RE: All Things Anime (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (6/6/2007 4:35:13 PM)

I've seen the first few episodes of Excel Saga and thought it was hilarious even though I didn't get some of the anime references. I was waiting so long for the next DVDs to appear from Lovefilm I gave up in the end.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (6/6/2007 4:40:23 PM)

Is there any sites or places you would recommend for really good Anime (tv or film) and good places to buy them (excluding the ones i mentioned)?[:)]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (6/6/2007 5:06:41 PM)

I don't really buy anime a great deal to be honest so I wouldn't know any particular sites.

In terms of on the net if you go to http://yhbt.mine.nu/t/ and have a torrent program you can get Bleach and Naruto.

If you pay a few dollars you can join NarutoFan who have loads of series to download. http://www.narutofan.com/

For info this site is meant to be pretty good :  http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (6/6/2007 5:12:56 PM)

For a second i thought you were going to write a review, Fluke.

Right curtaintwitcher the first review, hmm..let's start with...Voices of a Distant Star as it is my favourite anime thats not from Ghibli.

Set in 2046, the human race is under threat from a new alien race with aim of destroying the human race. The story follows the love of Mikako and Noboru across the far reaches of space.

This wonderful film (short mind, only 25 minutes!) was written, directed, animated, produced even voiced (before a studio revoiced it) by one man: Makato Shinkai. Apparently, in Japan he is hailed as the 'New Miyazaki'. Personally, i think he is different but in a good way, so whatever. This Sci-fi has accurate science (this is what creates the tragedy), love, brilliant animation (by one man!) and a wonderful story that is likely to have you in tears. Mikako joins the space fleet to defend the human race and has only her phone to keep in contact with her love, Noboru. As she journeys further into space her messages take longer and longer to reach Noboru. Thus, he ages whilst she stays as young as when she left him. Across time and space they try to keep their love alive.

One aspect i really liked about VODS was the music. Funnily enough, Shinkai didn't do that. Even so, the storytelling is wonderful and he has managed to create a beautful and poignant film with real emotional depth. This may be a film that you will love and join the acclaim (it has won a couple of awards) or you will find it highly overrated (i doubt anyone would hate it). There are space battles in this film too, and they are truly impressive. So if you like your mechas you do get that too. The animation throughout is beautiful, especially on Earth early on in the film with the blossoming relationship. Although, the only way to keep in contact is by text message (they get a good signal across space, Vodafone must have expanded their horizons) which may seem a bit 'twee', Shinkai has managed to give this impersonal aspect a real human and tragic touch that will have you in tears come the end of the film.

I don't want to say much else as i may ruin an aspect of the film (hope i haven't done already!), but this is a film that everyone should see, especially as it is only 25 minutes long. If you have any interest in anime, get this. If you are starting out in anime also get this. And then tell everyone else; even if they don't like anime. [:)] 5/5

That ok curtaintwitcher? I won't be writing another one for a while so i will let everyone else join the party!

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (7/6/2007 2:11:20 PM)

That's good. I will have to re-watch a film and review it at the weekend.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (7/6/2007 2:23:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mafyou

For a second i thought you were going to write a review, Fluke.

Right curtaintwitcher the first review, hmm..let's start with...Voices of a Distant Star as it is my favourite anime thats not from Ghibli.

Set in 2046, the human race is under threat from a new alien race with aim of destroying the human race. The story follows the love of Mikako and Noboru across the far reaches of space.

This wonderful film (short mind, only 25 minutes!) was written, directed, animated, produced even voiced (before a studio revoiced it) by one man: Makato Shinkai. Apparently, in Japan he is hailed as the 'New Miyazaki'. Personally, i think he is different but in a good way, so whatever. This Sci-fi has accurate science (this is what creates the tragedy), love, brilliant animation (by one man!) and a wonderful story that is likely to have you in tears. Mikako joins the space fleet to defend the human race and has only her phone to keep in contact with her love, Noboru. As she journeys further into space her messages take longer and longer to reach Noboru. Thus, he ages whilst she stays as young as when she left him. Across time and space they try to keep their love alive.

One aspect i really liked about VODS was the music. Funnily enough, Shinkai didn't do that. Even so, the storytelling is wonderful and he has managed to create a beautful and poignant film with real emotional depth. This may be a film that you will love and join the acclaim (it has won a couple of awards) or you will find it highly overrated (i doubt anyone would hate it). There are space battles in this film too, and they are truly impressive. So if you like your mechas you do get that too. The animation throughout is beautiful, especially on Earth early on in the film with the blossoming relationship. Although, the only way to keep in contact is by text message (they get a good signal across space, Vodafone must have expanded their horizons) which may seem a bit 'twee', Shinkai has managed to give this impersonal aspect a real human and tragic touch that will have you in tears come the end of the film.

I don't want to say much else as i may ruin an aspect of the film (hope i haven't done already!), but this is a film that everyone should see, especially as it is only 25 minutes long. If you have any interest in anime, get this. If you are starting out in anime also get this. And then tell everyone else; even if they don't like anime. [:)] 5/5

Yeah I really enjoyed this as well. Even though the whole text message-through time-and-space thing is a bit weird it is a good looking and rather moving little anime.

I'd like to see more of these types of short anime one-offs but I suppose they won't make as much money as a proper film/ series.

Invisible Spoiler :

Judging by the length of time it took for the messages to arrive by the end she must have died years beforehand which means the guy was effectively receiving messages from a ghost. Really rather sad

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (7/6/2007 3:47:47 PM)

Oh, i just read your spoiler Fluke, and i never thought of that. Really is sad. Have you seen The Place Promised To Us In Our Early Days by Shinkai?

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (8/6/2007 1:43:16 PM)

Ok, I will post a review of an Anime soon, i promise![;)]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (8/6/2007 1:57:57 PM)

quote:

Oh, i just read your spoiler Fluke, and i never thought of that. Really is sad. Have you seen The Place Promised To Us In Our Early Days by Shinkai?

I have never even heard of it! I will look it up

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (8/6/2007 10:24:32 PM)

I looks really good actually.

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (8/6/2007 10:31:30 PM)

Yeah, i plan to get that at some point (along with 1001 other films).

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (8/6/2007 10:35:26 PM)

quote:

Yeah, i plan to get that at some point (along with 1001 other films).

[:D]Same here, same here. (That's including Anime).

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (9/6/2007 12:14:58 PM)

Haha yeah, tragic isn't it? Anyway, CT , where's your first review? 

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (9/6/2007 6:29:40 PM)

I will have it by tommorrow.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (12/6/2007 11:58:10 AM)

Anyone seen Steamboy? A really imaginative, action packed epic anime

[image]http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geunKEem5GMkQAigZWBQx./SIG=13gsppg77/EXP=1181731844/**http%3A//honenheim.free.fr/images/Japanime/Steamboy/Steamboy%2520-%2520bateau%2520scarlett.jpg[/image]
[image]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9ibyGVQe25GisgAGQejzbkF/SIG=12i4k3aaf/EXP=1181732048/**http%3A//www.cartonionline.com/gif/film/steamboy/Steamboy_13.jpg[/image]

[image]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9iby4C4e25GkBwAlxGjzbkF/SIG=138j0tunh/EXP=1181732152/**http%3A//honenheim.free.fr/images/Japanime/Steamboy/Steamboy%2520-%2520Mongolfiere.jpg[/image]

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (12/6/2007 12:37:24 PM)

Steamboy, was creative, looked amazing, at times purely excitng, but bad narration ruins it.

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (12/6/2007 1:04:56 PM)

I will definitely have to watch it. I've heard a lot about it but apparently like Deviation says it's not brilliant. Is it the film with Patrick Stewart lending his voice to the dub?

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (12/6/2007 2:26:09 PM)

It's a good film, worth watching for the animation and the action at the end. But still bad narration and to be honest, slightly forgettable, can't remeber who the villain was, if there was one........ Oh, and the setting is good, but done better in Howl's Moving castle. A missed opportunity to be the new AKIRA.

the anomaly -> RE: All Things Anime (12/6/2007 2:56:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Steamboy, was creative, looked amazing, at times purely excitng, but bad narration ruins it.

I agree. Bad story telling. Looked brilliant though.

Deviation -> RE: All Things Anime (12/6/2007 3:04:32 PM)

For me, this is one of the most beautiful animes ever made, but it seems to have been forgotten.

[image]http://titulky.icr.cz/mini/JinRoh.jpg[/image][image]http://home.arcor.de/anime-paradise/Jin-Roh/Pics/Jin-Roh21.jpg[/image][image]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a250/RikiOhh/098/Jin%20Roh/13007.jpg[/image][image]http://www.asiaexpress.it/img_temp/jinroh6.jpg[/image]

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: All Things Anime (13/6/2007 11:56:25 AM)

Christ I was waiting for ages for Lovefilm to get a hold of Jin Ro : The Wolf Brigade - I still haven't bloody seen it, it's meant to be brilliant.

I'd agree the story is a bit lacking for Steamboy but if you like anime I really think it is one you should watch for the pure effort that has gone into it.

enemysprout -> RE: All Things Anime (13/6/2007 3:29:45 PM)

New topic, I really enjoyed the street fighter 2 animated movie and quite enjoyed the Alpha movie.  Are any of the series any good, such as Street Fighter 2 V.

Ta

rockerjo -> RE: All Things Anime (13/6/2007 9:28:24 PM)

hey its been a while since i last posted on this thread. Anybody seen tokyo godfathers? its usually cheap and a brilliant heartwarming tale. it looks cute but dont watch it with your kids. heres a few good anime series/movies for th ppl that keep asking.

tokyo godfathers
steamboy
howl's moving castle
spirited away
princess mononoke
GITS
GITS2
afro samurai
ninja scroll
hellsing
naruto
bleach
evangelion (and the directors cut)
coyote ragime show
elfen lied
rurouni kenshin (samurai x)
excel saga
this ugly yet beautiful world
cowboy bebop
knockin' on heaven door

it goes on...cheap anime dvds? has anybody spotted any bargains? and is transformers anime? its japnese but american...
is the movie X good?

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (14/6/2007 2:22:39 PM)

Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence. (Dir.Mamoru Oshii, 2004).

[image]http://www.mostricci.com/public/ghost-in-the-shell-2-innocence-3.jpg[/image]

GITS Innocence is (or rather was) the much anticipated sequel to Mamoru Oshii's anime classic Ghost In The Shell which first appeared on our screens in 1995. It is the year 2032, and the world is trying to come to terms with the technology revolution that is this future, the dwindling race of fully human specimens (us) has to peacefully co-exist with purely mechanical androids, and cyborgs which are essentially crossovers of synthetic and organic parts, but in GITS cyborgs still have a 'ghost' (robot with a human spirit, that in turn makes them very vulnerable to ghost hacking) which makes the distinction between humans and robots even shadier. Since the departure of the Major from the first film, the story centers around the now central character Batou, who also like his partner Major Motoko Kusanagi is so fully cyberized the only things that can distinguish him from a robot is his ghost and his brain. Several characters from the first film make another appearance like Togusa the mostly human member of Section 9, who is unwillingly partnered with Batou, Chief Aramaki and the technical expert Ishikawa. Batou and Togusa are sent to investigate a series of gruesome murders that have been committed by dolls for which their primary function is for sex. The dolls posses a ghost which makes them very desirable to their customers. They are traced back to a company called LOCO SOLUS, and as Togusa and Batou go ever deeper, they soon realise that these are no ordinary set of murders, or ordinary set of circumstances, and in turn realise that this could be an investigation that is too dangerous, even for Section 9 to come out of unharmed.....

I thought this film was masterful, because i like the way Oshii has used philosophy as the the basis for 'the plot underneath' as it were, as in the plot that is not staring us in the face and the fact that he makes you get your thinking caps on and go deeper than what's on the surface. Innocence is not a film just about cyborgs and government conspiracies, it is a film that explores inanimate objects like dolls as representative forms for artificial life, and as humanity strives for perfection, humans see dolls as the human form perfected, pure and unattainable, and yet only just out of reach. But judging from this film it seems that we would be willing to go to any lengths to obtain it, no matter what the sacrifice, albeit the very sacrifice of humanity itself. It arises the questions: 'How can we make the distinction of when we stop becoming human, and start to become something else entirely? Are we still human beings if we have lost the very substance that have made us what we are: Our humanity'? The animation although subdued is fluid and precise, and has an acute attention to detail. This makes the characters move with an amazing, flowing, graceful accuracy. Although some of the scenes (note the carnival sequence) border on the verge of surrealism, because the paranoia is enhanced by cybernetics so pervasive that even what you see may not be real, there is still a foundation in solid technological reality within them because the neuromancer-esque technology is extrapolated from current trends to maintain believability. Another thing i thought was truly touching was the feature of a Basset hound that is under Batou's wing, (in actual fact Oshii's trademark is him featuring a Basset Hound in all his films) the animation is beautifully done and every time it appears on the screen one can only feel the dog represents for Batou a cocoon of safety and the reassurance that there is still some human left in him, despite his synthetic body. He realises that just because his physique is synthetic, his heart in metaphorical sense doesn't have to be too. *Tear trickles down my face*. The plot, which is definitely not the main focus of the film is depicted as a solidly set cyber-noir detective tale, filled out with interesting concepts and sugared with sufficient twists and zags. It's the only part of the film that can honestly be said to have come from Shirow, but his hallmarks have generslly still carried through the into the film solidly: Dense involved politics, mixed morals, an overriding sense of paranoia and a pervasive use of almost alien technology. Asides from that there is no question that this is definitely Oshii's film. For the first time since his live action art film Talking Head, Oshii both writes and directs. The product is wildly different in theme but nearly identical to that early experiment, placing philosophy and deep, meaningful discussion above all else. The rest of Oshii's recent projects, though quite distinctive and set in various locales, also share this film's dark, atmospheric and subdued mood and palette of introspection, repressed violence, and a morbid view of the human condition.

To be honest with you, for me criticising this film has been quite a difficult task, because i didn't find as many obvious flaws as i thought i would, so i will simply just state to you what faults i thought the film did have. First off, if anyone else i knew reviewed the film they would probably criticise it for being a tough film to absorb, which is undoubtedly true if you have absolutely no clue about anything related to philosophy, because that is what much of the subject matter involves, and you may think that it is far too high brow and bordering on the most pretentious piece of popular culture since Brian Sewell. You may be right, but it all depends on how you view these types of films. The film is undoubtedly impressive for it's technology soaked dystopian visions and beautiful visuals, but i honestly understand and to some extent agree with people who tend towards the view that Oshii didn't care enough about the plot or characters to restrain his desire to lecture the viewer unendingly with his expansive knowledge on philosophy and show off his metaphoric prowess. Believe me, i am not exaggerating when i say that probably a full quarter of the dialogue is composed of truisms and quotes from sources ranging from eighteenth century enlightenment philosophers to the Bible. Though the encyclopedic vocabulary of the main protagonists is very impressive, large chunks of the film feel more like reading an entire edition of David Hume's An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding in the running time of two hours. You may enjoy the deep discussions and appreciate the fact that the film is brave enough to address such issues at length, but i understand the people that think more often than not it feels slightly pretentious, rather tedious and frankly slightly irritating. I do also wonder (although i personally did find the philosophical framework of it pretty intriguing), though there are some very interesting points raised, whether the types of people who are well-read and thoughtful enough to appreciate this film's philosophical exploration are personally inclined towards the notion that it is somewhat generic, as the film itself (as in the surface plot) doesn't really add anything particularly impressive to it's rather broad literature review (sarcastically referencing to the fact that the film's 'real' plot drive according to Oshii is the themes of philosophy, rather than the surface story of the LOCO SOLUS scandal that you are led to believe is the main plot theme). Some would be of the opinion that the clichés of the film are a great many indeed; the main characters quoting and citing poetry and philosophy to each other, rather than interacting in the normal fashion. But these in my opinion are merely very minute negative blips on an otherwise larger, more positive radar.

With philosophy, animation and action combined Oshii is able to weave a tale of mystery, excitement and imagination that delves (admittedly rather uncomfortably) deep into our psyches and tries to find an answer to the biggest question that humanity has the misfortune of being burdened with: 'What makes us human'? For anyone who has studied philosophy or is interested in it, i definitely recommend this title, but if you are not too hot on the philosophical aspect of these things, but just want to view the outstanding animation and the action, then i would still recommend this to you without hesitation. So essentially this film will still have something for you if you prefer one aspect to another, for Innocence is a rarity in cinema which accommodates all it's traits in (almost) perfect harmony. Okay, so the two aspects of the plot are slightly shaky, but they are still not big enough a deal so that they spoil your overall enjoyment of the feature. It has it's flaws like any other film, but the scale of the project seemed so vast and unreal that you wouldn't have expected it to have come out of production without a few battle scars now would you? You have to hand it to Oshii regardless, what he achieved was still pretty damn special and it is a very unique film despite all the problems that it encountered. Which is something the likes of Hollywood seems to be lacking these day's. From reading this conclusion and this entire review, despite the faults Oshii has in his films, you can say this for him: The man really does try, and no matter what (usually) reasonably trivial flaws occur in them the final products always turn out to be something incredibly special in their own way, which is a statement you couldn't apply to most film directors. This is a truly sublime film, that will leave your head buzzing with questions- and possibly confusion.

8/10.

rockerjo -> RE: All Things Anime (14/6/2007 6:16:34 PM)

heres a review of cowboy bebop the movie: (it is quite illiterate)

Plot:
Ok, Vincent is a bioterrorist that unleashes a poisonous gas in a car  crash. Faye  witnesses the accident and spies on Vincent. Trying to catch him, Spike encounters Elektra a bounty hunter that is also trying to track down the dirty terrorist. On the day of the halloween party, Vincent decides to blow up a giant puppet containing the virus, but Spike, Faye and Elektra have other plans...

Good stuff:
With brilliant fight scenes and the occasional joke, Cowboy Bebop dosen't fail to please. Ed is the strange computer hacker (An 11 year old) that squeezes in a few laughs and Spike's wit puts a permanent grin on your face. Most of this movie is very dark and mature. A smart, intelligent movie.

Bad stuff:
As much as i praised the character, Ed can get annoying there is also a few unneeded scenes in this. But they are the only things stopping this from 5 stars.

[sm=fighting01.gif][sm=icon_smile_pistols.gif] 4/5 A must see.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (14/6/2007 6:44:18 PM)

I need to see it. I need to add in some criticisms of the film in my  review too.

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (14/6/2007 6:50:13 PM)

I wondered where you'd been CT! Have you been locked in your shed drafting that review? [:D]

It was good, i like it and very much reflects my views on the film. Made me want to buy the SAC which is £5.99 for the individual dvds in HMV.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (14/6/2007 6:53:30 PM)

No actually, it only took me about twenty minutes.

TMWNS liked it he said my review made has made him want to see it now, everyone wants me to start a films list. I will, in due time but with careful planning and preperation...........

mafyou -> RE: All Things Anime (14/6/2007 7:03:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: curtain twitcher

TMWNS liked it he said my review made has made him want to see it now, everyone wants me to start a films list. I will, in due time but with careful planning and preperation...........

Sounds good to me. I very much look forward to it. Should prove to be very interesting reading. You can learn a lot from a persons film list.

curtain twitcher -> RE: All Things Anime (15/6/2007 6:25:41 PM)

Blood: The Last Vampire. (Dir.Hiroyuki Kitakubo, 2000).

[image]http://www.blogdecine.com/images/blood%20the%20last%20vampire%20(3).jpg[/image]

Blood: The Last Vampire burst on to our screens in the year 2000. It was created by the same people behind the much loved anime classic Ghost In The Shell (1995). The story is set on an American air force base called Yokota Air base, located in post WW2 Japan, several months before the beginning of the Vietnam war. It revolves around a teenage girl named Saya who works for the US government, and hunts vampiric demons (who are referred to as Chiroptera) using a Katana to destroy them. As the title implies Saya is the last remaining vampire (possibly referring to what can be known as a 'shinso vampire' in Japanese fiction).

The film is notoriously short, coming in under fifty minutes, hence my simple plot outline, but it is impactful because of it's stunning visual element's, using a blend of 2D and 3D animation which in turn creates a beautiful contrasting tone of rich and vibrant colours. Like the other anime classic Perfect Blue (one of my favourites) the characters look much more realistic than in an average anime, and it also extends to the motion of each character (which i must admit is very life like) due to the entirely computer composed animation. Careful attention to detail is also paid to the light and shadow, which helps to add to the general moody and chilling atmosphere of the film. It also should be taken into account that the film was originally composed with a mixture of English and Japanese dialog, in actual fact two-thirds of the film is in English.

As good as Blood: The Last Vampire is, it is not without it's flaws. After watching it i was surprised how brief the film was, it needed a repeat viewing for me to fully appreciate it. It feels somewhat unfinished (which to some extent could be true, i am led to believe the reason that it was so short is because the animation cost an extortionate amount of money). You will understand what i mean after you see the opening sequence, as i do not want to give anything more away. This brings me to my point of style over substance. The character development is pretty much non-existent, even with Saya. As dark and imposing a character as she may be little or nothing is done to expand on her role as the main protagonist, which is a tad disappointing i must say. I would (as with many others no doubt) blame the brief running time of the film. Some would argue (myself included) that 48 minutes is hardly ample time for a feature length, action packed horror film such as this, i do understand the reasons the film's makers gave for this but i am of the opinion that as outstanding as the animation is, they probably should have spent less time and money on animation, and more on the story and the character development. I mean, what is more important, a film which is hailed for visual stimulation or a well executed plot with meaningful character development? I think my main problem with the film is that it lacks any sort of real climax, and it seems a little empty in places where it should have been extremely suspenseful.

Having said all this, i do still like it. Don't get me wrong, it was good, just not great. There is no question that in terms of the moody, dark atmosphere, and the adrenaline-fueled action sequences combined with the stunning visual beauty of the animation Blood: The Last Vampire succeeds very well, almost to the extent of an anime masterpiece, but it's still not quite the full cigar. The lack of any substance in the plot and the emptiness in the characters personalities makes it for a rather light watch rather than the more chilling, Gothic post WW2 masterpiece that could have been. For anyone who loves action-packed sequences, more blood than can fill a bath and eye-candy in the form of sublime animation, then this is definitely the horror anime for you, but if you were looking for a Gothic masterpiece, with a solidly set plot and with well crafted and fantastically structured character development, then you will be regrettably unsatisfied.

7/10

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI