RE: All Things Anime (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (16/6/2007 7:49:30 PM)

Anymore reviews?

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (17/6/2007 1:40:34 PM)

No, sorry CT. I've ordered Only Yesterday so i will write a review about that when i get the time!

Anyway, more importantly, i think your review on Blood: The Last Vampire is very good. I've not seen the film, but it seems a pretty honest and unpretentious review. If i see it going cheaply i will definitely buy it. However, normally i am into anime that has something to say and obviously this is not the right sort of film for that! lol. So thank you for letting me know the details of this film. Your reviewing is getting better too, although i believe your GITS review to be better but only because the content allowed you to elaborate on the meanings and your personal response to these issues.

Looking forward to your list of top films, and hopefully if any anime films appear you will still post your reviews to them here. Hopefully, some other forum members will be inspired to write their reviews to any anime films they've seen.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (17/6/2007 2:00:11 PM)

Re-read my GITS review, i did it again. And thanks. Looking forward to that review. It's still a good film though. Appartently they are making a sequel and a tv series like Evangelion with the full length feature film. There will be a third one no doubt as well. They are also making a live action feature film, as in with actual people. I picked up my copy for 7 in HMV.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (17/6/2007 5:44:12 PM)

I was writing a review of Ghost in The Shell, but i was trying to move something and i accidently deleted it half of it, then i got pissed off and punched my computer several times and shouted and smashed my fists on the table. Now i cannot be bothered writing it as i have forgotten what i wrote, and to be honest with you it was good but not that good and was not as involving a review as my Innocence one becuase compared to it's sequel i think Ghost In The Shell is utter tat.[:D] I do not have the same feeling for it. I was writing about it with heart and soul but to be honest with you i think it came off as being a very pretentious review, i was writing about the philosophy and how Oshii made this with the careful work of an artist but that is utter bollocks, i mean he did love making it and all that but it is by no means a masterpiece of a film. There is hardly any philosophy in it i found unlike the second one. So someone else can do it and i'll do another one at some point.

directorscut -> RE: All Things Anime (17/6/2007 6:46:32 PM)

Well, I've looked through the entire thread but I can't find one mention of Millennium Actress.

[image]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X3XQ2JMBL._SS500_.jpg[/image] This is a great, beautiful and magical film that everyone on earth should see.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (17/6/2007 7:24:57 PM)

Never seen it. I'll look it up.[:)]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (19/6/2007 1:43:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Well, I've looked through the entire thread but I can't find one mention of Millennium Actress.

[image]http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X3XQ2JMBL._SS500_.jpg[/image] This is a great, beautiful and magical film that everyone on earth should see.

Another one that was on my list with Lovefilm and never arrived.

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (19/6/2007 3:43:34 PM)

Oh, I have just seen the brilliant Perfect Blue. One of the creepiest films ever made, the narration is pure Lynchian, in a more accessible Lynchian way maybe, it works both as a slasher and as a comment on fame and its consequences. The music is brilliant, the athmospheric ones that is, shame about the final shot, which to me was just cheesy.

rockerjo -> RE: All Things Anime (19/6/2007 6:40:09 PM)

We/I have already mentioned cowboy bebop but i feel i need to talk about it again. I just bought a 26 episode box set on ebay from japan. It has english and japanese with eglish subtitles on it thankfully. I couldnt wait for it to come and when it came I watched the first 9 episodes (the first disc). I must say the animation isn't as good as the movie but apart from that this is excellent. I loved episode 6 and 5 most so far but every single episode is great. [sm=w00t.gif] What a bargain as well 12.99 for 3 discs/26 episodes of top quality. I think he has loads so try typing in cowboy bebop box set if you want one. By the way is there any anime on this week or is there any bargains?

jamesbondguy -> RE: All Things Anime (19/6/2007 9:17:23 PM)

Was asked to add this, so I might as well place my Whisper of the Heart review, from the mini-reviews thread, into here-
Whisper of the Heart (1995- Kondo)
[image]http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1148582/article_images/whispercap3.jpg[/image]

Positives:
- One of the most unsung of all the Ghibli films.
- A tragic film, with character's that are so perfect in both mannerisms and actions.
- An involving look at the evolving of talent- one of the best ever made, and every step of Shizuku's journey from care-free to obssessed novel writer is fantastic.
- A script from Hayao Miyazaki that is near pitch-perfect- it has a few flaws, but it's generally great.
- The only film made by Miyazaki's trainee, Yoshifumi Kondo- before he died tragically a few years later. His direction of voicing, and the flow of the story, is great.
- Some fantastic artwork- and an excellent paen to suburban Tokyo.
- Feels very magical and innocent- the scene on the rooftop is excellently played- as is the performance in the workshop. Two fantastic film scenes- and there are so many short, fleeting scenes that are just perfect (the fade out on the duo in the Libary, sitting with Moon balcony.)

Negatives
- Not a lot.
- Some of the subplots are a little uninvolving.
- Shizuku and the baseball player's subplot remained a little too glossed over- could have done with a bit more depth.
- Would've liked to have seen a bit more of the novel- but I can understand why it was sidelined by the director.
- Some obvious product placement (only twice.) Those who have seen it will know what I'm talking about.
- The fact the DVD case shows the Baron and the girl flying, when that scene appears for only a few minutes in the film. False advertising, or what?

Score: ****/ ***** (Whisper of the Heart gets a very high four from me.)

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (19/6/2007 11:36:06 PM)

Cheers for adding that into here jamesbondguy, it's much appreciated. I'm glad you liked it. It is truly one of Ghibli's unsung films.

quote:

Negatives
- Not a lot

Couldn't agree more. Made me smile too.[:)]

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (20/6/2007 6:16:58 PM)

I will get a couple more reviews up this friday people. What were everyone's initial thoughts on my first two reviews?  Does anyone remeber that top ten Anime list on Empire online's homepage, in no particular order:

Blood: The Last Vampire
Ghost In The Shell
Akira
Metropolis
Perfect Blue
Grave Of The Firflies
Ninja Scroll
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

I can't remember what the tenth one was at all. I pm-ed and e-mailed James Dyer at Empire, but i will see how long he takes to reply. What would be the best way to get his attention and make sure he actually notices the pm and e-mail?

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (20/6/2007 6:59:50 PM)

Hmm, sorry i can't remember what the other film was from their list. I don't see why James won't reply if you have PM'ed him and emailed him. Just give him a couple of days. He may need to find out himself. What i don't understand however, is why Metropolis is in their list and yet in only got 2 stars?

Btw, i am liking your reviews CT. Once i've got my summer to myself i will be back on the job of writing up some thoughts.

the anomaly -> RE: All Things Anime (20/6/2007 7:54:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockerjo

We/I have already mentioned cowboy bebop but i feel i need to talk about it again. I just bought a 26 episode box set on ebay from japan. It has english and japanese with eglish subtitles on it thankfully. I couldnt wait for it to come and when it came I watched the first 9 episodes (the first disc). I must say the animation isn't as good as the movie but apart from that this is excellent. I loved episode 6 and 5 most so far but every single episode is great. [sm=w00t.gif] What a bargain as well 12.99 for 3 discs/26 episodes of top quality. I think he has loads so try typing in cowboy bebop box set if you want one. By the way is there any anime on this week or is there any bargains?

Were they official discs or just copies?

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 1:45:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesbondguy

Was asked to add this, so I might as well place my Whisper of the Heart review, from the mini-reviews thread, into here-
Whisper of the Heart (1995- Kondo)
[image]http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1148582/article_images/whispercap3.jpg[/image] 

To my shame I have never seen this so focused have I been on Miyazaki's stuff. I will watch it ASAP along with Jin Roh : The Wolf Brigade

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 2:51:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

Hmm, sorry i can't remember what the other film was from their list. I don't see why James won't reply if you have PM'ed him and emailed him. Just give him a couple of days. He may need to find out himself. What i don't understand however, is why Metropolis is in their list and yet in only got 2 stars?

Btw, i am liking your reviews CT. Once i've got my summer to myself i will be back on the job of writing up some thoughts.

Really?[:-] I liked it. Bollocks, it was in there, they might have re-reviewed it and admitted it was one of the ones 'we got wrong'. GITS 2 only got three stars! Can you believe that? Of all the nerve.....
No, i am worried incase James doesn't spot my e-mail and pm, he's hardly ever on the forum. I'll pm mikey c and ask him to contact him to get his attention or something like that. My next reviews will be up tomorrow, they will be Ninja Scroll and Ghost In The Shell. More feedbak from everyone else man! And i think fluke and the anomaly and everyone else who posts here should write a couple of reviews at some point, i want to know your thoughts on films.

matthewforan -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 3:54:49 PM)

I've liked the Anime films i've seen so far, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away. I want to know what others think, i'm dying to see Princess Mononko, Blood the Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll. What are the others i should see?

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 4:06:57 PM)

Look at my post above about Empire's top ten Anime list. There is one missing. Do you remeber what it was? All those Anime's in that list you should see. Check out ghibli (Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, grave Of The Fireflies) The guy who did Ninja Scroll (can't remeber his name) Oshii (GITS GITS 2). Neon Genesis Evangelion is good. Ninja Scroll tv series, Cowboy Bebop film and telly series. Jin-Roh is good. Millenium Actress.

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 6:55:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matthewforan

I've liked the Anime films i've seen so far, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away. I want to know what others think, i'm dying to see Princess Mononko, Blood the Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D and Ninja Scroll. What are the others i should see?

Yeah, as CT says go with their list. I think thats as good a place to start as any. If in doubt just go with Studio Ghibli. Nearly all of them are brilliant. You've seen Spirited Away, and want to see Mononoke (brilliant it is too) i'd also watch Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart. Nausicaa and Mononoke are (quite) similar, but don't be put off by that. There are lots of good tv series' too.

Oh, and check out Voices of a Distant Star. I reckon you will like that. I wrote a review (sort of) on one of the pages back previous.

Let us know what you think, it seems as though there are about 5 regular posters in this thread!

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 8:54:07 PM)

Poeple, I have a shameful, ugly secret to reveal, I didn't like Ninja Scroll. Too inexplicable, and an unspectacular first act, and to much of  an unspectacular ending.

I'm banned from this thread I am? Please forgive me, I was just disappionted by all the accliam on a basic average anime.

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 10:03:36 PM)

I haven't seen it. That would be a bigger sin. I vote to keep you in if you vote to keep me? Deal?

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (21/6/2007 11:51:53 PM)

Deal. None of us get banned.

the anomaly -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 12:00:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Poeple, I have a shameful, ugly secret to reveal, I didn't like Ninja Scroll. Too inexplicable, and an unspectacular first act, and to much of  an unspectacular ending.

I'm banned from this thread I am? Please forgive me, I was just disappionted by all the accliam on a basic average anime.

Yes

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 7:38:46 AM)

quote:

Oh yes. I am the boss. (No not really).[:D] You can stay. Why did you not like it? Perphaps my review will change your mind.

the anomaly -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 12:27:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

quote:

Oh yes. I am the boss. (No not really).[:D] You can stay. Why did you not like it? Perphaps my review will change your mind.

I was going to review that! Eventually...
Well what shall I review then? Whats my homework assignment? Sir?

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 1:10:48 PM)

quote:

I totally agree I thought it was forgettable.

But by far the most overrated anime I have seen is Blood : The Last Vampire. Woefully short, rubbish dialogue, characters who you don't remotely care about and absolutely zero plot.  The baddies looked scary but overall that was a  sore disappointment

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 2:20:29 PM)

Ninja Scroll is supposed to be in the same leage of Akira, GITS, Perfect Blue and Studio Ghibli films. Its not,  its a film that would have worked brilliantly as tv anime series, but as a film it was rushed in pacing, the best villian killed at the beginning(the big rock man), many of the characters undeveloped(the blind samuria deserved far more scenes) and others appear to sudden without proper introduction. Some battles are really great and the main character is cool. Essentially, it was too short. The second act is propably the best part, and it should have been longer.

Honestly, hearing this film recieving more praise than Howl's Moving Castle and Perfect Blue leave me baffled. I even thought The End of Evangelion was a much better film(which though brilliant it has its share of flaws).

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 2:27:03 PM)

quote:

Ninja Scroll is supposed to be in the same leage of Akira, GITS, Perfect Blue and Studio Ghibli films. Its not, its a film that would have worked brilliantly as tv anime series, but as a film it was rushed in pacing, the best villian killed at the beginning(the big rock man), many of the characters undeveloped(the blind samuria deserved far more scenes) and others appear to sudden without proper introduction. Some battles are really great and the main character is cool. Essentially, it was too short. The second act is propably the best part, and it should have been longer.

Honestly, hearing this film recieving more praise than Howl's Moving Castle and Perfect Blue leave me baffled. I even thought The End of Evangelion was a much better film(which though brilliant it has its share of flaws).

Sorry Deviation, but it is already a tv series too.[:D] It's good, shut up![:D]

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 2:29:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Poeple, I have a shameful, ugly secret to reveal, I didn't like Ninja Scroll. Too inexplicable, and an unspectacular first act, and to much of an unspectacular ending.

I totally agree I thought it was forgettable.

But by far the most overrated anime I have seen is Blood : The Last Vampire. Woefully short, rubbish dialogue, characters who you don't remotely care about and absolutely zero plot. The baddies looked scary but overall that was a sore disappointment

Blood is okay, but could have been better, they are making a sequel and a live action feature film, and a tv series, let's hope they fair better eh?[;)] Have you read my review on Blood fluke? It's on page four along with GITS 2 review.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (22/6/2007 2:30:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

quote:

Poeple, I have a shameful, ugly secret to reveal, I didn't like Ninja Scroll. Too inexplicable, and an unspectacular first act, and to much of an unspectacular ending.

Oh yes. I am the boss. (No not really).[:D] You can stay. Why did you not like it? Perphaps my review will change your mind.

I was going to review that! Eventually...
Well what shall I review then? Whats my homework assignment? Sir?

Ok, you review Ninja Scroll and i'll review GITS.[:)]

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
9.179688E-02