BBC's 'Merlin' (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Wedge -> BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 5:57:46 PM)

This may be old news, but the Beeb are in the process of making a Merlin series.  Here.

Could be good.   Here's hoping that it's more Doctor Who than Robin 'Shit' Hood.

Whatsmore, ITV are also continuing on the SCI-Fantasy band waggon and are making a series about Van Helsing.

It's just a shame we British aren't so great at convincing Sci-Fi shows.

TomTron -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 6:12:10 PM)

Better than the original Sam Neil Three-Parter? I think not!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 6:27:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TomTron

Better than the original Sam Neil Three-Parter? I think not!

Nail on the freakin' head. Always thought that mini got a away with a lot more than it is given credit for (incest anyone?)

Although Merlins Apprentice was awful and deserves to be forgotton.

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 8:15:34 PM)

I think ITV have made - isn't that the ones the promos are out for showing Glenister in the lead?

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 8:25:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I think ITV have made - isn't that the ones the promos are out for showing Glenister in the lead?

Philip Glenister? Killing vampires? Might look out for that one.

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 11:18:22 PM)

Yup - called The Last Van Helsing apparently. The pic I saw had Glenister at the front in sharp suit surrounded by young 'uns.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (17/3/2008 11:37:22 PM)

quote:

Yup - called The Last Van Helsing apparently. The pic I saw had Glenister at the front in sharp suit surrounded by young 'uns.

As long as it's all about the Glenmaster I'll be happy.

Wedge -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (18/3/2008 7:35:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

As long as it's all about the Glenmaster I'll be happy.

Oh god, not another 'modernised' version! [sm=rolleyes10.gif]  Jekyll, Frankenstein, Three Musketeers and now Van Helsing.

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (18/3/2008 9:30:16 AM)

I guess it depends how. I thought Jekyll was by and large excellent.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (30/4/2008 2:25:28 AM)

Anthony Head of Gold Blend/Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Little Britain fame mentioned in an interview about his new show The Invisibles, that he's involved with the new Merlin series - doesn't say what part he's playing (don't think it's Merlin though).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7291567.stm

Cruisecontroller -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (30/4/2008 11:53:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

[
Oh god, not another 'modernised' version! [sm=rolleyes10.gif]  Jekyll, Frankenstein, Three Musketeers and now Van Helsing.

They made a modern day Three Musketeers when? If so I must have missed that. Could be good Merlin and Van Helsing sounds like a UK Buffy and could be good. I thought Jekyll was so so and thought Frankenstein was hysterically funny for all the wrong reasons.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (30/4/2008 11:59:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

[

They made a modern day Three Musketeers when? If so I must have missed that. Could be good Merlin and Van Helsing sounds like a UK Buffy and could be good. I thought Jekyll was so so and thought Frankenstein was hysterically funny for all the wrong reasons.

Poor poor James Puerfoy and the scene at the beach. It was like something out of Darkplaces.[:D]

Timon -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (6/7/2008 4:24:19 PM)

There was a small teaser for Merlin after Doctor Who last night but it simply said it was coming soon.

BBC Drama and Shine Limited today (Monday 17 March) announce that filming has begun for Merlin, a brand new drama for BBC One.

Acclaimed British actors Richard Wilson (Gauis) and Anthony Head (Uther) will star alongside newcomers Colin Morgan (Merlin) and Bradley James (Arthur) in the forthcoming 13-part series, which will transmit in autumn 2008.

Set in the mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began, this adaptation of the much loved tale focuses on Merlin as a young wizard on the cusp of adulthood and his ongoing clashes with a young King Arthur.

Merlin is produced and created by the International Emmy Award-winning production team behind Hex and Sugar Rush Julian Murphy, Johnny Capps, Jake Michie and Julian Jones.

The show will be directed by James Hawes (Fanny Hill). Executive producer for BBC One is Julie Gardner, BBC Wales Head of Drama. Merlin was commissioned by Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction.

Julian Murphy, Creative Director, Shine Limited, said: "The BBC are renowned for their high-quality drama and we are delighted to be working with them on such an ambitious project. The story of Merlin is a much loved classic and with the new take that this version adopts we hope to appeal to all audiences."

Jane Tranter comments: "The writer Julian Jones and award-winning team at Shine have delivered scripts which are bold and original, entertaining and enchanting, and director James Hawes's bravura vision for this piece is perfectly suited to the adventure we are all embarking upon. Merlin is a wonderfully ambitious and beautifully crafted series which we're sure will enchant families later this year."

Filming for Merlin will take place in Wales, England and France and the series will transmit on BBC One in autumn 2008.

Merlin joins an impressive stable of diverse and exciting BBC One drama commissions for autumn 2008 including Little Dorrit starring Matthew MacFadyen, Apparitions starring Martin Shaw, Tess Of The D'Urbervilles, Survivors and Wallander starring Kenneth Branagh.

I personally can't wait. I'm always up for some Arthurian action. Are there any cast pics around yet?

Also, who's tuning in for Bonekickers on Tues? Looks absolutely ridiculous but fun.

Captain Black -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (6/7/2008 4:56:07 PM)

Have they shown any footage of this? I'm getting a bit of a Robin Hood mk 2 vibe from it at the moment, unfortunately.

Edit: Oh sorry, missed your last comment about the cast pics there, Timon.

Not much on the CV for the two leads....

Timon -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (3/9/2008 9:51:53 AM)

So has everyone seen the big theatrical trailer that's been on the BBC and in cinemas? What do you think? Looks very colourful, nice and family friendly, Merlin and Arthur look a tad young but it looks to have a whole host of familiar guest stars.

Hopefully, it'll be better than Bonekickers and 'Code 9'.

[image]http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44854000/jpg/_44854066_merlin226.jpg[/image]

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (3/9/2008 12:18:23 PM)

Hex and Fanny Hill? What a fabulous pedigree. Writer of the first epi last did Hex and Sinchronicity, both vying for utter crap titles [:-]

DIdn't they use almost identical promo pics for Gormenghast? Failed, but at least it was interesting. Fortunately this looks so bad it can only seem better when I watch it.

DJ Satan -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (3/9/2008 1:01:54 PM)

I've seen the trailer and it looks like it could be fun. But I am worried it is going to be like Robin Hood and Dr Who and end up sucking.

Zaphod121 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (3/9/2008 1:08:08 PM)

Looks like it could be good, might check out the first ep, plus being a huge fan of Buffy Anthony Head is always a plus.

Funkyrae -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (3/9/2008 8:38:52 PM)

I'm quite looking forward to this, it looks like fun. Ok so Robin Hood wasn't the greatest thing that the Beeb have ever done, but my daughter adored it. For her it was a fun action thing to sit and watch and she was engrossed.

This looks like family entertainment and that's something that's needed in the lull between Dr Who seasons.

Jim -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (3/9/2008 9:45:00 PM)

Looks suspiciously like another Robin Hood swing-and-miss. I'll give it a shot though, my housemate really liked Robin Hood so he'll be watching it anyway.

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (20/9/2008 3:37:11 PM)

Starts tonight. Reviews seem OK - certainly better than Robin Hood got.

Timon -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (20/9/2008 11:03:04 PM)

I really liked it. They've got for a fantasy world instead of the 'realistic' tone of King Arthur so I don't mind things like Dragons, Camelot looking like Disneyland, the knights dressed like Narnian extras or the multi-ethnic cast, in fact it's rather refreshing.

While that stuff may not have worked in Robin Hood, I think it works here but what Merlin also has in its favour is a decent cast and, what I thought, was quite a decent and witty script. The lead is very likeable and charming and his banter with Arthur was actually quite amusing. It only just clicked that he was in the 'Midnight' episode of Dr Who.

Also John Hurt as a Dragon, inspired and it's made me want to go watch Dragonheart at some point.

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (21/9/2008 9:36:31 AM)

Substantially better than Robin Hood in performance and writing. While it is more a kids programme than a family programme - and I think that is an important distinction is something that should appeal to all - it avoided obvious anachronisms except a couple of jars, you tended to ignore that yet more of our tax money was being poured into eastern European locations, and some of the liberties with the myth.

The lad playing Merlin helps a lot - good performance, doesn't overplay it - the opposite in fact - eg when he hands over the first lot of medicine.

Personally? I think Collins was actually the only person actually guilty when charged with magic....

Overall - watchable. But the hallmark of a family show is that you don't think it should be on at 5pm weekdays on BBC1. This doesn't quite make the cut.

TomTron -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (21/9/2008 1:55:59 PM)

I thought it was 'meh'. Just made me want to go and watch Sam Neil's Merlin on Youtube and relive those childhood memories.

Harley Quinn -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (22/9/2008 10:46:00 AM)

I really liked it, as Funky said it feels the gap between Dr Who and it's something that I can happily watch with my four year old.  He loved it and can't wait for next week's.

discodave101 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (24/9/2008 11:09:45 AM)

It was actually ok, I enjoyed it. I'll be sticking with it to see where it goes.

It is just Doctor Who time filler though, but I'd choose this over the truly awful Robin Hood any day.

elab49 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (24/9/2008 11:32:45 AM)

Is it not a tad violent for a 4yo? The knife throwing (at people for fun) - and the ball and chain thing? \Saw a comment about it being right for the Harry Potter reading age/market which sounds about right.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (27/9/2008 6:58:47 PM)

Missed the first epi of this, but thought I'd give it a go - actually quite enjoyable. Whilst I still think it's kind of brain dead to have a young Arthur in this, the two guys work quite well together, and the guy playing Merlin is very good. Though, why did Two Pints of Lager have that greasy stubble on his face? Made it too obvious he was the bad guy for my tastes.

Timon -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (28/9/2008 11:23:36 PM)

I'm still enjoying it. The banter between Arthur and Merlin is good fun and it's generally fantasy tone is just right for early Saturday nights. More sword fighting! More monsters!

discodave101 -> RE: BBC's 'Merlin' (29/9/2008 8:06:41 AM)

Yep. Simple Early saturday evening entertainment. Hopefully they'll develop a baddie with an arc, as so far in the opening 2 episodes the baddies have been peripheral 1 dimensional characters, which is understandable to begin with as they develop the main characters.

Morgana is suitably fit too.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI