Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Resident Evil: Apocalypse (19/11/2005 2:13:44 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Cian1 -> A guilty pleasure... (9/2/2006 12:02:34 PM)

Although there is a clumsy script, acting and overall plot it is worth a watch. Although a part of me recogonises that it is appauling in ways, I can't help but enjoy it somewhat. Great effects too and Milla in the nip is always worth a gander.

coolrex16 -> Don't be fooled, it's damn good fun (28/3/2006 12:20:42 AM)

Essentially if you hated the first one, you are going to hate this one. It's as simple as that. But if you take it with a pinch of salt, forget that this film isn't going or trying to be Citizen Kane, and just enjoy it. Yeah the script may be appalling and the acting more wooden than Keanu Reeves' expressions, but there is plenty of good action on display. And it's nice to see that they have at least made an attempted to keep to the plot of the second and third game. They've actually bothered to place a few of the characters from the game in, including the very accurate Jill Valentine and quite impressive looking Nemesis. I can only hope it develops some more in the third instalment next year.

premierbaron -> Resident Evil (7/4/2006 4:34:35 PM)

Great action movie

burgessappleton -> Resident Evil Apocalypse (18/5/2006 7:03:57 AM)

Great fun movie. Pushes all the right buttons. Bring on Resident Evil Extinction...

rams -> (1/11/2006 8:41:08 PM)

Let me get this straight,the people that vote here gave this 3 stars??When other great films have the same or even less.Are the people here less than 12 years old?Or perhaps mentally?So this is the type of film you people go for hun?Figures,,,just goes to point that with audiences this stupid,films are only right to follow

kumar -> RE: (28/3/2007 1:48:53 PM)

uninjoyable shit mix. honest, it was terrible.

Wet Lettuce -> RE: RE: (28/3/2007 2:22:36 PM)

from what i remember of it, its complete zombie poop apart from a pimp. Play the games instead, particuarly RE2

yellow-bastard -> RE: RE: (28/3/2007 4:14:09 PM)

Meh its ok, i think i remember enjoying it when it first came out, but I couldnt sit down and watch it now

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: RE: (29/3/2007 12:38:00 AM)

love it. ten times better than the first. Glad to see some people here like it too.

DGener8 -> RE: RE: (31/3/2007 3:40:09 PM)

It's a bad sign that the first film I saw a thread about which I've actually seen is this one... complete bag o' bobbins. Steer well clear, dear cinephiles, for herein lies a steaming turd of film which literally only has two selling points, and if I tell you their names are Sienna and Milla you'll know I'm not praising their thespy skills. Granted it is what it is but at least the first had some decent jumps and action sequences; this is so utterly derivative and uninspiring as to be positively tepid. Somehow it manages to make a zombie movie boring! Everything in it has been done better elsewhere, and you'll be able to think of ways to improve upon them yourself, if you can stay awake. Possibly the worst-directed film I've ever seen.

JagLover -> RE: RE: (16/5/2007 5:07:09 PM)

Makes the first one seem like a masterpiece. Shite plot and wooden acting.

kasm -> RE: RE: (18/5/2007 5:49:19 PM)

The scene with all the kids in the classrom aside, this was utterly forgettable movie.nemesis looked like  toxic avenger in a greatcoat .

kenada_woo -> RE: (18/5/2007 8:26:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rams

Let me get this straight,the people that vote here gave this 3 stars??When other great films have the same or even less.Are the people here less than 12 years old?Or perhaps mentally?So this is the type of film you people go for hun?Figures,,,just goes to point that with audiences this stupid,films are only right to follow

Nob!

krudler -> RE: RE: (18/5/2007 10:39:51 PM)

festering pile of shit movie,an abomination from start to finish

lynnshep -> Resident Evil (19/1/2008 3:25:36 PM)

Okay, not terrific

lynnshep -> (19/1/2008 3:25:36 PM)

Okay, not terrific

bryancarr -> Deserves a second look (5/2/2008 2:29:39 PM)

this film isnt trying to be shaun of the dead or day of the dead but a version of the games and in my opinion it does that, as empire said fans will be happy with the easter eggs and we are! the play doh villian is beautifully homaged as are the other characters .
At the end of the day its a popcorn movie thats very enjoyable!

dgribble -> UhhhAhhhh! (20/2/2008 6:50:28 PM)

I saw the first one and could'nt wait to see this, and like many I was let down, I'd only ever watch this again for the song at the end credits, its probably the only good thing anyone got outtta this movie

dgribble -> UhhhAhhhh! (20/2/2008 6:50:31 PM)

I saw the first one and could'nt wait to see this, and like many I was let down, I'd only ever watch this again for the song at the end credits, its probably the only good thing anyone got outtta this movie, although Oded Fehr was good in it, as Empire got part of the review wrong (big suprise), in the game RE3N, Carlos was an annoying pain in the ass, yet Oded's (heroic, cool, could whoop Milla Jovovich's ass) performance insures that your thankful that he's made it out alive for the sequel. Which means he's baiscally gave the best performance in the entire movie. (Why isn't this dude more famous)

lewey T -> Bad sequal (27/3/2008 11:25:56 AM)

I think the first film left resident evil fans holding their breath for the next film, and so this was a tremendous letdown. The storyline was ok, but there wasn't enough horror to make it a horror film.

blaud -> Excuse Me? (16/5/2008 10:07:39 AM)

This is the biggest insult to Resident Evil fans around the globe. Sure, the actions cool and the game references are too, but this is just a badly acted, bloody mass of pulp. What was the point? To offend us? It definitely did.

Horrorguru -> Resident Idiot 2 (2/3/2009 1:16:03 PM)

Terrible, the directors girlfriend gets chased by a novelty dildo.
Utter shite, an insult to the games and the games fans.
However if your a thick chav with zero intelligence and no idea about horror history it may well be up your tracksuit.
Utter shite.

Hillsman -> More Action Less Horror (24/7/2009 10:23:33 AM)

The game series definitely moved to a more action-oriented focus with Resi 4 & 5, though that's not to say both games didn't have moments that were genuinely chilling, disturbing or downright horrible (being stuck in that cage thing with IT still gives me nightmares!)

Resi 2 the movie is an absolute joke however - the acting was appalling (unsurprising with a cast of nobodies), the story (for what it is) is all over the place, a chunk of the short running time is basically flashbacks from the first film while the zombies feature little and pose virtually no threat.

All it has going for it are some decent action scenes....and a few awful ones that are either cheesy (the motor bike entrance) or laughable (Nemesis' first appearance). Watching the gorgeous Milla Jovovich kicking butt is still the only reason to bother watching this rubbish.

AlexObscene -> (26/9/2011 1:37:14 PM)

I think the people that are comparing the Films to the games need to shut up.The fims aren't supposed to be copies of the games,it's a completley different view and i think Paul and everyone else who worked on the films did a great job,and so what if he cast his wife? Milla is amazing as Alice and she has skills.

the film man -> Resident Evil: Apocalypse Review (26/1/2012 5:22:03 PM)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse has lots of action, but not much in terms of plot, characters or creativity.

Phubbs -> RE: Resident Evil: Apocalypse (17/2/2013 4:53:38 AM)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (2004)

'Jill Valentine' and three other people are holed up in an abandoned church trying to escape the ever growing army of zombies within 'Raccoon City' (one of the stupidest names for a city ever!). They are in a battle against a group of 'Lickers' and almost out of ammo, things look bleak.

Suddenly a bright shines through the huge stained glass window...'Alice' blows through the glass mounted on top of a motorbike. She lands perfectly, informs the survivors to take cover and proceeds to blow away all the 'Lickers' one by one in an eye shattering display of slow motion action enough to give any fanboy a hard on. At this exact moment the franchise dies, this is where the 'Resi Evil' film franchise loses the gritty grown up 'Aliens' clone formula of the first film and enters the realm of hyper martial arts and lots and lots of slow motion action.

The character of 'Alice' has been experimented on since the last film, apparently, which now gives her superhuman strength, speed and agility. This in turn takes the character and the film into the world of 'The matrix' and absurd action set pieces.

Don't get me wrong the film isn't entirely bad, the atmosphere and visuals of the film are decent whilst the abandoned 'Raccoon City' is created very well. You do get a great sense of dread from the deserted city, it feels dangerous and eerie with a really nice dark tone.

The film is still pretty adult I must say, there is plenty of blood, some gore and quite a few jump in your seat moments. The general survival concept is along the same lines as the first film with a small band of people trying to escape the City, its a solid idea which works. The problem is the inclusion of 'Alice' who drags the film down utterly with her over the top macho invincibility.

The inclusion of 'Nemesis' was of course required by all Resi fans and he is faithfully created, amazingly, although a bit rubbery. Not being a fanboy myself I just don't get why the 'Umbrella Corp' would release this huge monster simply to kill the remaining 'S.T.A.R.S.' members. Was this some kind of field test? and the fact they planned to nuke the City wouldn't that somewhat negate their precious creation?. On top of that they make 'Alice' fight this big guy for no real reason other than to have an exciting finale fight in the film...oh and something about seeing who is stronger, err why???. All that work just to have him fight 'Alice'?!.

The problem as said before is quite simply the character of 'Alice' and the fact we have to follow her around from one superhero sequence to the next. On top of that you have the pathetic alpha female rivalry between 'Jill' and 'Alice' (and both actresses) as both compete for sexiest zombie killer. 'Jill' wins purely down to her ridiculously skimpy outfit which is obviously in there just for the teen male audience. Because of course most special unit cops wear tight hot pants and a tight vest when in terror situations...wait this is a serious film?.

Its a brave attempt which literately just keeps its head above the waves and manages to be a reasonable film. Shame about all the slow motion crap but this is what happens when Jovovich is in a film. The film is basically let down by stupid action sequences which vomit on your suspension of disbelief, had these bits been more sensible or relatively realistic then the film could have been pretty solid.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI