RE: BFI Anime (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

drews -> RE: BFI Anime (22/6/2012 10:05:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: drews

Not a massive Anime fan but I have seen Ghost in the Shell and watched Akira a couple of nights ago. Both are awesome.

If anyone has any other good suggestions for anime movies I should definitely watch next then please let me know.

Tekkonkinkreet - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831888/
Action / Urban Fantasy / Gangs
In Treasure Town, life can be both peaceful and violent. This is never truer than for our heroes, Black and White - two street kids who claim to traverse the urban city as if it were their own.

Ninja Scroll - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/
Action / Samurai / Fantasy
A Ronin takes an mission which isn't quite what it seems dragging him back to his past and his demons.

Princess Mononoke - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/
Action / Japanese Fantasy
On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war.

Grave of the fireflies - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/
Drama / War
A tragic film covering a young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Those are some of my favourite films. Not just anime films.

Cheers very much. I'm gonna check them out. I actually watched Grave of the Fireflies a few weeks ago. Don't know about you but it brought a lump to my throat.

Spectator of Suicide -> RE: BFI Anime (26/6/2012 1:47:48 PM)

Man I would love to get my hands on:

DevilMan (remember when this used to be on Bravo all time?) I taped it off there.

Urotosukidoji - I know its out on DVD but its heavily censored.

The Guyver - The original not the recent remake. I can't remember how many episodes there were.

Anyone know where I can get them?

Chojin -> RE: BFI Anime (27/6/2012 7:53:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectator of Suicide

Man I would love to get my hands on:

DevilMan (remember when this used to be on Bravo all time?) I taped it off there.

Urotosukidoji - I know its out on DVD but its heavily censored.

The Guyver - The original not the recent remake. I can't remember how many episodes there were.

Anyone know where I can get them?

I'm pretty sure all of the above are available on R1 and will contain less cuts than the R2 versions.

Devilman - Pretty sure you could get a R1 release of this on DVD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devilman-DVD-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B00000JL4M/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1340780032&sr=1-1

Urotsukidoji - You'll want the perfect collection for the true uncut version. I own this one and it splits the film version back into it's original 5 OVA Format. Entire scenes are removed in the film. Any pixelation in this version isn't editing, the pixelation was added due to censorship laws in Japan so it is truly uncut. As for the sequels if you're interested, you're best off just getting the R1 compilations of each which I also own. You won't find episodes 1+2 of Urotsukidoji 4 as they've been refused censorship in the UK multiple times so your only choice is importing.

1 (+2)- perfect collection
3 - compilation of episodes 1-4
4 - compilation of episodes 1-3

Misc - The Urotsuki - go with the US Version....

This is the best way to get the most uncut versions. The german versions of Urotsukidoji 3 and 4 do contain some material which was cut even in the US Versions and an additional scene at the end of 4 which was the scrapped project for Urotsukidoji 5. I don't believe this version contains english subtitles though so you're best off going with the above - also avoid the 'hell on earth' R1 collection. This is the movie versions of each series and is very very incomplete.

The Guyver - again, i'm pretty sure there's an R1 release....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guyver-DVD-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B00008979Y/ref=sr_1_14?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1340780020&sr=1-14

----------------

The above are just quick links to show they do exist, you'll want to shop around for the best prices [;)]

Spectator of Suicide -> RE: BFI Anime (30/6/2012 1:56:02 AM)

Thanks, Chojin. Much appreciated. [:D]

AnneSofieLoveMovies -> RE: All Things Anime (7/10/2012 1:47:23 PM)

Hi:)

I've been looking for anime series in about two years now. I've read thousands of lists in that time, and have also watched many episodes of Death Note, without really getting hooked. I've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. it was okay but not that great in my opinion. I have watched Mushishi, wich i liked. And I really love the work of Miyazaki.

However i feel there's MANY series out there just waiting to be watched and loved by me.. but i really don't know where to start.. :-/

So i need YOUR help :)

What should i watch? what do you recommend? It would be great if they had a "deeper" meaning..

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (8/10/2012 6:48:29 PM)

Cowboy Bebop is regarded as one of the finest series ever made, in terms of films I'd go for Akira and Ghost in The Shell - these are all intelligent sci fi anime

Chojin -> RE: All Things Anime (14/10/2012 7:51:27 AM)

[image]http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/84432.jpg[/image]

Watched this last night and loved it. At first I thought the CG was sub-par and not a patch on the recent Tekken CG Film or Appleseed Ex Machina.

However after the initial action scene it started to gel, the grunts showed some personality traits and it became a fun, stupid, action filled romp. This is the kind of movie Epic would make if Gears of War was adapted.

For fans of the original film there's also a lot to like - the three original characters are included and there's plenty of new characters to take in.

Recommended for fans of Anime CG, Starship Troopers, Gore and action films in general! stupid but fun fare with some great artistic direction, the wormhole scene was beautiful.

Kumadori -> RE: All Things Anime (16/10/2012 3:40:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AnneSofieLoveMovies

Hi:)

I've been looking for anime series in about two years now. I've read thousands of lists in that time, and have also watched many episodes of Death Note, without really getting hooked. I've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion. it was okay but not that great in my opinion. I have watched Mushishi, wich i liked. And I really love the work of Miyazaki.

However i feel there's MANY series out there just waiting to be watched and loved by me.. but i really don't know where to start.. :-/

So i need YOUR help :)

What should i watch? what do you recommend? It would be great if they had a "deeper" meaning..

Honestly, it depend on your tastes. There it literally something for everyone in the world of anime. Can you give more of an idea as to what genres you're into?

If you're looking for action coupled with a great story (in my opinion) and lots of different characters that impact the overall direction of the series, try Fullmetal Alchemist or the newer version, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

Aside from the episode count the main difference between the two is that Brotherhood follows the story of the Manga all the way through, where as the original series followed it to a point and then deviated and went down a different route - mainly because at the manga was still being published at the time of the series broadcasting, and there wasn't any more they could follow.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: All Things Anime (12/11/2012 9:29:41 PM)

Went to the Anime Day at the Leeds Film Festival and I can't recommend three of the films enough.

Wolf Children - a charming and occasionally funny movie that will go down a storm with any Miyazaki fan. 4/5
http://www.leedsfilm.com/films/wolf-children/

Berserk Golden Age Arc Parts 1 & 2 - If anyone remembers Legend of Arislan they will love this. More violent and brutal but with fantasy elements. Its a must see for any anime fan. 4.5/5
http://www.leedsfilm.com/films/berserk-golden-age-arc-1-egg-king/
http://www.leedsfilm.com/films/berserk-golden-age-arc-2-battle-doldrey/

Asura - Best of the day for me. Extremely harrowing and emotionally charged film set in Japan in a time of famine & hardship it follows the story of an abandoned little boy who turns to cannibalism to survive. Amazing animation and story. Almost had me in tears at the end with the most empathy for a cannibal I have ever had in any movie ever. 5/5
http://www.leedsfilm.com/films/asura/

elfzooey -> RE: All Things Anime (10/1/2013 7:02:31 PM)

Just finished watching the 'Sword Art Online' series and I've got to say it was so frustrating to watch. The Twitch review sums it up nicely.

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Md8AsOVtY-M/UDF2cM9EB8I/AAAAAAAAANc/-IFAjchJPOs/s1600/Sword+Art+Online+-+OP1.5+-+Large+01.jpg[/image]

quote:

"Sword Art Online represents everything wrong with Japanese animation right now. No, seriously - and this isn't because the show is irredeemably bad or anything. Rather it takes a decent premise and over the course of twenty-five episodes proceeds to waste pretty much every last scrap of potential this premise offers up. Every time the plot presents an opportunity to explore a compelling moral dilemma, to better develop someone who could be an interesting character, to think about the implications of some new aspect of the world the writers have created, the show sidelines it without fail in favour of an easy out. This is what happens when you pander to a core audience of unrepentant nerds; the big questions never get answered, characters show neither growth nor depth and the world never gets explained in anything beyond lazy, formulaic clichés.

The plot is familiar territory, a near-future setting where the invention of fully immersive virtual reality means videogames have taken a staggering technological leap forward. The massively multiplayer epic fantasy world Sword Art Online has just come out of beta testing and thrown open its doors to the public. Thousands of players are taking their first halting steps through the game's early stages, only when they try to log out they discover something's gone terribly wrong. Their headsets won't let them log out, and the software's been wired to kill anyone who dies in-game. If they're forcibly removed, they die too. The only way to escape is to defeat the final boss - but persuading enough people to work together to get this done proves to be no easy task.

The audience surrogate is Kirito, a shy young man who's on familiar ground, to some extent, as an avid games player and a former beta tester for Sword Art Online. Painfully conscious of the drawbacks that come with being so much more skilled than most of the hoi-polloi, after an early attempt to make friends goes disastrously wrong Kirito takes to throwing himself into the fray solo, shunning human contact as much as possible. Then he meets Asuna, a girl in one of the most powerful guilds attempting to carve a path towards the final boss, whose single-minded determination to beat the game and free everyone means she's suffering emotionally. The two of them start a tentative personal as well as professional relationship, and in the process discover their new home is a world much deeper and stranger than they'd previously imagined.

"If you die in the game, you die in real life" may have become an instant punchline, a mark of a writer who's singularly failed to 'get' modern technology, but there's still life in the idea for all that. It's hardly wholly original territory - Tad William's monolithic Otherland books covered a good deal of this same ground already - but in some respects Sword Art Online seems poised to explore it further still. What would it do to people to be locked up in a virtual space for more than two years? How would societal rules re-establish themselves, or alternatively break down? How would this change given how differently the virtual world works to the real one? What could anyone do to get people to risk their lives breaking out? And what would happen when they finally did break out - how would it change them, and how would they act towards the people they'd shared that experience with?

Which is what makes it so frustrating that Sword Art Online squanders nigh on every single opportunity to do something interesting with answering any of these questions. From the moment Kirito helps one of the supporting cast acclimatise to the game, to combat in a virtual space, surviving and gaining experience, it's painfully obvious this is a show catering first and foremost to people who know all there is to know about the subject, or who like to think they do. It's not completely impenetrable to a newcomer, but there's a definite air of blasé indifference throughout. There's no real exploration of what it would mean to get stuck here for someone who'd never played such a game in their lives. Kirito spends a couple of episodes soul-searching then promptly transforms into awkward Jesus for the rest of the show - solving everyone's problems, trouncing enemy after enemy.

None of the big questions get picked over for more than a few minutes, if that. There's a moment early on where it's revealed everyone has been forced to use their real appearance, rather than their usual avatar - then it's never touched on again. Kirito and Asuna's halting friendship gets a couple of throwaway lines of development, then it's decided yes, online relationships are exactly the same as real life, case closed. The breaking down and rebuilding of societal conventions gets trotted out to justify a couple of tired, predictable subplots then promptly shelved again. Almost half the show goes past before anyone mentions that by the way, aren't we all wasting away in hospital beds in the real world? Shouldn't we try and get out of here before we, you know, die?

But why chew on something genuinely meaty when you risk the nerds tuning out? Sword Art Online is wish-fulfilment more than anything else; people don't watch this stuff to ponder the mysteries of life, they want to think wow, what if I were trapped inside a videogame, with a few token nods to something more substantial to make them feel they're not wasting their time. Witness how the show hits every idiot beat Japanese animation's been in thrall to for the past ten years, from a pointless incest sub-plot to a brain-dead cartoon psychopath of a villain to turning a reasonably strong female lead into a flower vase with a side order of tentacle rape (gotta have tentacle rape, eh, Japan?), to say nothing of countless plot holes and lazy writing (anyone want to explain why there's a convenient back door for the hero in a virtual world?).

Sure, Sword Art Online could be worse; it could be any one of the countless harem shows drowning the medium in a tidal wave of bland, interchangeable beautiful people character designs, or all the big shonen action shows currently running on fumes, desperately throwing increasingly convoluted plotlines and dumb spin-offs in all directions. Sword Art Online is different, at least, and shows flickers of promise across twenty-five episodes... but it simply can't forget that the same people who buy into the soap-opera crud and the action nonsense pay its bills, and the slavish insistence on giving them all the vacuous melodrama and incongruous fan-service they want ultimately brings it down, and hard. Sword Art Online has already been described in some circles as the best new anime in years: weep, weep at the idea that could actually be true. "

Nexus Wookie -> RE: BFI Anime (10/1/2013 8:30:48 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not a massive Anime fan but I have seen Ghost in the Shell and watched Akira a couple of nights ago. Both are awesome.

If anyone has any other good suggestions for anime movies I should definitely watch next then please let me know.

Tekkonkinkreet - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831888/
Action / Urban Fantasy / Gangs
In Treasure Town, life can be both peaceful and violent. This is never truer than for our heroes, Black and White - two street kids who claim to traverse the urban city as if it were their own.

Ninja Scroll - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107692/
Action / Samurai / Fantasy
A Ronin takes an mission which isn't quite what it seems dragging him back to his past and his demons.

Princess Mononoke - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/
Action / Japanese Fantasy
On a journey to find the cure for a Tatarigami's curse, Ashitaka finds himself in the middle of a war.

Grave of the fireflies - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095327/
Drama / War
A tragic film covering a young boy and his little sister's struggle to survive in Japan during World War II.

Those are some of my favourite films. Not just anime films.

Cheers very much. I'm gonna check them out. I actually watched Grave of the Fireflies a few weeks ago. Don't know about you but it brought a lump to my throat.

Yeah Fireflies is a really moving film. I too had a lump in my throat. Such a beautifully animated film with a humanistic and tragic story at the centre. One of Miyazaki's best.

Might i also suggest the following;

Vampire Hunter D & Vampire Huntet D: Bloodlust; both are awesome anime. The first one being a favourite of mine alongside Ninja Scroll. The sequel is pretty good too, Yoshiaki Kawajiri's storytelling and animation style is really appealing.

Jackblack The Movie; brilliant anime about a surgeon with 'the hands of god'! A great mystery thriller too.

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind; a beautiful Eco-minded classic by Miyazaki san.

Laputa: Castle in the Sky; another early effort from Miyazaki. One of my favourites.

Just a few which comes to mind. And of course you're absolutely right - Akira and Ghost in the Shell are indeed awesome!

MASH4077 -> RE: BFI Anime (6/2/2013 1:41:21 PM)

Had a great time last month at the Prince Charles again (I don't work for them, honest!), they had a Ghibli triple bill - finally got to see My Neighbour Totoro (my favourite) on the big screen, along with Porco Rosso and Spirited Away [:D].

The downstairs screen was pretty full up, which was good to see, and (presumably because of this) they say they are going to play through ALL of the Ghibli's in double bills.

The first is Saturday 6th April - Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Grave of the Fireflies [note to self: bring tissues]

Second on Sunday 28th April - My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

All are subtitled Japanese.

LINK

Also on their 3-month planner they are listing a Ghost in the Shell Double on Saturday 20th April but this isn't up on their website yet.

AxlReznor -> RE: BFI Anime (6/2/2013 2:46:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MASH4077

Had a great time last month at the Prince Charles again (I don't work for them, honest!), they had a Ghibli triple bill - finally got to see My Neighbour Totoro (my favourite) on the big screen, along with Porco Rosso and Spirited Away [:D].

The downstairs screen was pretty full up, which was good to see, and (presumably because of this) they say they are going to play through ALL of the Ghibli's in double bills.

The first is Saturday 6th April - Laputa: Castle in the Sky and Grave of the Fireflies [note to self: bring tissues]

Second on Sunday 28th April - My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service.

All are subtitled Japanese.

LINK

Also on their 3-month planner they are listing a Ghost in the Shell Double on Saturday 20th April but this isn't up on their website yet.

Everything you just wrote is awesome... how much are tickets for this place, generally?

MASH4077 -> RE: BFI Anime (6/2/2013 3:24:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Everything you just wrote is awesome... how much are tickets for this place, generally?

Tickets for each double bill are £12 for non-members (£7 for members).

Membership is £10 per year, so if you're going to a few films there it's well worth it. Also you get a discount at Forbidden Planet and The Cinema Store [:D]

EDIT: Plus a 75p booking fee if you book tickets online

Chojin -> RE: BFI Anime (29/3/2013 8:05:12 AM)

I haven't posted my recent watches here in some time, so here goes!

Michiko to Hatchin (2008 - 2009) - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5779

Tried to hard to be Samurai Champloo/Cowboy Bebop. It wasn't really that fun, it had a confusing storyline and the ending just makes you think what was the point?

Naruto Shippuden (2007 - ) - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=4880

Still sticking with this. The manga is as great as it ever was, with new twists and turns and gripping moments. The anime seems to limp along but on the plus side for a weekly show the animation is top notch. I'd still prefer to see a show like this switch to fortnightly or even monthly episodes in order to allow less filler and a greater show.

Berserk Movie #2 (2012) - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=7991

Just go watch these, epic in every sense of the word. I turned my surround sound right up, sat back and was immersed in the world of Berserk for the seemingly short 90 minute run time. The CG improved a lot since the first film and the orchestral score hits all the right notes. I can't wait for the third film and beyond.....i'll be arranging a berserk night soon, one the third film is released on BD :)

Gintama (2006) - http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=3468

For my next project I wanted to watch something meaty that had a lot of episodes - and Gintamas 250+ episode count seemed to be just what I was looking for. It ranks very high on the AniDB user charts and other than the very rare poor review it seems to be universally loved. I wouldn't say i'm a huge fan of slapstick/humor but I enjoyed GTO, Golden Boy and the comedy elements in countless other anime shows. I'm about four episodes in so far so I can't say what I think just yet. Usually with these kind of shows it takes at least 20-30 episodes before all of the character development and introductions have aired and it starts to get amazing.

--------------------------------

I'm sure there's a lot more that i've watched here and there in between these shows but that's what you're getting for now :p

All Nighter again at the end of the month, let's hope for a good lineup - (Berserk Movie #1 please!)

MASH4077 -> Ghibli at PCC (8/4/2013 10:01:06 AM)

Well, interestingly enough, there was a last minute schedule change to the Ghibli double bill at the Prince Charles on Saturday. They couldn't get Grave of the Fireflies, and won't be able to get My Neighbor Totoro - interesting because the reason is that Studio Canal are planning a cinema re-release.

So Saturday was Laputa: Castle in the Sky as planned, followed by Howl's Moving Castle. Both were subtitled, and it was pretty well attended too, which was good to see, even if it did mean queuing up outside [:D]

Next one is now Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service (28th April), then Porco Rosso and Pom Poko on 4th May, and then Whisper of the Heart (one of my favourites) and Princess Mononoke on 25th May.

Chojin -> RE: Ghibli at PCC (12/4/2013 6:29:53 PM)

Next All Nighter lineup has been announced and tickets went on sale today. I'll be going with a couple of mates - it's been quite a while since I went to my last one.

Berserk on the big screen did it for me, I would have gone to see this regardless of the other choices. SF2 will also be epic. Loups is a bit rubbish, and I don't know anything about the other two but i'll be taking my specs.

009 Re: Cyborg (in 3D)
War of the Worlds: Goliath 3D
Loups=Garous
Berserk (pt 1)
Street Fighter II

http://www.facebook.com/events/450373861705327/
http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Stratford_London/film/Sci_Fi_London_Anime_Allnight/

Edit: and the tickets are only £25 - they've always been £35 previously :) got us some nice seats at the back

the anomaly -> RE: Ghibli at PCC (6/5/2013 7:25:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

Next All Nighter lineup has been announced and tickets went on sale today. I'll be going with a couple of mates - it's been quite a while since I went to my last one.

Berserk on the big screen did it for me, I would have gone to see this regardless of the other choices. SF2 will also be epic. Loups is a bit rubbish, and I don't know anything about the other two but i'll be taking my specs.

Loups=Garous
Berserk (pt 1)
Street Fighter II

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Stratford_London/film/Sci_Fi_London_Anime_Allnight/

Edit: and the tickets are only £25 - they've always been £35 previously :) got us some nice seats at the back

Reviews please!

First one I've wanted to see in a while. Looks like an interesting line up! I was looking to go but it came about so quickly.

Good night?

Chojin -> RE: Ghibli at PCC (8/5/2013 5:50:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

Loups=Garous
Berserk (pt 1)
Street Fighter II

Reviews please!

First one I've wanted to see in a while. Looks like an interesting line up! I was looking to go but it came about so quickly.

Good night?

Was very good thanks - and as you know i'll be brutally honest in how I felt [;)]

Venue:

Pros - Much bigger than the Apollo (not screens), constant bar service and closer toilets
Cons - Smaller seats and a bit of extra underground travel. I also wouldn't say it was in the nicest area but then this is coming from a non-Londoner[;)]

009 Re Cyborg:

I didn't really know what to expect with this one. I didn't do my research and wanted to 'go in dry' and to be honest I was pleasantly surprised. The film was obviously made to be shown in 3D, the animation was simply gorgeous to look at. The fights mostly took place mid-flight or in rain and every little drop of rain comes flying at you in slow-mo. The action was easy to follow and there were some great action set pieces. I'm not sure if it would have the same impact not being in 3D but the film definitely benefited from it. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Would recommend, especially if you can see it in 3D - very fun and just so pretty to look at.

Berserk (pt 1)

Show quite early in the Morning so I was pleased again! I expected to have to wait until 8AM to see this one. This was the film I went to see and since i'd watched it before I knew what to expect. Whilst huge chunks of the manga are butchered and only glanced over it is the best adaptation that fans can hope for so rather than be sour about it I will appreciate what I got. The first film is quite slow when compared to the rest of the story and the majority is character development with the pay offs occuring in the second and third films.

Still, it's Berserk and therefore awesome.

I gave this one about 4 minutes before I decided to get some sleep. A malaysian/US collaboration. Think US Voice Actors trying to put on Irish/English accents - absolutely awful. One quote I recall was an Irishman saying 'He would climb over 10 naked women for a beer'. I was kept awake by this abomination and even had a walk around the cinema trying to find some shelter but all I found was another Mad Dog energy drink supplied by the lovely volunteers.

Street Fighter II

Another film I was looking forward to.

This one's going to be a tough one.....

Let me start by saying this is the film that got me started on anime at the age of 10. I loved it and still love it to this day. But in English Dub. I was happy to watch the film with subs as that's how I now watch 100% of my anime but the soundtrack is also so vastly different from the original that it changes the entire film.

The fight between Vega and Chun Li is supposed to be a visceral and brutal exchange of blows and the Manga rock music fits it perfectly adding real energy to the scene. But with the Japanese Audio you get a J-Pop Radio song blasting out of Chun Li's radio. It was pure cheese at a lot of parts and it was really really dated. For once this is a rare occasion where the English Audio is superior to the original soundtrack. Try watching it if you don't believe me guys! :)

Loups=Garous

By this time it was nearly 8AM and 2 out of 3 of our group had seen this before, so we opted to leave. I didn't think much of the film so I didn't want to stick around for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall another fantastic experience as it's not always about how good the films are. The guys at Sci-Fi London do a fantastic job hosting these things and are always helpful and accommodating.

Chojin -> RE: BFI Anime (29/6/2013 10:58:59 AM)

New sheet I purchased for the spare room :) The room needed some character in it.

[image]http://chojin.devour.org/images/WP_20130629_001.jpg[/image]

Chojin -> RE: BFI Anime (8/8/2013 9:29:36 PM)

What's everyone watching at the moment?

I'm making my way through Appleseed XIII. It's a bit of a mixed bag really. Despite it's obviously low budget it does have some moments that shine and some good episodes but it's definitely nowhere close to the quality of the movies.

the anomaly -> RE: BFI Anime (11/8/2013 11:47:29 AM)

ATTACK ON TITAN

The opening alone get's me all hyped up ... [:)]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMYg1BMTBdU

Chojin -> RE: BFI Anime (12/8/2013 7:06:16 AM)

quote:

ATTACK ON TITAN

Yeah I really want to watch this one, but I prefer to wait until a full series has aired. Also being based on an ongoing series it won't have a proper ending - but been following this one for months and will get it soon. Looks right up my street!

the anomaly -> RE: BFI Anime (27/8/2013 12:03:22 AM)

quote:

quote:

ATTACK ON TITAN

Yeah I really want to watch this one, but I prefer to wait until a full series has aired. Also being based on an ongoing series it won't have a proper ending - but been following this one for months and will get it soon. Looks right up my street!

I've not watched anything else but it's the only thing that's piqued my interest in awhile!

Chojin -> RE: BFI Anime (1/9/2013 9:18:14 AM)

Watched quite a varied list of films this week

Blood-C Movie:

So much better than the series it directly sequels. I don't think it's entirely necessary to suffer through the series to enjoy this film. The opening action sequence is a nice homage to the original Blood TLV OVA and sets the tone of the film nicely. It's a lot darker than the fluffy Blood-C series and I quite enjoyed the movie. Not enough to recommend it as being outstanding but it was fun enough.

Iron Man - Rise of the Technovores

To be honest this was quite shit....best to steer clear. Dull, Dull, Dull.

Ghost In The Shell - Arise OVA 1

A nice start to this prequel series - hopefully the remaining episodes are released soon. I'm not a fan of the art style and character re-design but I love a good bit of GITS and it was fun to see how the Major ends up joining Section 9.

Naruto Shippuden Movie 6

Non-Canon related guff about Tobi creating a parallel world where our heroes get what their heart truly desires. Naruto ends up being in a world with his parents alive and Sakura gets the freedom she wants from her parents. Usual Naruto movie fare - if you're familiar with previous movies you'll know how forgettable and average the film will be :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....I like anime, honest.

boove -> RE: BFI Anime (24/9/2013 7:52:24 PM)

Has anyone seen this yet:

http://www.kotonohanoniwa.jp/

Looks absolutely stunning.

I stumbled upon when I saw this earlier:

http://9gag.com/gag/a8W8EYd?ref=fb.s

elab49 -> RE: BFI Anime (24/9/2013 10:03:35 PM)

Yup - the park and the water is some of the most beautifully rendered animation I've seen (the scenes in the rain and meeting up in the pagoda thing).

boove -> RE: BFI Anime (25/9/2013 8:59:05 AM)

Ooh! Excellent. Where did you see it?

elab49 -> RE: BFI Anime (25/9/2013 1:37:59 PM)

It's been out on DVD for a few months - not just Japan (which issued a really early subtitled DVD) - there's a US release now as well.

boove -> RE: BFI Anime (26/9/2013 3:34:39 PM)

Any idea if/when the blu might get a release over here. It is region locked. Much rather watch it on blu than DVD.

Page: <<   < prev  37 38 39 [40] 41   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI