Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

discodave101 -> Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (9/1/2008 4:42:42 PM)

Anyone heard/read about this high concept idea starting this thursday by 'surprisingly' ITV?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7172340.stm

It sounds like an intriguing idea, but the fact its by ITV (not renowned for soaps or comedies lets face it) leaves me a little concerned. If it were on BBC2, I think I'd be far more excited. The fact it also seems to star quite a few people whose respective career paths haven't really gone as planned, doesn't bode well either, but its still a strong british cast.

I may give it a try, but I won't get my hopes up. I don't think I've ever had anything from ITV on series link...ever!

Peppermint -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (9/1/2008 5:31:44 PM)

I've heard about it, but I certainly won't be watching it.  I'm sure there's a programme about paint drying on at the same time.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (9/1/2008 7:22:01 PM)

It's an interesting idea, if just ever so slightly self indulgent. I'll give it a watch but it's sad to say this is the sort of thing that America would probably do a lot better than us. Still done properly, this could be a winner

spark1 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (10/1/2008 12:48:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

It's an interesting idea, if just ever so slightly self indulgent. I'll give it a watch but it's sad to say this is the sort of thing that America would probably do a lot better than us. Still done properly, this could be a winner

are an itv1 audience weaned on corrie and heartbeat really gonna get this?

Penguin of Death -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (10/1/2008 1:45:40 PM)

Sounds intriguing from everything I've seen/heard, it's the first thing in years that has made me consider watching ITV

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (11/1/2008 7:14:57 AM)

Wasn't too bad, only watched the first part though and not Echo Beach [:D]

discodave101 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (11/1/2008 9:11:29 AM)

Didn't bother in the end, chose to watch Spider-Man 3 on DVD again instead. The soap part didn't interest me in the slightest. Anybody watch both? Wonder what the critics are saying.

DJ Satan -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (11/1/2008 9:15:21 AM)

I ended up watching Echo Beach after Buzzcocks so I missed the part. I was flicking over and was intrigued when I saw Ed Speelers (Eragon) name in the credits.

It was a little cheesey but I quite enjoyed it. It could end up being a guilty pleasure.

blackduck -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (11/1/2008 10:34:59 AM)

Wallpaper looks like it could be good, not sure how long till the spotting refrences in Echo beach bit gets old. Also why is Echo Beach on so late? Couldn't see any reason for making it a post watershed show. It's basically Home and Away in Cornwall. 

discodave101 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (11/1/2008 2:32:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Wallpaper looks like it could be good, not sure how long till the spotting refrences in Echo beach bit gets old. Also why is Echo Beach on so late? Couldn't see any reason for making it a post watershed show. It's basically Home and Away in Cornwall. 

Yeah, the time surprised me too, particularly as they were 'crazily' selling it in promotions as The O.C. meets Extras.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (12/1/2008 11:18:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Yeah, the time surprised me too, particularly as they were 'crazily' selling it in promotions as The O.C. meets Extras.

Moving Wallpaper is a bit risque though what with  Susie Amy's swapping sexual favours for work, and all the talk about "taking Abi up the beach hut"  And there was at least one use of the "F" word last night, which would make it post watershed. Echo Beach is meant to be watched concurrently with it, so it's just more practical to schedule it directly after.

Gazdance -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (12/1/2008 2:45:35 PM)

I like the concept.  I hate soaps though so Echo Beach was just awful in every way for me.  For some reason I ended up watching Echo Beach followed by Moving Wallpaper on my PVR and thought that it worked really well that way.  Moving Wallpaper is the better of the two shows but not exactly very funny for a sitcom.  Interesting idea but I don't think it will last and certainly isn't good enough to get me hooked.

Blunderbuss -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (14/1/2008 3:02:31 PM)

After two eps of both Moving Wallpaper (MW) and EchoBeach (EB) I'm happy to say that I'm a fan of the first but the jury remains out on the second.

MW is a genuinely funny comedy and for a TV show about the making of a TV show is not at all self-indulgent.  Its also a very different beast to Extras, even if it shares some common ground with Ricky Gervais' show, with MW played far more for laughs than pathos.

As far as EB goes as an adjunct to MW its great.  I found myself laughing out loud at the appearance of the Panda in ep 2 and the somewhat confused/put ut look on Martine M's face when Suzi Amy's 'extra' suddenly engages her in an entire superfluous conversation was subtle but hilarious.  As a standalone soap however, (and I'm no expert on these things) its far less successful and feels somewhat cobbled together.

Then again as MW showed that it was 'cobbled together' inside 14 days then maybe that's yet another in joke and as the production crew on MW get more practice and tinker more with EB it will become progressively smoother and slicker...

...and that is part of the appeal of both shows together.  Whilst MW is funny by itself and EB is an acceptable soap they work best when seen as one single show with what happens in one directly effecting the other and vice-versa.

Cruisecontroller -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (25/1/2008 11:55:07 AM)

Moving Wallpaper is watchable but Echo Beach is a Cornish Home and Away just duller and thats saying something. Also the accents are all wrong. The actress in it who was Headmistress Mrs McCluskie in Grange Hill had a Cornish accent that was so thick I couldn`t understand a word she said, Jason Donavon was as Cornish as Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee and Martine M`s accent wasn`t upto much either. I didn`t realise the young blond hero in Eragon was in it but if so thats not a great career move no its a flop to me. 

discodave101 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (25/1/2008 12:15:40 PM)

Seems to be the common concensus I'm hearing from everyone. Glad I never tuned in to either really.

Question is, if Moving Wallpaper really is superior, can it survive without Echo Beach?

Scruffybobby -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (25/1/2008 12:28:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

Moving Wallpaper is watchable but Echo Beach is a Cornish Home and Away just duller and thats saying something. Also the accents are all wrong. The actress in it who was Headmistress Mrs McCluskie in Grange Hill had a Cornish accent that was so thick I couldn`t understand a word she said, Jason Donavon was as Cornish as Paul Hogan in Crocodile Dundee and Martine M`s accent wasn`t upto much either. I didn`t realise the young blond hero in Eragon was in it but if so thats not a great career move no its a flop to me. 

I knew I knew her from somewhere! As for Donovan - isn't he meant be an Aussie?

I'm still undecided on this. Moving Wallpaper is an entertaining watch but Echo Beach is pretty cheesey. I think deliberately so, but if it's deliberate it's just not cheesey enough. As a pastiche of a soap it's just another soap really.

Captain Mainwaring -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (25/1/2008 1:55:36 PM)

Echo Beach is pretty corny and one wonders how much of it is meant to be there just fool the viewers this is a soap, I reckon Martine McCutcheon and Jason Donovan are in on the joke too. I doubt Martine would be back for a second series as she is supposed to have a book, and a new album in the pipeline...
[sm=whistle.gif]

spark1 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (26/1/2008 1:33:24 PM)

'larry sanders' did this so much better-great behind the scenes comedy+an on screen show u wouldn't mind seeing in real life.

elab49 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (26/1/2008 3:19:42 PM)

Actually this reminds me more of Absolute Power in terms of structure of the first one - and not just because of James Lance. I really liked Moving Wallpaper at first but it is tailing off a bit. This week I also stopped bothering to watch the soap part. It was awful from the first and was only interesting to see the inserts.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (26/1/2008 9:38:31 PM)

Seems like an interesting concept but why put the "behind the scenes" programme on straight after? It turns it into a fictionalised DVD extra. Sounds from the responses here like he should have written the soap part first so they could get both shows to work.

elab49 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (26/1/2008 10:15:20 PM)

It's the other way round - you see them discussing writing the episode, with storylines, dialogue and even the sets coming in and then you see how it turns out afterwards in the soap. I don't think doing the soap first would work - what they are trying to do is get people like me - who wouldn't waste seconds watching soaps - to watch this. The soap is Eldorado level kak. The first show did have promise as a well-written sitcom that frankly never needed the soap to be shown.

Dirty Hartigan -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (26/1/2008 10:52:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

It's the other way round - you see them discussing writing the episode, with storylines, dialogue and even the sets coming in and then you see how it turns out afterwards in the soap. I don't think doing the soap first would work - what they are trying to do is get people like me - who wouldn't waste seconds watching soaps - to watch this. The soap is Eldorado level kak. The first show did have promise as a well-written sitcom that frankly never needed the soap to be shown.

Ah, I see. Well, it's the idea of them being juxtaposed in either configuration that bothers me, it takes you out of the fictional reality of either show. I don't know if you need to be made constantly aware of the metafictional connection, when they're still playing characters whichever show they're on. Eldorado, eh? My god...[&:]

elab49 -> RE: Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper - ITV (27/1/2008 5:03:59 PM)

I think they agree with your last point there too - there is really only one actor who has been seen in both. The main actors from the soap might be seen walking in the background but they rarely interact in the first show.

Blunderbuss -> Moving Wallpaper renewed - without Echo Beach (20/5/2008 1:12:05 PM)

I know this didn't pick up a huge following during Season 1 but it seems that ITV have faith in (IMO) the genuinely funny Moving Wallpaper because they have commissioned a second series.  Wisely (again IMO) however, they have decided to drop the accompanying 'soap' Echo Beach as a separate show and amalgamate scenes from it into Moving Wallpaper (extending the overall running time of each MW ep I assume).

This makes sense to me.  Moving Wallpaper was genuinely funny and entertaining, whilst the only appeal of Echo Beach was trying to spot references to events in Moving Wallpaper.  Otherwise it was just a pretty dire soap.  Reformatting the show to show 'behind the scenes' comedy and chaos interspersed with the 'on-screen' results could turn it into UK version of The Larry Sanders Show, which would be a good thing...especially if they get more of the 'real life' soap actors directly involved in the behind the scenes stuff and taking the piss out of themselves in the process. 

Of course it will remain to be seen whether the likes of Jason Donovan hang around now that the separate Echo Beach show has been canned...

My only concern is the fact that its still on ITV, which is not the natural home of the sort of comedy Moving Wallpaper did well.  Had this been on BBC2 or Channel 4 then I think it would have grabbed greater critical kudos.  Also Friday night at nine never felt like the right place for this.  Better to find it a post watershed mid-week place in the schedule...

DJ Rob C: Mark II! -> RE: Moving Wallpaper renewed - without Echo Beach (1/3/2009 8:49:51 PM)

It's back on... did anyone watch it?

I drifted off during Series 1, mainly because there was so much on, but liked what I saw... and this new series starts off promisingly, and looks to be quite good...

Cruisecontroller -> RE: Moving Wallpaper renewed - without Echo Beach (13/3/2009 2:24:48 PM)

I saw the first episode of the first series which was good but I too couldn`t keep up with all the other shows on at the time but this time I`m watching them all and really enjoying it. Alan Dale is playing himself playing a character in a zombie horror tv show with Kelly Brook that the writers are working on. It`s good fun.[:)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI