Could There Really Be A Serenity Sequel? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Could There Really Be A Serenity Sequel? (4/10/2007 10:57:39 AM)

Post your comments on this article

AquaDragon2K -> Sequel To Serenity (4/10/2007 10:57:39 AM)

Bring it on!!!!!!! I thought the film was fab and Firelfly was a great show even though it was booted after one brilliant season.

Villain -> (4/10/2007 11:06:51 AM)

Please, please, please, please let it happen. Also I reckon Tudyk could easily be in it, Joss is the king of brilliantly woven in flashbacks. Surely Book would be back too, in some shape, form or flashback. Bizzarely, only yesterday I was wondering if this would ever happen and thinking that, if it ever was going to, it would more than likely be now or never given the sE DVD release. Shiny.

jackcarter -> YAWHN (4/10/2007 11:09:55 AM)

YAWHHHN

oh ghad ...is that the time

JagLover -> RE: Could There Really Be A Serenity Sequel? (4/10/2007 11:20:26 AM)

It may not have done well at the box office, but I suppose it is possible its made a profit after DVD sales. It was after all a comparatively low budget movie.

I would love for this story to be true since I loved Firefly and Serenity.

However I have a feeling that is just another wild rumour.

darth silas -> Just let it go.. (4/10/2007 11:23:41 AM)

I think it would be better to just let it go..I liked Firefly,but found Serenity to be a snoozefest.

beverage42 -> Please be true! (4/10/2007 11:31:47 AM)

I cannot fathom why Serenity didn't do well at the box office. I thought it was awesome and I went in without having watched Firefly so it wasn't like I was going to like it either way. It deserves a sequel.

britesparc -> Here's hoping! (4/10/2007 11:36:10 AM)

Serenity is amazing, Firefly is amazing, and I really, really hope they bring the franchise back from the dead - whether as a film or tv series, I don't care.
And as for why the film pretty much flopped, I think the answer is that another quite big sci-fi film came out that summer, if you'll remember... although Serenity was better, and had a much better space battle sequence, it was squashed at the BO.

Blunderbuss -> There is precedent here (4/10/2007 11:48:56 AM)

Serenity would not be the first film to get a sequel after tanking at the box office but then going gangbusters in what are called 'residuals' (e.g. DVD/Cable etc.). Think of the first Austin Powers movie...negligble BO, amazing video and DVD sales, presto, two successful sequels...

Moreover, with the Serenity DVD (and Firefly boxed sets) having broadened awareness of the show, Universal could probably expect a quicker initial return on any sequel, rather than the slow burn returns of the first movie and the TV show.

Anyone disagree? Go on, I double-dare ya.....

shool -> Heres hoping (4/10/2007 11:54:58 AM)

Loved Serenity, really hope they do get the sequel off the ground.

BluesBoy -> Yes Please! Please! PLEASE! (4/10/2007 12:13:01 PM)

Dear Buddha, I want a pony, a plastic rocket AND A SEQUEL TO SERENITY!

danbo1138 -> yerss perlease (4/10/2007 12:16:49 PM)

oh g on ,i could go another round with the crew,what about a few tv specials?then relese them on dvd?

Teamwak -> Mixed feelings. (4/10/2007 12:39:42 PM)

I LOVE Firefly & Serenity, but after he killed Wash and Book off, then whats the point now? Book was supposed to have an ace backstory involving The Allience, but kablooie! No more Book! Oh well! whedon still rules!

Amezzeray -> Actually worth a sequel!! (4/10/2007 12:47:49 PM)

yaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!

even if there ARE mixed feelings about this, there are many films that dont deserve sequels (YOU KNOW WHAT i MEAN!!) hell, not many films deserve to be actually made (especially from a TV show!!)

it deserves another chance!!!

xxxxxxx

The Tingler -> (4/10/2007 12:54:35 PM)

One word - "flashbacks". Or failing that, just having a multiple timelines story, a bit like that 'Out of Gas' episode.

hughjass -> RE: Please be true! (4/10/2007 1:04:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: beverage42

I cannot fathom why Serenity didn't do well at the box office. I thought it was awesome and I went in without having watched Firefly so it wasn't like I was going to like it either way. It deserves a sequel.

IMHO, poor marketing by Universal stifled it's chances. It was moved to the back end of the Summer stateside and over here there were no trailers running at key times. It should have been trailed Mid-summer before the likes of War of the Worlds that year.

callumcostello -> It simply refuses to die - and thats why I love it so (4/10/2007 1:08:23 PM)

Total credit to the die-hard fanbase of this project that they are even talking about it. I doubt they will make it, I don't think Whedon can take another disappointment personally and professionally, but its got to be one of the most intelligent and diverse storyworlds in Hollywood, and producers must understand that while this is a commercial liability, the fans have unfinished buisiness with a film. Something which is all too rare I think.

Hollywood has a little movie magic left in it. So I'll believe that it could happen....heres to a Book backstory, explanation of Blue Sun and an epic sequal where the alliance strikes back....go on Joss you know you wanna....

Deviation -> RE: It simply refuses to die - and thats why I love it so (4/10/2007 1:16:49 PM)

Please let it be true. Please let it be true. Please let it be true. Please let it be true. Please let it be true. Please let it be true.

[sm=51.gif]

jofrizzy -> Please don't tease (4/10/2007 1:20:14 PM)

How do we put pressure on them to do it?

Teamwak -> Ah, Out Of Gas (4/10/2007 1:22:55 PM)

What an episode! "They make you share a bunk?"

El-Branden Brazil -> I LOVE SERENITY! (4/10/2007 1:23:56 PM)

I loved Serenity. I had never seen Firefly, so I had no idea what it was about, but what a treat. If only the Star Trek movies and Star Wars prequels could be as much fun, and of such imagination and scale.

.....Last week, my Firefly box set arrived..... Everything I loved about the movie was all there for fourteen fantastic hours of brilliant Sci-Fi! Why did this show get cancelled?

Timon -> RE: There is precedent here (4/10/2007 1:29:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

Serenity would not be the first film to get a sequel after tanking at the box office but then going gangbusters in what are called 'residuals' (e.g. DVD/Cable etc.). Think of the first Austin Powers movie...negligble BO, amazing video and DVD sales, presto, two successful sequels...

Moreover, with the Serenity DVD (and Firefly boxed sets) having broadened awareness of the show, Universal could probably expect a quicker initial return on any sequel, rather than the slow burn returns of the first movie and the TV show.

Anyone disagree? Go on, I double-dare ya.....

It's a good point but Austin Powers had a name attached to it. Mike Meyers was already known for Wayne's World so it naturally found an audience. Sure Firefly/Serenity is familiar to lovers of all things sci-fi but the lack of a 'big' name can also be seen as the reason why it didn't do too well. Also it was Joss Weedon's first film and unless you're familiar with his tv backlogue, he's not exactly a household name to Joe Average.

DTV sequel is the way to go a la Battlestar Galatica: Razor and I'd be first in line to pick it up.

Tim_Bisley -> Too Crule (4/10/2007 1:38:36 PM)

It would be too crule not to be true Brown Coats unite !

Steorra -> Whedon on Wash and Book.... (4/10/2007 2:32:09 PM)

When the film premiered at the Edinburgh Film Festival a couple of years ago Joss Whedon said that the sequels he envisioned did involve both Book and Wash in some way. Of course he didn't actually give any hints about what kind of involvement that might be.

I'm going to be keeping my digits crossed that this goes ahead.

His Dudeness -> Edam Memory (4/10/2007 2:40:54 PM)

Sorry comrades, but I've totally forgotten how the film ends? I remember Wash getting splattered and River going all chosen one, but can't exactly remember the ending. I'd watched the tv series before the film so I'm quite disappointed in myself, maybe I should borrow it again or wait for it to show up on sky action

Timon -> RE: Whedon on Wash and Book.... (4/10/2007 2:41:47 PM)

I'm putting my money on evil twins.

That's another thing, Weedon did so many 'fan screenings' in the build up to screening that by the time it came out, most of the die hard fan base had seen it already. If he had curbed those screenings, me reckons it would have stormed to No.1.

His Dudeness -> RE: Whedon on Wash and Book.... (4/10/2007 2:49:50 PM)

Just thought maybe they could bring Wash back as some sort of Hologram a la Rimmer from Red Dwarf

deckard1984 -> Prequel Would Work!! (4/10/2007 2:56:44 PM)

What if the next movie were to explain what happened between the end of firefly and the beginning of the movie. Why did book in firefly have a super secret pass and how the shit did he get on the planet where he died. There is so much you can do!!!

His Dudeness -> RE: Whedon on Wash and Book.... (4/10/2007 2:58:15 PM)

That was meant to have been joke in my previous post, but when reading back it looked like I was being serious.. sorry just clearing that up.

Dave B -> RE: Whedon on Wash and Book.... (4/10/2007 4:05:03 PM)

I really want to be excited by this but until I hear official confirmation from Universal or Whedon I'm not giving my hopes up.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI