Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (22/5/2007 2:53:16 PM)

Post your comments on this article

VonOfterdingen -> (22/5/2007 2:53:16 PM)

It really is up to Jack. But even he seems a bit tired (imho) and to multiply him doesn't make him funnier at all - on the contrary. Anyway still a very good review that I agree with for most parts. But the powder is definitely wet.

swordsandsandals -> RE: (22/5/2007 2:58:02 PM)

Well, it would never be as good as the first. I hope it is still good, despite the lacklustre review. I'll still see it, but my faith is shaken.

JagLover -> RE: RE: (22/5/2007 3:14:13 PM)

From the sounds of things it is much the same as the second one. Confusing, convulated and too long. Where did the fun go?

I will not waste my money on this at the cinema.

Dave B -> RE: RE: (22/5/2007 3:22:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover

From the sounds of things it is much the same as the second one. Confusing, convulated and too long. Where did the fun go?

Seconded.

Richy T -> (22/5/2007 3:29:47 PM)

I expected this film to suck anyway, can't wait to hear Mark Kermodes podcast review of this, he really hates this series of films and expresses it eloquently and bloody hilariously!

clarkkent -> (22/5/2007 3:36:57 PM)

how is vonofterdingen giving the film stars when its not out yet?

Yeh, i know this is going to be long (most cinemas are running it with an intermission) but i think alot of empire reviews lately have been off (teh turtles flick sprtings imediatley to mind) so im gonna see this anyway. And as for the plot being hard to follow, the second one was as well (or so i thought until i rewatched it and when your paying attention to the story and being amazed by the special effects) so im gonna ignore this review and go in with an open mind! (as well as several litres of coke, several large bags of doritos and probably have a blast in what is a SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER not fuckign citizen cane (which is over rated anyway) And as this thing wont let me use it without giving it a bloody star rating im gonna give it four (as i think this is what itll REALLY deserve)

lbiu -> RE: (22/5/2007 3:55:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarkkent

how is vonofterdingen giving the film stars when its not out yet?

Yeh, i know this is going to be long (most cinemas are running it with an intermission) but i think alot of empire reviews lately have been off (teh turtles flick sprtings imediatley to mind) so im gonna see this anyway. And as for the plot being hard to follow, the second one was as well (or so i thought until i rewatched it and when your paying attention to the story and being amazed by the special effects) so im gonna ignore this review and go in with an open mind! (as well as several litres of coke, several large bags of doritos and probably have a blast in what is a SUMMER BLOCKBUSTER not fuckign citizen cane (which is over rated anyway) And as this thing wont let me use it without giving it a bloody star rating im gonna give it four (as i think this is what itll REALLY deserve)

Not to be a grammar nazi, but if you want to make a point at least write coherantly. DMC had several weak plots which seemed to be thrown at the screen...I'll check out AWE but my hopes are much lower than I was with DMC.

Achtung Englander -> RE: RE: (22/5/2007 4:06:28 PM)

saw the trailer for it last night and it looked superb fun but without any direct humour. Pure popcorn fest

jnat -> (22/5/2007 4:13:36 PM)

I don't care what u all think! This film ROCKS!!!!

sleepwalker -> Pirates Revolutions (22/5/2007 4:14:30 PM)

I really wish these two sequels had been stand alone adventures rather than two parts of a trilogy shot back to back. The whole idea of a cliffhanger ending is lost when you put a main protagonist (especially one who carries the film) in mortal peril at the end of a second film in a trilogy, That hasnt worked since back to the future 2, Does Captain Jack wake up in a train station with an indian family in this one, will the other characters have a waste 20 mins looking for a character we know will make it back and have absolutely no relevance to the rest of the plot, Oh apart from tying up a the loose ends of a second film that couldnt be bothered to come up with an original ending. Im still looking forward to seeing Johnny dont get me wrong, but lets just keep the Elizabeth death scene to under 15 mins please.

Rogue -> (22/5/2007 4:15:05 PM)

I've never held high expectations for this film since i saw the muddled, damp squid that was Pirates 2.

And the series started off with such a classic film too! Tis sad!

scudder -> 3 hours too long (22/5/2007 4:27:44 PM)

Boring! Saw this last night, and although the SFX are fantastic, everything else sucks, apart from Depp and Rush. Keira and Orlando are terrible. Do not see this, remember the first one and pretend there never were any sequels.

Flaygor -> Eh? (22/5/2007 4:50:11 PM)

lots of crosses, double-crosses, triple-crosses and so-many-crosses-it’s-basically-a-porcupine......what? Do Porcupines have crosses? surely it's spines?

mjscarface -> Will still make a shed-load which is the sad part (22/5/2007 4:51:57 PM)

I don't like POTC, I think the second one was a total mess and couldn't believe it took so much money last year. Looks like its up to Transformers this year to save the summer blockbuster.

Rob_Gordon -> RE: Will still make a shed-load which is the sad part (22/5/2007 5:05:31 PM)

bah, I call humbug on Empire! The movie is just the right lenght, the double/triple/younameit-crosses zing about at such a speed that they never bog the movie down or feel convulted. The humour is witty and hilarious - something that part 2 lacked entirely - and the action is bold and spectacular. Giving this three stars, while Clones got that infamous five is malarckey!

oh, and not fun? What about the entire segment of Shipwreck Cove? Balacing perfectly between mythic wonder and pure comedy brilliance. Or the 'this is politics' quip from Jack? Or Ragetti and Pintel, with the constant barrage of insults from trippy Jack towards poor Mackenzie Crook? Or the pure Treasure Island meet Monkey Island feel to the film, that drives it over the mythic map of Sao Feng, and beyond?

send this review walking the plank!

theoriginalcynic -> RE: Will still make a shed-load which is the sad part (22/5/2007 5:23:03 PM)

Looking forward too watching this but need to watch parts 1 and 2 again first this week.  Can't review it as I haven't seen it yet...

jimmyakey -> RE: Eh? (22/5/2007 8:08:32 PM)

i just wanna second the comment made by Flaygor on the whole 'so many crosses its basically a porcupine'. They're called spines, or we would have even given you spikes....Haven't seen it so can't review it, i'm sure it'll be as average as 2 with its only salvation lying in the mere presence of Mr Depp

bub -> RE: RE: (22/5/2007 8:49:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave B

quote:

ORIGINAL: JagLover

Seconded.

thirded

leroythemasochist -> pirates 3 (22/5/2007 9:07:17 PM)

why couldn't we just have a pirate movie first and a supernatural blow-out second?
The first one was a right good laugh, the second was... something or other, I'm not quite sure what.
And this third one?
I'll report back when I've stumped up the courage to buy a ticket!

The REAL Bozz -> RE: pirates 3 (22/5/2007 10:29:21 PM)

Some guy over at AICN reviwed it and I think he had a valid point when he stated that part one is not even linked to pt 2 and 3 so it aint really a trilogey. U got pt 1 which is a great, solid bit of fun. Then two comes along and its all seriousness and 'darker' (I'm begining to hate that term) and the fun gets left behind. I think im trying to say its dissapearing up its own arse, atempting to be a modern star wars or somthing instead of a great, silly but fun pirate frachise which should never dream of ex[ecting audeinces to sit on thier arses for over three bloody hours! I could not believe that was the running time for AWE, what a joke. I am looking foward to it but think I will wait till dvd.

LongLiveTheKong -> RE: pirates 3 (22/5/2007 11:25:44 PM)

DMC was my favourite film last year, I totally disagreed with Empire on that one. I probably will on this one too. I'm so pumped right now...

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: pirates 3 (23/5/2007 1:16:28 AM)

seeing it tomorrow night (23rd) at my staff screening at twelve midnight, cannot wait!

The Seed -> RE: pirates 3 (23/5/2007 8:19:21 AM)

I suppose I'm a little disappointed, I honestly thought this was shaping up to match the standard of the first film. I won't be missing it for anything though - afterall this is still the closest thing we'll ever get to a Monkey Island movie, and as long as the Captain Jack - Barbossa banter holds up I'm sure I'll find plenty to enjoy when all's said and done.

lbiu -> RE: pirates 3 (23/5/2007 9:46:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LongLiveTheKong

DMC was my favourite film last year, I totally disagreed with Empire on that one. I probably will on this one too. I'm so pumped right now...

seriously? In a year with such classics as The Departed and Pan's Labyrinth...seriously[&:]

Supernova -> RE: pirates 3 (23/5/2007 9:48:13 AM)

Im very tired so this is just gonna be a general impression, im not one for writing big reviews so this will have to do

Saw this last night and came away just totally gutted. It was flat out terrible. I havent contemplated walking out of a film in years but i was very very close with this installment of Pirates. I was never really a huge fan of the first movie, sure i liked it when i first saw it but its never really held up to repeat viewings for me. The second one i skipped at the cinema and only recently saw it on DVD. After all of the negative press surrounding it i was actually really surprised and enjoyed it a lot. Ive been really excited for the third one but i sat there last night just bored out of my mind for the majority of the film. 'Blink and you'll miss him' Chow Yun Fat was good with the tiny amount of screen time he has and the potentially 'Greatest Cameo Ever' by Keef was just overly dull and a complete dissapointment. Keef playing it straight? WTF? I was expecting a swaggering Pirate, not an overly serious Rolling Stone strumming a little acoustic guitar giving Sparrow wise words of wisdom.

Depp's lines felt flat and the charm of his character seems to have vanished. To me it seemed like he was just going through the motions and he looked bored most of the time. Knightley seems to have upped her game a little and actually put some passion into her character whereas Orlando Bloom was his usual awful self.

For me, it was probably the worst film i have seen this year. It was an overly long incoherent mess and i was just dying to get out of the cinema just because it was so dull and boring. Real shame as i was really looking forward to it, especially after the great trailer.

Sorry folks, a very very generous 2/5 for me

doctorolorinbats1975 -> RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (23/5/2007 10:54:53 AM)

"
The plot is – well, your guess is as good as ours. There’s much sailing to and fro; something about a magical navigation chart, presumably to match Jack’s magical compass; lots of crosses, double-crosses, triple-crosses and so-many-crosses-it’s-basically-a-porcupine; and mini story arcs for even the most minor characters. We are pretty sure that Will (Orlando Bloom) and Elizabeth (Keira Knightley) are having difficulties, that Cap’n Jack (Johnny Depp) is having hallucinations, and that Lord Beckett (Tom Hollander) is using Davy Jones’ (Bill Nighy) heart to control the seas and stamp out piracy. But what, precisely, new Singaporean pirate Sao Feng (Chow Yun-Fat) and voodoo priestess Tia (Naomie Harris) are up to is anyone’s guess, and as the betrayals and treachery mount (every major character betrays someone, with the possible exception of the monkey), it becomes impossible to keep track of anyone’s motivation." Oh for the love of, I am so sick and tired of Empire and every bleedin' film critic who say they can't get the plot. If kids under the age of ten can, why can't they?

Helen OHara -> RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (23/5/2007 11:44:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: doctorolorinbats1975
Oh for the love of, I am so sick and tired of Empire and every bleedin' film critic who say they can't get the plot. If kids under the age of ten can, why can't they?

Hey, we're intelligent people here (mostly) but if you, or anyone else, can honestly explain even one character's plot line throughout I'd be impressed. Who says children under ten can get this plot? And how can you say we're wrong not to get it if you haven't seen it yet?

Castor Troy -> RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (23/5/2007 11:49:01 AM)

Plus, it's possible for the plot to be too complicated as well as being able to understand it.

Monkeyshaver -> RE: Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End (23/5/2007 12:02:52 PM)

This seems like its going to have all the flaws of DMC, only multiplied -  a bloated self-indulgent mess of a film with too much going on & too little in the way of fun. I'll just dust off my copies of Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk & The Crimson Pirate for my pirate movie thrills!

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.298828E-02