What are you up to? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop

James2183 -> What are you up to? (8/8/2007 1:00:15 PM)

Hopefully this thread becomes quite popular and keeps us up to date on the what's what with the Empire forum members.

This forum seems to have become a bit quiet of late, hopefully it is because we are all too busy on projects to post here. So fellow Empire filmmakers, what are you currently working on? Are you knee deep in your latest short/feature film? Editing a music video? Writing your entry for the Empire Script Challenge? Tell us what you are up to? [:D]

Since I am the thread starter it is probably best that I start off [;)] Other than shooting losts of footage for the musuem films I have been hired to help make I am just about to start editing a short film that showcases my sisters prom that took place a few weeks back. As well as this I am currently 18/20 pages into a feature script that sets its feet firmly within the thriller genre. I have been planning it for nearly a year now on and off and have finally taken the plunge (after plotting out the story) to get down and write the thing.

So now it is over to you guys. [:D]

oui3d -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (8/8/2007 2:51:25 PM)

Not as much as i should be:
In the Slooooow process (entirely my own doing) of editing my first feature. Got a rough edit
Issues with sound (processing due to technical hiccups)
I really don't want to be the one doing the sound editing (Foley etc..)
and that i didn't stand my ground in terms of what i wanted - DP as opposed to director.
All digital, single location, shot in a week (looks like it sometimes)
However, the best fun I've had standing up ever!! And will do it again properly!

Tonight: Planning a Pilot for a comedy... TV / Online thing not Fillum

1 Night: Grading and Editing a 4 camera shoot of a play. Yes in that order. Lets hear it for MultiCam in FCP!!!!
Note: (I want DV Drives for cameras to come DOWN in price so I can go straight to edit! I HATE capturing Multi Camera shoots 500 quid for a 40Gig drive? Liberty Takers....)

2 days and 3 nights a week: Doing corporates to pay for equipment...

4 Days a week: My day Job....

zcarstheme -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (8/8/2007 3:16:11 PM)

Rehearsals for still-secret-at-the-moment feature #4, which starts shooting next Tuesday. I'm actually in my little office typing this whilst two of our leads run lines downstairs, (I promised to get out of their hair for half an hour while they worked out a scene).

I'm also in post for a music video that we shot last month, which I need to deliver by Sept 1st. It's the first music video that my company have delivered, and I think it worked out rather well.

Lostsock -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (8/8/2007 9:57:05 PM)

Up to my armpits (no change there) . . . just completed picture, live sound, music dub and title track edit for 2nd edition of a fortnightly continuous production TV series I run (UK Boating on Sky 167), last material shot yesterday, write voice script and links tomorrow first thing, record and dub tomorrow night.

Tomorrow daytime, travel to Gt Yarmouth and Lowestoft, shoot visits to campsites for edition 20 of the other fortnightly continuous production TV series I run (The Caravan Channel on Sky 167), capture it while cooking tea before finishing the dub and render for the first show.

Friday - complete main edit for The Caravan Channel.

Weekend - finish off both, before Monday - train to London to make sure they get there (postal strikes still going on, I think) in plenty of time to ingest for Wednesday premiere.

Wilbert -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (9/8/2007 12:59:18 AM)

Halfway through co-writing a six-part comedy drama with a friend of mine. Prophet_of_Doom was very helpful with some great notes.

Going to start editing a friends feature in about 3-4 weeks.

Trying to plot out a story fot a six part drama.

My band is on a six month break at the moment so using the time to focus on all this stuff more than I have recently.

Neth -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (9/8/2007 2:34:26 PM)

I've got a meeting on Tuesday afternoon with a development executive from the UK Film Council, regarding a script I sent them in June.

I'm shitting it. I'm still not quite sure what I'm meant to be doing there, aside from holding out my cap and asking for some money. And a producer. And a decent budget. And total creative control. And Anne Hathaway's phone number.

Other than that, I'm dicking around with a couple of script ideas and trying to get them into something halfway tangible.

Prophet_of_Doom -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (10/8/2007 2:01:35 AM)

Woo hoo, thanks for the credit Wil [:D]  You know I read your post and kept thinking ... editing a Friends feature ... how on earth did he manage to get that gig?  And surely, that would be huge news, so why haven't I heard anything about it?!  It took me about an hour before I suddenly realise you meant "a friend's feature"!!  Now my brain hurts.

As for what I'm up to ... I'm currently up to my neck in it having accepted a contract for something I really don't know anything about and feeling slightly out of my depth!!!!  (for slightly read very)

Wilbert -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (10/8/2007 9:33:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

Woo hoo, thanks for the credit Wil [:D] You know I read your post and kept thinking ... editing a Friends feature ... how on earth did he manage to get that gig? And surely, that would be huge news, so why haven't I heard anything about it?! It took me about an hour before I suddenly realise you meant "a friend's feature"!! Now my brain hurts.

As for what I'm up to ... I'm currently up to my neck in it having accepted a contract for something I really don't know anything about and feeling slightly out of my depth!!!! (for slightly read very)

[:D][:D][:D]

I wish I could get paid for a gig like that!

Good luck with the new contract!

ollie_jones -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (10/8/2007 11:39:01 AM)

I am currently in post on a series of seven short films about a team of superheroes (of my own creation) They will be each be around the three minute mark and will go up on my website/myspace. I start filming those next wednesday for a week, and then a couple of days in september.

I am in talks to direct a second music video for a birmingham based band called Exploder. If this goes through, It will be my second paid directing gig. An american band called Oxbow has also taken an interet in me making a video for them, however its a long way away and I don't know if it will be worth it in the end.

I am also still in post production of a short I shot last summer, called ohno!monsters which combine live action with animated monsters, robots and zombies. Lots and lots of animation is involved with that so im taking my time.

[image]http://www.betterfeelingfilms.com/images/monsters/monsterstitle.jpg[/image]

I am looking forward to finishing these off by october time so I can get to work on two feature length scripts that I have had buzzing round my heads for a few years. Im getting to a stage where im fed up of making films of my own back, and its now time to really step up a gear, be it seeking out funding, selling scripts, or getting work in some form or another on an actual film/tv set.

Neth -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (10/8/2007 6:32:57 PM)

Ohnomonsters looks very cool, sir. Be sure to let us know how that turns out.

Mikey C -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (10/8/2007 11:04:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Wow! You're going to meet David Schwimmer and Matt le Blanc!!!

Wilbert -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (11/8/2007 12:59:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mikey C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wilbert

Wow! You're going to meet David Schwimmer and Matt le Blanc!!!

Only if I lose my job and have to sign on.

ollie_jones -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (11/8/2007 11:58:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neth

Ohnomonsters looks very cool, sir. Be sure to let us know how that turns out.

Cheers mate, its taking a long time to put together. Original it was supposed to be a 5 min short, kind of ballooned to 15 mins and thats a hell of a lot more animation to do. Might try and pull it back to about 8 though! Ill up load the first half of the zomvbie scene later!

Good luck with your interview and if you get Anne Hathaway's number, be sure to hook a fella up :D

Jackie -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (11/8/2007 2:52:14 PM)

I'm currently sorting out stuff for my short - we're still trying to sort out the funding at the moment, but my producer is super busy so I'm drawing up shot lists and storyboards, etc. while I wait.

Other than that, working on a couple of short scripts and not much else.

Jackie.

oui3d -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (15/8/2007 4:43:54 PM)

Made huge steps in multi camera edit (4 camera shoot cutting in realtime + 10 per hour) then realised that there's 20Mins of uncaptured footage (See Black Quarter of screen in FCP Multicam)

Ordered Lights today! Well.. 1 1K Fresnel for less than 40, 1 UV Bulb and a Bag, Why don't people pay when they say they're going to. Then I'd Have 2 UV Lights to go with the Bulb.
Made a decision based on cheapness (mine) and impatience - delivery by 22 Sept would stretch mine. The UV lights will wait until another invoice gets paid

Have roped friends in to do a little CG work on latest freebie job.
Said "Guys! Do what you like!," then proceeded to tell them what I wanted... I WILL leave them to it.

If Music Video commission (11pm phone call "Errrr yeah It's me. Yeah Do you videos innit." ....Musicians...) pans out then i'm charging.
They nearly made me miss Family Guy...

and Day Job

ollie_jones -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (18/8/2007 11:27:22 AM)

Started my superhero films, so far im pleased with how they are going. I have filmed 3 1/3 of the 7 shorts, as the idea is that each one only takes a day to film and last around 4 mins.

[image]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/oliver_jones_37/RIMG0240.jpg[/image]

Tech_Noir -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (19/8/2007 1:00:09 PM)

Just finished the storyboards for my latest short  film script SOLE, a sci-fi social commentary piece.

Also gonna sort out my application for Cinema Extreme tomorrow (which is also the day my short film CIRCLE gets its premiere at Edinburgh - although I won't be attending).

Beyond that I'm doing nothing.

oui3d -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (20/8/2007 11:18:52 AM)

Built an LED Ringlight for music video shoot. Works a treat

Mojo -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (22/8/2007 11:30:24 AM)

Myself and Castor Troy are currently making progress brainstorming  for a horror/monster movie project. We're shocked at how well its coming along.

Tech_Noir -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (22/8/2007 11:36:41 AM)

Just posted off my application for Cinema Extreme.

SOLE short script
Synopsis
An A4 sheet of Director's Notes
77 pages of storyboards
DVD showreel
CV

And of course the application form. [:D]

ollie_jones -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (22/8/2007 11:59:51 AM)

No luck at the NFTS? I applied, no joy :/

Tech_Noir -> RE: What are you up to? (My Life / Rant) (22/8/2007 12:43:25 PM)

I had an interview but I obviously didn't impress them enough.

I did notice something while I was there, most of the students seemed to drive really expensive cars and were clearly from abroad.

ollie_jones -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 1:27:35 PM)

Well I think students from abroad have to pay for their own tuition, where as us brits can seek grants etc maybe its just easier for those across the boarder to pay their way in. The guy that showed me around, made a short film esp for his NFTS application/show reel that cost 10 grand of his his own money...It all smells a bit iffy to me.

Anyway, good luck with your new application!

Tech_Noir -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 1:35:29 PM)

10,000??

Why even bother going to the NFTS.

James2183 -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 7:18:57 PM)

Woooo, just finished the first draft on my first feature length script. [:D]

I'm not bothered if it's crap. I'm just happy I have wrote the bloody thing

ollie_jones -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 8:00:02 PM)

Congrats, how do you feel about it? Pleased with it? 

James2183 -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 8:09:52 PM)

Yup [:D]

I know there are scenes in it which need work, but I wanted to get the first draft done and dusted as it has been playing on my mind for a while. Now I can refine it and not worry.

Neth -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 8:14:27 PM)

Congratulations, James!

oui3d -> RE: What are you up to? (22/8/2007 9:58:23 PM)

Here's a link to my Work in Progress "Lady In Waiting" On which i'm DoP and editor.
It's a long extract (Too long for me) Scuse the sound the rain's a little forward in the mix but the director wanted it up and online quickly!

http://www.gotproductions.co.uk/html%20pages/lady%20mov%20pg.htm

And can I add "I didn't add the 2.35.1 matte! or do the CCTV overlay (Mine looks proper!) i shot it 16:9 and that's how it should be presented....

Going to take a week off in Sept to focus on edit and really get to grips with Soundtrack Pro.

Any bored sound editors out there?

Anyone? Anyone?

oui3d -> RE: What are you up to? (25/9/2007 9:40:02 AM)

I'm shooting a Music Video this weekend, would call it Zero budget but that implies that i haven't spent any money. As an experiment and.. because we have no money were going to try lighting it with Parcans.

As it's not a performance video I know it's not the norm to use them as they're not particularly flexible. But...
Anyone had any experience of it?

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI