The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

James Dyer -> The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:07:33 PM)

Comment on this article.

Felix -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:17:26 PM)

You appear to have number 4 in the wrong place, it should be at the end. [sm=happy34.gif]

Art Vandelay -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:46:03 PM)

My two favourite shows in the top 2 spots, so i suppose i can't complain. Great list and glad to see Seinfeld made to the No. 11 spot.

And i couldn't agree more:

It's unfair to compare Matt Groening's other show to The Simpsons. Because what is as good as The Simpsons?

Sally_Ragdoll -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:48:40 PM)

Where's Whose Line Is It Anyway? and Grey's Anatomy?

micktonks -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:56:17 PM)

I cannot believe that Hill Strret Blues has been overlooked. Admittedly the Wire and the Shield are in there but the Blues set the standard.

Felix -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:59:01 PM)

Theres no NYPD Blue either, is there?

brampski -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 4:59:47 PM)

You could probably argue about the order of it all day, but I couldn't think of one TV show that was missing.  No surprises in the top 10 certainly.

Although, I remain convinced Veronica Mars and Arrested Development would be so much higher if they'd got the viewing figures they deserved.

And thank fuck The Mighty Boosh wasn't in there! A small amount of my faith in humanity is restored!

Tosh -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:06:58 PM)

Buffy @ number 2 - aye right!!

24 should be above Lost and maybe in number 2 slot (maybe 3 behind sopranos), but other than that its pretty darn good.

loved the facts aswell :D

thorkell -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:07:57 PM)

First. Six Feet Under Should be at the top.

2. Where is:
Oz
Combat!
Roots
Shogun
Soap
?

Samwel_X -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:08:51 PM)

Where is Oz? It is far superior to at least half of those shows.

watching85 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:12:51 PM)

Wow! No House?
I think this list really shows the fan genre interests. It's great to see The Simpsons as number one!

jamesbondguy -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:17:00 PM)

Where the hell is The Prisoner? Not just the smartest, most unique show in TV history, but also, in my opinion, the very best. Crap like Scrubs can get in, but The Prisoner can't? Huh?

Darthdanus -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:21:16 PM)

It sickens me to see that the longest running sci-fi show of ALL TIME (Guiness world record ladies) is NOT amongst the illustrious 50.

Stargate SG-1 may be cheddar bollocks...but at least it's entertaining cheddar bollocks.

petecriss8000 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:22:56 PM)

I'm really not trolling folks, honestly, but this list is the least researched and most effortlessly written Empire list I've ever seen. What's the point of running down a list of things everybody knows? There are tons of gags in Fawlty Towers funnier than the one about the Germans, tons of gags funnier than David Brent's single in The Office, tons of Buffy episodes less notorious than the gimmicky (but excellent) Hush and ...Feeling but just as good.

My main beef though, is with your top spot holder. The fat Homer episode of the Simpsons is perhaps one of the least funny episodes from that first decade when the show is actually funny. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but why put The Simpsons at the top of the list. Come on Empire, you've just done that because you're expected to. For God's sake, someone have the balls for once and buck the trend of putting the Simpsons at the top of every bloody list. It's a has-been show well past tis prime. Even Friends or Seinfeld would be a more appropriate choice, as they didnt suffer in quality anywhere near as badly as the Simpsons has in recent years. Futurama on the other hand has only gotten funnier from the offset, and its best episodes are better than the best Simpsons episodes. The Simpsons has become lowest common denominator comedy these days, and if it wasnt for its reputation would likely not still eing broadcast.

And come on, no Prison Break in the top 25?

Olly Richards -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:28:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: petecriss8000

I'm really not trolling folks, honestly, but this list is the least researched and most effortlessly written Empire list I've ever seen. What's the point of running down a list of things everybody knows? There are tons of gags in Fawlty Towers funnier than the one about the Germans, tons of gags funnier than David Brent's single in The Office, tons of Buffy episodes less notorious than the gimmicky (but excellent) Hush and ...Feeling but just as good.

My main beef though, is with your top spot holder. The fat Homer episode of the Simpsons is perhaps one of the least funny episodes from that first decade when the show is actually funny. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this, but why put The Simpsons at the top of the list. Come on Empire, you've just done that because you're expected to. For God's sake, someone have the balls for once and buck the trend of putting the Simpsons at the top of every bloody list. It's a has-been show well past tis prime. Even Friends or Seinfeld would be a more appropriate choice, as they didnt suffer in quality anywhere near as badly as the Simpsons has in recent years. Futurama on the other hand has only gotten funnier from the offset, and its best episodes are better than the best Simpsons episodes. The Simpsons has become lowest common denominator comedy these days, and if it wasnt for its reputation would likely not still eing broadcast.

And come one, no Prison Break in the top 25?

The list is voted for by readers. And best Futurama better than the best Simpsons? Gedouddatown.

fraser1978 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:29:53 PM)

Where the fuck was Smallville?

petecriss8000 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:30:16 PM)

You gedouddatown, Oliver. Fuck the readers, myself included!

Gene001 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:32:19 PM)

Really, this wasn't a very good list. Main reason? There is no way in this reality that Heroes is the 16th best show of all time, becase it's a 3-star show at most. Putting brilliance like Blackadder and Fawlty Towers behind The Wire, Spaced, Lost and Buffy the friggin' Vampire Slayer is inexcusable. This wasn't a proper list, it was a popularity contest.

Missing out Pride and Prejudice (1995) when something like Sex and the City is included is also total BS.

Crap list.

Olly Richards -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:34:35 PM)

Oliver? Am I being told off?

Mum?

Peppermint -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:36:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darthdanus

It sickens me to see that the longest running sci-fi show of ALL TIME (Guiness world record ladies) is NOT amongst the illustrious 50.

Stargate SG-1 may be cheddar bollocks...but at least it's entertaining cheddar bollocks.

Yeah, all the bloody Star Treks except for Voyager are in there, but no Stargate. 

Ecthelion -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:36:43 PM)

Where the fuck was Knight Rider?!

And by the way; Buffy better than Aaron Sorkin's MASTERPIECE The West Wing? Don't make me laugh..

And no Rome? Whats wrong with you people?[sm=ohmy.gif]

Gretzky -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:38:33 PM)

If one is to officially call Band of Brothers a "tv series" (even though it's really in the sub-category of mini-series which opens up a whole new vote), then you surely have to say Episode 7 "The Breaking Point" is the best episode. That is one of the finest hours of TV ever made...

They're all amazing episodes but any BoB fan will tell you TBP is the best of the bunch. [;)]

Joshie -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:43:44 PM)

No NYPD Blue and no Homicide:Life on the Street.

petecriss8000 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:44:01 PM)

YES! That sums it up perfectly, a popularity contest. I mean honestly, as a journalist and critic, whathaveyou and not one of the millions of us who only watch the Simpsons because its on at bloody teatime, Olly, what do you think is the best TV show of all time?

Kirby: Right Back At Ya, perhaps?

petecriss8000 -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:45:37 PM)

And how can someone simultaneously declare a love for The West Wing and Knight Rider?

Shite Rider

PythonFan -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:47:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Darthdanus

Yeah, all the bloody Star Treks except for Voyager are in there, but no Stargate. 

Beg to differ, Enterprise wasn't there! My favourite incarnation of Star Trek [:(] But what I'm most gutted about? The A-Team!!! Come on people, everyone knows the world woud be a much sadder and depressing place had we not had the A-Team.

I'm also disappointed that The 4400 didn't make it but not really surprised. Hope I wasn't the only person to vote though, it is good TV.

Scabby -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:47:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gene001

This wasn't a proper list, it was a popularity contest.

Isn't any list of greatest things a popularity contest? Otherwise it would just be a list full of shit that nobody likes and therefore wouldn't be a list compiled of the publics favourites!

Anyway! The list was alright was surprised as Angel, Buffy, Firefly and Heroes made the top 20. Mainly cause Buffy was fluffy entertainment that went downhill after series three and ever since has had an army of fanboys wank over it like it's injecting heroin into their bloodstream while watching it. Angel likewise was just fluff, not bad but not brilliant and it just shows how determined the Whedon fans are to show the rest of us how good he is and how we'll never understand the brilliance of his work.
Now I enjoyed firefly a lot and thought Serenity was a corking film but it would get nowhere near any top list for me .

Heroes on the other hand had a great first series that was let down by the amazingly bad second and if the people who voted for it in this list had seen what a train wreck the second series is then I'm sure there'd have second thoughts. If viewers of the second series still did vote then theres something very wrong with them indeed.

Loved Lost being number 5 though! The list though is what you'd expect. as I imagine this website and forum attracts mostly geeks who have a taste more skewed towards the cult.

kindofblue -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 5:52:05 PM)

first of all, the fact that the west wing was not top of the list is a bit sad.

but buffy the vampire slayer to be placed above it is shameful.[:@]

Eomer_King -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 6:03:06 PM)

Buffy The Vampire Slayer in front of The West Wing, The Sopranos, The Wire and ER!? What a load of cobblers. No Entourage either. Oh dear, oh dear.

mfj fratelli -> RE: The 50 Greatest TV Shows Of All Time (28/3/2008 6:05:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gene001

Putting brilliance like Blackadder and Fawlty Towers behind The Wire .... is inexcusable.

Forums are havens for some of the most witless statements. Your words are an insult to anyone with half a brain.  Just how much of The Wire have you actually seen? [8|]

Blackadder is great; Fawlty Towers has a huge following, but to put them above The Wire is fuckin' insanity. Just like the synopsis says: 'The Wire, at its best, is without peer on big screen or small.' Even though the words 'at its best' are superfluous. It should have been in the #1 spot.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI