Best Pratchett book (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

wdruck -> Best Pratchett book (20/12/2005 4:18:12 PM)

I think Thief of Time is Terry Pratchett at his best. It's hilarious, imaginative and the best of his great collection of Discworld novels. What is your favourite Pratchett book? [8|]

neio -> RE: Best Pratchett book (6/1/2006 5:06:07 PM)

For me it has to be either Witches Abroad or Lords And Ladies. Both had me laughing out loud, and even a little bit tearful at a couple of points.

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Best Pratchett book (6/1/2006 6:32:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kat Brown

I've just re-read Men At Arms and it's absolutely superb. My own personal fave is Carpe Jugulum though - in my summer of geekery last year I managed to get Terry Pratchett to sign it. It was the one autograph where I didn't feel like I'd lost part of my dignity and soul.

As someone pointed out when I mentioned I have every single book signed, I'm afraid its not that unusual - Terry P signs EVERYTHING!

Pennylane -> RE: Best Pratchett book (7/1/2006 2:35:09 PM)

Can't pick I'm afraid.....totally undecided when it comes to which is my favourite...[:)]

Deadly_Little_Miho -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/1/2006 3:20:18 PM)

Probably Mort, although I love all of the Death series, especially Reaper Man and Soul Music.

I really hope he gets round to writing another Death or Rincewind story soon. The newer ones just seem less Discworld-ey to me. Although they are still excellent.

deadman -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/1/2006 5:14:14 PM)

Mort, Reaper Man and the Colour of Magic. All fantastic.

Dozy McGrew -> RE: Best Pratchett book (11/1/2006 5:37:57 PM)

Another vote for Reaper Man here.

Rebel scum -> RE: Best Pratchett book (12/1/2006 11:37:14 AM)

Mort. Funny and has a great climax. Death rocks!

Chief -> RE: Best Pratchett book (12/1/2006 1:36:30 PM)

Another vote for Night Watch. Fantastic Book. Also re-reading Feet of Clay at the moment and enjoying it very much.

Diamond Joe -> RE: Best Pratchett book (13/1/2006 1:32:25 PM)

i havent read any of his books is there any particular book to start on??

wdruck -> RE: Best Pratchett book (13/1/2006 4:16:37 PM)

The Colour of Magic is the first Discworld novel, start there

Diamond Joe -> RE: Best Pratchett book (13/1/2006 4:19:36 PM)

quote:

Thief of Time is Terry Pratchett at his best. It's hilarious, imaginative and the best of his great collection of Discworld novels. What is your favourite Pratchett book?

how many of these discworld novels are there??

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Best Pratchett book (14/1/2006 3:35:13 PM)

About 30 now I think

Dozy McGrew -> RE: Best Pratchett book (16/1/2006 12:09:41 PM)

Right in chronological and possibly reading order

The Colour Of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, Mort, Sourcery, Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids, Guards! Guards!, Eric, Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Lords And Ladies, Men At Arms, Soul Music. Interesting Times, Maskerade, Feet Of Clay, Hogfather, Jingo, The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum, The Fifth Elephant, The Truth, Thief Of Time, The Last Hero, Night Watch, Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Thud!

Also and allegedly for younger people -: The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents, The Wee Free Men (soon to be a major motion picture!), A Hat Full Of Sky.

That's what...34?

Beckymonster -> RE: Best Pratchett book (16/1/2006 2:56:39 PM)

I think I'm going to have to plump for 'Mort' as being one of my favourites...  Closely followed by 'Reaper Man' and 'Wyrd Sisters'. 

Having just looked at Dozy's list, I am struck by the weird urge to re-read all of them...  best go lie down and let the feeling pass I feel.  It would take most of the year I feel!

Changing the subject slightly - everyone's favourite character?  Death and for professional reasons...  The Librarian.  Having arms like that and teeth like that would make my job so much easier.  After all, would you argue about a 1 fine with someone like that?![:D]

Dozy McGrew -> RE: Best Pratchett book (16/1/2006 3:19:26 PM)

It's hard enough to have to try and pick a favourite book now you're asking about favourite characters? Pah! Tish!
Nanny Ogg it is then. Or Vimes. Possibly Death. Gah!

Izzardesque2 -> RE: Best Pratchett book (16/1/2006 5:52:08 PM)

Nobbs!!

stedmalo -> RE: Best Pratchett book (29/1/2006 9:47:54 PM)

Hard to choose a favourite.  My favourite series would be the City Watch series.  I pushed I'd probably go for Night Watch at the moment.

sowfeatures -> RE: Best Pratchett book (2/2/2006 9:19:33 AM)

The best I've read (out of only a few) is Guards Guards. It's funny and witty, and the charactors are genuinly likeable

moosey -> RE: Best Pratchett book (2/2/2006 9:49:30 AM)

I don't like Terry Pratchett, the books aren't funny and their readers are even less so. And some of them even have sow features!!

sowfeatures -> RE: Best Pratchett book (2/2/2006 9:56:17 AM)

Whereas some people are jewish!! (Private joke I know the guy.....unfortuneatly)

"If it wasn't for electricity we'd all be watching TV by candle light"

Chief -> RE: Best Pratchett book (2/2/2006 5:19:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: moosey

I don't like Terry Pratchett, the books aren't funny and their readers are even less so. And some of them even have sow features!!

So why post in a Terry Pratchett thread? Fuckwit.

Wedge -> RE: Best Pratchett book (5/2/2006 3:30:39 PM)

Mort
Guards! Guards!
Wyrd Sisters
Small Gods
Night Watch

The top five in my humble opinion.

The Truckers series is great as well.  Anyone remember the animated TV adaption?

Also, rumour has it that Hogfather is to be made into a live action TV film.  Starring David Jason as Albert!

Magpie -> RE: Best Pratchett book (5/2/2006 11:17:56 PM)

I've only read three but the one that really got me into the world was Reaper man, so I have to say that... Need to do some more research.[sm=whistle.gif]

tbird -> RE: Best Pratchett book (6/2/2006 4:17:48 PM)

I think my fave that I have read so far is Wyrd Sisters. I just love those three characters so much.

I love the way Pratchett used the footnotes and stuff to make you laugh just that little bit more!

RuffKut -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/2/2006 9:31:41 AM)

Mrs RuffKut just emailed me this story...

Clicky

...turns out that Sky are making a live action and CG version of the Hogfather for Christmas 2006 and they've signed David Jason to play Albert (Death's Butler).

Fingers crossed it makes the transition from book to screen ok.

Helen OHara -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/2/2006 10:21:05 AM)

The third book in the series? Twenty-third, maybe. Still, good news! First Wee Free Men, now this. Surely Good Omens has got to go back in the pipeline at some point soon.

Spartacus -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/2/2006 1:38:20 PM)

I've already emailed the stun over this and pointed out if they are going to say something they should perhaps check their facts.[:D]

As for my favourite book, that's a tough one, I could go with the majority and say any of the watch series and after watching Lawrence of Arabia it would probably be Jingo. Or anything involving Death.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/2/2006 7:06:47 PM)

More reliable link

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,,1705447,00.html

Hopefully if popular Sky will produce the other books in sequence. Starting at Hogfather seems a little weird though, Susan, Death, Albert won't be known to the audience. Although I can't wait to see who is cast as Teatime.

Dozy McGrew -> RE: Best Pratchett book (9/2/2006 7:29:24 PM)

Weird.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI