The Lies of Locke Lamora (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

KennyM -> The Lies of Locke Lamora (23/7/2007 11:26:33 AM)

Has anyone read this great fantasy novel about a conman who gets embroiled in all sorts of shit with his gang of thieves, The Gentlemen Bastards.

It's the first in a proposed series of seven (The Gentlemen Bastard Series) and I've just finished reading the second, Red Seas Under Red Skies.

They are both really good reads and the second book is a sgood a sequel as I've read. Both books are funny and exciting and I'd highly recommend them.

Angus the Haggis -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (23/7/2007 2:20:38 PM)

SEVEN! Why can't fantasy writers write in twos or threes?

Anyway i really liked the first one because it was really different from most fantasy novels. It's like hustle but in a fantasy world. I didn't like the second one so much but that's only cos i'm a bit sick of pirates and i'm not a fan of naval stuff although it was still good.

KennyM -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (23/7/2007 8:21:15 PM)

The end of the second really sets it all back up again for book three. It was good to see a bit more of the Jean/Locke relationship and how they really need each other.

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (21/9/2007 4:54:42 PM)

I've just started the first paperback. Really enjoying it so far.

Didn't you know that a seven book series is the new trilogy?

KennyM -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (21/9/2007 10:06:55 PM)

Stick with it, one of my favourite books of the year. I promise, when you finish it you'll want to rush out and buy the next book.

trussedfund -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (24/9/2007 12:29:47 PM)

Yeah this is great stuff, and the second one too.  If you like this would suggest looking Joe Abercrombie up too.

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (24/9/2007 12:58:49 PM)

Arrrggghhh!!!!!!!!! [:@]

Just read chapter 6 part 1. Now I have to go back to work.

I think I will be reading tonight instead of gaming.

Helen OHara -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (24/9/2007 4:07:45 PM)

Loved it - The Princess Bride meets The Belgariad meets, I dunno, something a bit foul-mouthed and earthy.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (24/9/2007 6:49:16 PM)

...... Ken Loach? ...... Shane Meadows?

Haven't read this, but have seen it in the shops and thought it looked like it had potential. If it weren't the beginning of my 3rd year English degree, I'd have a read of it. As it is I'm knee-deep in Lit....

Kilo_T_Mortal -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (25/9/2007 3:44:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

Loved it - The Princess Bride meets The Belgariad meets, I dunno, something a bit foul-mouthed and earthy.

Thomas Covenant?

homersimpson_esq -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (25/9/2007 11:11:54 PM)

Thomas Covenant. Now there's a series that really needs to be made into a series of films. Or, with the current vogue for serial dramas, it could make a quality TV series.

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (27/9/2007 10:20:46 AM)

OMG! Just got to page 350. I'm a bit worried that the tone will  shift a little darker for the rest of the series.... But Wow!

[:(]

KennyM -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (3/10/2007 7:01:04 PM)

Finished it yet Satan? Started number two? It's a long wait till part three next year I'll tell you!

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (4/10/2007 9:59:23 AM)

Yep. I haven't started Part 2 yet as I'm waiting for it in paperback.

****Spoilers*****
I had some mixed feelings towards the end. I mean they kill absolutely everyone.

I loved the setup for The Gentleman Bastards but most of them are now gone. He built up a strong antagonist who I thought was going to escape and be pursued across the world - and then they killed him. He built up the Thorn and then revealed his presence to all that mattered.

Looking back, one of Scott Lynch's talents is to build lovable characters with actually very little information or time spent on them (Nazca, Bug, Sanzas). It's only after they are gone do you realise how little they were mentioned before but they seem so much more than just throwaway characters.

Lynch built up a great city and scenario (Barzi, Secret Peace, Temple of Pellandro etc.) and I really enjoyed the prospect of a series of stories set in this world. But by having destroyed it all we are left with is Locke and Jean to follow for the next six books, but without the the supporting cast of the city I wonder if that will be enough.

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the first book, including the unexpected turns. But I am looking forward to the next book more with trepidation rather than anticipation.

KennyM -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (10/10/2007 6:51:36 PM)

trust me, if you liked the first book you'll like the second. It is a bit samey, setting up a big sting for the first part, revaling twists in the second but it introduces more characters and fleshes out the relationship between Locke and Jean a bit more. It doesn't share as good a climax as Lies.... but it does leave it nicely open and ambiguous for book three.

JV -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (17/10/2007 3:31:11 PM)

This sounds great.... but none of you appear to have mentioned who the author is, unless I've missed it! So cough up the info please. [:D]

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (17/10/2007 3:37:05 PM)

Scott Lynch.

I lent my copy of Locke to a friend who loved it. We went book shopping this week and I saw the trade copy of the second book. As I'm waiting for the paperback she yanked it out of my hand and bought it anyway. On the way home she opened it and was surprised to see it had been signed by the author. [:@]

Kostika -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (18/10/2007 10:05:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

Scott Lynch.

I lent my copy of Locke to a friend who loved it. We went book shopping this week and I saw the trade copy of the second book. As I'm waiting for the paperback she yanked it out of my hand and bought it anyway. On the way home she opened it and was surprised to see it had been signed by the author. [:@]

*points and laughs*

I haven't started it yet. Took a 2 night break to read some of the comics I jsut bought. But I'll be starting it tonight.

Then the true torment shall begin. (for you)

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (14/11/2007 12:30:38 PM)

I just picked up Red Seas under Red Skies so hopefully I'll get started on that tonight!

Kostika -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (19/11/2007 11:07:05 AM)

I finished the second book a couple days ago. I don't want to give anything away, but after the story gets going the author's flashback habit stops, which is actually kinda nice to see. The second book is easily as good as the first and the ending is a bit of a cliff hanger that makes me really want the 3rd book now instead of later.

sharkboy -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (19/11/2007 11:22:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DJ Satan

On the way home she opened it and was surprised to see it had been signed by the author. [:@]

Yeah, I too was pleasantly surprised to find that the version that Amazon sent me was signed by the author.  I thought that the 2nd book was just as good as the first, and enjoyed the twist at the end.  Roll on book 3!

Kostika -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (19/11/2007 2:01:18 PM)

According to Amazon.co.uk the prequel book is out in May and the 3rd book is out in June.

Need a fast forward button now.

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (19/11/2007 2:24:25 PM)

I might not rush it now I know how long I'll have to wait.

KennyM -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (19/11/2007 8:00:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kostika

According to Amazon.co.uk the prequel book is out in May and the 3rd book is out in June.

Need a fast forward button now.

I didn't know there was going to be a prequel. Interesting. Any info on it anywhere?

DJ Satan -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (20/11/2007 11:30:04 AM)

Check Amazon. Search on Scott Lynch.
I would post a link but I can't access it from here.

Apparently it is the story about the search for the Brandy that is mentioned in the first book.

KennyM -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (21/11/2007 6:05:34 PM)

found a brief synopsis on Waterstones. Sounds good, especially for fans. Maybe it'll give more of a hint to who Sabetha is 'cause I'm sure she'll make an appearance at some point.

Kilo_T_Mortal -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (4/12/2007 8:55:37 AM)

Just thought I'd let you know I picked this book up on the recommendation in this thread and staid up till 1 last night reading it. Thanks for the recommendation. [sm=happy34.gif]

oddzag -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (5/12/2007 1:17:35 AM)

I read the first one before it was even published ... so there. Suck on that. I absolutely loved the first one and was waiting with baited breath for Red Seas Under Red Skies. I have to say I felt dissapointed. It is an excellent book but for me was not as good as the first. It just seemed that some of the fun had been sucked out. Locke Lamora was now the one being taken for a ride, it just felt wrong. Locke should be (most of the time anyway) in control. He spent far too much of the book wandering around having no clue what he was doing. But like i said still and excellent book and a highlight of 2007, just not as good as the first.

general_potatoface -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (2/6/2009 8:42:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KennyM

found a brief synopsis on Waterstones. Sounds good, especially for fans. Maybe it'll give more of a hint to who Sabetha is 'cause I'm sure she'll make an appearance at some point.

Book 3 will be largely about Sabetha. I think it features Locke and Jean going to Karthain.

But it's been delayed!

Gamba -> RE: The Lies of Locke Lamora (4/6/2009 3:09:17 PM)

I'm a big fan of the first two books - I love the main characters and I like the dark humour. I'm not always a fan of fantasy books, as sometimes there's too much detail about the lore and scenery, at the expense of plot and characters, but this isn't the case with these books at all.

It's a shame the next book is delayed but I'll be keeping my eye out for it.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI