Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

theoriginalcynic -> Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (11/11/2007 2:56:01 PM)

I've looked through the forum and I can't find a Frasier thread.  Unless I've missed it [8|]  Eleven years - pure genuis.  Just wondered what everyone's favourite episodes are? 

Some of mine are...

1 Three Valentines - season six absolute classic has Niles alone at Frasier's apartment trying to get ready for a date.  He cuts himself and keeps fainting from the sight of his own blood while ironing his pants.  The second part with Frasier trying to work ot whether his date is business or pleasure is even funnier
2 My Coffee with Niles - Niles and Frasier at the coffee shop for 22 mins - Niles asks Frasier if he's happy and everytime he trys to answer the question something stops him
3 Author Author - season one - Niles and Frasier try and write a book together
4 The matchmaker - season two - Frasier sets Tom up with Daphne but Tom thinks he's dating Frasier
5 Daphne's room - season two - Frasier keeps desturbing the privacy of her room
6 The Inn-keepers - season two - Frasier and Niles open a restaurant
7 Dark Victory - season two - a black out at the appartment makes Frasier relise he's sick of helping people all the time
8 Chess pains - season three - Frasier becomes obsessed after martin beats him at Chess
9 The two Mrs Cranes - season 4 - Niles pretends to be Daphne's husband when her ex-bf comes to town. 
10 - Ham Radio - season 4 - Frasier puts on a radio play at KACL
11 - Three dates and a breakup - exactly as the title says - Frasier gets three dates and his father breaks up with Sherry
12 - Frasier's Imaginary friend - season five - nobody believe's that he's dating a model because they never get to see him with her
13 - The Ski lodge - season five - just a classic episode - as they all go to a Ski cabain for the weekend
14 - Decoys - Niles pretends to date Roz on a holiday to get Frasier and Martin to leave them alone so that he can get Donny together with Roz leaving daphne to himself...confusing eh? But funny

There's so many more but what would you expect from a show that won 36 Emmy's? Six for best comedy show every year during the first sx seasons...

I haven't seen every episode from season seven onwards - waiting for DVD hence no episodes from later seasons.  If you can't remember what happens in the episodes open TV.com that's what I did [:)]

In my opinion it's the best comedy ever made.  I met David Hyde Pierce in New York last month and he was so kind.  I got a photo and autograph and he asked me where I was from in England.  They were filming a docu for Curtains - a broadway play he's in and I had to sign a release form.  So, maybe i'll be in the documentary lol...

Anyway thoughts on Frasier?

Mrs.Doyle -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (11/11/2007 3:19:51 PM)

I don't know all the season numbers but I have always been an avid Frasier fan until  Niles got off with Daphne then I stopped watching. But recently we've been watching the re-runs and realised although it had changed it was still funny up to the end.
My favourite episode is when Niles gets to dance with Daphne and you think she is going to find out about his love for her but something as usual goes wrong.

The Ham radio play is a fave too and the Ski lodge holiday although that veers off too much into the farce that some episodes are rather prone to.

Niles is my favourite character plus Eddie of course! (RIP Moose)

Zaphod121 -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (11/11/2007 3:44:10 PM)

I too love this show, only really seen random episodes across the board, but from what I've seen it's genius, I'd love to get the dvds one day.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (11/11/2007 3:49:50 PM)

Dvd's are cheap on Amazon - around fiftteen pound a series for something that's endlessly watchable

bobatim -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (11/11/2007 4:07:12 PM)

My favourite episode is the one where Martin is trying to solve an old murder case and Fraiser deduces it must've been a monkey. The scene at the basketball game is great.

Spectator to Niles "Whats the score?"

Niles taking out earphones "West Side Story" Great stuff! LMAO

Amelie_Scotland -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (11/11/2007 7:45:04 PM)

I adore this show. My parents would always get pissed off with me watching it all the time but when they sat down to watch it too, they loved it and bought me 4 seasons on DVD! Niles is one of my all time favourite TV characters although i do agree the show went a bit downhill after he and Daphne got together. All the fun was in the unrequited love. David Hyde Pierce did the role so well. My favourite episodes are The Innkeepers and A Midwinter Night's Dream.

Niles:  [dressed as a pirate] Well, my plan was to leave a treasure map downstairs for Maris, with clues that would lead her to my whereabouts. Then, I'd hide in the linen closet and wait for her to find me.
Martin:  Dressed like that?
Niles:  Actually, no, at the time, I was wearing only my eye-patch. Although, is it technically still an eye-patch if you're wearing it on your...
Frasier: STOP!

Niles: There I was lying in wait, with my little plastic knife clenched between my teeth, when the closet door was flung open and I found myself face to face with the upstairs maid. She began screaming what I gather were some very unflattering things in idiomatic Guatemalan, when Maris stumbled upon the scene and completely misconstrued it. The next thing I knew she ordered me out of the house! I barely had time to grab my pantaloons and buckle my swash.

Frasier: [Niles and Daphne are alone in his house] My God, it's a recipe for disaster! You've got a vulnerable woman and an unstable man in a gothic mansion on a rainy night! The only thing missing is someone shouting "Heathcliff!" across the moors!

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 8:36:54 AM)

Some of my favourite quotes come from when Frasier is at work.

Frasier to a caller: Roger, at Cornell University, they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunnelling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons, you can actually see images of the atom, the infinitesimally minute building blocks of our universe. Roger, if I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn't be able to locate my interest in your problem. Thank you for your call.

Doug: ... And she doesn't want to do anything or go anywhere and she literally hangs around the house all day. I mean, it's very frustrating...
Frasier: I'm sorry Doug, can we just go back a second? You said your mother literally hangs around the house. Well, I suppose it's a pet peeve of mine but I suppose what you mean is that she figuratively “hangs around” the house. To literally hang around the house you'd have to be a bat or spider monkey. Now, back to your problem?
Doug: Do you mind if we stop while I tell you my pet peeve?
Frasier: Not at all.
Doug: I HATE IT WHEN INTELLECTUAL PINHEADS WITH SUPERIORITY COMPLEXES NIT-PICK YOUR GRAMMAR WHEN THEY COME TO YOU FOR HELP. THAT'S WHAT I GOT A PROBLEM WITH! [hangs up]
Frasier: ...I think what he means is, that is a thing with which he has a problem.

and in Café Nervosa

Niles: I'll have a grande half-caf latte, with a whisper of cinnamon, and for my father, plain coffee. I cannot emphasize the word "plain" enough. No foam, no cinnamon, no exotic flavors. If it is not plain, I take no responsibility for the consequences.
Waitress: How about a biscotti?
Niles: All right. But when you bring it, call it a cookie.

or between Niles and Frasier

Frasier: Niles, you're a good brother and a credit to the psychiatric profession.
Niles: You're a good brother too.

Niles: What is that? Rain?
Frasier: No, God is crying!
Niles: I asked a simple question.
Frasier: Do you ask any other kind?

Frasier: Dad, do you think we're odd?
Martin: No, you're not odd. You're just "special." Your mother told me that when you were kids, and I still believe it.

LB Jeffries -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 2:15:57 PM)

I love this show whenever I catch it on Sky but I missed out on it when C4 screened it first time around. Would love to own the dvd's.
Anybody caught Grammer's new show 'Back To You'? It's set in a local TV station and also stars Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond).

Mozza -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 2:34:28 PM)

I adore Frasier.  I love how it can go from seamless wordplay into insane farce in an instant.  My personal favourite one is where they go on holiday in a Winnebago and accientally end up in Canada.

Rotary Ten -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 3:01:20 PM)

My favourite episode is where Frasier attempts to write a theme tune for his radio show. Everything great about the programme in one episode. There are too many great ones to come up with a list, but that sits at the top. Now for some choice quotes!

[Daphne is pretending to be Niles' wife in order to let down her ex-fiancé down easily]
Clive: Daphne, I noticed in the phone book, your surname still is Moon.
Niles: That must be an old book. Now she hyphenates. It's Moon-Crane.
Martin: [pretending to be a retired astronaut] I remember the first time I drove a moon crane. Damn near rolled it right into the Sea of Tranquillity!

[Niles sees Frasier is restless with his usual routine, and searches for different things for them to do]
Niles: There's a wonderful lecture series on the history of Modern Lecture Series.

Niles: [substituting for Frasier on his radio show] Although I feel perfectly qualified to fill Frasier's radio shoes, I should warn you that while Frasier is a Freudian I am a Jungian. So there'll be no blaming mother today!

[Niles has been carrying around a sack of flour and pretending it's a baby in order to see if he is ready for the commitment of a real child]
Niles: I was practicing my Tai Chi this morning, and I accidentally kicked him into the reflecting pool. That's when I brought him inside and left him by the hearth to dry.
Frasier: He caught fire?
Niles: I was not as careless as it seems. A real child would have cried before it burst into flames!

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 5:01:35 PM)

Martin: For God's sake, Frasier, you're forty-one years old - it's time you learned something. The system ain't perfect - sometimes the bad guy wins. And all those things you thought would be around to help you, the courts and the police department - well, sometimes, they're just not there when you need them, so you can let it eat a hole in your stomach or you can just file it away under the heading "Sometimes life sucks."
Frasier: Yeah, well, that file's getting pretty thick!
The Crucible
Niles: Those were awful, those family driving vacations. Dad insisting on covering as many miles as possible in a day; the two of us, tiny hostages in the back seat, clutching our car sickness bags, straining to see something out of the window as the landscape whizzed by. I was 13 before I realized cows aren't blurry.
Travels with Martin
Niles: Good golly, I'm inspired. I'm going to put on a baseball cap.
Travels with Martin
Frasier: Niles... I've just had an epiphany.
Niles: Oh wonderful, we could use a second sentence.
Author, Author

Phil884 -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 5:30:40 PM)

Used to watch these when I was younger and recently bought the DVDs. Adore the show (until season 7, when that dropped to just liking a lot).

One of my favourites is when Martin is encouraged to finish his Frank Sinatra inspired song, "She's such a groovy lady..." The episode somehow moves to Niles leaping up and down upon an urn containing his aunt's ashes as he's too weak to open it before Frasier arranges for a church choir sing the song as a eulogy. Brilliant.

Also, love the one where Niles suspects Maris is having an affair with her Bavarian fencing instructor. That leads to a tripartite translation in English, Spanish and Bavarian before Niles and the Bavarian duel. Oh, I could name dozens more. [:D]

Bruce Wayne -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (12/11/2007 6:56:27 PM)

Surely the best sitcom ever. I love the episode where Frasier and Niles buy a resturant and have a disasterous opening night, its just one funny gag after another. Daphne throwing that eel against the wooden table never fails to make me cry with laugh and I must have watched it over 20 times. Who doesnt love Fraiser? And I love the episode where the Fraiser clan, Daphne and Roz spend the evening in the dark and they play the game with pennys.

Frasier: Lets play the game whose the most boring person in the room?
Roz: well lets at least play a game that others have a chance of winning Frasier

I love Roz and Daphne, and Niles, heck I love them all.

John_P -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (13/11/2007 3:20:19 PM)

been watching season 3 this morning, its just so well written. Love the reccurring characters like Bulldog and Gil Chesterton.

Phil884 -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (13/11/2007 3:34:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John_P

been watching season 3 this morning, its just so well written. Love the reccurring characters like Bulldog and Gil Chesterton.

"Wait a minute- who took my- THIS IS TOTAL BS [slams hand on table], THIS IS- Oh, wait here it is."

The above being every great scene featuring Bulldog!

Rotary Ten -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (13/11/2007 3:38:11 PM)

quote:

One of my favourite moments is Frasier's line "that's the first time I've ever seen a man 'IN' himself". Brilliant.

Also, what other show would have jokes like "at university the existentialist club voted me 'most likely to be'"??

matty_b -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (13/11/2007 10:33:38 PM)

Ah, Frasier - my all time favourite US sitcom that never ceases to amaze with its sheer wit, dazzling performances and its ability to play high farce like nobodys business. David Hyde Pierce is undoubtedly the finest tv comic actor of his generation, and I've always said if I could have two dads, Marty would be the other one [:D]

Most of my favourite episodes have been mentioned - Ham Radio, Ski Lodge, Match maker (Martin's off-screen laugh from the kitchen when he discovers the truth is a thing of genius) - but there's a few lines that always kill me:

Martin: Frasier, do you know what me and my buddies used to do when we wanted a date?
Frasier: Invade Korea?

Niles: Frasier, where's your phone?
Frasier: It's in the bedroom. You see, all the electrical appliances are on a wonderful adventure this weekend!

(after they accidentally take Daphne into Canada when she's not allowed to leave the country)

Niles: Dad, it's called smuggling!
Martin: Oh gee, thanks, Niles. I always knew it was something illegal I just didn't know the technical term for it!

Jackie Boy -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (14/11/2007 4:13:52 PM)

Ham Radio, Radio Wars & Ski Lodge are all belters but my personal favourite is the one where Daphne has the handyman over for a spot of oo-er missis. Caught half dressed & half way out the door by Frasier he quips "Could this get any more embarrassing?" Cue Eddie withn Daphne's delicates at hand. It's just one brilliant moment of many from one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.

Phil884 -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/11/2007 10:02:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

(after they accidentally take Daphne into Canada when she's not allowed to leave the country)

I love that episode, particularly when the officer inspects their vehicle and Daphne can only repeat "sure, sure" being the one word she can speak with an American accent. [:D]

Amelie_Scotland -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/11/2007 6:25:04 PM)

I watched some of Season 1 last night and was in hysterics of laughter. No matter how many times i've seen that season, it always makes me laugh. Author, Author particularly was genius. Niles and Frasier's fight was too funny.

Frasier: Niles, I would shave my head for you.
Niles: A gesture that grows less significant with each passing year.

[Frasier is attempting to throttle Niles during a particularly out-of-control argument]
Niles: My God, I'm having a flashback! You're climbing in my crib and jumping on me!
Frasier: You stole my mommy!

JagLover -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/11/2007 7:02:00 PM)

Great, Great show when it was in its prime.

I stopped watching some time in season 5 however, the magic had gone.

I've bought the first 3 seasons on DVD.

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/11/2007 7:43:09 PM)

Think again some of the best episodes are in  season six and seven - especially Three Valentines and Something Borrowed Someone Blue

matty_b -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (19/11/2007 3:32:39 PM)

Just thought of another great quote. It's from the episode where a rock star moves in above Frasier, keeping him awake all day with his music. He gives a priceless reply, when Daphne tells him that he's called Johnny Chainsaw "Oh really! From the New Hampton Chainsaws?"

impqueen -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (19/11/2007 3:44:56 PM)

Frasier is my all time favourite sitcom and one of my all time great American Television Shows (The West Wing and Star Trek) being the other two, there are far too many episodes I love and I actually know almost every word up until Season 8, I need Season 10 and 11 to complete my collection, I just adore the show and every character.

I am especially a big fan of the brilliant Niles and the superb David Hyde Pierce however the longer I watch the show repeatedly I appreciate every character more with Martin being the biggest surprise John Mahoney had some of the best lines and his delivery is top notch everytime.

I will say this Season Two of Frasier is the finest season of any show, each and every episode is perfect, great writing , excellent performances and very very funny.

Though the show did dip (you can not expect every episode to be completely flawless for 11 years) and Season 8-10 are a little slow though still have moments of genius and joy, however I think Season 11 was just as good as old Frasier and it ended (unfairly ignored- compared to the fan fare that accompanied the end of the lesser Friends) on a high.

Cruisecontroller -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (28/2/2011 1:45:57 PM)

Bought the complete boxset last month for a ridculously low price and just love it. The episode that stand out to me was the one when Niles is having a party at his apartment and Maris cockatoo gets out of its cage and attaches itself to his head and won`t go. Then there is the one with Fraiser doing a speech at his sons Bar Mitzver but not being Jewish himself getting a Jewish colleague at work to write it in Hebrew on the condition he gets some autographs at a Star Trek convention. He doesn`t so the colleague writes the speech in Klingon [:D] The looks on the congregations faces when he starts speaking in Klngon are hysterically funny. Said moments below;

To Kill A Talking Bird full episode in three parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZeLfn4SOHc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtsOo25vAfU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPxzB_Tv7pU&feature=related

Star Bar Mitzvah Clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1BuJuHq9a8

Not as consistently funny once Daphne got together with Niles but still capable of great moments as the Star Bar Mitzvah clip shows.

Sledge Hammer -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (28/2/2011 5:19:20 PM)

this along with Seinfeld are the two greatest comedies ever written.

My favourite line comes from the one where Frasier writes the jingle for his show. niles approaches him after seeing the orchestra:

Niles: Have you ever heard of the saying 'less is more'
Frasier : Yes but If less is more, just think how much more "more" will be

genius! Actually that is the way to sum up the show in one word.

musht -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (28/2/2011 10:55:13 PM)

GREAT show!! absolutely love it . . . although I do think Cheers is better, but only slightly.

I personally love the episode where Martin has to pretend to be gay, don't know the episode name or which series it's from but it's a fucking classic.

I agree it went down hill after Niles and Daphne got together, I felt Daphne's character changed completely lost all kookiness which made her so appealing that would be my main flaw with the show, also her mother was really annoying . . . but apart from that, brilliant show

Saltire -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/7/2011 1:31:25 AM)

Yeah I agree, was a wonderful series for the first six or seven years but it dropped quite a bit in standard towards the end. It did have a lot of annoying eps with the English mother-in-law and that Aussie guy playing Daphne's brother (who had a Cockney accent even though she was from Manchester!). However the writing was mostly first-rate and this along with Seinfeld, are two of my favourite ever US comedy series and would be in my top ten comedy series of them all...

JIm R -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/7/2011 10:22:15 AM)

The writing for this series is genius and manages to convey heartfelt, touching, funny and farce into almost every episode.

Best American sit com ever. I know many feel Friends is but IMO Fraiser tops it.

jcthefirst -> RE: Frasier - hello Seattle we love you (15/7/2011 10:39:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rotary Ten

quote:

One of my favourite moments is Frasier's line "that's the first time I've ever seen a man 'IN' himself". Brilliant.

Also, what other show would have jokes like "at university the existentialist club voted me 'most likely to be'"??

It's the way he's says that one as well.

I may treat myself to the boxset.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI