Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms

Caesar -> Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (15/3/2007 10:31:45 AM)

from the awesome debut of jack reacher in killing floor
then to die trying, tripwire, the visitor, echo burning, without fail, persuader, the enemy, one shot, the hard way and the forthcoming bad luck and trouble
lee child has developed a cracking character and written some fantastic stories.

don't get me wrong, it isn't groundbreaking or thought provoking writing, just good throwaway fun in the james patterson fans mould.

any other fans?

TheBunk -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (15/3/2007 10:23:17 PM)

Count me in.

The new one is out in a few weeks I think.  Looking forward to it.

It's not groundbreaking, but Reacher is a great character and the stories are gripping. Killing Floor and One Shot are probably my favourites so far.

MP -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (15/3/2007 11:18:45 PM)

I can't wait for bad luck and trobule. Reachers such a great character. Killing floor and the hard way are probaly my favorites, although theres a couple I havent got round to reading yet.

Its uncomplicated stuff and all the more fun for it

Super Hans -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (16/3/2007 9:34:43 AM)

Sounds good!  Are they detective/crime type stories?  I quite like that kind of thing but havent really read much since I got bored of Patterson and one Jeffrey Deaver was enough to put me off totally...

tweetypie2005 -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (17/3/2007 8:59:41 PM)

Jack Reacher is an ex Army Officer who was in the Military Police, does his own thing, and has no fixed abode and doesn't follow the law.

I really love these books. Only collect the paperbacks, so will have to wait a year for the new one. But got The Hard Way a couple of weeks ago and finished it in a day. Really need to re-read the books again. Favourite ones are probably The Hard Way, The Visitor and Tripwire but I hated Echo Burning.

TheBunk -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (18/3/2007 12:15:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tweetypie2005

Jack Reacher is an ex Army Officer who was in the Military Police, does his own thing, and has no fixed abode and doesn't follow the law.

I really love these books. Only collect the paperbacks, so will have to wait a year for the new one. But got The Hard Way a couple of weeks ago and finished it in a day. Really need to re-read the books again. Favourite ones are probably The Hard Way, The Visitor and Tripwire but I hated Echo Burning.

I like The Visitor, but found it very predictable. I like the way Child experiments a bit (1st/3rd person narrative in different books) but I don't like books that throw in killer's POV - it seems unnecessary.  The Visitor is interesting because it carries on from the previous book and examines Reacher's choice between settling down and drifting on.

Echo Burning is definitely the weakest of the lot.

tweetypie2005 -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (18/3/2007 6:11:42 PM)

For me, I read One Shot first then the Visitor. I never read the books in order, which I know I should have done. But I don't know whether it was my naiveity or not, but I didn't have a clue who the murderer was, in The Visitor. But after reading it, I was stupid for not realising! lol

Caesar -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (19/3/2007 12:09:36 PM)

apparently lee child is doing a few appearances/book signings to publicise the new jack reacher book next week
they are being done at various waterstones stores, but not one near me [:(]

anyone who's going to one of these events feel like getting a copy of the new book signed for me? [sm=51.gif]

Caesar -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (26/3/2007 11:58:21 AM)

bad luck and trouble is on sale now [:D]

TheBunk -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (27/3/2007 3:10:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caesar

bad luck and trouble is on sale now [:D]

Bought it, read it, loved it.

Bad Luck And Trouble is another top quality thriller from Child.  Here's hoping he never decides to branch out and write non-Reacher novels.

Hope you all enjoy it, I'm off to bed after a 6 hr straight reading session.

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (17/4/2007 3:40:05 PM)

2/3rds of the way through The Killing Floor and I'm loving it. Its not ground breaking but it is so entertaining, Im looking forward to the second.

jimrab -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (7/4/2008 9:50:16 PM)

quote:

Here's hoping he never decides to branch out and write non-Reacher novels.

The author has stated he intends to write a new reacher novel every year until he gets told to stop by his publishers I think.

HIroProtagonist -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (8/4/2008 11:25:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jimrab

quote:

Here's hoping he never decides to branch out and write non-Reacher novels.

The author has stated he intends to write a new reacher novel every year until he gets told to stop by his publishers I think.

Here's hoping he keeps 'em good - I've read all the Reacher books (and own all of 'em except Tripwire), so I went out and brought Nothing to Lose (Managed to get it from ASDA for £9.87 a few days before it's streetdate), and to be honest, whilst it was OK (As has been said, you can leave your brain at the door with a Reacher book), I did find it a bit flat, to be honest. Here's hoping the next book in Reachers adventures is a bit better.

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (9/4/2008 9:56:48 AM)

I've got as far as Without Fail and lost it when I was drunk. Typical. So far I love them all, even if they are a bit far fetched. The sheer coincidences and guess work that pays off in almost each book get a bit much to stomach but hey... why let facts get in the way of a good story.

Newander -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (9/4/2008 8:30:03 PM)

I've read most of those listed, the last one I read...forgotten the name of it now, was the most far fetched one i have read. They are all readable and enjoyable too.

tweetypie2005 -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (29/5/2008 7:58:27 PM)

So I am finally getting around to re-reading the books in order but have skipped a few books, aka Killing Fllor and Echo Burning 

They really are great stories and admittedly I have forgotten most of the story lines [:-]

Although really pissed off as he did some signings soon and he was in York signing and I didn't know and missed him by 30 mins [:(] still managed to get a signed copy, but would have loved to have met the bloke

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (9/7/2008 5:14:18 PM)

Well I'm half way through Persuader and I'm digging the return to the first person perspective, it grounds what is already a pretty bonkers plot. I've already reached one grumble scene which I really didn't like, mainly becouse it's weird hearing it from Reachers angle and also becouse it seems so improbable, even for him. Still, as I always say, who cares. It's a great read.

Really liked Without Fail which was the last one I read.

tweetypie2005 -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (29/4/2009 2:14:43 PM)

Finally got around to reading Nothing To Lose (I only read the paper backs so Gone Tomorrow will wait until next year - yes I have a lot of self restraint about this!!) and it has to be said I really didn't like it that much - took way to long to even START to get get anywhere and Reacher just seemed way to cold and bitter, the way he spoke to the Detective and blowing up Uranium?! Jesus!

Seriously hope GT will be worth it!

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (29/4/2009 3:34:18 PM)

My latest one was The Hard Way and whilst I really liked the story Reacher was very off putting, he was a real bully and very arrogant. he did most things out of spite and his sense of morals was pretty askew regarding what he though of the individual mercaneries. Shame as it was such a good idea at it's base.

HIroProtagonist -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (5/5/2009 5:08:42 PM)

Here's my review of Gone Tomorrow:

Gone Tomorrrow - Lee Child
AKA The Return of Jack Reacher, all 196cm, 250lbs of hardcore trained badness [image]http://geekscape.net/forums/extensions/Vanillacons/smilies/standard/bigsmile.gif[/image]
The 13th Jack Reacher novel, Gone Tomorrow starts with the former Military Policeman making his way into New York on the Subway - sounds like a normal occurance, but such things never tend to end that way when Reacher is about, and while running through the Israeli produced “Watch-list” that identifies potential suicide bombers, Reacher realises he has a problem - there’s a very, very good chance the lady sitting a few rows in front of him is a suicide bomber…
I’m the first to admit that Lee Childs’ Jack Reacher books aren’t what would be classed as great literature - put it this way they’re never gonna appear on any “Serious Award lists”. What they do offer though, if you’re prepared to suspend your sense of dis-belief, are some bloody good, if a wee-bit far fetched, stories. Unusually for a Lee Child book, I hadn’t read all that much about this online, other than the “promotional blurb” that appears on the back of the book:
Suicide bombers are easy to spot. They give out all kinds of tell-tale signs. Mostly because they’re nervous. By definition they’re all first-timers. There are twelve things to look for. No one who has worked in law enforcement will ever forget them. New York City. The subway, two o’clock in the morning. Jack Reacher studies his fellow passengers. Four are OK. The fifth isn’t…
For some reason I’d got it into my head that the entire book was gonna focus around the “suicide bomber”, especially once I started reading it, and noticed that the book is written from a first person perspective (Most of the Reacher books are written from a third person perspective), which I thought would be a really, really interesting idea - an almost 400 page book that revolves around Jack trying to stop a suicide bomber? It turns out the actual “suicide bomber on a train” part of the book only lasts for a few chapters, and the remainder of the book covers how the person came to be on the train, displaying the signs that caught Reachers attention, and the aftermath.
In short I liked it, but it did move a little bit slow for around 100 pages or so, after the “start”, but things definitely pick up as the book approaches a typically violent finale. Lee Childs next book, 61 Hours, is set to be released in April / May 2010 (he releases one new Reacher story every 12 months).

However, if you’re new to the world of Reacher, you can download for free, a copy of Persuader, the 7th book in the series, from: http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/leechild/
As for the next book I’m gonna read? Well I’ve decided to tackle a book that’s been on my “to read list” for about 4 years now - The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon.

damo1104 -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (7/6/2009 10:00:03 PM)

I love the Lee Child - Reachers series.. still ploughing through them as read far too many different styles.. However Reacher is a similar type of read to AJ Quinnell - Creasy (Man On Fire) series.. which is also well worth a look at..

grucl -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (8/6/2009 8:02:24 AM)

I’ve read 5 books, all out of sequence and I never felt that I had missed something. Are there any books in the series that have to be read in sequence?

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (8/6/2009 10:57:44 AM)

Maybe number 2 and 3 as two characters pop up again in both books and much later on in other stories (a rarity for Reacher stories) but you could probably get by if you have already mixed them up.

grucl -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (8/6/2009 12:52:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

Maybe number 2 and 3 as two characters pop up again in both books and much later on in other stories (a rarity for Reacher stories) but you could probably get by if you have already mixed them up.

Oh, that's OK then.

What I really meant was if any of the books were direct sequels or part of a bigger story arc. From what you wrote they are probably all self contained stories.

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (8/6/2009 6:11:32 PM)

They are all one off stories basically, just the characters very, very rarely cross over a book.

I like the sounds of this Creasy guy after a quick google, does anyone have other bonkers Reacher liker characters/series to recommend?

Bumfluff -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (8/6/2009 6:40:58 PM)

The Visitor & One Shot are my personal favourites & I thought Gone Tomorrow was a welcome return to form after the disappointing Nothing to Lose.

I look forward to these every year & take them on my hols to savour! [:D]

damo1104 -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (14/6/2009 10:42:34 PM)

<In reply to BIGKOVACS>

I really strongly recommend anything A J Quinnell.. Creasy is a character similar to Reacher.. and the first of the his books that I read called "In The Name Of The Father" ( not the Irish story)

UK versions of this I find to be Andy MacNab's Nick Stone.. (kinda Jason Statham-ish is how I thought him to be...lol) not all stories are great though but good reads the bulk..

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (15/6/2009 10:42:41 AM)

I do like the Nick Stone stuff, he's like a flawed Reacher (ie realistic), the Stone books seems realistic for thrillers but the is a really unlikable character. I had a look for some Quinnell stuff but couldn't find any, sounds good though.

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (9/7/2009 11:09:45 AM)

Okay I've just finished Bad Luck and Trouble and so far the plots and action are still as tight as hell but I'm having a bit of a problem with Reacher himself. Since One Shot his cool detachment and certainty in every thing he does has been appealing, how he can reassure joe public and scare the bad guys with a few words works really well but now he just plain arrogant, or worse, unnecessarily violent.

***SPOILERS FROM ONE SHOT TO BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE***
When Reacher presses civilians for information he's quite happy to openly threaten them with violence or even duff them up a bit just to work on a hunch. For example in One Shot when he's searching for the red headed girl at the garage, her colleague tells reacher that he can't go into the office as it's out of bounds (fair enough) so Reacher threatens to shove his head through it. Why?? In Bad Luck and Trouble, the Korean landlord who owns the strip of shops is reluctant to tell Reacher who trashed the office, understandably so, so Reacher threatens to burn his shops down. Why?? The later he actually punches Bereson before holding a gun in her face only to find out she's just trying to protect her and her son.

This sudden leap in brutality (against civilians mind) seem in keeping with his slightly dodgy moral compass. Like in The Hard Way Reacher is enraged by the treatment of the crippled ex-marine by his old colleagues and goes out of his way to avenge him and then gives him hundreds of thousands of dollars to rehabilitate him. Did Reacher Miss the part when the marine explained that he was a mercenary as well? Equally as bad as his colleagues, he just got caught with his pants down. Sure, there was sympathy for him but reason for Reacher to act like that!

For me Reacher has become an ugly character and I don't think it's a conscious decision by Child, I believe he's just getting carried away with his favourite (only) creation. His super human skills are getting silly as well and they're detracting from what was a great, semi-believable anti-hero and making him a brutal, bigoted, fantasy thug.

I honestly hope Child tones things down a bit in future.

BigKovacs -> RE: Lee Child and 'jack reacher' appreciation thread (21/8/2009 1:00:11 PM)

Okay, just finished Nothing to Lose and while I think it's an improvement I'm getting a bit creeped out by Reachers choice of bed partners. They're getting more dubious in each book.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI