RE: Boxing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

chrismart83 -> RE: Boxing (30/6/2008 2:48:48 PM)

Did anyone see Pacquiao vs Diaz on saturday. It was a great performance, Pacquaio dominated the fight, and his speed and power were explosive.
Thre eis talk of him stepping up in weight again next year to fight Hatton.

BobaJango -> RE: Boxing (30/6/2008 6:27:50 PM)

Pacquiao is one of the most popular fighters around at the moment so a Hatton bout would be brilliant, if only to see how Manny does at a higher weight.

Jasiri -> RE: Boxing (1/7/2008 12:10:14 PM)

Another good performance from Pacquiao,not trying to take anything away from him because he's a solid fighter but despite a win against Eric Morales (who was jaded and out of his weight class) Diaz is no world beater but I was still impressed by the ease with which Pac Man took him apart.He's never going to be a silky boxer but for him it was a decent display of boxing backed up by his still fearsome but slightly declining  natural power and aggression.Utmost respect to David Diaz too for a tremendous display of bravery.He really wilted in round 6 and took a terrible beating from then until the end and when you see a fighter going over face first like that 99 times out of 100 they're done.
I'm maybe growing soft but I think there was a case for stopping the fight in round 7 or 8,as long as it's a contest let them go but Diaz was in a hole he couldn't possibly dig his way out of and was taking a lot of damaging shots.I've seen too many tragedies in the ring over the years so would always favour a stoppage being too early  rather than too  late.

As for him fighting Hatton I'd certainly watch it even though I think Hatton's showing increasing signs of becoming shot.I think I said it earlier in this thread about him moving up to 135lbs for this fight but how far can Pacquiao keep moving up and remain effective? It's mind blowing where he is now,I don't think he had many fights at the weight but he started out as a light flyweight so he's already jumped almost 30lbs and 7 weight divisions in a 12 or 13 year career.I'm sure a lot of 135 pounders,Amir Khan included are hoping he doesn't decide to hang around too long though.

Looks like his next fight could be the much anticipated fight against the WBA super feather belt holder Edwin Valero.I don't think Valero will be much known outside of hardcore boxing fans but he's a wild little fighter from Venezuela who fights out of Japan with record of 24-0 with 24 KO's,I'm sure there will be some of his fights on youtube.So far he's not been allowed to fight in the US because before he turned pro he sustained a fractured skull and had a blood clot removed from his brain following a motorcycle accident and a few years back failed an MRI scan before a proposed fight in the US.

Jasiri -> RE: Boxing (23/7/2008 10:17:40 PM)

After a quiet few weeks including a who cares defence of his heavyweight belt from Wladimir Klitshko,a potential fight of the year at welterweight this Saturday as Miguel Cotto faces Antonio Margarito.Big fights can sometimes be a letdown with both fighters going cagey but can't see anything other than fireworks from this.It takes a lot for me to get excited about fights now but I'm as up for this matchup as I was for the third Vazquez-Marquez fight earlier in the year.

Been catching up on some fights from the last few weeks and the standout performance was from Juan Manuel Lopez,I'd heard good things about him but don't remember seeing any of his fights prior to this.Anyway he destroyed Daniel Ponce de Leon inside 1 round to lift his super bantam belt.Daniel Ponce de Leon may be very limited technically but he's as strong as an ox,was shocking to see Lopez dismantle him so quickly,based on this outing Lopez looks a real star in the making.

found a video of it on youtube.

Beno -> RE: Boxing (6/8/2008 10:24:09 AM)

Why dont we have a few suggestions re. peoples fav. fights or fighters past or present . I have a few fights in my head for fav. fight so will have to sort em but my fav. fighter of all time is Evander Holyfield . This choice sometimes winds up my mates cos of the Lennox Lewis fights . I thought Lewis narrowly won the first , which was given as a draw , but i thought Holyfield just won the second fight they had , though it was given to Lewis .
Holyfield beating Tyson - first time - is a fav. but i need to sort other favs. in my head .
Choices and comments anyone ??

BobaJango -> RE: Boxing (6/8/2008 11:49:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beno

Why dont we have a few suggestions re. peoples fav. fights or fighters past or present . I have a few fights in my head for fav. fight so will have to sort em but my fav. fighter of all time is Evander Holyfield . This choice sometimes winds up my mates cos of the Lennox Lewis fights . I thought Lewis narrowly won the first , which was given as a draw , but i thought Holyfield just won the second fight they had , though it was given to Lewis .
Holyfield beating Tyson - first time - is a fav. but i need to sort other favs. in my head .
Choices and comments anyone ??

You ever read Becoming Holyfield? If not then i'd recommend it.

If we're talking heavyweights then i'm not sure who my favourite would be...Lennox Lewis was an awesome fighter but he kinda annoyed me. I'm especially thinking of the Frank Bruno fight and all the publicity trying to make out as if Lewis is British. I'm sorry but the guy left the UK as a kid, represented Canada in the Olympics, talks like a Canadian and only fought under the Union Flag because it meant more cash and coverage.

Sorry, went a little [sm=schild15.gif] there.

Beno -> RE: Boxing (6/8/2008 12:33:26 PM)

Jeeez Boba , those are my views exactly on Lewis . I never once considered him British and never will . The arguements i have had with mates over the years re. this subject . So glad to hear someone else agree , i think we are in the minority .

chrismart83 -> RE: Boxing (6/8/2008 4:15:30 PM)

I think my favourite fight is Castillo - Corrales 1. Great fight, one i never tire of watching. There is alot of fighters past and present i like, but if i had to pick at the minute id say. Present = Pacquiao , great skill and speed and always puts on a entertaining show. Past = Benn, a love watching big punches, and this guy could punch. Always came out to fight and fought in some great fights.

Beno -> RE: Boxing (6/8/2008 6:27:10 PM)

Have to say i loved the whole spectacle and of course fight that was Leonard v Hagler but im still sorting tons of fights in my head to find a fav.

Jasiri -> RE: Boxing (19/8/2008 10:11:29 AM)

Out of current fighters Pac-Man's my favourite always great to watch,but I always look forward to seeing guys like Miguel Cotto,Antonio Margarito (nobody else see their fight ?) Cristian Mijares,Juan Manuel and Rafael Marquez,Israel Vazquez,Chris John,Jorge Linares and Kelly Pavlik.Of the up and coming fighters I like Abner Mares and the Peterson brothers (although I've been slightly less impressed with both of them recently,they need to show some real spark) and as I mentioned above I look forward to seeing more of,Juan Manuel Lopez and another recent title winner with potential for a big future Andre Berto.
For past boxers there's too many to mention so I'll try and pick out the main ones and restrict it to fighters from my lifetime that I remember seeing when they were active.Marco Antonio Barrera,Erik Morales,Roy Jones Jr.,Julio Cesar Chavez,Pernell Whittaker,Mike Tyson,Azumah Nelson,Marvin Hagler,Roberto Duran,Ray Leonard,Tommy Hearns,Larry HolmesAaron Pryor,Alexis Arguello,Salvador Sanchez.

Then two fighters who stick out most in my mind for very different reasons,the first I don't actually remember seeing any of his fights at the time because I was so young as he was coming to the end of his career but I was certainly aware of who he was and he was my first childhood hero,so I couldn't not include him,Muhammad Ali.
The second is a tragic figure but one whose death had such an effect on me that I can never forget him,it's Welsh Bantamweight Johnny Owen.The name probably doesn't mean much to many people so I'll explain a little about him.He was a great little fighter who's fragile look belied his fighting heart,and he was British,Commonwealth & European champion.In 1980 he challenged Lupe Pintor for his world title,he held his own most of the way against a tough champion but he was dropped twice and stopped late in the fight.He never regained consciousness after the second knockdown and died a few weeks later.I'd got into watching boxing from a young age through my dad and he'd always made me aware that this wasn't a game and to have the utmost respect for anyone at any level who laced on the gloves but this was the first time I really had to face up to the reality of the dangers of boxing and go through that questioning of the sport that I'm sure all fight fans go through from time to time.

[image]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/830/johnnyowen150209ry5.jpg[/image]
"The Matchstick Man"
Johnny Owen

Favourite fights is really hard,again there are so many.

Israel Vazquez - Rafael Marquez (all 3 fights)
Marco Antonio Barrera - Erik Morales (again all 3 fights)
Arturo Gatti - Mickey Ward (and again all 3 fights)
Manny Pacquiao - Juan Manuel Marquez I
Diego Coralles - Jose Luis Castillo I
Roberto Duran - Iran Barkley
Roberto Duran - Ray Leonard I
Ray Leonard - Wilfredo Benitez
Ray Leonard - Marvin Haglar (still adamant that this was a draw)
Marvin Hagler - Tommy Hearns
Ray Leonard - Tommy Hearns I
Tommy Hearns - Roberto Duran
Michael Carbajal - Humberto Gonzalez I
Muhammad Ali - Joe Frazier I
Alexis Arguello - Alfredo Escalera I
Alexis Arguello - Aaron Pryor (both fights)
Carlos Monzon - Nino Benvenuti
George Foreman - Ron Lyle
Bobby Chacon - Rafael Limon I ( I think they fought 4 times,would love to see the others)

and for pure weirdness Simon Brown - Vincent Petteway,Brown ko'd lying on his back throwing punches up into the air.

Beno -> RE: Boxing (19/8/2008 7:47:49 PM)

When Holyfield beat Tyson the first time i recall having my face pressed right up to the TV screen the whole fight yelling at Holyfield ..... adreniline was pumping that night .

Jasiri -> RE: Boxing (21/8/2008 2:49:25 PM)

Now you mention it,Holyfield was in quite a few good fights,the second fight with Tyson was certainly memorable.He had a couple of decent fights with Dwight Muhammad Qawi at Cruiserweight at Heavy his three fights with Riddick Bowe were very good too.Think the second one was the Fan Man fight where that idiot tried to parachute into the ring and got the shit beat out of him by Bowe's posse.[:D]

BobaJango -> RE: Boxing (28/8/2008 5:16:55 PM)

Yeah and if you watch that fight when "fan man" falls in, even when Holyfield backs off and looks at it, it still takes a good few seconds for Bowe to break his concentration.
That guy was an idiot btw. He could have landed on a big stadium light and killed a bunch of people.

Beno -> RE: Boxing (28/8/2008 5:24:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

Yeah and if you watch that fight when "fan man" falls in, even when Holyfield backs off and looks at it, it still takes a good few seconds for Bowe to break his concentration.
That guy was an idiot btw. He could have landed on a big stadium light and killed a bunch of people.

I stayed up and watched that fight , like i used to watch em all , that delay cos of that idiot meant i didnt get to sleep till like 6.15am or summat stupid .

Jasiri -> RE: Boxing (2/9/2008 8:19:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobaJango

It seemed at first like Bowe thought Holyfield was trying to sucker him into looking away. [:D]

Anybody see the news,Oscar De La Hoya - Manny Pacquiao lined up for 6th Dec? Didn't see any word of what weight it would be at,some arbitrary catchweight I guess,but it's a freakshow.Oscar last fight was at light middle he weighed in at 150lbs,Pac-Man's only just moved up to 135lbs.Don't see any way Manny can win this based purely on size.

Beno -> RE: Boxing (2/9/2008 9:00:31 AM)

I hope Pacquiao knows what hes doing , Golden Boy is naturally bigger and could do some lasting damage .
There have been surprises weight wise over the years . One that sticks out for me is James Toney . He was never expected to beat Michael Nunn for the Middleweight crown but did , then later won the Super - Middle title , then a version of Cruiserweight and later took a Heavyweight belt from John Ruiz . All done by a fighter who was considered by some to be almost a journeyman way back before his Middleweight crown .

LEEJGM -> RE: Boxing (2/9/2008 9:57:20 AM)

I can't see any sense in Pac-man taking on DLH.  Oscar is a much bigger man and would probably weigh a good stone or more than Manny once they get in the ring, regardless of what weight the fight would be at.  Manny could get pounded here and for no real reward other than money.  I think Manny has bigger and better fights out there in Hatton, Cotto and maybe Mayweather if he ever comes back.  I'm all for fighters moving up in weight but I don't think Pacquiao has the stature to stand a chance against Oscar.

boaby -> RE: Boxing (5/9/2008 5:33:27 PM)

'mon Alex Arthur!

screw this box office nonsense.

Guess which boxing legend was in Aberdeen yesterday?

Smokin' Joe Frazier![sm=w00t.gif][sm=worship.gif]

Guess who now has 2 autographed Frazier photos, one of which has Ali sparko'd on the canvas?

Yes you guessed it, boaby does.[:D]

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:29:11 PM)

Ooooops

[sm=34.gif]

BobaJango -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:30:19 PM)

Amir Khan is out of there!

Anyone watching this?

elfzooey -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:31:56 PM)

Yeh just heard he got knocked out cold within the 30seconds then the ref allowed him to continue! suicidal if you ask me.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:38:16 PM)

He walked straight onto a puncher.  Daft sod. 
Looks like the trainer'll be looking for a new job on Monday [:D]

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:45:49 PM)

55seconds

thats a joke.

elfzooey -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:51:16 PM)

The joke is on Frank Warren or his coach.

Dick Jones -> RE: Boxing (6/9/2008 11:59:07 PM)

Hmm. Glad I didn't pay to watch it now.

55 seconds doesn't seem like value for money somehow.

boaby -> RE: Boxing (7/9/2008 12:00:07 AM)

sigh, the beeb reckon Arthur got torn a new one.

Khan [sm=18.gif]. Oof.

Chuffed I never splashed oot for the pay per view.

elfzooey -> RE: Boxing (7/9/2008 12:04:54 AM)

Me neither! Listened to it on radio 5 live lol. Frank Warren giving it the big'un promoting as if this was on the same scale as Hatton and Mayweather lol 15 to watch it? rip off

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: Boxing (7/9/2008 12:07:35 AM)

i feel more sorry for the people who paid to see the fight live. what a wasted journey.

BigBadWolf -> RE: Boxing (7/9/2008 12:14:19 AM)

I watched a live stream over the web. Glad I never paid for it, although I would never had paid for a Kahn fight at this stage of his career.

He got absolutely twatted. The danger signs have been there before, he's been put down by far lighter punchers than this guy, and has come back from the brink. But through many of his fights he's been too easy hit.

Sadly in boxing, you can improve punch power, but you can't put muscle on a chin.

I would like to be positive, but the weight divisions in around which Khan competes have some real class fighters in them. You can come back from a defeat, but rebuilding Khan from this could be a rebuilding job too far.

HIM -> RE: Boxing (7/9/2008 9:39:26 AM)

This is Audley Harrison all over again. So much promise early on and so much hype. Then the fans and press seem to turn against them for fighting no-hopers and journeymen. When they eventually come up against someone who can actually fight they get mullered. Can Khan come back from this? Will the British public even care, such was the manner of this defeat and the general apathy towards Khan?

Here's the fight in case anyone missed it (on't blink or you will agian!):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sWE8I9pzOz0

Here's the Sky Box Office coverage. Not sure how long this will last:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k1hLX9j1gEg&feature=related

Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI