RE: What are you thinking......... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads

UTB -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 11:14:17 AM)

Ok, I've had a couple of beers (I work nights) and am now You Tube music video-hopping. Chaka Khan!

[image]http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/images/GifGuide/dancing/30075yu908.gif[/image]

jcthefirst -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 12:08:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

quote:

Why don't you approach it like the infamous Mila Kunis interview and just invite him to a football match or down t'local pub for a pint and some crisps.

I've always been indifferent about Mark Kermode - never really read or listened to his stuff, but a friend recently linked me a clip of him defending/praising Sunshine and I instantly took a like to him from then. [:D]

Oddly, I wasn't too much of a fan of his until recently. I only ever saw him on his introductions to films on Film4 and the like, and always thought he came across as awfully smug and self satisfied. (perhaps it's just his face)

But now I think he's brilliantly outspoken and always argues his point extremely well. In fact, of late, I've not disagreed too much with any of his reviews.

I don't think you're the first to have that initial impression of him. [:D]

I think he does have a slightly unfortunate face in that it does look quite smug by default and when you combine that with the fact he's passionate about his opinions, I think you can be forgiven for assuming he's very up himself.

But I'm a big fan, there's no other critic I really ever take the time to listen to, whether I agree with him or not. And as I say, genuinely good guy by all accounts.

I always had the misconception of him being some unbearably smug and dour smart arse like the insufferable Charlie Brooker. I was pretty surprised to watch the clip and see him talk in a fairly normal, non cynical or sarcastic manner without any hyperbole needed to make his point.

Plus, Sunshine is a great great film.

elab49 -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 12:11:58 PM)

I'm about half and half agreeing with him - he's a bit too fond of mawkishness and moral sentimentality. And HS3. But I do enjoy reading his stuff.

MonsterCat -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 12:47:42 PM)

Sunshine is Boyle's best flick by a country mile, which is really saying something when you consider how many really good films are on his CV.

Speaking of Kermode, I like his video intros for his movie club, and I especially liked his one for Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me. When I was watching it I was thinking to myself: "Yes, this guy actually fucking gets it".

He also earned a lot of respect from me when he was very vocally supportive of projectionists at a time when we were being made redundant in favour of fully automated digital projection gear.

He's still wrong about Cloud Atlas, though. [:D]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 12:55:05 PM)

Yep,big fan of Kermode and having known someone who knows him he's anything but smug.
Christ,he lives in (local) Brockenhurst.BROCKENHURST![:D]

kumar -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 8:15:20 PM)

i am so bored right now and have been for the past few days.

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 8:44:22 PM)

quote:

Sunshine is my favourite film, and it gets a lot of hate. Even Danny Boyle himself doesn't seem too proud of it. But I love it more than a fat kid loves cake.

And I'm a fat kid who loves cake.

superdan -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 8:53:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

Sunshine is my favourite film, and it gets a lot of hate. Even Danny Boyle himself doesn't seem too proud of it. But I love it more than a fat kid loves cake.

Shame about the final act tho, innit?

matty_b -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 9:02:57 PM)

I've never had a problem with the final act. OK, it's markedly different to what comes before it, but I think it works fine. Paraphrasing a lot, but the moment when the ship's computer tells them there's one more person onboard the ship than they thought... brr, I get the shivers big time.

horribleives -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 9:03:41 PM)

I've got the same issues with Sunshine that I had with Trance. Nowt to do with the films themselves, rather the circumstances in which I viewed them - despite going to see them 6 years apart, I watched both while really tired with a hangover. Nedless to say I enjoyed the first half hour of each then started dozing on and off to the point where two thirds in I didn't have the slightest fucking clue what was going on, other than some loud noises and bright lights kept waking me up. Gonna have to wait a few years until Trance has evaporated from my memory to give it another go but I reckon Sunshine might be due a long-awaited re-watch.

superdan -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 9:05:41 PM)

quote:

I've never had a problem with the final act. OK, it's markedly different to what comes before it, but I think it works fine. Paraphrasing a lot, but the moment when the ship's computer tells them there's one more person onboard the ship than they thought... brr, I get the shivers big time.

Yeah, that bit's fine (as is the actual climax), it's just the pseudo-slasher horror that followed I found a bit of a crushing let-down considering how exquisite everything was before then.

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (10/4/2013 9:09:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

quote:

Shame about the final act tho, innit?

*** mild spoilers below.***

Nah.

It wouldn't be my favourite film if I didn't like all of it. I can certainly understand why it put others off, the film appears to flip genre about 3/4 of the way through from straight forward sci-fi to slasher, and the effect can be jarring. Initially when I watched it, I wasn't too sure if I wanted to accept it, I did wonder why he chose to do that, however I couldn't deny after watching it that I was swept up in all of it and left breathless by the end. The film is claustrophobic and tense, and the mission stands on a knife's edge by the end, linspiring feelings of futility, but the final act adds in a nightmareish quality which just ups the ante even more, and pushes the film on to it's dramatic finale. People can explain all the reasons as to why it was silly all they like, but I couldn't deny the fact that the film blew me away, and so I accepted that part and embraced it. It's one of the only films that's made me leave the cinema feeling stunned, in a good way.

jcthefirst -> RE: What are you thinking......... (11/4/2013 1:14:00 PM)

I never had a problem with the third act bit; Pinbacker is clearly unhinged and has been up there worshipping the sun for ages. His belief is totally believable to me.

MonsterCat -> RE: What are you thinking......... (11/4/2013 11:42:34 PM)

There's a Scary Movie 5?

Valanya -> RE: What are you thinking......... (12/4/2013 1:47:00 PM)

I am thinking about how excellent the news from the BFI is about their plans for helping to make Film education available in every school. And not only because, as a Primary teacher with a Film degree, if it takes off it will make me infinitely more employable [;)]

jcthefirst -> RE: What are you thinking......... (12/4/2013 1:55:57 PM)

Hmmm, haven't heard any confirmation from the site about my Kermode interview. And it was meant to be tonight.

I've got a page of questions looking very forlorn right now.

Anyone got any questions they'd like to ask in case it does happen?

Hood_Man -> RE: What are you thinking......... (12/4/2013 2:20:27 PM)

I'd be interested to know if he had an opinion on the Imax brand being used for cinemas that, while still being "better" than regular screens, aren't Imax cinemas in their true form ( i.e. fucking massive).

Unrelated, just had a text from my mum, I completely forgot today would have been my dad's birthday, 59 years old.

Feels odd him not being around anymore.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: What are you thinking......... (12/4/2013 2:50:55 PM)

quote:

Hmmm, haven't heard any confirmation from the site about my Kermode interview. And it was meant to be tonight.

I've got a page of questions looking very forlorn right now.

Anyone got any questions they'd like to ask in case it does happen?

Where are you?

MovieAddict247 -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 10:49:28 AM)

Wisdom teeth. Oh god. My jaw aches. [:(]

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 2:29:21 PM)

Woops. I picked the wrong day to get my domestic affairs in order - it's glorious sunshine outside and a mild temperature for once.

I couldn't delay it any longer though, I'd dumped all my stuff when I moved back into the flat last week and it was getting to the point you could barely see my carpet. So I had a big tidy up, I did some washing, and then I dyed my hair. And it's all absolutely wiped me. I had planned to head down to the beach after I was done, but the sofa it is, instead!

matty_b -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 2:34:50 PM)

I think I've swallowed some ceramics by mistake.

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 2:37:19 PM)

quote:

I think I've swallowed some ceramics by mistake.

You think?

But you're not sure?

matty_b -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 2:41:43 PM)

Actually, I am pretty sure. I'm just not sure how much.

I took same pate and bread into work for my lunch and was about halfway through it when I realised my teeth were actually crunching on something. Further inspection revealed that the pate was in a ceramic bowl which had cracked during transit and it was now full of shards of ceramic pottery.

I'm just not sure how much of it I may have accidentally eaten and how much it's going to tear my arse to shreds on the way out.

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/a045a9febe54d4f808c68ae19d4ef032/tumblr_inline_mhhptsP5M61qegw8v.gif[/image]

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 3:21:48 PM)

I'm quite partial to some Denby myself.

I just noticed my shower gel describes itself as 'rich, thick and twice as creamy' ........ [sm=augen14.gif] I don't plan on consuming any of it.

I'm sure you'd get stuck right in there though, Matty.

SadFace -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 3:25:16 PM)

Damn, missed the discussion on Sunshine above. My favourite Boyle film as well and the music is just sublime.

matty_b -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 3:32:25 PM)

quote:

I just noticed my shower gel describes itself as 'rich, thick and twice as creamy' ........ [sm=augen14.gif] I don't plan on consuming any of it.

Although it's not quite my tipple of choice (massage oil FTW), anything that will help the shards of pottery slide down gently is fine by me.

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 3:51:43 PM)

quote:

quote:

Although it's not quite my tipple of choice (massage oil FTW), anything that will help the shards of pottery slide out gently is fine by me.

Fixed that for you.

matty_b -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 3:54:24 PM)

That would be better actually.

This is gonna hurt.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 4:18:00 PM)

Irritable Bowl Syndrome?

Sway -> RE: What are you thinking......... (15/4/2013 4:23:27 PM)

Why do I get the impression that Homer lurks in all the threads just WAITING for an opportunity to make a pun and of him laughing gleefully when he types it and hits 'ok'.

[image]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_limhdfxpb61qf6fib.gif[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  918 919 [920] 921 922   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI