Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

torres9 -> Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (28/8/2007 12:58:49 PM)

Has anyone else caught the teaser trailers that have been showing on FX for the last month or so? I'm quite looking forward to seeing this new sci-fi show. Is anyone else going to watch it?

discodave101 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (28/8/2007 1:12:02 PM)

I've just been fast forwarding this advert during Dexter, what is it and is it supposed to be good?

torres9 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (28/8/2007 4:02:48 PM)

I know very little about it but it has a good reputation in Canada where it's been shown.

highlight to read but be careful it features spoilers I've only glanced at it so not to be spoiled....

quote:

There are three parallel, alternate realities:

The alphaverse, a slightly dystopian view of what our future could be like. It is dominated by five gigantic multinational firms. Prime among these is a corporation called Vex-Cor.
The betaverse, which corresponds to our present day actual reality, "one half hour from now."
The gammaverse, a rather idyllic version of our world, what it would be like if the planet's inhabitants made careful use of its resources.
During the pilot episode, scientists from Vex-Cor attempt to open a wormhole from the alpha-verse to the gamma-verse in a bid to drain water from the latter to the former. In Gammaverse, terrorists Bern and Reena -- aware of Vex-Cor's intent -- prepare to sabotage the facility. Before the stable wormhole can be completed, a massive explosion at the site of the portal (a large open air water reservoir) leads to a chain reaction explosion that moves through all three universes. This results in Charlie being thrown from alphaverse into the betaverse, into a different Cape Town that he is unfamiliar with. Would-be terrorist Reena is also thrown into the Betaverse.

The explosion renders the "link" between universes impassable, which leaves Vex-Cor employees in Beta and Gamma cut off from their head office in Alpha.

Vex-Cor attempts to rebuild the link, and re-establish contact. At the same time, they must deal with the P.R. fallout from the explosion, and must try to conceal the true purpose of the facility and what the company was up to. Suspicion initially falls on a Vex-Cor Scientist named Elliot Krogg -- but eventually, they discover Reena is in Cape Town, and target her as the terrorist behind the explosion.

Vex-Cor's attempts to cover their tracks are complicated by Charlie Jade's presence in Beta -- and the fact that he soon hooks up with Karl Lubinsky, an expatriate American who runs a conspiracy website devoted to tracking all things Vex-Cor.

Together, Charlie and Karl gradually divine Vex-Cor's true intentions -- and also uncover a terrible secret promoted by Vex-Cor's doomed scientist, Elliot Krogg. Krogg wrote a memo to Vex-Cor HQ detailing a possible catastrophic effect to establishing a long-term link from Alpha to Gamma. If the link is made permanent, it will collapse all matter in the Betaverse, destroying everyone and everything in 'our' world. Karl and Charlie are the only things that stand between our world's annihilation.

Meanwhile, with travel between the universes cut off -- Vex-Cor Alpha must turn to the one person who can travel without a link: the son of company founder Brion Boxer, 01.

01 Boxer is made company courier by Essa Rompkin, CEO of Vex-Cor. He travels by an unknown method that involves dousing himself with water and "slipping" between universes. The method of travel is mysterious, but it results in changes to body chemistry. In later episodes, 01 Boxer's blood is used to transfuse, and revitalize his father, who is sick from some genetic malady -- perhaps as a result of too much travel between universes.

01 is a fascinating case, as he seems to manifest a different personality in each universe. In Alpha he acts like a spoiled child, in Beta he is a hedonistic adolescent, and in Gamma he is a loving husband and father to two children. 01's motivations are mysterious -- he can seem like a villain, but he is definitely
following his own agenda

elab49 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (28/8/2007 8:53:01 PM)

It is far from new - must be at least a couple of years old now - and not really that great, IMO. It tries hard for the noir tone but fails quite badly on pretty poor cliched plotting. I downloaded 5 or 6 episodes by giving it up as a bad case - pretty atrocious all in. Like one of those z budget movies on SF half the time.

torres9 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (29/8/2007 3:49:22 PM)

It's new to the UK and most of the series premiering on FX have been superb so I'm looking forward to it. Elab I do hope you're wrong although we'll find out soon enough.

elab49 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (30/8/2007 9:13:21 AM)

FX do have a pretty good record - full kudos to a channel that takes both The Wire and Dexter. [:D]

I'd have thought they'd have bought something like Intelligence - a superior Canadian series that aspires to The Wire more than anything. Instead Hallmark transmitted it - probably cut on there too [:@]. I'd love them to buy Slings and Arrows too, although I've noticed to now turns up after midnight on occasion on Sky Arts. Lots of good Canadian stuff out there.

torres9 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (10/10/2007 1:16:17 PM)

Well did anyone see the first episode on Friday?

I watched it over the weekend and really enjoyed the first episode. It looks like Charlie Jade is going to be a very good series and I can't wait to see how the story develops. You can tell they don't have a lot of money yet they have managed to make it look extremely stylish, very reminiscent of Blade Runner. All in all a very good pilot and looks like another great acquisition for FX.

torres9 -> RE: Charlie Jade coming soon to FX (12/10/2007 5:52:32 PM)

Just a reminder that Charlie Jade is on tonight with a behind the scenes programme at half past seven followed by the show at 8 o'clock.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI