RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (17/3/2010 7:13:03 PM)

Official press release:

THE DEFINITIVE DVD AND BLU-RAY RELEASE OF LUCIO FULCI’S ZOMBIE CLASSIC.

One of the most revered zombie films of all time amongst horror fans, Lucio Fulci’s classic City Of The Living Dead gets the full Arrow Video treatment on DVD and Blu-ray in May 2010, presenting the film fully restored and uncut and complete with a host of unique and exclusive extras and featurettes specially commissioned for this must-have release.

Among the many extras are a newly recorded audio commentary with actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice, an introduction to the film by star Carlo De Mejo, ‘Carlo Of The Living Dead’, a 17-minute featurette in which De Mejo reflects upon his time working with the Italian master of splatter, Lucio Fulci, plus ‘Penning Some Paura’ in which the film’s screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti shares his recollections of writing an Italian horror classic.

The 50-minute ‘The Many Lives And Deaths Of Giovanni Lombaro Radice’ presents an extensive biography of the legendary screen victim, who guides viewers through the making of his most famous gut-crunching classics including ‘House On The Edge Of The Park’, ‘Cannibal Apocalypse’, ‘Cannibal Ferox’ and, of course, ‘City of the Living Dead’.

In addition to providing an alternative audio commentary to the main feature, legendary horror actress Catriona MacCall recalls playing the role of Mary in the film in ‘Dame Of The Dead’ and reflects upon the film 30 years on. Catriona also appears alongside Giovanni Lombardo Radice in a 20-minute retrospective Q&A session exclusively filmed live at the Glasgow Film Theatre following a recent special screening of the film.

Filmed in the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome, ‘Profondo Luigi: A Colleague’s Memories Of Lucio Fulci’ focuses on director Luigi Cozzi (Contamination; Starcrash; The Killer Must Kill Again) who talks about his own memories of Lucio Fulci and the Italian boom in zombie horror, while in ‘Fulci’s Daughter: Memories of the Italian Gore Maestro’, Antonella Fulci, the daughter of the legendary filmmaker, reflects upon ‘City Of The Living Dead’, the experience of visiting her father’s sets and about his enduring legacy.

Both the DVD and the Blu-ray releases of ‘City Of The Living Dead’ also come with four sleeve artwork options, double-sided poster, six postcards and a newly commissioned booklet, ‘Fulci Of The Living Dead’, written by Calum Waddell and featuring exclusive new interviews with Sergio Stivaletti (Wax Mask), Carlo De Mejo, Antonella Fulci and Ian McCulloch (Zombie Flesh Eaters) among others, providing an in depth career retrospective on the Grand Old Man of Italian Gore.

Directed by Lucio Fulci (The House By The Cemetery; The Beyond; Zombie Flesh Eaters) and starring Christopher George (Mortuary; The Exterminator; Grizzly), Catriona MacColl (The House By The Cemetery; The Beyond), Carlo De Mejo (The House By The Cemetery; Alien Contamination), Giovanni Lombardo Radice (Cannibal Apocalypse; Demons 3 and 4) and Michele Soavi (Demons; Phenomena; Tenebrae), City Of The Living Dead begins with the suicide of a priest in a church cemetery in the small town of Dunwich, New England. A sacrilegious act, the priest’s death mysteriously results in the opening of the gates of hell and, as fate would have it, it falls upon a reporter, a young psychic, a psychiatrist and his patient to team up and find a way to close the portal before All Saints Day, when the dead will rise and feed upon the living.

A hugely influential and much-admired work of horror cinema by one of the genre’s undisputed masters, City Of The Living Dead, taken purely as a stand-alone film, is a must-see horror classic. Now, this definitive special release from Arrow Video is, without doubt, a must-have for every horror fan.

City Of The Living Dead (cert. 18) will be released a two-disc DVD (£17.99) and single-disc Blu-ray (£22.99) by Arrow Video on 24th May 2010.

Special Features include: newly recorded audio commentary by actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice; audio commentary by actress Catriona MacColl and author Jay Slater; introduction to the film by star Carlo De Mejo; ‘Carlo Of The Living Dead featurette; ‘The Many Lives And Deaths Of Giovanni Lombardo Radice’ featurette; ‘Dame Of The Dead’ featurette; ‘Fulci’s Daughter: Memories Of The Italian Gore Maestro’ featurette; ‘Penning Some Paura’ featurette; ‘Profondo Luigi: A Colleague’s Memories Of Lucio Fulci’ featurette; Catriona MacCall and Giovanni Lombardo Radice Q&A session at the Glasgow Film Theatre; ‘Fulci In The House – The Italian Master Of Splatter’ featurette.

UK exclusive features directed by Calum Waddell and edited and produced by Naomi Holwill with associate producer Nick Frame.

[image]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/The_Associates/Cityexploded-1small.jpg[/image]

dj vivace -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (17/3/2010 7:47:40 PM)

Holy cow!!! Thats one hell of a boxset!!!!!

Dr Lenera -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (17/3/2010 8:04:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Official press release:

THE DEFINITIVE DVD AND BLU-RAY RELEASE OF LUCIO FULCI’S ZOMBIE CLASSIC.

One of the most revered zombie films of all time amongst horror fans, Lucio Fulci’s classic City Of The Living Dead gets the full Arrow Video treatment on DVD and Blu-ray in May 2010, presenting the film fully restored and uncut and complete with a host of unique and exclusive extras and featurettes specially commissioned for this must-have release.

Among the many extras are a newly recorded audio commentary with actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice, an introduction to the film by star Carlo De Mejo, ‘Carlo Of The Living Dead’, a 17-minute featurette in which De Mejo reflects upon his time working with the Italian master of splatter, Lucio Fulci, plus ‘Penning Some Paura’ in which the film’s screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti shares his recollections of writing an Italian horror classic.

The 50-minute ‘The Many Lives And Deaths Of Giovanni Lombaro Radice’ presents an extensive biography of the legendary screen victim, who guides viewers through the making of his most famous gut-crunching classics including ‘House On The Edge Of The Park’, ‘Cannibal Apocalypse’, ‘Cannibal Ferox’ and, of course, ‘City of the Living Dead’.

In addition to providing an alternative audio commentary to the main feature, legendary horror actress Catriona MacCall recalls playing the role of Mary in the film in ‘Dame Of The Dead’ and reflects upon the film 30 years on. Catriona also appears alongside Giovanni Lombardo Radice in a 20-minute retrospective Q&A session exclusively filmed live at the Glasgow Film Theatre following a recent special screening of the film.

Filmed in the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome, ‘Profondo Luigi: A Colleague’s Memories Of Lucio Fulci’ focuses on director Luigi Cozzi (Contamination; Starcrash; The Killer Must Kill Again) who talks about his own memories of Lucio Fulci and the Italian boom in zombie horror, while in ‘Fulci’s Daughter: Memories of the Italian Gore Maestro’, Antonella Fulci, the daughter of the legendary filmmaker, reflects upon ‘City Of The Living Dead’, the experience of visiting her father’s sets and about his enduring legacy.

Both the DVD and the Blu-ray releases of ‘City Of The Living Dead’ also come with four sleeve artwork options, double-sided poster, six postcards and a newly commissioned booklet, ‘Fulci Of The Living Dead’, written by Calum Waddell and featuring exclusive new interviews with Sergio Stivaletti (Wax Mask), Carlo De Mejo, Antonella Fulci and Ian McCulloch (Zombie Flesh Eaters) among others, providing an in depth career retrospective on the Grand Old Man of Italian Gore.

Directed by Lucio Fulci (The House By The Cemetery; The Beyond; Zombie Flesh Eaters) and starring Christopher George (Mortuary; The Exterminator; Grizzly), Catriona MacColl (The House By The Cemetery; The Beyond), Carlo De Mejo (The House By The Cemetery; Alien Contamination), Giovanni Lombardo Radice (Cannibal Apocalypse; Demons 3 and 4) and Michele Soavi (Demons; Phenomena; Tenebrae), City Of The Living Dead begins with the suicide of a priest in a church cemetery in the small town of Dunwich, New England. A sacrilegious act, the priest’s death mysteriously results in the opening of the gates of hell and, as fate would have it, it falls upon a reporter, a young psychic, a psychiatrist and his patient to team up and find a way to close the portal before All Saints Day, when the dead will rise and feed upon the living.

A hugely influential and much-admired work of horror cinema by one of the genre’s undisputed masters, City Of The Living Dead, taken purely as a stand-alone film, is a must-see horror classic. Now, this definitive special release from Arrow Video is, without doubt, a must-have for every horror fan.

City Of The Living Dead (cert. 18) will be released a two-disc DVD (£17.99) and single-disc Blu-ray (£22.99) by Arrow Video on 24th May 2010.

Special Features include: newly recorded audio commentary by actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice; audio commentary by actress Catriona MacColl and author Jay Slater; introduction to the film by star Carlo De Mejo; ‘Carlo Of The Living Dead featurette; ‘The Many Lives And Deaths Of Giovanni Lombardo Radice’ featurette; ‘Dame Of The Dead’ featurette; ‘Fulci’s Daughter: Memories Of The Italian Gore Maestro’ featurette; ‘Penning Some Paura’ featurette; ‘Profondo Luigi: A Colleague’s Memories Of Lucio Fulci’ featurette; Catriona MacCall and Giovanni Lombardo Radice Q&A session at the Glasgow Film Theatre; ‘Fulci In The House – The Italian Master Of Splatter’ featurette.

UK exclusive features directed by Calum Waddell and edited and produced by Naomi Holwill with associate producer Nick Frame.

[image]http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/The_Associates/Cityexploded-1small.jpg[/image]

OMG I'm gonna have to get myself that, I'm very fond of the film and my dvd of it just has a trailer!

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (18/3/2010 6:16:18 PM)

quote:

Now this would make buying a Blu Ray player worth while,i must have this one,like Dr Lenera,it just is ye old plain Region 1,though it is uncut.

Lloyd_Christmas -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (7/4/2010 7:45:10 AM)

I have only seen Zombi 2, but I have The Beyond and The New York Ripper and can't wait to watch them.

Any other Fulci films I need to check out?

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (8/4/2010 8:46:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lloyd_Christmas

I have only seen Zombi 2, but I have The Beyond and The New York Ripper and can't wait to watch them.

Any other Fulci films I need to check out?

How about:
[image]http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8577/blackcat81.jpg[/image] [image]http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/6984/51r8bqyqn3lss500.jpg[/image] [image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/ST2ARHl8CvI/AAAAAAAAEV0/4dkEa9qY_O0/s400/duckling+dvd.jpg[/image]
[image]http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6921/lizarddvd.jpg[/image][image]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/599/ldeaddr0.jpg[/image] [image]http://www.papermag.com/blogs/cat_brain_dvd_ss_01.gif[/image][image]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/8009/dvdcoverhousebythecemetmk0.jpg[/image]

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (23/5/2010 2:03:53 PM)

Last night, I watched City of the Living Dead for the first time EVER! Here's my review:

Reaction
Lucio Fulci begins his famous Gates of Hell Trilogy with this tale of the dead rising from the graves to wreck horror upon mankind, and he pulls no punches. A woman pukes her guts out literally, eyes bleed, heads are drilled, and zombies rip through skulls and pull out brains, all in gory and gross close-up.

However, this isn't an all-out gorefest. It's a fascinating chiller with expert direction and super visuals. Each scene is disjointed and is essential to the nightmarish dream-like quality of the film. The atmosphere throughout is intense, with superb art direction, and wonderful cinematography from Sergio Salvati.

Excusing the sometimes woeful dubbing, the film is held together by strong performances from Catriona MacColl, Carlo De Mejo and Christopher George. Surprisingly, the film is quietly stolen by Fabrizio Jovine as the priest whose suicidal act brings about the impending Apocalypse. With no dialogue, Jovine conveys genuine terror through his calm facial expressions.

The horror continues well into its fiery climax, and is sure to leave the viewer totally disturbed, yet amazed at what they just saw over 90 minutes.

Overall
With a bizarre ending that still causes debate, City of the Living Dead is an excellent introduction to all things Fulci, as well as being a brilliant opener to the legendary director's epic undead saga.

[image]http://www.empireonline.com/images/stars/small_4.gif[/image]

HughesRoss -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (23/5/2010 4:48:30 PM)

Great review Paul......have not seen this one myself, but very interested now[:D]

dj vivace -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (23/5/2010 6:55:28 PM)

quote:

Last night, I watched City of the Living Dead for the first time EVER! Here's my review:

Reaction
Lucio Fulci begins his famous Gates of Hell Trilogy with this tale of the dead rising from the graves to wreck horror upon mankind, and he pulls no punches. A woman pukes her guts out literally, eyes bleed, heads are drilled, and zombies rip through skulls and pull out brains, all in gory and gross close-up.

However, this isn't an all-out gorefest. It's a fascinating chiller with expert direction and super visuals. Each scene is disjointed and is essential to the nightmarish dream-like quality of the film. The atmosphere throughout is intense, with superb art direction, and wonderful cinematography from Sergio Salvati.

Excusing the sometimes woeful dubbing, the film is held together by strong performances from Catriona MacColl, Carlo De Mejo and Christopher George. Surprisingly, the film is quietly stolen by Fabrizio Jovine as the priest whose suicidal act brings about the impending Apocalypse. With no dialogue, Jovine conveys genuine terror through his calm facial expressions.

The horror continues well into its fiery climax, and is sure to leave the viewer totally disturbed, yet amazed at what they just saw over 90 minutes.

Overall
With a bizarre ending that still causes debate, City of the Living Dead is an excellent introduction to all things Fulci, as well as being a brilliant opener to the legendary director's epic undead saga.

I must say i did very much enjoy this film, and i really must get round to having the Gates of Hell trilogy in my collection. Great review mate

Dr Lenera -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (23/5/2010 9:39:34 PM)

quote:

Reaction

Overall

Nice one, agree with everything you said here!  I was gonna review this myself as I have the 2 discer on the way [I've had a single R1 disc for years, but had to get this new version] and it should be with me soon, o well, there can never be too many Fulci reviews!

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (24/5/2010 9:07:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

quote:

Reaction

Overall

Nice one, agree with everything you said here!  I was gonna review this myself as I have the 2 discer on the way [I've had a single R1 disc for years, but had to get this new version] and it should be with me soon, o well, there can never be too many Fulci reviews!

Great review Paul,and yes as the Dr said totally agree with every word,and now tempted to replace ye old 1 disc DVD R! with this.[;)][:D]And now i have  a Blu Ray player[:)] it's a must have i thinks,along with the other two from this classic trilogy.

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (1/6/2010 9:12:59 PM)

Dr Lenera did a review of this not long ago so here's my thoughts on this classic.
DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING 1972

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/ST2ARHl8CvI/AAAAAAAAEV0/4dkEa9qY_O0/s400/duckling+dvd.jpg[/image]
A reporter and a promiscuous young woman try to solve a series of child killings in a remote southern Italian town that's rife with superstition and distrust of outsiders. Lucio Fulci's  Don't Torture A Duckling is a superb little giallo. It concerns a small, backwards Italian village shattered by a trio of savage child murders. Fulci uses this storyline as a springboard for social commentary concerning the devestating effects of crime on a sensitive and simple-minded populace and also a stab at religious zealots.It features a haunting score, beautiful cinematography, a gripping storyline that  paints an exceptionally unflattering portrait of small-town Sicily plagued by series of brutal murders of young boys.This well-directed film has an overall atmosphere of perversity,nastiness and two truly grotesque scenes of brutal violence. Fulci's direction is a breath of fresh air compared to static and sluggishly filmed American mysteries, as his mobile camera always keeps one's interest and dazzles the eye, even in the most mundane of scenes.The soon to be dead children are depicted as casually cruel and budding peeping toms;Bruno's near-seduction by the naked Patrizia(Barbara Bouchet)really has to be seen to be believed.There's none of the big gore effects but the violence is brutal,as we see Fulci in top form as a director who is able to weave a unique and controversial tale with style and audacity.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (2/6/2010 8:05:53 PM)

Just wanted to say I watched City of the Dead on BR and loved it!

Where should I go from there? I have New York Ripper (From Shameless) but beyond that I'm not sure...

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (3/6/2010 6:50:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Just wanted to say I watched City of the Dead on BR and loved it!

Where should I go from there? I have New York Ripper (From Shameless) but beyond that I'm not sure...

Keep to the Gates Of Hell trilogy,IE; City Of The Dead,The Beyond and House By The Cemetery you just can't get much better than these films.And enjoy New York Ripper,i hope it's the full uncut version you have,that way you will see why it was banned and the master copy escorted out of the UK.

Dr Lenera -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (3/6/2010 8:28:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Dr Lenera did a review of this not long ago so here's my thoughts on this classic.
DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING 1972

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_v0fV15P7uQo/ST2ARHl8CvI/AAAAAAAAEV0/4dkEa9qY_O0/s400/duckling+dvd.jpg[/image]
A reporter and a promiscuous young woman try to solve a series of child killings in a remote southern Italian town that's rife with superstition and distrust of outsiders. Lucio Fulci's  Don't Torture A Duckling is a superb little giallo. It concerns a small, backwards Italian village shattered by a trio of savage child murders. Fulci uses this storyline as a springboard for social commentary concerning the devestating effects of crime on a sensitive and simple-minded populace and also a stab at religious zealots.It features a haunting score, beautiful cinematography, a gripping storyline that  paints an exceptionally unflattering portrait of small-town Sicily plagued by series of brutal murders of young boys.This well-directed film has an overall atmosphere of perversity,nastiness and two truly grotesque scenes of brutal violence. Fulci's direction is a breath of fresh air compared to static and sluggishly filmed American mysteries, as his mobile camera always keeps one's interest and dazzles the eye, even in the most mundane of scenes.The soon to be dead children are depicted as casually cruel and budding peeping toms;Bruno's near-seduction by the naked Patrizia(Barbara Bouchet)really has to be seen to be believed.There's none of the big gore effects but the violence is brutal,as we see Fulci in top form as a director who is able to weave a unique and controversial tale with style and audacity.

I reckon this is Fulci's best movie [though I've still a fair few obscurities to see] after the three early 80s zombie classics, do you agree?  The chain whip scene is simply astonishing, absolutely brilliant film making. 

Dr Lenera -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (3/6/2010 8:31:32 PM)

quote:

Official press release:

THE DEFINITIVE DVD AND BLU-RAY RELEASE OF LUCIO FULCI'S ZOMBIE CLASSIC.

One of the most revered zombie films of all time amongst horror fans, Lucio Fulci's classic City Of The Living Dead gets the full Arrow Video treatment on DVD and Blu-ray in May 2010, presenting the film fully restored and uncut and complete with a host of unique and exclusive extras and featurettes specially commissioned for this must-have release.

Among the many extras are a newly recorded audio commentary with actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice, an introduction to the film by star Carlo De Mejo, 'Carlo Of The Living Dead', a 17-minute featurette in which De Mejo reflects upon his time working with the Italian master of splatter, Lucio Fulci, plus 'Penning Some Paura' in which the film's screenwriter Dardano Sacchetti shares his recollections of writing an Italian horror classic.

The 50-minute 'The Many Lives And Deaths Of Giovanni Lombaro Radice' presents an extensive biography of the legendary screen victim, who guides viewers through the making of his most famous gut-crunching classics including 'House On The Edge Of The Park', 'Cannibal Apocalypse', 'Cannibal Ferox' and, of course, 'City of the Living Dead'.

In addition to providing an alternative audio commentary to the main feature, legendary horror actress Catriona MacCall recalls playing the role of Mary in the film in 'Dame Of The Dead' and reflects upon the film 30 years on. Catriona also appears alongside Giovanni Lombardo Radice in a 20-minute retrospective Q&A session exclusively filmed live at the Glasgow Film Theatre following a recent special screening of the film.

Filmed in the Profondo Rosso shop in Rome, 'Profondo Luigi: A Colleague's Memories Of Lucio Fulci' focuses on director Luigi Cozzi (Contamination; Starcrash; The Killer Must Kill Again) who talks about his own memories of Lucio Fulci and the Italian boom in zombie horror, while in 'Fulci's Daughter: Memories of the Italian Gore Maestro', Antonella Fulci, the daughter of the legendary filmmaker, reflects upon 'City Of The Living Dead', the experience of visiting her father's sets and about his enduring legacy.

Both the DVD and the Blu-ray releases of 'City Of The Living Dead' also come with four sleeve artwork options, double-sided poster, six postcards and a newly commissioned booklet, 'Fulci Of The Living Dead', written by Calum Waddell and featuring exclusive new interviews with Sergio Stivaletti (Wax Mask), Carlo De Mejo, Antonella Fulci and Ian McCulloch (Zombie Flesh Eaters) among others, providing an in depth career retrospective on the Grand Old Man of Italian Gore.

Directed by Lucio Fulci (The House By The Cemetery; The Beyond; Zombie Flesh Eaters) and starring Christopher George (Mortuary; The Exterminator; Grizzly), Catriona MacColl (The House By The Cemetery; The Beyond), Carlo De Mejo (The House By The Cemetery; Alien Contamination), Giovanni Lombardo Radice (Cannibal Apocalypse; Demons 3 and 4) and Michele Soavi (Demons; Phenomena; Tenebrae), City Of The Living Dead begins with the suicide of a priest in a church cemetery in the small town of Dunwich, New England. A sacrilegious act, the priest's death mysteriously results in the opening of the gates of hell and, as fate would have it, it falls upon a reporter, a young psychic, a psychiatrist and his patient to team up and find a way to close the portal before All Saints Day, when the dead will rise and feed upon the living.

A hugely influential and much-admired work of horror cinema by one of the genre's undisputed masters, City Of The Living Dead, taken purely as a stand-alone film, is a must-see horror classic. Now, this definitive special release from Arrow Video is, without doubt, a must-have for every horror fan.

Special Features include: newly recorded audio commentary by actor Giovanni Lombardo Radice; audio commentary by actress Catriona MacColl and author Jay Slater; introduction to the film by star Carlo De Mejo; 'Carlo Of The Living Dead featurette; 'The Many Lives And Deaths Of Giovanni Lombardo Radice' featurette; 'Dame Of The Dead' featurette; 'Fulci's Daughter: Memories Of The Italian Gore Maestro' featurette; 'Penning Some Paura' featurette; 'Profondo Luigi: A Colleague's Memories Of Lucio Fulci' featurette; Catriona MacCall and Giovanni Lombardo Radice Q&A session at the Glasgow Film Theatre; 'Fulci In The House – The Italian Master Of Splatter' featurette.

This set is simply brilliant, just watched the interview with Fulci's daughter which is fascinating, can't wait to hear the commentaries!   Of course the film looks and sounds terrific, it always used to look quite poor in my opinion.

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (11/10/2010 8:09:43 PM)

NEW YORK RIPPER 1982
[image]http://www.sb-films.com/NewYorkRipper.jpg[/image]
A burned-out New York police detective teams up with a college psychoanalyst to track down a vicious serial killer,who talks like a duck wanders around New York City killing women by various means including slicing an eyeball with a razorblade. [image]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6460/newyork5z.jpg[/image]

Possibly the nastiest and most vicious of all of Lucio Fulci's movies, this sadistic giallo not only features some truly unsettling scenes of explicit gore, but also manages to tell a rather involving and immoral tale that perfectly captures the sleazy vibe of New York in the early 80s.Banned in Britain the rights were purchased by UK company Vipco who issued the film originally as an export-only VHS version under close censor & police supervision. When censorship laws were relaxed in the UK it was submitted to the BBFC for a certificate in 2002 and received 22 secs of cuts to the razor-blade murder, as well as a strict guideline that the film could only be released with minimal publicity.This is how disturbing the censors see this movie,and i doubt if it will ever be released with out some cuts.Complete with umpteen raunchy sex scenes (including bondage and a 42nd Street live sex-show),a woman being toe raped(i kid you not), razor blade eyeball mutilation and nipple slashing, a broken bottle attack in the vagina, and numerous stabbings and slicing with a nasty stiletto blade, The New York Ripper should satisfy even the most hardened of gore-hound's blood-lust.This was a true 80's Video Nasty,that is still talked about to this day,and the poor censors just love to hate.Admittedly, the pace is occasionally a little slow, but with all of the gratuitous gore and nudity, and a crazy villain who talks like a duck, it's easy to forgive the Master of Gore Fulci. Luigi Kuveiller who did the cinematography for Argento's Deep Red,also worked on this one,and two of the writers of Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling,which is way it should have been a better script,and more original.Many of the film's contents have many similarities with Maniac(1980) which gained controversy for identical reasons.And it's the realistic look of the extreme violence that got both movies banned,but Ripper is far darker,far more brutal,and not to be viewed by those that are easily offended.Not Fulci's best but his most extreme Slasher/Gallio that deserves to be released uncut,maybe on Blu Ray who knows.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (11/10/2010 8:14:10 PM)

quote:

NEW YORK RIPPER 1982
A burned-out New York police detective teams up with a college psychoanalyst to track down a vicious serial killer,who talks like a duck wanders around New York City killing women by various means including slicing an eyeball with a razorblade. [image]http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6460/newyork5z.jpg[/image]

Possibly the nastiest and most vicious of all of Lucio Fulci's movies, this sadistic giallo not only features some truly unsettling scenes of explicit gore, but also manages to tell a rather involving and immoral tale that perfectly captures the sleazy vibe of New York in the early 80s.Banned in Britain the rights were purchased by UK company Vipco who issued the film originally as an export-only VHS version under close censor & police supervision. When censorship laws were relaxed in the UK it was submitted to the BBFC for a certificate in 2002 and received 22 secs of cuts to the razor-blade murder, as well as a strict guideline that the film could only be released with minimal publicity.This is how disturbing the censors see this movie,and i doubt if it will ever be released with out some cuts.Complete with umpteen raunchy sex scenes (including bondage and a 42nd Street live sex-show),a woman being toe raped(i kid you not), razor blade eyeball mutilation and nipple slashing, a broken bottle attack in the vagina, and numerous stabbings and slicing with a nasty stiletto blade, The New York Ripper should satisfy even the most hardened of gore-hound's blood-lust.This was a true 80's Video Nasty,that is still talked about to this day,and the poor censors just love to hate.Admittedly, the pace is occasionally a little slow, but with all of the gratuitous gore and nudity, and a crazy villain who talks like a duck, it's easy to forgive the Master of Gore Fulci. Luigi Kuveiller who did the cinematography for Argento's Deep Red,also worked on this one,and two of the writers of Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling,which is way it should have been a better script,and more original.Many of the film's contents have many similarities with Maniac(1980) which gained controversy for identical reasons.And it's the realistic look of the extreme violence that got both movies banned,but Ripper is far darker,far more brutal,and not to be viewed by those that are easily offended.Not Fulci's best but his most extreme Slasher/Gallio that deserves to be released uncut,maybe on Blu Ray who knows.

This is being re-released by Shameless as part of a boxset, and they are considering if they should try and get it out uncut.

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (11/10/2010 8:25:47 PM)

quote:

This is being re-released by Shameless as part of a boxset, and they are considering if they should try and get it out uncut.

Thanks for the news,maybe you could get your friends at Cult Labs to get Arrow to go for a Blu Ray release like we know they can do.[;)][:D]

dj vivace -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (12/10/2010 10:52:39 AM)

quote:

NEW YORK RIPPER 1982

Nice review mate, and yes this is a true video nasty, really vicious [:)] The only complaint i had was the Donald Duck voice, i just couldn't buy into it at all and it kind of took away some of the shock levels for me, but i'm sure Fulci had his reasons for it

Sledge Hammer -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (12/10/2010 12:42:40 PM)

Why, in a Fulci thread is no one discussing Zombie Flesh Eaters, the most famous of his movies.

It had a zombie vs shark fight in it and it doesnt come more awesome than that!

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (12/10/2010 4:13:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

Why, in a Fulci thread is no one discussing Zombie Flesh Eaters, the most famous of his movies.

It had a zombie vs shark fight in it and it doesnt come more awesome than that!

It has been talked about on another thread and reviewed here,and here it is again.
ZOMBIE 2(Zombie Flesh Eaters)  1979
[image]http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/1554/51bsz3t9e3lss500ga7.jpg[/image]
A sail boat arrives in New York Harbor with only a flesh eating Zombie on board,it belongs to a famous scientist who's daughter lives in the city.She hears of the sail boat and with a journalist friend sets out to find her father,who she left on an island of Mutual.They enlist the help of some friends and travel to the island where they find Dr Menard,who is trying to find the cause of a disease that brings the dead back to life.Slowly the island people are being devoured by the zombies and becoming part of the zombie army that is taking over the island.
[image]http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/8364/zombi21ga7.jpg[/image]
This is one brilliant Zombie movie,with very dark humor,like the zombie attacking the shark underwater,what a standout moment in cinema.And of course some lashing of sex and of course violence,and it's visuals are creepy and yet in full sunshine,it's gore is for the hardened horror fan only.Yet it is so well made it should be seen by all horror fans,it was one of the true video nasties,it had the censor reaching for the Valium and the scissors.It was called Zombie 2 to cash in on Argentos re-cut of Romeros Dawn Of The Dead,which under Argentos name in Italy was called Zombie.It's original title was Zombie Island,but Fulci added a new beginning and ending to cash in on it,and  finally get the fame he deserved.But it is noting Dawn,and Argento did not object to Lucio jumping on the band wagon even though they where rivals in Italian horror.In true both helped each other out from time to time and took no credit for it,i suspect Argento more than encouraged Fulci to rename his movie and do a re-cut.It's probably the most commercial of his movies but it still caused problems,like the eye popping with a splinter of wood,cut from the UK cinema release,but now returned in all it's glory.
[image]http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/949/zombi22zv9.jpg[/image]
There was plenty of flesh riping and female nudity to keep any horror fan happy,the dead coming out of the earth from there shallow graves.The corpse's in this one are some of the most roted dead you'll ever see you can nearly smell them.And yet it's not the most shocking he's ever done,but it still has the Fulci style,those moments of hypnotic suspense,where you knew you should turn away.But you are caught in his trap, he got you again in his grasp and delivered the shocks,and the ending was pure Italian dark no joy,no escaping the nightmare it was coming to your doorstep.This was the first ever Italian horror i ever saw,then titled Zombie Flesh Eaters on ye old VHS,and totally amazed me back then,at it's realistic gore.Now on remastered DVD it's even better and has stood the test of time to be called a cult classic zombie movie.Watch it at your peril.

Dr Lenera -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (12/10/2010 6:47:12 PM)

quote:

NEW YORK RIPPER 1982

Nice review and a couple of facts even big Fulci fan Me didn't know!

Think I will go over and try and improve my own Fulci reviews before posting them on Bat's site-is a good oppurtunity to do so.

Discodez -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (15/10/2010 2:18:54 PM)

Just so people know, the Shameless version of New York Ripper has been cut..

I actually got the full restored version on region 2 DVD  but it's a Scandinavian issue from AWE, not that that's a problem you just turn of the subtitles..

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (2/11/2010 11:40:51 AM)

Shameless are releasing New York Ripper again next February, next time on Blu-ray and DVD with an HD transfer, and both will contain lots of special features. Hope for an uncut release this time!

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (22/12/2010 2:36:43 PM)

Official press release:

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/FCD497-TheBeyond_BR_slip-72dpi.jpg[/image]

Only death awaits in The Beyond!

Lucio Fulci’s masterpiece of face chewing Spider action, milky eyed psychics, face melting embalming fluid and rotted, flesh-crazed Zombies returns in all its blood splattered, surreal and grossly disturbing glory for a new generation of Horror Kids!

If your new business venture is sited on the cursed gateway to the hell dimension of The Beyond, then maybe it’s time to move elsewhere but Liza (Catriona MacColl) is determined to make her New Orleans hotel work, until strange things start happening, people vanish and her waking thoughts are haunted by a ghostly blind woman who seems to hold the answers to the whole bizarre fever-dream. As reality breaks down and the plot explodes, Liza must journey far from everything she understands and descend in The Beyond...

The Beyond is Fulci’s Zombie masterwork as he assaults his audience with shock after head spinning shock, all the while leading up to one of horror cinemas most heart stopping finales. The Beyond drives sane men mad and leads others to murder. Dare you step over to the other side?

THIS AMAZING EDITION CONTAINS:

• 4 option reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
  • Double-sided fold-out poster
  • Collector’s booklet featuring an introduction to the film by Eli Roth, director of ‘Cabin Fever’, ‘Hostel’ and ‘Hostel Part II’, ‘Beyond Bombast’ and an interview with Al Cliver by author and critic Calum Waddell as well as reprints of original Lobby Cards, stills and behind the scenes photographs from the collection of star David Warbeck
  • Brand new HD restoration of the feature presented completely uncut

DISC 1 SPECIAL FEATURES:

• Introduction by star Cinzia Monreale
  • Audio Commentary with Antonella Fulci and Calum Waddell
  • Audio Commentary with David Warbeck and Catriona MacColl
  • AKA Sarah Keller: Cinzia Monreale remembers ‘The Beyond’
  • Catriona MacColl Q&A from the Glasgow Film Theatre
  • Open Your Eyes Easter Egg

DISC 2 SPECIAL FEATURES:

• One Step Beyond: Catriona MacColl Remembers a Spaghetti Splatter Classic
  • Beyond Italy – Louis Fuller and the Seven Doors of Death: Interview with US distributor and editor of ‘The Beyond’ Terry Levene
  • Butcher, Baker and Zombiemaker: The Living Dead Legacy of special effects wizard Gianetto Di Rossi
  • Fulci Flashbacks: Dario Argento, Daria Nicolodi, Sergio Stivaletti, Antonella Fulci and others remember The Godfather of Gore
  • Alternative colour pre-credits sequence
  • Original International Trailer

Original Art by Rick Melton - stunninglysavage.com

In original aspect Ratio 2.35:1 (16x9) anamorphic with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (on the Blu-ray), English 5.1 Dolby Digital (on the DVD) and original English and Italian mono audio options (on DVD and Blu-ray)

Blu-ray running time 88 mins

DVD running time 84 mins

DISC 1 - Blu-ray, region free (ABC), DVD DISC 1 PAL DVD, region 0

DISC 2 - PAL DVD, region 0

Blu-ray Disc 1 - Feature and all extras 1080p

Blu-ray RRP £24.99

DVD RRP £19.99

Release date 14th February 2011

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (22/12/2010 5:30:00 PM)

quote:

Official press release:

[image]http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/samueljones1/FCD497-TheBeyond_BR_slip-72dpi.jpg[/image]

Only death awaits in The Beyond!

Lucio Fulci's masterpiece of face chewing Spider action, milky eyed psychics, face melting embalming fluid and rotted, flesh-crazed Zombies returns in all its blood splattered, surreal and grossly disturbing glory for a new generation of Horror Kids!

If your new business venture is sited on the cursed gateway to the hell dimension of The Beyond, then maybe it's time to move elsewhere but Liza (Catriona MacColl) is determined to make her New Orleans hotel work, until strange things start happening, people vanish and her waking thoughts are haunted by a ghostly blind woman who seems to hold the answers to the whole bizarre fever-dream. As reality breaks down and the plot explodes, Liza must journey far from everything she understands and descend in The Beyond...

The Beyond is Fulci's Zombie masterwork as he assaults his audience with shock after head spinning shock, all the while leading up to one of horror cinemas most heart stopping finales. The Beyond drives sane men mad and leads others to murder. Dare you step over to the other side?

THIS AMAZING EDITION CONTAINS:
  • 4 option reversible sleeve with original and newly commissioned artwork
  • Double-sided fold-out poster
  • Collector's booklet featuring an introduction to the film by Eli Roth, director of 'Cabin Fever', 'Hostel' and 'Hostel Part II', 'Beyond Bombast' and an interview with Al Cliver by author and critic Calum Waddell as well as reprints of original Lobby Cards, stills and behind the scenes photographs from the collection of star David Warbeck
  • Brand new HD restoration of the feature presented completely uncut

DISC 1 SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Introduction by star Cinzia Monreale
  • Audio Commentary with Antonella Fulci and Calum Waddell
  • Audio Commentary with David Warbeck and Catriona MacColl
  • AKA Sarah Keller: Cinzia Monreale remembers 'The Beyond'
  • Catriona MacColl Q&A from the Glasgow Film Theatre
  • Open Your Eyes Easter Egg

DISC 2 SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • One Step Beyond: Catriona MacColl Remembers a Spaghetti Splatter Classic
  • Beyond Italy – Louis Fuller and the Seven Doors of Death: Interview with US distributor and editor of 'The Beyond' Terry Levene
  • Butcher, Baker and Zombiemaker: The Living Dead Legacy of special effects wizard Gianetto Di Rossi
  • Fulci Flashbacks: Dario Argento, Daria Nicolodi, Sergio Stivaletti, Antonella Fulci and others remember The Godfather of Gore
  • Alternative colour pre-credits sequence
  • Original International Trailer

Original Art by Rick Melton - stunninglysavage.com

In original aspect Ratio 2.35:1 (16x9) anamorphic with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio (on the Blu-ray), English 5.1 Dolby Digital (on the DVD) and original English and Italian mono audio options (on DVD and Blu-ray)

Blu-ray running time 88 mins

DVD running time 84 mins

DISC 1 - Blu-ray, region free (ABC), DVD DISC 1 PAL DVD, region 0

DISC 2 - PAL DVD, region 0

Blu-ray Disc 1 - Feature and all extras 1080p

Blu-ray RRP £24.99

DVD RRP £19.99

Release date 14th February 2011

If i buy this one it will make four copies of my favorite of Lucio Fulci movies,and as far as i'm concerned the best Zombie movie of them all.

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (4/1/2011 7:43:46 PM)

New York Ripper has been resubmitted, but it's not going to be released uncut. However, 3 minutes and 15 seconds of footage not found on the Shameless DVD and Blue Underground Blu-ray editions will be inserted into the film.

evil bill -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (4/1/2011 8:15:54 PM)

quote:

New York Ripper has been resubmitted, but it's not going to be released uncut. However, 3 minutes and 15 seconds of footage not found on the Shameless DVD and Blue Underground Blu-ray editions will be inserted into the film.

Hard to belive this movie still causes censors nightmares,still as disturbing and powerful after all this time.Maybe as close as we will ever get to a fully uncut Ripper movie,unless you have the bootleg VHS tape[;)]

paul.mccluskey -> RE: LUCIO FULCI The Godfather of Gore. (28/1/2011 2:33:32 PM)

It has been announced that Shameless will release Don't Torture a Duckling in June 2011.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI