RE: Bioshock Infinite (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

losthighway -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (14/4/2013 3:07:19 PM)

Is it worth forking out 35 for or should I wait until it drops to about 20-25! (which Tomb Raider and Dead Space 3 seem to have done very quickly after their release dates!). I've played Bioshock and liked the atmosphere of it and I've got Bioshock 2 but it never left it's cellophane wrapper cos I always thought I'd get around to it when I finished the original but that never happened. However, the look of Infinite appeals to me and although I'm really not a huge fan of FPS (much prefer 3rd person shooters), I just feel like I want to experience Infinite... however is it worth that lofty price tag!?

Also, and ***without spoilers*** is that ending really THAT mindblowing or is it all just a lot of hype!?

AxlReznor -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (15/4/2013 10:08:45 AM)

It's my favourite game I've ever played, mostly thanks to its story (which is among my favourites in any format).
I found the ending mindblowing, mainly because I avoided discussion of it until I'd finished the game. As always, if you're aware of the hype, you're likely to be disappointed. But rest assured, it's not the usual videogame ending. And your enjoyment of it will depend on how much you want to understand something the first time you experience it. I love a bit of confusion in my fiction, myself. If you absolutely want to make sure you avoid spoilers before you finish the game, though, I'd recommend getting it as early as possible, whatever the price (which isn't actually lofty at all nowadays).

Oh, and unlike BioShock 2, you don't need to have completed the original game in order to enjoy Infinite.[:)]

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (15/4/2013 1:56:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

Is it worth forking out 35 for or should I wait until it drops to about 20-25! (which Tomb Raider and Dead Space 3 seem to have done very quickly after their release dates!). I've played Bioshock and liked the atmosphere of it and I've got Bioshock 2 but it never left it's cellophane wrapper cos I always thought I'd get around to it when I finished the original but that never happened. However, the look of Infinite appeals to me and although I'm really not a huge fan of FPS (much prefer 3rd person shooters), I just feel like I want to experience Infinite... however is it worth that lofty price tag!?

Also, and ***without spoilers*** is that ending really THAT mindblowing or is it all just a lot of hype!?

I would say it's not worth 35 and that it's pretty average overall. The ending is IMHO not mind blowing at all, and was more daft than anything. It kind of reminded me a bit of the final season of Lost, trying so hard to be fresh and relevant but without anything fresh or relevant to say. The gameplay is good though and it's an enjoyable enough game to play. Just lower your expectations a bit, as a lot of people are getting a bit carried away with this one.

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (15/4/2013 8:14:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

I thought the ending was fantastic, moving, complex and a lot of fun, but if you aren't really a huge fan of FPS or the original Bioshock, I think waiting would be wise.

jcthefirst -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (16/4/2013 4:28:20 PM)

That's the third anachronistic musical choice I've heard so far.

Something odd is afoot methinks.

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (17/4/2013 7:04:40 PM)

I've really lost my Bioshock mojo, because I don't think I'll be able to beat this one on hard.

I decided to focus on upgrading my vigors and not so much on the guns, but that seems to have been a mistake.

Maybe I'll start over again.

Any tips, especially how to deal with the handymen, would be nice.

AxlReznor -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (18/4/2013 10:20:18 AM)

Make sure you get every pistol and machine gun upgrade, because not only are they your first guns, they're also the ones that you are most likely to find lying around when you're scrambling around for ammo.
I'd also recommend the shotgun upgrades. With the Handymen it's important to keep moving... go on the sky rail until he jumps on it. That means he's going to be staying in one place for a few seconds to electrocute the rail, so jump off and concentrate fire on his heart. There's an achievement for bringing down a Handyman by only shooting its heart, but I've never been able to get it. To maximise the chances, though, go into zoom mode on a gun with a fairly good accuracy.
The Handymen are immune to most Vigors, but Murder Of Crows is excellent against them. It distracts them while you get a clear shot, so that's another method. Best way to beat the game is to try to balance your Vigor and weapon upgrades, because focusing on just one will leave you underpowered.

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (18/4/2013 10:53:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Make sure you get every pistol and machine gun upgrade, because not only are they your first guns, they're also the ones that you are most likely to find lying around when you're scrambling around for ammo.
I'd also recommend the shotgun upgrades. With the Handymen it's important to keep moving... go on the sky rail until he jumps on it. That means he's going to be staying in one place for a few seconds to electrocute the rail, so jump off and concentrate fire on his heart. There's an achievement for bringing down a Handyman by only shooting its heart, but I've never been able to get it. To maximise the chances, though, go into zoom mode on a gun with a fairly good accuracy.
The Handymen are immune to most Vigors, but Murder Of Crows is excellent against them. It distracts them while you get a clear shot, so that's another method. Best way to beat the game is to try to balance your Vigor and weapon upgrades, because focusing on just one will leave you underpowered.

I hadn't upgraded the pistol or the machine gun, I prefer the carbine, but I'll look into it now. And I'll definitely try the Murder of Crows, didn't really expect it to work on those guys, so I never tried it.

I'll also try to balance stuff a little better, not just upgrading my vigors.

I think I had quite a lot of money when I last quit, so at least the weapon stuff should be doable right away.

Thanks

AxlReznor -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (18/4/2013 12:25:47 PM)

I didn't figure out that the Murder Of Crows works until the very last one I faced. It would've been nice to have this information sooner. [:D]

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (18/4/2013 1:53:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I didn't figure out that the Murder Of Crows works until the very last one I faced. It would've been nice to have this information sooner. [:D]

Yeah, I'm really glad I asked. Could've been a painful journey if I had just kept throwing Shock Jockey at them.

Most of the gameplay against normal smaller enemies, is a lot more fun on hard, it's just those big dudes that's so scary.

Well, those guys and that final all out action bit. I'm kind of worried about how difficult that'll be, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (21/4/2013 2:46:56 PM)

Finished the game on hard. Wasn't as bad as I expected, died once during the final bit, but that's probably because I got lucky and got the right gear.

I highly, highly recommended the one that gives you salts when enemies die. In general, try out some of the different gear you come across, they can change your play style quite a bit, often for the better.

Man that ending is a mind bender...

target -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (23/4/2013 10:52:16 PM)

Spoilers!!!

Finished 1999 mode At the weekend.it wasn't actually too bad. Just a few bits that kicked my ass a few times. The hardest for me were the Lady Comstocks ghost fights, and the end battle on the barge. The Handy-men were not that bad surprisingly.

Also not using any Dollar bill machines added the to the difficulty.

Tafferel -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (24/4/2013 10:41:01 AM)

I'm currently at Comstock House. Can anyone tell me roughly how far in I am?
Sort of feels like I'm getting towards the end but I don't feel like I've been playing that long

Cheers

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (24/4/2013 10:57:39 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tafferel

I'm currently at Comstock House. Can anyone tell me roughly how far in I am?
Sort of feels like I'm getting towards the end but I don't feel like I've been playing that long

Cheers

You're near the end.

jcthefirst -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (24/4/2013 12:08:55 PM)

Yeah, I've just had a Ghostbusters moment, and I think I'm quite near the end too.

AxlReznor -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (25/4/2013 10:50:08 AM)

Obviously, this in no way affected my enjoyment of the game or the storyline, but did anyone else find it strange when in the process of attempting to get to Daisy Fitzroy so you could get the First Lady Airship and escape from Columbia, you have to... board an airship and destroy it, instead of just taking the controls and escaping from Columbia?

jcthefirst -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (25/4/2013 1:02:36 PM)

Ooooooooookaaaaaaaay...?

Loved the ending, although it isn't confusing me as it seems to have others on the interwebs, but it's how we got there that confuses me more. All the stuff with the Vox and Lady Comstock; no idea what was going on there.

AxlReznor -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (25/4/2013 1:10:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Ooooooooookaaaaaaaay...?

Loved the ending, although it isn't confusing me as it seems to have others on the interwebs, but it's how we got there that confuses me more. All the stuff with the Vox and Lady Comstock; no idea what was going on there.

quote:

Care to be more specific? We might be able to explain it to you... or at the very least reassure you that you're not alone. [:D]

jcthefirst -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (26/4/2013 12:08:48 PM)

SPOILERS

quote:

Well, I followed most of it, it's just at times I couldn't remember which reality I was in, and who I was fighting. Which is probably more a fault of leaving it for a few days between sessions. One minute I'm fighting Comstock's guys and the Vox are on my side, next I'm fighting the Vox and Comstock's guys, and the leader (Fitzroy?) has betrayed me, but I'm not sure if she was the original one or an alternate universe one.

The whole middle section confused me.

END SPOILERS

AxlReznor -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (26/4/2013 12:38:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

SPOILERS

quote:

Well, I followed most of it, it's just at times I couldn't remember which reality I was in, and who I was fighting. Which is probably more a fault of leaving it for a few days between sessions. One minute I'm fighting Comstock's guys and the Vox are on my side, next I'm fighting the Vox and Comstock's guys, and the leader (Fitzroy?) has betrayed me, but I'm not sure if she was the original one or an alternate universe one.

The whole middle section confused me.

END SPOILERS

Okay, well when you find the gunsmith's machines and realise that you can't carry them - something that should have occurred to them before - you step through into another alternate universe. At this point, this is the third universe you've been in. In this one, when Booker had tried to rescue Elizabeth from the tower, he found that Comstock has moved her to Comstock House. He heard about Cornelius Slate holing up in the Hall Of Heroes, and went there to join the Vox Populi so that he, Slate and Fitzroy could spearhead the revolution. At some point, though, Slate and Booker were killed, and Fitzroy used Booker's death as an opportunity to drum up more support by painting him as a martyr to the cause.
This worked, and by the time your version of Booker and Elizabeth arrive, the Vox Populi have nearly taken Columbia, and you're witnessing the beginning of the final push. They fight alongside you to begin with, but Daisy knows that when word spreads that Booker is running around with their forces alive and well, she may lose the support that she'd gained by using his death for her own purposes. So she orders her people to kill you. "I saw Booker DeWitt die in front of me, so you're either an impostor or a ghost. Either way, you complicate the narrative".

There would probably be an issue with there being two Elizabeth's once you got to Comstock House, but by the time you get there everything goes haywire, and you end up in 1984 temporarily... and I can only assume that when you are sent back after meeting the older Elizabeth, you are sent back to the original universe, though possibly not.

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (27/4/2013 7:31:16 PM)

I also found some second act stuff a little confusing, but I got the gist of it. Of course the second time around helped make even more sense of things.

I'll start a 1999 run now. Wish me luck.

Proudfoot -> RE: Bioshock Infinite (10/5/2013 2:02:01 PM)

Question about the shooting the handyman in the heart trophy.

I finished the game in 1999 mode and so I'm only missing one trophy, the handyman one. But as far as I can tell I can't change difficulty and then choose a chapter. Does that mean I either have to fight him in 1999 mode or start the game all over and then work my way towards him?

I've never gotten all the trophies/achievements in a game and I wouldn't mind if it finally happened, but I don't think I can be bothered to replay the a huge chunk of the game again, I've already gone through it four times.

Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI