephen Thrower, Craig Lapper and Jay Slater.
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- More to be announced closer to the time

Also available as a steelbook.

[image]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h210/srhw1984/ZOMBIE_FE_2D_BD.jpg[/image]

Looks great and i'd love toadd it to my growing Blu-Ray collection,but is it the fully UNCUT version or the cut version.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (3/8/2012 8:07:07 PM)

STRONG UNCUT VERSION Bill [;)]!

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (6/8/2012 7:16:33 PM)

quote:

STRONG UNCUT VERSION Bill [;)]!

[sm=16.gif][sm=evilgrin27.gif][sm=worship.gif]

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (14/10/2012 2:03:56 PM)

Sneak preview of the artwork panels:

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_4.jpg[/image]

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (7/11/2012 9:19:13 PM)

The release date for Zombie Flesh Eaters has been changed to 3rd December.

Mister Coe -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (8/11/2012 12:29:19 AM)

Must ask Santa for this... the first hardcore horror I ever saw, back when VHS was new! Love this film!

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (9/12/2012 2:33:46 PM)

Watched Zombie Flesh Eaters last night. Here's my review:

Reaction
Originally seen as a rip off of George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead - considered to be the greatest zombie movie ever made - Lucio Fulci's film is a completely different beast. For one, it is a relentless, unforgiving piece of horror cinema that grabs you from the opening, in which one of the living dead is gunned down by Richard Johnson's Dr. Menard.

Also, Fulci's zombies are miles away from Romero's pale-faced creations. These zombies are rotting, decayed, utterly hideous and horrifying monsters intent with an appetite for murder in the most graphic fashion. The superstition that surrounds the story presents the message very clearly: body without soul is not life. These creatures tears at flesh in full, gory close-up, even dragging one unfortunate victim's eye through a splinter, a controversial scene that caused a lot of deep concern with the British censors.

Aside from the obvious, and, at time, atrocious, dubbing, which is a must for Italian splatter flicks of the late 70s/early 80s, the cast are excellent. The film is carried by Tisa Farrow, Ian McCulloch and Johnson, whose performances resist the urge to go over the top. Fulci's direction, as always, is expert and precise, not once lacking in ideas and style.

Like The Gates of Hell Trilogy, this too has a bleak ending which leaves it up to the viewer's interpretation, however, the journey to that conclusion is absolutely thrilling.

Overall
A must-see video nasty for fans of horror and all things Fulci. More of a companion piece to Dawn rather than a cash-in copy, and as visually thrilling as Romero's masterpiece.

[image]http://www.empireonline.com/images/stars/small_4.gif[/image]

losthighway -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (9/12/2012 6:36:14 PM)

quote:

Sneak preview of the artwork panels:

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_3.jpg[/image]

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/Kyles%20Stuff%202/ZFE_3D_SLIP_BOX_4.jpg[/image]

These panels are only available in the exclusive Arrow Website slipcase release (ltd to 500 units)... I have one of them. It went for the hand rising cover! [:D]

Mister Coe -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (17/12/2012 2:42:38 AM)

Does anyone know how this differs from all the other supposedly uncut versions? Exactly what does this version add?

Just want to know before I spend my hard earned cash.

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (19/12/2012 8:58:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Does anyone know how this differs from all the other supposedly uncut versions? Exactly what does this version add?

Now if i'm right the version most people have seen is the UK/US cinema release, that made it to VHS then DVD, but the full uncut version was only available on VHS bootleg back in the 80's. More gore and the most important being the splinter of wood that spears a certain woman's eye ball, pop goes the eye, then into the skull, just superb, it's a standard Fulci moment that POPS![;)] up in a few of his classics.

Mister Coe -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (19/12/2012 10:43:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

Now if i'm right the version most people have seen is the UK/US cinema release, that made it to VHS then DVD, but the full uncut version was only available on VHS bootleg back in the 80's. More gore and the most important being the splinter of wood that spears a certain woman's eye ball, pop goes the eye, then into the skull, just superb, it's a standard Fulci moment that POPS![;)] up in a few of his classics.

Hmm... I picked up a DVD version some years back that had every one of my childhood memories on it, including the infamous eyebally-bit! Must rummage through my massivly untidy DVD collection to get further info...

I think the pounds will stay in my pocket for now...

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (21/12/2012 2:24:24 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Hmm... I picked up a DVD version some years back that had every one of my childhood memories on it, including the infamous eyebally-bit! Must rummage through my massivly untidy DVD collection to get further info...

You must have the Blue Underground uncut DVD, which I also have it's region 0, and under the title ZOMBIE, not much in the way of extras but good sound and picture, and it's 92 minutes long .I  just had a look at the Arrow Films Blu-ray it runs at 91, so it could be to do with the way they transfer it to HD or a minute been cut, but they do claim it's uncut.

Discodez -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (21/12/2012 3:21:24 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You must have the Blue Underground uncut DVD, which I also have it's region 0, and under the title ZOMBIE, not much in the way of extras but good sound and picture, and it's 92 minutes long .I  just had a look at the Arrow Films Blu-ray it runs at 91, so it could be to do with the way they transfer it to HD or a minute been cut, but they do claim it's uncut.

Bill, I think it may be down to frame speed differences between NTSC and PAL formats. I have the Anchor Bay DVD which came in the "box of the banned" box set released in 2005. Which is I think I'm right in saying is exactly the same film as the strong uncut version which came out in the 80's (and before the VRA and the films hacking to pieces by the BBFC).

I'm guessing that it's this cut of the film that Arrow have transferred to Blu Ray.

And for some strange reason, I've had the music from this film running though my internal jukebox for a couple of days now, don't no why! [:D]

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (28/12/2012 8:50:10 PM)

quote:

Bill, I think it may be down to frame speed differences between NTSC and PAL formats. I have the Anchor Bay DVD which came in the "box of the banned" box set released in 2005. Which is I think I'm right in saying is exactly the same film as the strong uncut version which came out in the 80's (and before the VRA and the films hacking to pieces by the BBFC).

I'm guessing that it's this cut of the film that Arrow have transferred to Blu Ray.

And for some strange reason, I've had the music from this film running though my internal jukebox for a couple of days now, don't no why! [:D]

I think your right, and love the fact i'm not the only one to have this sound track playing in my head sometimes, though I do have it on CD IE Gobln's greatest soundtracks, which I must dig out and give a spin.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (24/8/2013 4:01:39 PM)

Watched The New York Ripper last night. Here's my review:

Reaction
The history of Lucio Fulci's grisly horror, The New York Ripper, is as notorious as the film itself. During the video nasty era, the film was rejected for a cinema release by BBFC director James Ferman, who ordered all prints to be escorted to the airport and deported from the country. Ever since, it has been a running battle with the censors to allow the film to be shown uncut. As of 2013, it still remains cut, shorn of at least 19 seconds, due to a scene of gruesome sexual violence.

Fulci's thriller is a savage and uncompromising piece of cinema, and probably his most unforgiving film. Bleak from the outset, disturbing and uncomfortable to watch. Even now, in the 21st Century, the gore is shocking. But at the same time, we, the viewer, are unable to look away. Fulci as always excels in delivering the scares, leading his audience into a false sense of security before delivering the fatal.

That's not to say the film is without its faults. The voice of the killer, which resembles Donald Duck, is laughable, and devoids the film of tension at its most important moments. Also, a couple of sequences serve no purpose to the story. There is no need for the "toe rape" scene, nor do we have to know that the professor assisting the police is a homosexual. These points do not move the plot forward, and would have been better left on the cutting room floor. Instead, they drag the pace to a crawl.

Still, The New York Ripper is a fascinating and gripping slice of Italian horror that still divides audiences, and will continue to raise the age old debate about censorship.

Overall
Solid and brutal, but tighter editing and better dubbing would have elevated this to classic Fulci status.

[image]http://www.empireonline.com/images/stars/small_3.gif[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI