RE: Everton (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

theram05 -> RE: Everton (17/8/2007 3:51:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carlito Brigante

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

This might actually be the worst thread I've ever seen.
OK this is starting to sound like a clise.Must everytime i start a thread someone post that is the worst thread he ever seen?Give me a break...

You'll do a lot better, if you dont bring up up tragedys like Heysel. Its a long time gone, the world and especially the world of football is a very different place now. Whats done is done, and while nobody will forget, its best left in peace, with the body's of the fallen.

Carlito Brigante -> RE: Everton (18/8/2007 8:17:31 PM)

OK no need for panic.We were going to lost a match sooner or later...

Lets hope Chelsea will have better luck tommorow...[image]http://www.empireonline.com/forum/micons/m11.gif[/image]

Harry Lime -> RE: Everton (19/8/2007 12:44:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

[image]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/pablohoolio/039_42498Chips-Posters.jpg[/image]

Fuck me. Mikel Arteta has aged well!!!

Harry Lime. The other Everton fan. All present and correct.

Ok. My opinion. First of all Heysel. I must confess that I still feel a pang of grievance over the repercussions of the disaster. Not because I hate Liverpool but simply because the banning of English clubs in Europe denied us a shot at the European glory during the very period when we were at our peak. We won the league and the Cup Winners Cup in 1985 (and reached the FA Cup Final) and then found ourselves shut out. I still believe this ban also led to our decline in the late 80's and 90's (er, as well as the tactical shitness of Colin Harvey and Mike Wanker). However, as has been pointed out, the Heysel disaster was simply a final straw in a succession of hooliganism that had plagued our game for over a decade. If Liverpool were seen to be prime exponents of this, maybe it was because they were so bloody successful that at times they seemed to spend more time on the continent than in England!!! However they were not the only ones.

Right. This season. I must admit that my pre-season negativity of a few weeks ago has given way to more rational optimism. I do not think we will break the top four this year but I certainly feel that we should consilidate our UEFA placing. A top 6 or 7 finish is not only well within our capabilities but it should be demanded. We may have the smallest squad in the Premiership but David Moyes has assembled a side that has a good work ethic, excellent team spirit and, most importantly, plays damn good football. We took four points off both Liverpool and Arsenal last season and I see no reason why we can't do even better if we get a head of steam behind us.

We've got some of the most promising young English players in game with Jolean Lescott, Leighton Baines, Leon Osman and James Vaughan, not to mention Victor Anichebe who Stuart Pearce is trying to convince to join our U-21 set-up. We've got a solid pair of hands with Tim Howard, experience in Joseph Yobo, Lee Carsley, Alan Stubbs and Phil Neville, a prolific (when fit) goal-scoring midfielder in Tim Cahill and, in Mikel Arteta, we have arguably the most naturally gifted playmaker on Merseyside. The arrival of Manuel Fernandes will only serve to compliment Arteta. And of course we have Andy Johnson; a proven goalscorer who has pace, can seize on a half chance and leads the line tirelessly. If we do get Yakubu to partner him and they do strike up a partnership then we could have one of the most potent forward lines in the Premiership.

I don't expect us to win anything this year (a UEFA finish in the Premiership, a last 16 run in the UEFA Cup, Quarter-finals of the FA Cup and our annual 4-0 defeat to Shrewsbury in the 3rd round of the Carling Cup) but I do expect us to both ruffle a few feathers and gain a few more admirers for our football along the way.

Carlito Brigante -> RE: Everton (20/8/2007 8:26:55 PM)

Does anyone knows when the Uefa Cup draw is?

pablohoolio -> RE: Everton (20/8/2007 10:53:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

[image]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j20/pablohoolio/039_42498Chips-Posters.jpg[/image]

Fuck me. Mikel Arteta has aged well!!!

Harry Lime. The other Everton fan. All present and correct.

Ok. My opinion. First of all Heysel. I must confess that I still feel a pang of grievance over the repercussions of the disaster. Not because I hate Liverpool but simply because the banning of English clubs inEurope denied us a shot at the European glory during the very period when we were at our peak. We won the league and the Cup Winners Cup in 1985 (and reached the FA Cup Final) and then found ourselves shut out. I still believe this ban also led to our decline in the late 80's and 90's (er, as well as the tactical shitness of Colin Harvey and Mike Wanker). However, as has been pointed out, the Heysel disaster was simply a final straw in a succession of hooliganism that had plagued our game for over a decade. If Liverpool were seen to be prime exponents of this, maybe it was because they were so bloody successful that at times they seemed to spend more time on the continent than in England!!! However they were not the only ones.

Right. This season. I must admit that my pre-season negativity of a few weeks ago has given way to more rational optimism. I do not think we will break the top four this year but I certainly feel that we should consilidate our UEFA placing. A top 6 or 7 finish is not only well within our capabilities but it should be demanded. We may have the smallest squad in the Premiership but David Moyes has assembled a side thathas a good work ethic, excellent team spirit and, most importantly,plays damn good football. We took four points off both Liverpool and Arsenallast season and I see no reason why we can't do even better if we get a head of steam behind us.

We've got some of the most promising young English players ingame with Jolean Lescott, Leighton Baines, Leon Osmanand James Vaughan, not to mention Victor Anichebe who Stuart Pearce is trying to convince to join our U-21 set-up. We've got a solid pair of hands with Tim Howard, experience in Joseph Yobo, Lee Carsley, Alan Stubbs and Phil Neville, a prolific (when fit) goal-scoring midfielder in Tim Cahill and, in Mikel Arteta, we have arguably the most naturally giftedplaymaker on Merseyside. The arrival of Manuel Fernandes will only serve to compliment Arteta. And of course we have Andy Johnson; a proven goalscorer who has pace, can seize on a half chance and leads the line tirelessly. If we do get Yakubu to partner him and they do strike up a partnership then we could have one of the most potent forward lines in the Premiership.

I don't expect us to win anything this year (a UEFA finish in the Premiership, a last 16 run in the UEFA Cup, Quarter-finals of the FA Cup and our annual 4-0 defeat to Shrewsbury in the3rd round of the Carling Cup) but I do expect us to both ruffle a few feathers and gain a few more admirers for our football along the way.

Excellent post Harry. Even for an Evertonian!
[;)]

Talking to my brother (even if he is in Australia!) he says the same about Howard. I agree, Everton have a great nucleaus of players. If they get Yakubu, a midfield of Fernades, Cahill, Arteta and Carsley is a good one, and Johnson and Yakubu up front is a nice forward line. Contrary to most Liverpool fans, I don't hate Everton because of my idiotic family supporting them (they're just not as bright as me! [;)]).

My dad used to take me to Gladys Street when I was little until that stupid cow that used to throw the Everton mints into the crowd hit me bullseye in the forehead with one (a boiled sweet too!). So I fucked them off and did a 'Gerrard'!! Well, I was only 6!!

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Everton (20/8/2007 11:03:49 PM)

Now how's that saying go again?

Once a blue............

pablohoolio -> RE: Everton (21/8/2007 1:41:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

Now how's that saying go again?

Once a blue............

...always a red?
[;)]

Harry Lime -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 12:59:47 AM)

Looks like Everton have finally secured Yakubu! The BBC are reporting that we have agreed a fee of 11.25m with Middlesbrough.

Not sure what has happened with the Manuel Fernandes transfer though. Moyes claimed that the transfer would have been completed last weekend and a fee had been agreed but since then, nothing. I'm actually a little unsure about this signing actually. I think he's a great little player but he's part-owned by an agent and half-owned by Benfica. The last thing our club needs is even a whiff of the sort of controversy that has surrounded the Carlos Tevez saga for the last year.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 9:50:51 AM)

quote:

Looks like Everton have finally secured Yakubu! The BBC are reporting that we have agreed a fee of 11.25m with Middlesbrough.

Not sure what has happened with the Manuel Fernandes transfer though. Moyes claimed that the transfer would have been completed last weekend and a fee had been agreed but since then, nothing. I'm actually a little unsure about this signing actually. I think he's a great little player but he's part-owned by an agent and half-owned by Benfica. The last thing our club needs is even a whiff of the sort of controversy that has surrounded the Carlos Tevez saga for the last year.

Its  a different arrangement though Harry.  The silent partner owns 50% of his contract but they can't move him on.   West Hams problems were because they said MSI didn't have the right to sell him without their permission when obviously they did. This is what breaks premier league rules.

Toby Monroe -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 9:55:53 AM)

I think they're waiting to complete the capture of Yakubu before they officially announce the signing Mani F. A double celebration, to up the feel-good factor.

11.25 is a lot for Yakubu.

theram05 -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 9:56:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

I think they're waiting to complete the capture of Yakubu before they officially announce the signing Mani F. A double celebration, to up the feel-good factor.

To be fair, if Bent is worth 16mill............

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 9:57:27 AM)

quote:

I heard it was a total of 11.25  i.e. with all the add ons.

Personally I think 11 Million is a steal especially when Bent was 16.

Beat me to it Rammy

theram05 -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 9:58:20 AM)

quote:

quote:

I heard it was a total of 11.25  i.e. with at the add ons.

Personally I think 11 Million is a steal especially when Bent was 18.

Snap! [:D]

Felix -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 10:09:55 AM)

quote:

quote:

Beat me to it Rammy

I dont know, that sounds about right to me...

jay13 -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 10:15:26 AM)

i'm an Evertonian, but Carlito scared me :P

Personally i think 11mill is too much for yakubu, but i could be wrong. Hes a strong player and will do well to hold up play for Johnson.

Blackburn at the weekend, predictions anyone?

theram05 -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 10:24:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

quote:

Beat me to it Rammy

I dont know, that sounds about right to me...

You think 16 mill was fair for Bent? I think Yak at 11 is far better value myself, I know which one I would have wanted the silver haired fox to sign.

Flatulent_Bob -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 10:25:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05
You think 16 mill was fair for Bent? I think Yak at 11 is far better value myself, I know which one I would have wanted the silver haired fox to sign.

Read my post.  Then think about Felix's sense of humour then read it again.

theram05 -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 10:29:46 AM)

Felix, sense of humour?

Does not compute.

Toby Monroe -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 5:40:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

Beat me to it Rammy

In direct comparison to the Bent fee, then yes, it does seem cheap. But that was a bravado buy by Spurs. They were flexing the their financial muscle, as a statement of intent. A bit like when a lion pisses on another lion's shrub. Pretenders to the top four throne. But like that urinating usurper Spurs will be fended off by the usual suspects, and finish outside the top 4, and then the Bent fee will seem even more extravagant than it does now.

11m for the Yak is a lot if you're Everton.

Rinc -> RE: Everton (23/8/2007 8:46:30 PM)

I think Yakubu is a great signing even at that price. He's strong, fast and powerful and will guarantee you goals. If he can score as many as he has at Boro then he'll score far more at Everton where he's got Johnson doing all the hard work and Arteta's passing.

Toby Monroe -> RE: Everton (24/8/2007 8:52:07 AM)

So, myself and the astute Jay13 raise the proverbial eyebrow at this potential signing, and the non-Everton fans think it's a good deal?

Optimism among Evertonians is in short supply when comes to signing forwards it would seem. 

Felix -> RE: Everton (24/8/2007 9:52:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

Felix, sense of humour?

Does not compute.

Mods have feelings too you know... [:(]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Everton (27/8/2007 2:56:42 PM)

quote:

Not sure what has happened with the Manuel Fernandes transfer though.

Looks like he came over, saw that he'd have to play the likes of Blackburn Rovers and fekked off to Valencia.  Maybe the shopping's better in Spain.

jay13 -> RE: Everton (20/9/2007 2:08:27 PM)

Raar i'll be there tonight, hopefully get a good result.

But now i have to go down to the buggering box office to pick up my tickets

Anyone else going?

Harry Lime -> RE: Everton (20/9/2007 10:24:03 PM)

How the hell did we not win that game?

pablohoolio -> RE: Everton (20/9/2007 10:29:32 PM)

Nice to hear Kevin Ratcliffe call the opposition 'Metatarsal'....and he wasn't joking.
[:D][&:]

jacktorrance -> RE: Everton (20/9/2007 10:30:54 PM)

quote:

How the hell did we not win that game?

Hoofing penalties over the bar may have had something to do with it! 

Toby Monroe -> RE: Everton (21/9/2007 8:09:19 AM)

There are 4 reasons as to why they didn't win, and they are (in no particular order): Hibbert, Osman, Carsley, and Neville. All have an inability to pass to a team mate.

I didn't go to the game so I had to watch it on channel 5. John Barnes is brilliant!

John_P -> RE: Everton (21/9/2007 3:20:41 PM)

can't believe Everton didn't win last night, Johnson shouldn't have taken the second (or third) penalty.

[image]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w175/TeepDMe/europe.jpg[/image]

Harry Lime -> RE: Everton (11/11/2007 10:56:35 PM)

[image]http://www.foxsports.com.au/common/imagedata/0,5001,5746250,00.jpg[/image]

Great result today. The season is coming together nicely and the summer signings seem to be settling in. Yakubu seems to have finally understood the meaning of workrate, Piennar and Jalgielka both look very solid and, when he has been fit, Baines has looked the part at left back.

Great to see Tim Cahill back again after a long injury. Arteta is our playmaker but Cahill is just as crucial to our team. I've said it before but he really does remind me of Paul Scholes in the way he just pops up in the right place around the box.

Victor Anichebe has really come of age too. He's so big and strong for a 19 year old. And he's become a bit of a talisman for us in Europe. James McFadden is finally playing to his potential too. He's always had the skill but he's always seemed a bit lightweight in previous seasons. Now he's playing with confidence and determination and making an impact.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI