About those Harry Potter rumours (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> About those Harry Potter rumours (14/1/2008 2:07:01 PM)

Post your comments on this article

the ageless stranger -> Harry Potter and the Milking of the Golden Teat (14/1/2008 2:07:01 PM)

Okay, maybe it does need to be done, but I had to say it.....

Rogue -> (14/1/2008 2:24:55 PM)

Mail on Sunday my arse,

LeChuck -> No, nonononono. (14/1/2008 2:36:12 PM)

No need for this at all. Why go back to the bad old days of clunky, overly-faithful non-adaptation? Both Goblet and Phoenix were pared down heavily from the source text, but very skilfully, in my opinion, and were much better films for it. There's no reason at all why the same couldn't be done to Deathly Hallows, other than to mollify pedantic fans and cash-hungry WB execs. The Potter films have gotten exponentially better since they freed themselves from their slavish devotion to the letter of their source books, and started attempting considered cinematic equivalents ("adaptations", if you will :P) - long may that continue. After all, if I want every last detail, I still have the book; give us a single good film, WB, not this indulgent two-part nonsense.

Mad Dog Tannen -> Hot dogs. (14/1/2008 3:22:35 PM)

I wasn't very hungry yesterday evening (must have been one too many hot dogs at lunchtime), so I ate a nice bowl of museli instead. In fact, I had a little too much museli, and was quite full afterwards.

Mad Dog Tannen -> Hot dogs. (14/1/2008 3:23:06 PM)

I wasn't very hungry yesterday evening (must have been one too many hot dogs at lunchtime), so I ate a nice bowl of museli instead. In fact, I had a little too much museli, and was quite full afterwards.

Beetlejuice! -> (14/1/2008 3:49:30 PM)

Meow!

Sammo -> Rubbish! (14/1/2008 4:04:46 PM)

I wish the Mail On Sunday's writers would go on strike.

harvey_payne -> why not?? (14/1/2008 4:34:51 PM)

The film studios need to milk the lucrative harry potter franchise for every dollar before its over. Its not about being faithful at all - is it?? I enjoyed Phoenix (the best if you ask me, along with Azkhaban), but not sure if it would have been as good if it was drawn out.

broonie -> RE: Rubbish! (14/1/2008 4:35:04 PM)

Bollocks! If they can trim down HP:The Order ... to a decent running time they can do the same to the Deathly Hallows. Fuck sake surely Warner Bros have made enough money from the first five films. Talk about milking it for what it's worth.

Hughezy -> (14/1/2008 6:16:23 PM)

that 4th Harry Potter could've/should've been about 30 minutes shorter. i mean, that whole dance thing had NOTHING to do with the overall story.

Villain -> (14/1/2008 6:34:18 PM)

I totally agree that an over-faithful adaptation, as per the first two movies, would be a mistake. However, the difference between DH and, in particular, OotP, is that DH is pretty packed with a dense narrative, most of which is essential to the story and in providing closure to story arcs and overall themes of the series. OotP was ripe for trimming. DH somewhat less so methinks. Maybe two shortish movies... or a Lord of the Rings Stylee 3 hour epic.

doctorolorinbats1975 -> (14/1/2008 6:35:01 PM)

I think Hallows can easily be pared down to one film. Goblet of Fire was easily the most complex of all the books and they did fine there.

billkiller -> Potted (14/1/2008 10:00:28 PM)

I think Empire should secure an interview with Kloves once the first draft is written. Then ask him. Though I'd agree with LeChuck. God I hate the Daily Mail, what a pile of shit.

Esmereldet -> RE: Potted (15/1/2008 10:04:02 AM)

Who cares how long it is, they have to be faithful to this one. We all want to see as much as possible. I think they can end it after they escape from Malfoy Manor and come to Shell Cottage. Then start the second one when they start plotting hte Gringots break-in. 

camy2269 -> (15/1/2008 10:42:47 AM)

I think filming as much as possible, editing it for normal release and then having an extended edition (think lord of the rings) available on dvd would give the best of both worlds. I think that this is something that the whole harry potter franchise could have benefitted from.

steveg66 -> (15/1/2008 11:30:38 AM)

What's the problem with an extended finale on screen not just DVD? Return of the King ran for 3 hours or thereabouts and there were plenty of under 12's at the screenings I went to (including my own) who, on the majority, managed to sit through it quietly enough. The film needs to hold their attention.

rsman26 -> A slap in the face (15/1/2008 6:10:30 PM)

I feel this is a slap in the face to all true HP fans who have wait many years for this story to come to an end in books as well as on film, and now theres talk of spilting the final film in two, meaning we would have to wait even longer to see the conclusion of this saga on film, it doesn't matter if the last film is the longest, fans would love that much more then having to wait a year to see the films end.

airhead034 -> 2 Parts? (29/1/2008 6:23:29 PM)

I think that the most logical solution is to make one film with an intermission. The film, which will be too long to watch in one sitting will have time to stretch your legs. Also, it will allow the writers to keep all of the details from the novel intact, while avoiding having to stretch out the material too thinly. Just my thoughts.

DJRnold -> Wake-Up Call (17/2/2008 3:36:49 PM)

Everybody on this site keeps saying that it should be one really long movie.
But what none of them can seem to get through their thick skulls is that the producers are NEVER going to make the movie three-or-more hours long. And it needs to be that long.
Look at the first one. Very little was cut for the film adaption, and it was 152 minutes long! Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows NEEDS to be 2 films!

broonie said:
"Bollocks! If they can trim down HP:The Order ... to a decent running time they can do the same to the Deathly Hallows. Fuck sake surely Warner Bros have made enough money from the first five films. Talk about milking it for what it's worth."

My first comment to broonie is that The Order Of The Phoenix film was a HORRIBLY SHORT adaption, and was missing plenty of important information. Even some rather entertaining scenes were cut.
My second comment is that making the last Harry Potter book into two movies wouldn't be all about making money. It would be about doing the book justice and not skipping important information OR exciting moments, while NOT keeping people in theatres for more than 150 minutes (2.5 hours). Yes, Warner Bros would make more money, but who the hell cares? Why does it matter? You don't want to pay more? I would DEFINATELY pay twice as much to see Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows done properly, and NOT chopped to death like The Order Of The Phoenix film.

So MAKE THE DEATHLY HALLOWS INTO 2 FILMS, otherwise it will be disappoint pretty much every fan of the books. And what other kind of HP fan is there?..Oh yah. The illiterate "I only watch the movies" gang will be missing out on an amazing story if The Deathly Hallows is made into one 150 minute movie.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.347656E-02