UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

Art Vandelay -> UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (2/2/2008 8:59:37 PM)

This sport has been growing on me ever since i saw it Live at the O2 arena 4-5 months ago, and with the upcoming PPV on tonight, just wondering if there are any other fans out there? If not, then this Thread is gonna die a quick death, but if not, who's your money on tonight with Lesnar vs. Mir? I haven't seen Lesnar fight, but i'm assuming he's gonna be quite the powerhouse, whilst Frank Mir is more of a technical wrestler. It's a very tough one to call.

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (2/2/2008 10:16:32 PM)

Mir hasn't been the same since his motorbike accident, he's looked overweight, sloppy and is not the slick submission machine that he once was. If Mir doesn't catch Lesnar with something in the first round then he will gas, and open the door for Lesnar to take him down and control him.

If Lesnar lives up to even half of the hype, it doesn't look good for Mir. His wrestling base is exceptional but he hasn't been hit yet. Which is the acid test. However, Lesnar only appears to have one trick up his sleeve, which Mir is counting on as he wants to be on his back for this fight. Lesnar could be playing into his hands.

Umm ahhh ummm..........I'm sitting on the fence, can't pick a winner I'm afraid.

I hope that Sylvia gets schooled by Minotauro. Sylvia is an ultra-conservative goon, with a glass jaw who has never put on an exciting fight in his life. I hope he taps out.

Don't know much about the rest of the card. But the upcoming Silva/Henderson bout should be special. Henderson is a bit of a ledgend but Anderson Silva is (along with BJ Penn) the fighter in MMA at the minute.

Boring Prophet -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/2/2008 12:23:09 AM)

I'm not up on the rules of UFC, but could Lesnar use the F-5?

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/2/2008 1:36:29 AM)

I'm slowly grasping all the rules and regulations, but yeah, i suppose in theory Lesnar could deliver a F-5. But it would be near impossible for him to pull of the move whilst Mir was still conscious. Pulling off a simple take-down is hard enough.

Kami89 -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/2/2008 4:55:54 PM)

[:'(] Well he lost.

Lesnar was absolutely hammering him until Mir got him with a Kneebar.

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/2/2008 11:09:30 PM)

He's certainly got a future in the UFC, but just lost out on experience. Mir is one of the heavyweight greats, so it was an extremely tough challenge for his first fight, and provided an entertaining, yet very short fight.

Also, i just read that Setanta Sports have signed a deal with the UFC that from July 08 onwards, all PPV's will be shown live! Sorted.

j2thabill -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/2/2008 11:57:36 PM)

UFC pwns ive been watching it for 3 years now if you want a good palce to read news on it and debate in forums go here   http://www.sherdog.com/

As a wrestling fan i'm really sad that Brock lossed it looked like Mir was about to get knocked out untill he caught Brock's leg. Just need Randy to fight Fedor and big Nog to find out who is realy the best HW in the world now![:)]

Taffy -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (4/2/2008 3:35:33 AM)

Love the UFC, have done since stumbling on some random highlight show on Bravo about a year ago. I enjoyed the card tonight, nice to see Tim go down, although how Nog withstood that punishment in the first and second round is beyond me, his face was a mess too!

Lesner was awsome I think tonight, you have to remember its his first fight against a former heavyweight champ, agree with above post he has struggled to find his old form since the bike accident. The fact he just threw Mir around the ring shows me that once he gets more acclimatised and educated his is going to be scary good. Gutted about the setanta news to be honest, I love watching the PPV on bravo on a sunday and dont want to subscribe to watch in a few months!

krudler -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (4/2/2008 12:33:34 PM)

It was great to see how Lesnar handled himself, hopefully it shut up all the naysayers who reckoned as he wasnt a "real" fighter since he was a pro-wrestler that he was all talk and no action, lets be honest here he was beating the shit out of Mir for the whole fight until the last few seconds, and it was a rookie mistake that cost him  the fight, if he perfects how to avoid submissions he could easily be the champion, the fact he was booed during his entrance and cheered after the fight shows he earned the respect of the fans, fair play to him i say i really hope he makes it big

BigKovacs -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (26/2/2008 2:35:51 PM)

Ah finally a UFC thread, I haven't actually watched it for about two years when I moved into my current flat and couldn't afford sky. Unfortunately I'm wofefully behind on who's who and what's going on but I'll try and catch up.

It's one of the best spectator sports out there at the mo and I'm surprised this threads so quiet!

BigKovacs -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (5/3/2008 9:22:34 AM)

Oh yeah would anyone object to opening this thread up to technical discussion about the sport, like various gym's or martial arts that are involved in the sport?

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (6/3/2008 11:37:23 AM)

No problem with me. The last PPV was a top one. One of the best. The only issue now is who can Silva fight next and actually provide some competition? He might just consider going up a weight class in search of a challenge.

Are you involved in any MMA training right now BigKovacs? Not professional, just practice and stuff?

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (20/4/2008 3:10:21 AM)

UFC 83 tonight.

I would dearly love for Serra to win but GSP is just too much, too fast for anyone at welterweight (bar Penn) so I expect a GSP stoppage. Though it'd be great if Serra took GSP into the deep waters of the 4th round and gained some credibility, and confidence ahead of the inevitable showdown with Hughes.

Bisping is also on the card. I'm not sure why I like him, but I can't help it. He seems a clumsy and unbalanced striker and is not nearly as good as his hype suggests, but the guy's very likeable. I just wish he would play to his strengths a bit more, he has great defence on the ground (against wrestlers), top 5 for cardio in the organization and has a huge heart. If he pushed the pace and fought his best for 3 rounds, he could steal a lot of decisions against some top middleweights. But we'll see.

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (20/4/2008 12:45:59 PM)

Just read the results and it was disappointing, yet inevitable that GSP would regain the title. I'm gonna watch the PPV before i comment on any of the fights.

Sledge Hammer -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (22/4/2008 8:53:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boring Prophet

I'm not up on the rules of UFC, but could Lesnar use the F-5?

Theoretically yes - but no UFC fighter would ever let themselves get into that position! In reality, if lesnar did get a grappler in that position, the guy would have to be out stone cold for lesnar to complete the move (which means the fight would already be over). If he wasn't out cold, the move would be easily countered into a choke.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JJ Holiday

UFC 83 tonight.

I would dearly love for Serra to win but GSP is just too much, too fast for anyone at welterweight (bar Penn) so I expect a GSP stoppage. Though it'd be great if Serra took GSP into the deep waters of the 4th round and gained some credibility, and confidence ahead of the inevitable showdown with Hughes.

Bisping is also on the card. I'm not sure why I like him, but I can't help it. He seems a clumsy and unbalanced striker and is not nearly as good as his hype suggests, but the guy's very likeable. I just wish he would play to his strengths a bit more, he has great defence on the ground (against wrestlers), top 5 for cardio in the organization and has a huge heart. If he pushed the pace and fought his best for 3 rounds, he could steal a lot of decisions against some top middleweights. But we'll see.

Bisping looked awesome. His new weight made him look like a different fighter - his opponent McCarthy only dished out one type of pain to Bisping - he repeatedly hurt Bispings knees by slamming his head and arms into them! 

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (22/4/2008 10:47:13 AM)

I saw the Bisping fight, and yes he did impress. The boy looked fast, he really rattled off those combinations from the clinch.

He'll need to maintain and harness his new found striking speed, as he isn't going to drop anybody of note with just one punch. Great submission defence also, kept his cool and got his arm out of the armbar.

Having said this McCarthy is as abysmal fighter, but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

Well done to The Count!

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/7/2008 2:37:35 PM)

It is UFC 86 on Saturday, Rampage against Forrest Griffin, which despite having a whole television series to hype this fight, the preamble seems to be rather tepid. Having said that I think that this fight will suprise a lot of people, it should be a cracker. Griffin doesn't know how to have a boring fight, and hopefully that mentality brings out the showman in Jackson. The pre fight interviews amongst the two have been interesting, they both have basically said that Griffin can't knock Rampage out so hopefully we won't get treated to a sloppy boxing match but instead Griffin might work his submission game against Rampage, which I don't think he'll like. And if Griffin can survive to the later rounds then he stands quite a good chance of pulling off the upset.

Having said that, Rampage is just better than every 205 pounder out there right now. He outstruck Lidell and out-wrestled Hendo, I expect him to be too much for Forrest.

The undercard doesn't really excite me, Koscheck bores me to death and I don't buy Cote v Almeida as a middleweight title eliminator. Though I hope Joe 'Daddy' bounces back with a win against Tibau.

On a side note, Anderson Silva putting on 20lbs to move up to light-heavyweight should be interesting, I hope it doesn't kill his speed though. And Bisping v Leben has been announced for UFC 89, I just hope that it isn't the main event. Maybe they can pad it out with Silva v Okami.

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/7/2008 5:27:05 PM)

Forgot all about this thread! I agree that although the tension hasn't been hyped up too much between the two of them, Griffin vs. Rampage should be a thriller. I'd love to see Forrest pick up a win, but the money's gotta be on Rampage. And I'm bloody excited about Silva moving up a weight as the man had no real competition left in the Middleweight division. Although I'm still praying for a Silva vs. Bisping fight sometime in the near future. In the words of Joe Rogan, it would be fans dream fight!

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (3/7/2008 9:45:31 PM)

Why are you praying for a Silva v Bisping match up, do you want to see murder live on PPV? [:D]

The only reason fans dream of it is because Americans hate him after the Hammil decision.

He's nowhere near ready yet, he's still fighting C/D list competition, Leben is barely a step up in class and he has to get past Hendo, Franklin or Okami first to even be considered as a contender, before that are guys like Quarry, Leites or Marquardt. The boy has a way to go. I hope he progresses though.

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (6/7/2008 11:14:52 PM)

Well, well, well Art. I did not see that coming! Did you catch the fight?

Forrest with the unanimous decision. Which I found to be quite odd. Don't get me wrong I thought he might have squeaked it (possibly a draw though), but Rampage only won round 1 on one of the judges scorecards, even though he smacked Griffen up in that round.

I scored the fight like this 48-47 Griffen. The real killer was Griffen's 10-8 round in the 2nd. But you could still convince me the Rampage won.

It was a really good fight, however I don't think that the rest of the card lived up to the main event.

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (7/7/2008 11:50:11 AM)

Yeah, quite a few fights ending on decision, which Dana won't be too pleased about. But the Griffin fight was class and was deservedly the winner, although i agree that Rampage got slightly mugged off with the judges decisions. It was certainly a more even fight than they made it out to be. The only question now is who will be the first to challenge for the title? There's more than a few top contenders in the division.

Frank Castle -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (7/7/2008 1:39:42 PM)

Ok i think i was being stupid but on setanta on my freeview it turned off before the main event??? I stayed up till 5 in the morn to c it and setanta closed down? did i miss something?

JJ Holiday -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (7/7/2008 4:22:30 PM)

The way I see it is that there isn't a legitimate number 1 contender at the minute in the LHW Division. Liddell needs another win to make himself relevant again (against someone that isn't Evans), I'd say Wanderlai needs 2 and Machida needs to fight someone that is ranked in order to even be considered. Guys like Evans aren't even close. This will all take time to resolve so I see no reason why they shouldn't sign a rematch for Jackson and Forrest. Either way you think the fight went, there is enough doubt in the decision and enough excitement was produced for another fight between the two to work.

Don't know anything about the Setanta feed, sorry.

Art Vandelay -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (7/7/2008 11:40:42 PM)

Machida would certainly be an interesting opponent. I wouldn't know about Freeview, but were you paying the 10 quid a month? Cause if so, then it should have worked.

Frank Castle -> RE: UFC - Ultimate Fighting Championship (8/7/2008 9:22:08 AM)

Yeah im paying the ten quid a month. I watched all the evnt up until the main event which kicked off at 5 then setanta turned itself off. Im not happy [:@]

Sledge Hammer -> Affliction Banned (25/7/2008 8:16:01 AM)

did anyone see Affliction Banned?

First time I have seen Fedor and he absolutely demolished Tim Silvya. However match of the night was the Avorloski one...absolutely awesome...

JJ Holiday -> RE: Affliction Banned (25/7/2008 12:23:19 PM)

Huzzah!

[image]http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/articlefiles/6112-25_FedorEmelianenkoPrideUSA.jpg[/image]

The mighty Fedor reigns supreme, the guy is just unreal. Unreal.

[image]http://dan-cutler.com/images/tim_sylvia.jpg[/image]

Big Timmy got embarrassed, tapping out in 36 seconds. Oh dear. But you can't help but feel that the big, glass jawed, delusional, inbred freak deserved it.

Oh, and Arlovski is awesome.

Sledge Hammer -> RE: Affliction Banned (11/8/2008 5:49:01 PM)

Did anyone see Lesnar fight on the UFC the other night?

Although he could have gone for submissions, he really dominated and smothered Herring.

And what an opening punch - I think it surprised both men!

Frank Castle -> RE: Affliction Banned (11/8/2008 5:53:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sledge Hammer

Did anyone see Lesnar fight on the UFC the other night?

Although he could have gone for submissions, he really dominated and smothered Herring.

And what an opening punch - I think it surprised both men!

He was so dominate in that match, i dont think herring knew what hit him. lesner was awesome and to big for him.
But alas i only watched the first 2 rounds and missed the main event as setanta again decided to turn off at 5 on freeview! I will be talking to setanta and expecting a explanation!

Art Vandelay -> RE: Affliction Banned (12/8/2008 1:38:30 PM)

I was rooting for Lesnar at first, but i really hate his style of ground and pound, for near 15 minutes! He obviously dominated the fight, but what did we expect? The difference in size was just ridiculous. Plus he acted like a right little twat at the end of the fight...pointing and laughing at him!? Act you age mate.

The rest of the PPV was solid, and although the final 3 all went to decision, the Pierre and especially Florian's fight were extremely entertaining. As was that 8-9 second knock-out!

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI