Bob Dylan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile

Larry of Arabia -> Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 3:01:01 PM)

Having just seen the trailer for I'm Not There, the upcoming Todd Haynes film based in part on the life of His Bobness, starring Cate Blanchett, Christian Bale, Heath Ledger and Richard Gere as the same person, I thought I'd start a thread on what people make of the man himself.

Do you think he's deserving of the hyperbole? Some can't get past his nasal voice (and that was when he was young) and can't see what the big deal is about, whilst others see his songs as perhaps containing the secrets of the universe (I'm closer to the latter).

Biggus -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 3:07:04 PM)

The only album of his that I currently own is Highway 61 Revisited which I really like. I'm adding the new 3CD compilation to my Xmas list as I'd like to hear more of his stuff and this seems like a good place to start.

[image]http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/HMV/88697109542.JPG[/image]

straight2dvd -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 3:10:07 PM)

I've never been a fan of Bob Dylan. He's always been in the same bracket as Neil Young to me - boring music, great lyrics. 

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 3:35:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

The only album of his that I currently own is Highway 61 Revisited which I really like. I'm adding the new 3CD compilation to my Xmas list as I'd like to hear more of his stuff and this seems like a good place to start.

I've heard that it's not the usual hits collection, so I don't think you can go wrong there - but don't wait till Christmas, you're denying yourself a treat!

Joe -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 3:50:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

quote:

I've heard that it's not the usual hits collection, so I don't think you can go wrong there - but don't wait till Christmas, you're denying yourself a treat!

If you don't have any of the other million greatest hits compilations that are out there then I'd recommend this, it covers his whole career and represents him well.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 4:09:01 PM)

Be prepared to go investigating, though. I've had a closer look and some of my very favourites are missing. I suppose that's unavoidable, but no Desolation Row or Workingman's Blues #2!

Biggus -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 7:31:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: straight2dvd

I've never been a fan of Bob Dylan. He's always been in the same bracket as Neil Young to me - boring music, great lyrics. 

Now I'm definitely a big Neil Young fan! How dare you sir!

Monkey Wrench -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 9:10:35 PM)

I think "Bringing It All Back Home" is one of my most treasured records in my collection. A glorious piece of work, combining the potent musical history of Americana and some of the most forward thinking and insightful and beautiful lyrics about love, war, labour and employment, friendship, travel and discovery. I've listened to it since I was 14 years old, and every time I do I listen in AWE. I could talk about this record for hours. But I won't because I know I'd bore the fuck out of all of you.

And just because of this, Dylan will always be one of the greatest things to ever happen to modern music.

Fantastic moments:

- The way he sings the "oh!" before going into "get sick, get well, hang around an ink well..." on Subterranean Homesick Blues, like he's about to spill over into an emotive fit of joy like he knows how good this song is.

- Every single line in Love Minus Zero/No Limit, but especially the "Some speak of the future / My love she speaks softly / She knows there's no success like failure / And that failure's no success at all" stanza. I remember watching Scorsese's "No Direction Home" film about Dylan, and in one scene he's playing his acoustic in a room full of drinkers and smokers in a lounge, and there's this one fellow who's laughing and talking to someone offscreen as Dylan is playing this song. And as soon as Dylan sings the "She knows there's no success like failure..." line, the guy's smile drops from his face and he just stares at Dylan in shock like he's just heard something so fucking potent and brilliant and enlightening, as though he has just heard some kind of prophecy or a new way of looking at life. It gives me shivers just thinking about this line.

- Bob Dylan's 115th Dream. This song is like some Mark Twain novel and references Moby Dick at the beginning. Not only is there the brilliant fluff up intro that does actually make me smile and wish I were there when it happened each time I listen to it, but the story just evokes these brilliant and intriguing images of modern America and its evolution/revolution. It sounds like they really had some fun making this record, especially this song. I would try and give you a line to show you how good this song is, but you'd just have to listen yourself because I'll end up quoting the whole thing.

- Mr. Tambourine - I need not explain. This album is just full of wonderful moments, plateaus and climaxes that will take you on such wonderful journeys. This is one of the more understated and folky tales that Dylan just can't help but make to make us feel like we're in the hands of someone quite brilliant. He is someone worthy of admiration solely for this track, let alone the clarity and delivery of this whole record.

I'll stop now.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 11:04:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkey Wrench

- Bob Dylan's 115th Dream. This song is like some Mark Twain novel and references Moby Dick at the beginning. Not only is there the brilliant fluff up intro that does actually make me smile and wish I were there when it happened each time I listen to it, but the story just evokes these brilliant and intriguing images of modern America and its evolution/revolution. It sounds like they really had some fun making this record, especially this song. I would try and give you a line to show you how good this song is, but you'd just have to listen yourself because I'll end up quoting the whole thing.

I love that line - "This Englishman said 'fab'." I always like to hear British words in American's songs!

Anyone got a favourite period? I'm partial to the mid-'70's Rolling Thunder era, but I'm loving his new purple patch right now - "Love & Theft" was one of the first I bought and remains a favourite, Po' Boy and Lonesome Day Blues especially.

Venkman -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 11:24:04 PM)

quote:

I think "Bringing It All Back Home" is one of my most treasured records in my collection. A glorious piece of work, combining the potent musical history of Americana and some of the most forward thinking and insightful and beautiful lyrics about love, war, labour and employment, friendship, travel and discovery. I've listened to it since I was 14 years old, and every time I do I listen in AWE. I could talk about this record for hours. But I won't because I know I'd bore the fuck out of all of you.

And just because of this, Dylan will always be one of the greatest things to ever happen to modern music.

Fantastic moments:

- The way he sings the "oh!" before going into "get sick, get well, hang around an ink well..." on Subterranean Homesick Blues, like he's about to spill over into an emotive fit of joy like he knows how good this song is.

- Every single line in Love Minus Zero/No Limit, but especially the "Some speak of the future / My love she speaks softly / She knows there's no success like failure / And that failure's no success at all" stanza. I remember watching Scorsese's "No Direction Home" film about Dylan, and in one scene he's playing his acoustic in a room full of drinkers and smokers in a lounge, and there's this one fellow who's laughing and talking to someone offscreen as Dylan is playing this song. And as soon as Dylan sings the "She knows there's no success like failure..." line, the guy's smile drops from his face and he just stares at Dylan in shock like he's just heard something so fucking potent and brilliant and enlightening, as though he has just heard some kind of prophecy or a new way of looking at life. It gives me shivers just thinking about this line.

- Mr. Tambourine - I need not explain. This album is just full of wonderful moments, plateaus and climaxes that will take you on such wonderful journeys. This is one of the more understated and folky tales that Dylan just can't help but make to make us feel like we're in the hands of someone quite brilliant. He is someone worthy of admiration solely for this track, let alone the clarity and delivery of this whole record.

I'll stop now.

Great post mate

Bob Dylan is a legend and the quality of his back catalogue should be the motivation for new artists to not rest on their laurels once they have had one hit album.

As for a favourite period, I would probably choose the mid sixties and the holy trinity of Bringing it all Back home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. Some of the less well known (if thats possible with Dylan) albums that I love are Nashville Skyline, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid and Time out of Mind

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (10/10/2007 11:29:44 PM)

Daniel Lanois' production on Time Out Of Mind is great as well, and I agree about the back catalogue - I made a playlist today covering '61 to '06, and it clocked in at 105 songs and 8 and a half hours! I think a couple of Dylan days are in order soon. [:)]

Monkey Wrench -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 12:44:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Venkman

Bob Dylan is a legend and the quality of his back catalogue should be the motivation for new artists to not rest on their laurels once they have had one hit album.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment! How many bands out there keep conforming to the law of diminishing returns thinking that their formula is fine as it is? Most of them! What if our heroes like Bob would have done the same, eh?!

And Nashville Skyline is BEAUTIFUL, in the most intense form of that word.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 1:21:19 AM)

Apparently, Bob thinks of his newest resurgence as part of a trilogy that started with "Love & Theft" instead of Time Out Of Mind, so hopefully one more great album coming up next.

Venkman -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 2:48:12 PM)

quote:

Apparently, Bob thinks of his newest resurgence as part of a trilogy that started with "Love & Theft" instead of Time Out Of Mind, so hopefully one more great album coming up next.

That's interesting, I just hope there isn't a five year gap between Modern Times and the next album like there was between Love and Theft and Modern Times but I'm not expecting a new album anytime in the foreseeable future as we are still awaiting Chronicles part 2

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 3:04:08 PM)

I hadn't thought of Chronicles, to be honest. Part one was really fascinating, lets hope he mentions his mid-'60's and mid-'70's. Mind you, 2005/06 was a pretty hectic year with No Direction Home and Chronicles (appearing in Victoria's Secret ad as well) so he might have a bit of spare time on his hands.

Here's hoping The Never Ending Tour lives up to it's name and he comes back to Britain next year. I missed him last year, and he's basically the one of the only great '60's survivors still making good albums. How many legends exactly tour everywhere?!

straight2dvd -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 5:20:32 PM)

quote:

quote:

I just can't find anything in Dylans vocals that makes me think the music is great. I do own " Free Wheelin'" however. I guess I am much more at home with actual singers.

Monkey Wrench -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 5:37:32 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

I just can't find anything in Dylans vocals that makes me think the music is great. I do own " Free Wheelin'" however. I guess I am much more at home with actual singers.

How can his vocal delivery detract in any sense to how great he is? Does it dilute what he plays and what he might necessarily say? I'm intrigued! His nasally tones can't affect your perception on his clarity and articulation that much, can they? I'm not having a go, I'm just asking.

Edit: I have taken into account that fact that you're "more at home with actual singers", I'm just wondering whether other aspects such as what singers might say and the subtleties of their deliveries might be less impactive to you than just how beautiful they might sing it. And I'm also wondering why you might categorise Dylan as "not an actual singer", given his obvious prominence as a "singer/songwriter". Like I said, I'm not having a go. I really am just intrigued.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 5:57:30 PM)

Ah, this argument is as old as the hills. May I direct the curious towards his duet with Johnny Cash on Girl From The North Country from Nashville Skyline or Sheter From The Storm from Blood On The Tracks. Tell me that's not a good voice! I think someone's voice shouldn't be a barrier anyway, as long as he communicated the general feeling he's going for. I'd take his croak over Enya's whale sounds anyday.

chauncey -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 6:10:22 PM)

Dylan is an absolute genius; anyone that disagrees is either deaf or stupid.

The new compilation is depressing as hell for real fans, we have all that stuff. Release Supper Club 93 officially!

The following are essential: Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blone, Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft.
Not forgetting Live 66, Live 75.

Tom Waits said discovering Dylan is like discovering a new planet. A whole universe.

Looking forward to the Haynes movie, he's a real Dylan enthusiast.

Venkman -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 7:39:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chauncey

Dylan is an absolute genius; anyone that disagrees is either deaf or stupid.

The new compilation is depressing as hell for real fans, we have all that stuff. Release Supper Club 93 officially!

The following are essential: Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blone, Blood on the Tracks, Desire, Oh Mercy, Time Out of Mind and Love & Theft.
Not forgetting Live 66, Live 75.

Tom Waits said discovering Dylan is like discovering a new planet. A whole universe.

Looking forward to the Haynes movie, he's a real Dylan enthusiast.

I would add Modern Times to that list, the more you listen to it, the more you realise how good it is and I would personally place it higher than Love and Theft

straight2dvd -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 9:07:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

How can his vocal delivery detract in any sense to how great he is? Does it dilute what he plays and what he might necessarily say? I'm intrigued! His nasally tones can't affect your perception on his clarity and articulation that much, can they? I'm not having a go, I'm just asking.

Edit: I have taken into account that fact that you're "more at home with actual singers", I'm just wondering whether other aspects such as what singers might say and the subtleties of their deliveries might be less impactive to you than just how beautiful they might sing it. And I'm also wondering why you might categorise Dylan as "not an actual singer", given his obvious prominence as a "singer/songwriter". Like I said, I'm not having a go. I really am just intrigued.

Ok, I should have been more acute in my original reply as obviously you've taken some offense to what I have said. I've listened to an awful lot of Dylans work and I happen to think as a general lyricist, he is a genius and I love how autobiographical his work is. I, however, can't get to grips with his voice as I think he doesn't have a good singing voice and it definately detracts from the music for me as some of his albums, musically, are fantastic. I am not at home with singers who sound very nasal in their delivery. I know this isn't a strong enough argument for not liking someones music but I respect a persons singing as much as the music and with Dylan, for me, it is a case of one without the other. However, not all his music is unkind to my ears. I like Blonde on Blonde, Bringing It All Back Home, Blood On The Tracks, The Basement Tapes, etc. I'm not overally qualified to give a perfect opinion on him as his discography is way too vast for me. I don't see "Legend" when I think of Dylan. I grew up on punk, rock, soul and Jazz so my idea of traditional singers can be torn apart too.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (11/10/2007 10:43:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Venkman

I would add Modern Times to that list, the more you listen to it, the more you realise how good it is and I would personally place it higher than Love and Theft

Modern Times is good, but it's hard to choose, because of his latest three albums, I'd say "Love & Theft" was strongest lyrically, and his band at that period was one of his best - Oscar-winning! Ain't Talkin', from Modern Times, though, has to be one of my favourites of all his work.

Monkey Wrench -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 12:03:31 AM)

quote:

Ok, I should have been more acute in my original reply as obviously you've taken some offense to what I have said. I've listened to an awful lot of Dylans work and I happen to think as a general lyricist, he is a genius and I love how autobiographical his work is. I, however, can't get to grips with his voice as I think he doesn't have a good singing voice and it definately detracts from the music for me as some of his albums, musically, are fantastic. I am not at home with singers who sound very nasal in their delivery. I know this isn't a strong enough argument for not liking someones music but I respect a persons singing as much as the music and with Dylan, for me, it is a case of one without the other. However, not all his music is unkind to my ears. I like Blonde on Blonde, Bringing It All Back Home, Blood On The Tracks, The Basement Tapes, etc. I'm not overally qualified to give a perfect opinion on him as his discography is way too vast for me. I don't see "Legend" when I think of Dylan. I grew up on punk, rock, soul and Jazz so my idea of traditional singers can be torn apart too.

Okay I can understand more of where you're coming from now. And I can also understand (to a degree) why people might find Dylan's nasally tones affecting their level of investment in his music. I mean, there's really only him and the guitar most of the time and to some people it might be quite difficult appreciating most of the music if they like only 50% of the integral ingredients. No matter what people say, there's always a reason whether you like something or not and it's so important that people understand why. And please don't think I took offense because I didn't! I know how attacking I can sound when really all I want to do is find out more about people's reasons and the whys and wherefores.

foz -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 12:04:45 AM)

I'm Not There 2 -disc soundtrack released on Oct 29 (or the 30th if you happen to be some sort of American).  Full track listing in the Soundtracks bit of the forum that I posted about a month or so ago, amost certainly worth buying for the Mark Lanegan track alone.

straight2dvd -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 8:45:14 AM)

quote:

quote:

Okay I can understand more of where you're coming from now. And I can also understand (to a degree) why people might find Dylan's nasally tones affecting their level of investment in his music. I mean, there's really only him and the guitar most of the time and to some people it might be quite difficult appreciating most of the music if they like only 50% of the integral ingredients. No matter what people say, there's always a reason whether you like something or not and it's so important that people understand why. And please don't think I took offense because I didn't! I know how attacking I can sound when really all I want to do is find out more about people's reasons and the whys and wherefores.

I'm glad I made some sense. Ha Ha. Another reason why I don't rate Dylan is that I don't think he is particuarly inventive in the style of music he has commited to record. I think he should try more eleccric rock than folk/accoustic.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 9:04:01 AM)

Wow - Cat Power, Sonic Youth, The Hold Steady. That soundtrack does sound good.

Monkey Wrench - you should know better. Dylan has only been solo acoustic on record for two whole albums since 1964, World Gone Wrong and Good As I Been To You in the early '90's, the rest of the time he has been backed by a band.

hozay -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 9:29:45 AM)

quote:

Ah, this argument is as old as the hills. May I direct the curious towards his duet with Johnny Cash on Girl From The North Country from Nashville Skyline or Sheter From The Storm from Blood On The Tracks. Tell me that's not a good voice! I think someone's voice shouldn't be a barrier anyway, as long as he communicated the general feeling he's going for. I'd take his croak over Enya's whale sounds anyday.

It's an absolute joy to watch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPpxwjsP76E

Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever born.His influence cannot be ignored.He is also the most covered recording artist in the history of modern music.He's the reason I first picked up a guitar and his songs are the first I learned to play.Love the guy.I've never had a problem with his voice but I can understand those who do,it's far from perfect but it's so expressive and his phrasing so unique and anyway what was he supposed to do,write all those amazing songs and just hand them over to others to sing?
I'd rave on about him some more but Scorsese has done all the work already.Watch his No Direction Home:Bob Dylan it's fascinating.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 11:27:59 AM)

Damn it! You can't download Brownsville Girl as a standalone track... bugger. I'm enjoying Blood In My Eyes from the early '90's, though, nice little acoustic ditty. Anybody else have a favourite obscure Dylan track?

Venkman -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 11:43:06 AM)

quote:

Damn it! You can't download Brownsville Girl as a standalone track... bugger. I'm enjoying Blood In My Eyes from the early '90's, though, nice little acoustic ditty. Anybody else have a favourite obscure Dylan track?

I love the video to Blood in my eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2YX1yRWGw

One of my favourite tracks is 'License to Kill' from Infidels and this is brilliant...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sVdeg8dzb4

Larry of Arabia -> RE: Bob Dylan (12/10/2007 11:56:27 AM)

Can't believe he left Blind Willie McTell off Infidels! Saying that, it doesn't really sound like anything else on there. The video for Things Have Changed is good as well - what's he doing with a hamburger?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQDeYzUkXOU

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI