EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> DVD Club

Captain Black -> EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (19/4/2007 1:13:01 PM)

As this section appears to have been dropped from the magazine we (the Mods) thought it'd be quite a nice idea if we could carry it on. So, if you'd like to nominate a new director (or two) then we'll create a new thread for them periodically.

Rhubarb -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (19/4/2007 1:37:04 PM)

Thats a great idea! Its a shame its been dropped from the magazine, but its a good place to discuss and things.

Directors i would like to see nominated :

Tim Burton
Jean-Luc Godard
Buster Keaton
Charlie Chaplin
Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Steven Spielberg
Walter Selles
Terry Gilliam
Danny Boyle
Ed Wood (!)

Probably more when i think of them

directorscut -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (19/4/2007 2:01:51 PM)

This list may be a bit biased.

D.W. Griffith (I imagine a this would be a great debate)
F.W. Murnau
Charles Chaplin
Buster Keaton
John Ford
Fritz Lang
Ernst Lubitsch
Frank Capra
William Wyler
Howard Hawks
Jacques Tourneur
Michael Powell (& Pressburger)
David Lean
Joseph L. Mankiewicz
George Stevens
Robert Wise
Federico Fellini
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi (perfect for the month when the MoC boxset comes out)
King Hu
Chang Cheh
Jackie Chan
Hayao Miyazaki
Zhang Yimou
Wong Kar-Wai

monkeyfish -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (19/4/2007 2:17:31 PM)

While I, personally, would love to see Tim Burton as a big fan of his work and with there being obvious recurring themes and ideas running through them, however I reckon that Howard Hawks would be the best choice. There'd be pretty much no debate about his deserving the DVD club treatment as one of the great classic directors having made quality films in almost every genre but he is populist enough for most people to have seen some of his films and have an opinion on them. I'd suggest the five films to go out and watch should be His Girl Friday, The Big Sleep, Red River, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Rio Bravo.

andynortonuk -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (19/4/2007 5:22:43 PM)

I will try and nominate some directors that have not been mentioned yet... but there have been some excellent choices (although Ed Wood is quite debatable, if you ask me.)

Satoshi Kon
Katsuhiro Ôtomo
Peter Jackson
James Whale
John Woo
Ang Lee
Yimou Zhang
Stephen Chow

Rhubarb -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (20/4/2007 8:42:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Hayao Miyazaki

Absolutely.

amateur ghostbuster -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 7:32:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Hayao Miyazaki

Absolutely.

Yeah Miyazaki seems like a good choice.

TheManWithNoShame -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 7:54:52 PM)

FW. Murnau
Carl Dreyer
Charlie Chaplin
Frank Capra
John Ford
Federico Fellini
Luchino Visconti
Howard Hawks
Jean-Luc Godard
Jean Cocteau
Francois Truffaut
Robert Bresson
David Lean
Vittorio De Sica
Jean-Pierre Melville
John Cassavetes
Zhang Yimou
Hayao Miyazaki
Wong Kar Wai
Pedro Almadovar

But most of all

Orson Welles
Michael Powell
Krzysztof Kieslowski
Fritz Lang
Yasujiro Ozu
Kenji Mizoguchi
Jean Vigo
Jean Renoir

And please for the love of god, no Tim Burton.
And for amateur ghostbuster, how about Carol Reed?

edit* Good idea btw, we need more intelligent debate on this forum which this should provide. And good call on D.W. Griffiths directorscut, that would be a very interesting debate.

andynortonuk -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 8:26:12 PM)

quote:

Actually, I would think Burton would be an interesting canidate; he is probably one of those modern directors who has a recognisable stlye, which is a trait most contemporary filmmakers don't often have. Also, it would be interestig to learn just that little bit more before Sweeney Todd (his latest film) comes out.

Also, as people seem to like some directors of more significant history behind them, how about Sergei Eisentien (Battleship Potemkin)? He would make a good director to talk about.

amateur ghostbuster -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 8:29:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame
And for amateur ghostbuster, how about Carol Reed?

Ah, you know me so well. Yes that would be a grand idea.

TheManWithNoShame -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 9:03:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andynortonuk

quote:

Actually, I would think Burton would be an interesting canidate; he is probably one of those modern directors who has a recognisable stlye, which is a trait most contemporary filmmakers don't often have. Also, it would be interestig to learn just that little bit more before Sweeney Todd (his latest film) comes out.

Also, as people seem to like some directors of more significant history behind them, how about Sergei Eisentien (Battleship Potemkin)? He would make a good director to talk about.

Oh yes, I forgot Eisenstein, who would be a great choice. I suppose youre right about Burton having a recognisable style, but I really dont rate him much at all as a director, with the exception of Ed Wood where Burtons usual style was absent. Anyway, its the publics decision so Ill go with whatever they choose.

But it better be good [:D]

quote:

Ah, you know me so well. Yes that would be a grand idea.

Unfortunately everyone would run out of things to talk about after The Third Man[;)]

Actually I really think the first decision should go to Welles who was surprisingly not in Empires original feature. Probably one of, if not the, most important American director of all time, and one whose work always betrays his recognisable stamp of genius.

Rhubarb -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 9:20:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

John Cassavetes

Cassavetes is a great shout.

And the fact that you are so against Burton is one of the very reasons he should be included. Interesting debate and all.

Captain Black -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (22/4/2007 9:36:42 PM)

OK, I'll start threads for Hayao Miyazaki and Howard Hawks as they both had a few nominations and seconds in the above posts. I'm sure we'll get around to everyone else nominated eventually.

Tell all your friends. 

justified by grace -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (8/5/2007 7:10:37 PM)

Some of these directors have had articles about them in the magazine but haven't featured in DVD Club.

Peter Jackson
Michael Bay
James Cameron
Steven Spielberg
John Woo
Peter Weir
Tony Scott

Captain Black -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (10/5/2007 1:29:41 PM)

Right, sorry for not giving this my full attention in recent weeks.

Seems a bit of a shame that the threads haven't received too many hits. I think the Hawks one suffered due to the crossover with the one in Golden Oldies (which I must confess to not being aware of when I started it).

I don't want to just start a bunch of threads off the bat (I may do, if we think that'll be more succesful in reviving this section), so any favourites among the mentioned directors? Shall I make this a poll and we'll do the top 2 every few weeks?

adamdavidsmith -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (14/5/2007 10:57:03 PM)

Maybe not quite yet but ones for the future would be:

Frank Darabont
M. Night Shyamalan
David Fincher
Peter Jackson
Sam Mendes

Unaware there was no Sir David Lean in this forum[&:] what the hell? Plus Frank Capra

KissMyConverse -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (16/5/2007 8:52:25 AM)

I wouldn't say Shyamalan. I only like The Sixth Sense. I would want to see Tim Burton. I love his films.

wrenster -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (16/5/2007 11:01:44 PM)

I thought I would pop in and leave my two penny worth for maybe future reference:

John Sayles
Joe Dante
Larry Cohen
Barry Levinson
Alan Rudolph
Blake Edwards
Alan Parker

PROCTOR -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (2/6/2007 12:31:40 PM)

Park Chan Wook
Takashi Miike
Edgar Wright
Sam Raimi
Tony Scott
Gore Verbinski

Horror Nut -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (6/6/2007 7:25:39 PM)

Has David Lynch featured in the DVD club??? He would be a great choice if he hasn't. Peter Jackson as well would be great, although I am not a fan of his most recent work. It's the film's like Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead that I am a fan of. They rock!!!!![sm=evilgrin27.gif]

evil bill -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (6/6/2007 7:53:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Horror Nut

Has David Lynch featured in the DVD club??? He would be a great choice if he hasn't. Peter Jackson as well would be great, although I am not a fan of his most recent work. It's the film's like Bad Taste, Meet the Feebles and Braindead that I am a fan of. They rock!!!!![sm=evilgrin27.gif]

Vist the strange /weird fan base for Lynch,Cronenberg etc,i think you might like what you read.[sm=happy34.gif][sm=evilgrin27.gif] Here's a link to David Lynch on this site.http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=63698

Captain Black -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (26/6/2007 9:56:21 AM)

Right, I'm just going to periodically add directors as I see fit. Any specific (and that means a single name) requests put them here and I'll go with the majority.

Olaf -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (4/7/2007 8:28:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

Robert Rodriguez

I agree, Rodriguez has to be one of my favourite directors of all time: The El Mariachi trilogy, The Faculty, Spy Kids, From Dusk Till Dawn, etc....

Also, SERGIO LEONE!!

justified by grace -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (4/7/2007 9:33:41 PM)

Peter Weir

Olaf -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (5/7/2007 11:12:56 PM)

Jean-Pierre Melville

Nomansvally -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (10/7/2007 10:04:36 PM)

Jean-Luc Godard
Michelangelo Antonioni
John Cassavetes
Abbas Kiarostami
Werner Herzog
Luis Buñuel
Jean-Pierre Melville
Krzysztof Kieslowski
Robert Bresson
Michael Powell
Alain Resnais

Scruffybobby -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (12/7/2007 5:22:56 PM)

How about Clint Eastwood?

justified by grace -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (29/7/2007 2:57:00 PM)

Michael Bay

kargon -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (1/8/2007 10:21:15 PM)

ROGER CORMAN

Piles -> RE: EMPIRE'S DVD CLUB - NOMINATIONS (23/9/2007 8:04:53 PM)

I wouldnt mind seeing a De Niro one.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
7.788086E-02