Forthcoming Jackie Chan, Sammo, Yuen Biao films (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> World Cinema

Gram123 -> Forthcoming Jackie Chan, Sammo, Yuen Biao films (2/5/2007 8:54:00 AM)

The film previously known by the working title "J & J Project" has been given a proper title - The Forbidden Kingdom and it is due to start filming this month.

The film is apparently based on the book "Journey to the West" by Wu Cheng'en - the same source material as the late 1970s TV series "Monkey" a.k.a. Monkey Magic.

It will be directed by Rob Minkoff (The Lion King, Stuart Little) with action coreography by Yuen Woo-ping, and written by John Fusco (Hidalgo).

Chan will play the "Sha Monk" and Li will play the Monkey King (can't wait to see who plays Pigsy and Sandy the fish-man fella!). It looks like the lead character will be Michael Angarano (Lords Of Dogtown, 24). Other confirmed stars include Liu Yifei as "Golden Sparrow" and the very cute Li Bingbing as "White Haired Demoness", the role that Zhang Ziyi was previosuly touted for.

The story will be about a New York teenager who discovers the Monkey King's staff and somehow travels back to ancient China to help free said legendary character.

Whilst the pairing of Chan and Li might seem like a marvellous idea, there are a few worrying aspects.
  • The director's previous work suggests this is likely to be a PG.
  • With a New Yorker as the main star, and the film being made by Casey Silver Productions in the US, it will be an English language film. I'm hoping the scenes in China are subbed, but it's doubtful.
  • It could well end up being like Big Trouble In Little China...

==Gram123==

• Gram123 -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (2/5/2007 8:58:45 AM)

And just cos it was mental, here's the lyrics to the dubbed Monkey series!

Born from an egg on a mountain top
    The punkiest monkey that ever popped
    He knew every magic trick under the sun
    To tease the Gods
    And everyone and have some fun

Monkey magic, Monkey magic

What a cocky saucy monkey this one is
    All the Gods were angered
    And they punished him
    Until he was saved by a kindly priest
    And that was the start
    Of their pilgrimage west

With a little bit of monkey magic
    There'll be fireworks tonight
    With a little bit of monkey magic
    Every thing will be all right

Born from an egg on a mountain top
    The punkiest monkey that ever popped
    He knew every magic trick under the sun
    To tease the Gods
    And everyone and have some fun

[:D][:D][:D]

foz -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (2/5/2007 6:48:19 PM)

Sandy is a Kappa, a strange little bugger of a Japanese river imp.  Sometimes depicted with a tortoiseshell on its back, its main characteristic is the bald spot on the top of its head, which is indented & full of water which gives it its magical powers.  To trick a Kappa, all you need to do is bow to it - they are polite and will bow back, spilling all the strength-giving malarkey from its head and rendering it harmless.  I have no idea why I know this.
    Also, the bloke who played Sandy was in a big Japanese rock band in the late 1960s/early 70s called the Tigers, among whom was a young & cheeky Kenji (then using the stage name Julie) Sawada, who played the dad in Happiness of the Katakuris. 

the anomaly -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (2/5/2007 11:05:19 PM)

quote:

Whilst the pairing of Chan and Li might seem like a marvellous idea, there are a few worrying aspects.

• The director's previous work suggests this is likely to be a PG.
  • With a New Yorker as the main star, and the film being made by Casey Silver Productions in the US, it will be an English language film. I'm hoping the scenes in China are subbed, but it's doubtful.
  • It could well end up being like Big Trouble In Little China...

• These points dont sound promising at all. It does not seem like the film I was hoping for. I got excited at the mention of Journey to the West because its great source material but set in New York?....ughhh. Not the send off for them I was hoping for. Rush hour 3 looks pointless too.

Timon -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (14/6/2007 9:13:38 AM)

Collin Chou is joining Jackie Chan and Jet Li in The Forbidden Kingdom. Lionsgate is the lead distributor on the co-release with the Weinstein Company.

Principal photography has started, with Rob Minkoff directing from a John Fusco original screenplay based on the Chinese legend of the Monkey King.

Chou will play the Jade War Lord. His credits include The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.

nortersboyo -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (2/7/2007 10:28:23 PM)

I'd watch it anyway! It may be really shite but as long as there are some cool fights then I wouldn't care. :)

Gram123 -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (3/7/2007 9:39:53 AM)

Confirmed cast so far:

Jackie Chan & Jet Li
    [image]http://www.twitchfilm.net/pics/JJ-project.jpg[/image]

Michael Angarano & Collin Chou
    [image]http://entimg.msn.com/i/150/Movies/Actors2/Angarano_HG41603_150x200.jpg[/image][image]http://images.usatoday.com/news/_photos/2003/11/28-in-spotlight-collin.jpg[/image]

Liu Yifei & Li Bingbing
    [image]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/7c/220px-Liuyifei.jpg[/image][image]http://www.c-c-club.net/actor/bingbing.jpg[/image]

elfzooey -> RE: Jackie Chan + Jet Li Project (17/7/2007 12:28:37 AM)

This is gonna suck balls if its got any sort of american actors/actresse

Should of just kept it chinese

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (20/8/2007 4:10:06 PM)

After Rush Hour 3, we have The Forbidden Kingdom.

Then Jackie Chan will star in Shinjuku Incident - a dramatic film directed by Derek Yee, in which Chan plays a Chinese immigrant in living in Japan. Filming is due to start in November 2007 and it has apparently been planned for almost 10 years.

After that, Chan will voice a character in the DreamWorks animated film Kung Fu Panda, alongside the likes of Dustin Hoffman, Angelina Jolie, Ian McShane, Lucy Liu and Michael Clarke Duncan. Jack Black plays the part of the giant panda, Po and Chan plays "Master Monkey", one of a group of kung fu masters intent on training him. The film is due for release in June 2008.

Thereafter, Chan will direct his first film since Who Am I in 1998. Due to start filming in April 2008, it will be the thrid in the Armour of God series and has the working title Armour of God III: Chinese Zodiac. If I remember rightly, Chan said on the US DVD commentary to Gorgeous, that he wanted to do AOG3. Gorgeous was released in 2000 so I guess that's another film that's been in planning for many years before it comes to fruition.

Timon -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (20/8/2007 4:18:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Thereafter, Chan will direct his first film since Who Am I in 1998. It will be the thrid in the Armour of God series and has the working title Armour of God III: Chinese Zodiac. If I remember rightly, Chan said on the US DVD commentary to Gorgeous, that he wanted to do AOG3. Gorgeous was released in 2000 so I guess that's another film that's been in planning for many years before it comes to fruition.

Awesome.

You still can't get a decent version of Operation Condor on DVD can you?

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (20/8/2007 4:35:37 PM)

Operation Condor is one of a couple of JC films that are still on my want list that I've never got round to sorting, because as you mention, it ain't easy to get a decent version, and also because it's not the best of his films.

DeltaMac and then Mega Star released HK versions, with Cantonese soundtracks and English subs. That version was 15 mins longer than the horrible dubbed US release. However, it's one of those that Buena Vista bought the rights for in the US, so stores like HKFlix that are based in the US can't sell those HK versions any more.

There's a Chinese version at YesAsia for a fiver, but it has no English subs.

There is also a Malaysian version with Cantonese audio and English subs, but I don't know whether it's the longer cut of the film or not.

Never mind, we can just wait til late 2008 when there's bound to be a boxset of all 3 Armour of God films.... [:@]

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (2/11/2007 7:53:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkey Peaches

Principal shooting of the first Jackie Chan-Jet Li collaboration has wrapped up in China, according to Sina.com. The Hollywood production blends the talents of two top on-screen martial-art stars, stories inspired by classic fantasy novel Journey to the West, Chinese folklore about "The Eight Immortals" as well as Dr. Louis Cha's wuxia novel White Hair Demoness, which has been on screen numerous times. Michael Angarano plays an American kid who  is brought back to the ancient China after getting in touched with a magic cudgel.

He them teams up with Lu Yan (Jackie Chan), The Silent Monk (Jet Li) and Golden Sparrow (Liu Yifei) to free the imprisoned Monkey King (Jet Li) and return the cudgel to him. Of cause their trip is not safe. The White Hair Deomness (Li Bingbing) and her master Jade War Lord (Collin Chou) are not hesitating to stop them.

The script is written by John Fusco and the director is Rob Minkoff. Yuen Wo-Ping is on board as the choreographer and the executive producer and the man behind the camera is Peter Pau. Three South Korean films, Macrograph, Inc., Digital Tetra Inc. (DTI) and Footage are shaire the task of CG effects. The North American release is aimed at April 18, 2008 and the dates for other countries are not determined.

[image]http://www.sinaimg.cn/ent/m/c/p/2007-09-06/U1735P28T3D1704320F326DT20070906090831.jpg[/image]
    [image]http://www.sinaimg.cn/ent/m/c/p/2007-09-06/U1735P28T3D1704320F328DT20070906090831.jpg[/image]

Pherlygwen -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (3/11/2007 4:55:32 PM)

I'd say Jackie looks dafter than normal in that photo. And he wears a similar wig as my daughter had when she went trick or treating. [:D]

Timon -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (15/11/2007 5:05:25 PM)

First footage is up.......looks underwhelming - kind of like Bulletproof Monk but with better scenery.

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (16/11/2007 1:56:11 PM)

Chan is lending a hand with the forthcoming Anthony Szeto film "Wushu", which will star Sammo Hung.
    Chan's assistance is noted as "advisory and marketing".

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (21/12/2007 9:29:16 AM)

Teaser poster:
    [image]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f337/ClemBones/Forbidden_Kingdom_TeaserPoster.jpg[/image]

directorscut -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (21/12/2007 1:42:16 PM)

New Drunken Master DVD in the works? The BBFC have rated the movie from Sony (subtitled).

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (22/12/2007 7:22:41 PM)

Well, it was released on dvd by Sony in the US in 2002, so might it just be a re-release of that?
    It was released on Hong Kong Legends in the UK, who are now owned by Contender Entertainment Group. I'd have thought it would be unlikely that they'd give up the rights for it.

rich -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (27/12/2007 6:55:32 PM)

I've havent got much hope after New Police Story

Pherlygwen -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/2/2008 4:08:54 PM)

A positive review of The Forbidden Kingdom from AICN:

Click

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/2/2008 9:12:21 PM)

Forthcoming Sammo films...

Fatal Move: Completed, due for release in HK cinemas 26th Feb. Hung and Simon Yam as Triad gang bosses. Trailer.
    [image]http://www.sammohungkambo.com/Acurrent/Fatal%20Move%20Poster3.JPG[/image]

Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon: In post-production. Hung plays a military General Zhang Fei. Andy Lau & Maggie Q star, in film based on the novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Trailer.
    [image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/Three_Kingdoms-_Resurrection_of_the_Dragon.jpg[/image] [image]http://www.sammohungkambo.com/Acurrent/three-kingdom-resurrection-of-dragon-trailer-bigsmall.jpg[/image] [image]http://www.sammohungkambo.com/Acurrent/resurrection_b1899efe48ba3834a130e258dfc87696small.jpg[/image]

Howling Arrow: In post-production. Sammo directs and stars.
    [image]http://sammo-hung.hp.infoseek.co.jp/Howling%20Arrow%20Poster2.JPG[/image]

Wushu
    : Filming. Antony Szeto directs, Sammo and Wu Jing star, Jackie Chan executive produces. Trailer.
    [image]http://www.quietearth.us/img/w/wushu-poster.jpg[/image]

oui3d -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/2/2008 10:01:47 PM)

More Sammo.... Can i just say... Hell Yeah!

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (2/2/2008 1:54:28 PM)

Yeah, and they look good too.
    I've added poster images and links for trailers where possible.

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (20/2/2008 9:22:48 PM)

[image]http://www.wu-jing.org/Vista/albums/Fatal-Move/Fatal_Move_03c.sized.jpg[/image]

Fatal Move is apparently "
    an action-packed film that is full of extreme violence and gore". As such, it's been given a Category III rating in Hong Kong, and will not be released in cinemas in Mainland China...

quote:

Dennis Law instead sets his sights on the Western market, with an assembly of cast familiar to them - Sammo Hung, Ken Lo, Simon Yam, Danny Lee, where Chinese martial arts film DVDs are selling very well. He believes that the martial arts scenes are the strongest asset of Fatal Move, in particular, the major weapon fight scene between Sammo Hung and Wu Jing.

oui3d -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/3/2008 1:07:09 AM)

Recently Re-released, remastered and available at Yesasia
    Sammo Hung in a dramatic role

8 Taels of Gold

[image]http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj206/mrrocking/8Taels.jpg[/image]

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (7/3/2008 12:25:51 PM)

After being in nothing in 2006, and only Twins Mission in 2007, you might have expected Sammo's film career to be over, and he be reduced to a TVB actor.

However, his resurgence continues with his 5th film of 2008, announced at the end of Feb with the working title "Duel", it will be directed by Daniel Lee.

Timon -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (31/3/2008 11:12:25 AM)

Is Armour of God III still en route? I've still got to get Operation Condor.

I was looking at my HK Legends collection the other day and I think it needs bolstering......

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/4/2008 12:01:26 AM)

Well, he announced it when promoting Rush Hour 3 last year, and speculation has said that filming would begin around April 2008.
    However, I haven't seen any new news about it since late last year.

So the answer is... hopefully.

Whilst searching, I did find the following interesting nugget:

quote:

Chan and Li plan 2nd film together

Many fans are anticipating the April release of THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM, the first ever collaboration between international action superstars Jackie Chan and Jet Li. The film has not been out yet, but at the Hong Kong International Film Mart on March 18, both Jackie Chan and Jet Li confirmed that they are in fact, planning a second film together.

According to both Chan and Li, the duo met 15 years ago at the Golden Harvest studios. In that prolific meeting, they came up with the idea of a film that star the two action icons. The plot of this movie has changed, but the storyline remains intact. As with THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM, both Chan and Li will face off against each other again, but hopes with the new film to kick it up a notch. Li also wants Jaycee Chan, Jackie Chan's son, to co-star in this planned film. Chan recently wrapped principle photography on THE SHINJUKU INCIDENT, a dramatic film from director Derek Yee Tung-Shing (PROTEGE), while Li has opted to take 2008 off to concentrate on his charity work. Li will hit screens again this summer as the villain in THE MUMMY: TOMB OF THE DRAGON EMPEROR. THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM will be released in U.S. theaters on April 18, 2008.

Timon -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/4/2008 9:21:52 AM)

God, I hope so. I need some 'old school' Jackie. Was New Police Story any good - I heard mixed reviews, but it looked great.

Gram123 -> RE: Forthcoming Jackie Chan films (1/4/2008 9:31:38 AM)

It's got a daft central premise, but as a JC film it's fine. Nothing to do with the other Police Story films though.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI