Exclusive: Del Toro To Make Dr Strange? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Exclusive: Del Toro To Make Dr Strange? (8/2/2008 6:48:11 PM)

Post your comments on this article

H is the greatest -> Dr. Lame (8/2/2008 6:48:11 PM)

Not interested.

jonny-w -> hmmm (8/2/2008 6:58:28 PM)

his other superhero film is Hellboy which wasn't great, and the only reason the sequel looks good is because he's completely ignoring the comics and doing whatever the hell he likes with it. much rather see him giving us more of his own original stuff... and the hobbit.

doctorolorinbats1975 -> Make up your mind Del Toro! (8/2/2008 7:22:39 PM)

Dr. Strange, Tarzan, The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Frankenstein... This guy is talented, but he has a really short attention span. I would love to see his takes on many of these stories, but I am getting a bit impatient really.

sanchia -> RE: hmmm (8/2/2008 8:03:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonny-w

his other superhero film is Hellboy which wasn't great, and the only reason the sequel looks good is because he's completely ignoring the comics and doing whatever the hell he likes with it. much rather see him giving us more of his own original stuff... and the hobbit.

Actually the sequel seems to be embracing the whole forklore aspect of Hellboy which has made the best stories from the comics.

Dr Strange is one of those characters who works best as a supporting figure so I tend not to be overjoyed when hearing of a film starring the character.

astoroth -> possibly, maybe? (8/2/2008 8:29:46 PM)

i just don't know. it sounds superb on paper-del toro's cinematography and art direction would fit the character like a glove-and gaiman's not only a brilliant novelist but a great comic book writer and now an experienced screenwriter; it could be a master cocktail of creative minds. however, i'm debating whether dr strange can hold his own in hollywood. he, along with his fanbase, have always been a little more on the outside of the marvel spectrum and they would need to show his loner-like characteristics in the movie-i just hope they don't tip the edge like elektra or the 2 punisher movies.

billythekid -> but... (8/2/2008 8:39:58 PM)

but wat abt harry potter 7??? i was well excited abt idea that del toro may do the last harry potter........ wat happend to that idea????

cold_one -> RE: but... (8/2/2008 8:49:04 PM)

Wow, it would be fine with me if he dropped everything else and went straight to Dr. Strange. That's a fantastic idea.

A high-grossing superhero movie could earn him a bigger budget for his dream Lovecraft project, which I'm also dying to see.

Kazuya -> RE: Exclusive: Del Toro To Make Dr Strange? (9/2/2008 12:02:00 AM)

Exactly how many projects is Del Toro supposedly doing in the next couple of years? 254? 

jimoakley666 -> RE: Exclusive: Del Toro To Make Dr Strange? (9/2/2008 10:44:32 AM)

This should be bloody cool. Imagine a Pulp Noir with a seriously buggered up Psychedelic half. The suits not all that odd though. Depending on which ones you read, its pretty much a taylored suit and waste-coat / tunic with an OTT cape.

Now who would make a good Doc Strange? He was originally based on Vincent Pryce.

Pierce Brosnan (think Mars Attacks) with a tach?
Johnny Depp. Nah.
Jason Issacs. Yeah! Jason bloody Issacs!
Cool.

SorryIndy -> (9/2/2008 10:51:46 AM)

Wow Del Toro doing another movie. If only he would commit to one so everyone else knew what to expect from him. He's a great director but I'm getting a bit tired of seeing him attached to every film under the sun. There are other visually strong directors out there.

jimoakley666 -> RE: (9/2/2008 1:23:06 PM)

Yeah, but you've gotta admit, he get 'em done. The guys like a barmy talented movie assembly line (bare in mind he writes them and does the production design too). He moves from one straight to the next. Theres nothing wrong with lining up your projects. I thought he wasn't doing a Harry Potter flick cause his mate did instead.

Big Braveheart -> Fresh twist on a superhero (9/2/2008 1:33:58 PM)

Dr.Strange is a curiosity and something very different to your average superhero and potentially
very intriguing. Liam Neeson maybe as the Doc?

jimoakley666 -> RE: Fresh twist on a superhero (9/2/2008 2:28:35 PM)

Interesting choice. Not sure though. I would prefere Brosnan from the two Irish Seraphim stars. But are they too old? For the origin he needs to be closer to late 30's / early 40's, i'm thinkin.

PythonFan -> (9/2/2008 2:41:15 PM)

I have mixed feelings about this. I am a big fan of a little movie called Doctor Mordrid that was originally based on Dr Strange before they lost the rights. It's by no means a great movie but I am very partial to it. I think Del Toro is a brilliant director and could really show a different, darker side to the character that does appeal to me though. Meanwhile, bring on Mountains of Madness! :)

enemysprout -> (9/2/2008 3:06:41 PM)

By complete coincidence I have just finished (30mins ago) re-watching Jonathan Ross's 'In search of Steve Kitko' which features both Dr Strange and Neil Gaiman who is clearly a huge fan, so he would make a very good choice to write. Del Toro woulds certainly be one obvious choice to direct.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: (9/2/2008 9:10:13 PM)

Empire should have a weekly Del Toro update page. I think from a bussiness sense if he made the Hobbit there would be a lot more leeway to do other projets. Dr Strange isn't something I think he would undertake after doing Hellboy...

TheHunkIsSprunk -> The Best in da biz (10/2/2008 4:13:09 AM)

I'm really happy that he's gonna direct The Hobbit..If P.Jackson is not gonna direct, I only got 2 guys in my mind, him or George Lucas..On the other hand, I think he will do well inDr. Strange..Blade 2 and Hellboy rock big time so this will be no problem..

OldGregg -> (11/2/2008 9:56:43 PM)

I would love to see this. Dr Strange would be quite different to all your recent OTT comic book blockbusters. (which I still love). Imagine some thing dark and slightly sinister like Pans labyrinth but with some kick ass hellboy style action. Excuse me while I change my pants!

DeadBelushi -> Dr Strangeus (12/2/2008 2:19:58 AM)

Excellent that that this film will be made!!!

Though I can't help always thinking of Dr Orpheus from The Venture Brothers now, every time I see Dr Strange. If you don't know the character, look him up or watch that show. Brilliant!!!

DeadBelushi -> Dr Strangeus Pt 2 (12/2/2008 2:31:01 AM)

Here's some good clips of Dr Orpheus

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WcwRiSl0Ay0

Hope you enjoy!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI