Foreign films you watched recently (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Peppermint -> Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 3:48:27 PM)

I hope no-one has done this over here already :)

Shamelessly nicked from whoever it was that posted it on the old forum (apologies for any possible offence caused) what World Cinema films have you seen lately? I'll start:

400 Blows - A bit disjointed I thought and I didn't see the relevance of the scene with the Punch & Judy show - 3/5

Irreversible - Not a film I want to see again any time soon, if ever 2/5

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring - Fantastic cinematography, but some people might find their attention wandering - 4/5

Zatoichi -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 3:51:18 PM)

Ikiru - Not the masterpiece I heard it was, but still a very good film from Akira Kurosawa. The second half is more enjoyable than the first in my opinion. 

Leomuse -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 3:56:45 PM)

Howl's Moving Castle  [2004]
One of the best animated films of the current decade.

A

belluccisbra -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 4:10:33 PM)

Howls moving castle- Wierd and wonderful 4/5[sm=happy34.gif]

Heriberto -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 4:37:26 PM)

The spectacular OLDBOY. that film is amazing

rich -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 4:46:58 PM)

Save the Green Planet
Run Lola Run

feral cat -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 6:14:04 PM)

Sex and Fury ... Japanese "bad girl" movie ...

foz -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (4/10/2005 6:38:52 PM)

Going to try & whittle the "to do" pile down a bit before more stuff arrives from Korea later this week...
Tonite, it's going to be The Geisha House (bit of a change of tack for Kinji Fukasaku, although supposedly none the less political for it) and possibly finally getting round to watching Yoji Yamada's Twilight Samurai follow-up Kakushi-Ken, Oni no Tsume, which I've had floating about for ages...

yblehSdranoeL -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 12:12:56 AM)

Foz,

Is that Yamada film available on R2 yet? If not, have you heard when it'll get a release. I loved Twilight Samurai and really want to see this.

[sm=schild15.gif]  I'm pretty sure it was you who gave me a great heads-up on Takeshi Kitano's sublime Kikujiro back on the old forum. I've finally been sent Hana-bi after having it on my Blockbuster Online list for months now. At this rate I'll have caught up with his back-catalogue in about a decade or two. I'm really looking forward to watching that tomorrow night.

Back On-Topic, the last foreign films I watched were:

Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
&
Infernal Affairs 3

mumblin sumpthin -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 12:43:42 AM)

At the weekend I watched Hero and House Of Flying Daggers (4.5 and 4 out of 5 respectively) and tonight I watched L' Appartement again (4 out of 5).

eomer -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 11:16:45 AM)

Initial D!

Racing/drifting down Japan's Mt Akina, knock the socks off Fast and Furious![X(]

foz -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 12:36:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: yblehSdranoeL

Foz,

Is that Yamada film available on R2 yet? If not, have you heard when it'll get a release. I loved Twilight Samurai and really want to see this.

No Euro release announced that I know of - it's not hit R3 discs yet, so it could be a while...  And I didn't get round to watching it last night either so I'll have another go tonight, although it could get put off again as I want to do a review of The Geisha House, as that was surprisingly good [:)]

Smirken -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 8:53:24 PM)

Infernal Affairs 3 - 3/5 ( I still haven't got a clue what happened)
Sleepless Town- 3/5 (Shallow reason but I only watched it for Takeshi Kaneshiro, it was quite good though)

IMFienne -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 9:22:05 PM)

Smirken, guess I'm not the only one who loves Takeshi Kaneshiro.  He's simply gorgeous in House of Flying Daggers. 
Recent foreign movies I've seen are Kung Fu Hustle, typical no-brainer silliness from Stephen Chow but nonetheless very funny (I wonder how the jokes are translated in English though since I understand Cantonese) and 2046 but found my attention wandering.  I love Tony Leung in In the Mood for Love but this time 2046 wasn't to my taste.

emily1212 -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 9:41:08 PM)

Yesterday i watched my first Fassbinder film, Querelle.  Oh so very bizarre.  I have no idea what it was all about.

Today I watched Das schreckliche Madchen.  Better than Querelle but slightly confusing.  If anyone has seen it, what was the point of the random photgraphic backgrounds instead of walls??!?

Mogwai -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (5/10/2005 10:22:55 PM)

Oldboy and Internal Affairs

rich -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (6/10/2005 6:07:34 PM)

2046 - don't quite know where I got the idea this was worth watching, but it wasn't

foz -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (6/10/2005 6:13:00 PM)

Finally finally got round to watching Kakushi-Ken, Oni no Tsume (Hidden Blade, Devil's Claw) last night.  If I get time before doing one to the pub, I might post a quick review up but in a nutshell it was great in places, mildly disappointing in others.  Might try to squeeze Bird People in China in as well while I'm at it...

jackassfan -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (6/10/2005 11:05:45 PM)

The Edukators 9/10
Central Station 8/10
Wings Of Desire 8/10
The Holy Girl 7/10

rich -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (7/10/2005 5:34:59 PM)

Ju-On: The Grudge

foz -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (7/10/2005 6:40:07 PM)

First part of my Korean order arrived today, so I have

R-Point
My Sassy Girl (Director's cut, apparently) and
The Bow (new Kim Ki-Duk thingy)

to watch at various parts of the weekend :)

BTW: Bird People in China was excellent

filmliefhebber -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (7/10/2005 10:19:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Irreversible - Not a film I want to see again any time soon, if ever 2/5

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring - Fantastic cinematography, but some people might find their attention wandering - 4/5

The first one is a very powerful film. When I saw the film in the cinema, there were a few people who leaved the cinema after only 20 minutes. They will have a complete wrong interpretation of this movie. Like you say, it's not a film you'll see every week. But a very good one (Vincent Cassel is again fantastic)

The Second one is a wonderful, poetic Asian film. The director had made "The Isle" a few years before. He has something with floating houses on lakes. 

filmliefhebber -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (7/10/2005 10:21:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foz

First part of my Korean order arrived today, so I have

R-Point
My Sassy Girl (Director's cut, apparently) and
The Bow (new Kim Ki-Duk thingy)

to watch at various parts of the weekend :)

BTW: Bird People in China was excellent

With which kind of movie can you compare The Bow? Is it in the tradition of "Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter and Spring" or should you place the film in the same category as "The Isle" and "Bad Guy"?

foz -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (7/10/2005 10:40:16 PM)

Dunno - not watched it yet [:)]
Going off the cover, it's another very watery affair about a very old man on a boat having a relationship with a very young girl, with the titular Bow employed to fend off anyone who disagrees with this sort of thing (although there's a pic of a violin bow on the box as well, which may be a cheeky plot twist).  I'll have a watch of it tomorrow, as I watched a Don Letts documentary on Punk (Attitude) which was a marvellous - if not particularly World Cinema-ey - insight into the whole guff from Jerry Lee Lewis to Nirvana, and am about to have a peep at R-Point...
Hopefully, Korean parcel number 2 will arrive tomorrow, containing My Wife is a Gangster and Funny Movie, the latter doing exactly what it says on the tin by being Korea's first Korean Cinema Parody Flick.

Palahniuks_laughter -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (8/10/2005 1:57:10 PM)

Ong Bak 3/5
Kung fu hustle  4/5
Brotherhood 4/5

filmliefhebber -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (8/10/2005 3:44:56 PM)

I saw today Bin-Jip from Ki-Duk Kim: wonderful, romantic, sublime direction and camerawork,...

Dodge -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (8/10/2005 11:35:52 PM)

Saw Ong-Bak not long ago for the first time. Im currently in the middle of watching Castle in the Sky

Bella Very -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (8/10/2005 11:36:50 PM)

I just saw 'Night Watch' - incredible! Going to see 'Hari Om' at Raindance tomorrow...

Also watched "House of Flying Daggers" last night - definately one of my favourites.

darkcloud -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (9/10/2005 12:10:12 AM)

My copy of Seven Swords arrived today (nice packing incidentally - wood effect fold out affair).
I gave it a watch tonight, not bad actually - a bit too long perhaps and takes some time to get going, but there's some really good action. So not a classic, and maybe doesn't add a whole lot to a crowded martial arts epic market, but not a bad way to spend just over 2 hours.

foz -> RE: Foreign films you watched recently (9/10/2005 11:00:58 AM)

The Bow - Kim Ki-Duk's most beautiful and emotional film yet.  An absolute masterpiece, and he's not quite so tight on the animals this time round...

R-Point - Not bad K-Horror.  Could/should have been a much better film due to its setting (Korea's involvement in teh Vietnam War) but doesn't do enough with it.  Loses lots of points for getting all Ghosts of Mars at the end.

My Sassy Girl - The Director's Cut, apparently, although I'm not sure what's being added other than incredibly literal subtitles that not only say who's saying stuff, but describe all the action as well.  A film I have avoided for a long time because - in a similar situation I was in with City of God - I couldn't believe that this film was as great as everyone said it was, so it couldn't possibly live up to expectations.  Could it?  To be honest, it exceeds them.  This movie should replace The Great Escape on Bank Holidays, and when the remake tootles around, it probably will. 

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI