It's Confirmed: Del Toro For The Hobbit (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> It's Confirmed: Del Toro For The Hobbit (25/4/2008 7:03:30 AM)

Post your comments on this article

grucl -> RE: Best news I've heard in ages... (25/4/2008 8:00:42 AM)

This should be great! Del Toro is perfect!

Plus Empire will get at least 10 covers out of it once the shooting starts! [;)]

Scruffybobby -> RE: WOOOHOOOO (25/4/2008 10:43:25 AM)

Great news, really looking forward to this.

kinge247 -> RE: Zzzzzzzz ... (25/4/2008 11:58:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Dog Tannen

I for one don't give a hoot, given that 'the trilogy' was one of the most boring things I have ever endured in my life, but I hope it's everything you fans hope and dream it to be. And I mean that sincerely, folks.

Although you don't care it's actually cool that, unlike some people who post on here, you are being nice about it. Much appreciated by a devoted LOTR fan and self professed Guilermo Del Toro lover. (I'd have his kids if I had a womb).

TrendMeUp -> RE: An observation about Empire. (25/4/2008 1:21:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Dog Tannen

I have never liked the way that Empire worships Peter Jackson and his movies. There is absolutely no balance in either its reviews or the coverage of his movies. Five stars for King Kong? I know plenty of people who love LOTR and Kong, but I know even more who can't stand them. It's a shame that Empire doesn't (or won't) reflect that.

I don't want to kiss Empire's arse too much, but it isn't their job to reflect the differing views of film fans. That's what the forums are for. The magazine and its reviewers simply put forward their own opinion on the quality of the films. They happen to think the films are fantastic. You can't really accuse them of pandering to the fanboys, given some of their more controversial reviews (The Simpsons Movie, Iron Man etc).

And if you know more people who hate LOTR than love it than you must deliberately surround yourself with them. It's undeniably one of the most popular franchises in history.

Mad Dog Tannen -> TrendMeUp ... (25/4/2008 2:19:35 PM)

I have friends, I know lots of other people, and not a whole lot of them love LOTR.  That's it.  I don't like LOTR so I don't think about it, much less arrange my life around it.  Blimey!  Anyway, I just find it disappointing that Empire seems to be so single minded about this one guy.  It's boring, to be frank.

Pinkvelvet -> RE: TrendMeUp ... (25/4/2008 2:56:34 PM)

I'm extremely excited that Del Toro will be directing the films.  I would have preferred Jackson but Del Toro is a worthy successor.  I love his films, his vision is incredible so I'm sure he will do a fine job.  really like the idea of James McAvoy for Bilbo.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: TrendMeUp ... (25/4/2008 4:12:01 PM)

Never thought I would see the day that Del Toro actully commited to making a film.

All joking aside this is great news, he is the one person I would trust to carry on the work done by Peter Jackson. It is still years away so I will wait until I see the trailer come in 2010.

Has there been any word about The Lovely Bones? That film seems to have vanished into thin air.

Oh and Martin Freeman would make for a brilliant Bilbo Baggins. [:D]

Darth Goonie -> RE: (25/4/2008 5:12:07 PM)

I wonder if Bill Bailey will get to play a dwarf in this one?

liviclyde -> RE: (25/4/2008 7:11:55 PM)

Im sure it'll be fine, a fat bearded guy with glasses is making it.
Anyway it has to be better than some of the crap thats getting churned out at the moment.

danbo1138 -> hmmm (26/4/2008 3:42:08 PM)

i would have prefered jackson to direct,del toro is 'ok' but i'm unsure as to if he could carry this off.and as for the 'inbetweenquel' i can see no reason AT ALL for making that.just have a two part hobbit or adapt the silmarillion or something.

Biggus -> (26/4/2008 11:27:45 PM)

Del Toro is the future of cinema. There, I've said it.

Keiros -> Bugger. (27/4/2008 12:05:36 PM)

Guess he won't be directing 'Deathly Hallows' after all...

tango fett -> brilliant news (27/4/2008 5:48:45 PM)

although like quite a lot of people i would had prefered jackson directing, if he couldant do it i always wanted del torro. with jackson and his team writting and this visionary director we could be on to a winner! just wish it could come out tommorow. ah well i'll jus have to re-watch lord of the rings and pans labyrinth to satisify my movie hunger

The Red Avenger -> RE: brilliant news (29/4/2008 11:23:39 AM)

Ignoring the haters (shame about those prequels isn't it?) I don't see the second film as a cash in as there's a lot of stuff that happend inbetween the two books (and at the same time) that Tolkien never wrote about in detail but what he did do was give us the Appendicies and that fills in a lot of stuff.  My only concern is how to get it into a coherent narrative but by going on GDT's recent interviews with TORN and MTV. he's certainly committed,

The following points are interesting:

1, We WILL see the Necromancer being driven out of Dol-Guldur
2, We will get the rising of Sauron.
3, It will be like a Civil War (interesting concept - but I suppose correct)
4, He wants Ian Holm to be somehow involved (this kind of goes along with my theory of old Bilbo telling the story at the beginning and the end)
5, He LOVES the Riddles in the Dark section.
6, His favourite bit is "The Spiders in Mirkwood"
7, He favourite character is Smaug.
8, HE says "He wants a loss of innocence feel - that it will start light but will get dark and parts will be very scary."
9, He mentions that he wants to match PJ's world and says cryptically "especially in the second part of the second film"
10, He says if "You don't think Peter did a fantastic job then you probably won't think I will either."

In the TORN interview he says he has spoken to many of the origianl cast and crew and wants them on board - names like IanMcKellan and Andy Serkis (who have both updated their websites with their involvement) but also Howard Shore, Richard Taylor, Gino Acevedo, John Howe and Alan Lee. So it looks like continuity is of upmost importance.

Links:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04/25/28747-guillermo-del-toro-chats-with-torn-about-the-hobbit-films/

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1586421/story.jhtml

RA

claytonmeister -> RE: brilliant news (30/4/2008 8:56:13 AM)

you never know, it could all go horribly wrong. who is going to play all the parts!? I doubt it will go wrong though.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI