The Riches - US speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Caesar -> The Riches - US speed (14/3/2007 10:05:13 AM)

anyone else started watching this new show starring minnie driver and eddie izzard?

thoughts and opinions on the pilot? [:D]

sharkboy -> RE: The Riches - US speed (14/3/2007 1:08:50 PM)

I watched the pilot last night and..wow..very impressive turn from both leads.

Eddie Izzard was outstanding in his role as Wayne, con-man extraordinare and father of an itinerant family.  But even his performance paled by comparison to his co-star, Minnie Driver.  Most of the show she looked like shit but shone like gold in her role as a just-out-of-prison junkie Gypsy queen.  The electricity between her and Izzard was incredible in the pilot and hints at better to come.  The rest of the cast were equally impressive, especially the daughter.

My only worry is how long they can sustain the plot of identity theft while keeping it fresh - all the great performances in the world aren't going to save a show that stagnates.  Still, until it does, I'll be adding this to my weekly downloads.

I see the critics are unanimous in their praise too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6445551.stm

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: The Riches - US speed (14/3/2007 1:55:32 PM)

Thought this was excellent. Didn't know the general plotline going in and I was expecting the show to be about the family on their travels. So I was a little suprised when they decided to 'settle down'. But Izzard and Driver were both fantastic. Some very dark moments, especially when Wayne is tending to the car crash victim who has a piece of wood sticking out of his chest. Oh, and the scene with Wayne breaking into the trailer to steal the cash and the ensuing staredown with the bedridden bellringer. But some great comic moments too, like the son kicking the cop while faking an epileptic fit.

Very reminiscent of Big Love, no? A family from a cultish background trying to blend in as a normal family in the suburbs.

furrybastard -> RE: The Riches - US speed (29/3/2007 12:52:02 AM)

Just thought I'd give this a bump.

Watched the second episode and thought it sustained the standard set by the pilot. Izzard and Driver are great together and the kids work well together. The varying plot strands are being set up nicely and it has some nice touches of humour. [:D]

Mycroft -> RE: The Riches - US speed (29/3/2007 2:19:34 AM)

Yup, only watched the 1st episode so far but I'm liking it. Eddie Izzard's an odd actor, his performance isn't quite the conman I was expecting, but I like how its suprising me so far

Vertigo...Woo.Yay. -> RE: The Riches - US speed (29/3/2007 9:25:39 AM)

Guess I'm alone in really not liking it then. [sm=08.gif]

Izzard is very good in it (a bit of a wayward accent sometimes, but hardly enough to put you off) but I really thought it veered wildly in tone. The first 10 minutes is a deft bit of comedy drama as they fleece the high school reunion, but it goes from that kind of tone to utterly grim and relentless, with Minnie Driver's addiction for example. Plus, they way they get the house and new identity really, really made me lose any empathy I had with the characters. That one incredibly mercenary act made me dislike the characters, so lose the impetus to watch them. I think it must be down to how it's been written: it's not like I only like fiercely moral upstanding fictional characters, but even a monster like Tony Soprano creates empathy in the viewer simply because he's written so well.

Captain Black -> RE: The Riches - US speed (30/3/2007 10:01:21 AM)

It certainly did veer wildly in tone Vert, but I felt that they handled those changes pretty well overall. It's certainly darker than I anticipated, but it did manage to be both emotionally engaging and put a smile on my face depending on the scene.

The only issue I had with the mercenary act of obtaining the house itself was just how implausible it was (oh, the house was bought on the internet, how convenient), but I was willing to let that go. What was key for me was that they, as a family, were genuinely affected by the car crash and it wasn't really their fault as much as the other couple's. I guess it depends on how far you're willing to let your moral code go in order to prop up the plot of TV drama. [:D]

Izzard was quite excellent really, especially in the more dramatic moments, though I hope he gets to use his natural personality a bit more, as in the opening sequence at the school reunion.

So, add me firmly in the thumbs-up camp.

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (5/4/2007 9:18:56 PM)

Episode 4's a cracker...

Lots of hilarious moments, plus the added irony of two british actors playing americans pretending to be british!

I reckon Hugh's going to become a big problem[sm=33.gif]

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (18/4/2007 2:48:17 AM)

....just me, then...[sm=whistle.gif]

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (2/5/2007 1:34:36 AM)

It's given a positive mention in this month's Empire...

...anybody?

[sm=huh.gif]

Filmic Joe -> RE: The Riches - US speed (2/5/2007 2:39:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankj

It's given a positive mention in this month's Empire...

...anybody?

[sm=huh.gif]

Nah, I've been watching it.  It took a few episodes to settle in, but it really is very very good now.

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (2/5/2007 11:46:24 PM)

So - do you want to talk about it?

We can just sit quietly if you prefer. No pressure.

[:D]

Mycroft -> RE: The Riches - US speed (3/5/2007 12:45:13 AM)

I want to talk about it, I just haven't watched them yet [:D]  Just got to finish my Sopranos marathon then I'll be on it

Filmic Joe -> RE: The Riches - US speed (3/5/2007 4:22:04 PM)

quote:

So - do you want to talk about it?

We can just sit quietly if you prefer. No pressure.

[:D]

Sure, why not?

I think this week's-y'know, with the funeral and stuff- was probably the best since the pilot.  Lots of stuff going on, dramatic without sacrificing the funny and no 'wayne pretends to be a lawyer' stuff which I'm thinking is going to get old soon, althpough I think the writers know that too.  It really is a very good show.  One which has just been confirmed for season 2. One which I'm wondering why so little people on here actually watch it.  Ah well.

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (3/5/2007 11:42:13 PM)

I think episode 8's in complete contrast to the funeral story - it's the first time they pull off a full-scale con, and it works brilliantly!

furrybastard -> RE: The Riches - US speed (4/5/2007 1:15:21 AM)

Just watched the last two episodes together. Both really, really good despite being completely different in tone! Goddman Minnie Driver is sexy!

Really felt sorry for Dwayne (or whatever his name was, the guy was wanted to marry the daughter) in episode 7. I thought he was going to get killed at the end!

The kids in this show are really great as well, each of them are good actors. After thef irst episode I thought the show might be wakened by bad child actors but they're actually really great. The Mini-Izzard kid is hilarious, doesn't get enough lines though! "My Dad's going to be richer than God." [:D]

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (4/5/2007 1:51:40 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard
I thought the show might be wakened by bad child actors but they're actually really great.
I agree - all three are fantastic, and totally convincing. I love the kitchen scenes, when the whole family interact - the kids are always worth watching during these moments.

At the moment, Cael's a standout for me. His reaction when Rudy called Wayne was priceless!

frankj -> RE: The Riches - US speed (4/5/2007 1:55:20 AM)

quote:

Really felt sorry for Dwayne (or whatever his name was, the guy was wanted to marry the daughter) in episode 7. I thought he was going to get killed at the end!
His name's Ken - and I can't believe the beating he took from Psycho Dale... maybe he is dead...[>:]

Filmic Joe -> RE: The Riches - US speed (4/5/2007 1:58:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

His name's Ken - and I can't believe the beating he took from Psycho Dale... maybe he is dead...[>:]

I hope not, I quite liked him.  Haven't seen episode 8 yet, I will later, gotta watch the new Veronica Mars first.

frankj -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (26/5/2007 2:56:48 AM)

I'm so disappointed that more folks haven't picked up this show yet!

It's one of the few "sure things" on US telly so far this year, having already been commissioned for season 2.
And even Eddie Izzard's appearance on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross doesn't seem to have had much of an impact on the thread...

If you enjoy shows like The Sopranos or Six Feet Under, then you'll enjoy The Riches.

It's beautifully directed.
The scripts are fantastic.
The performances are universally Emmy-bait - Izzard and Minnie Driver are both excellent, and the kids are amaaazing.

I love this show. Lovvve it.
Give it a go - you won't regret it.

brampski -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (26/5/2007 11:39:52 AM)

quote:

I'm so disappointed that more folks haven't picked up this show yet!

It's one of the few "sure things" on US telly so far this year, having already been commissioned for season 2.
And even Eddie Izzard's appearance on Friday Night With Jonathan Ross doesn't seem to have had much of an impact on the thread...

If you enjoy shows like The Sopranos or Six Feet Under, then you'll enjoy The Riches.

It's beautifully directed.
The scripts are fantastic.
The performances are universally Emmy-bait - Izzard and Minnie Driver are both excellent, and the kids are amaaazing.

I love this show. Lovvve it.
Give it a go - you won't regret it.

Any word if its being shown over here? Or should I just start downloading now that Lost and 24 are finished?

frankj -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (26/5/2007 1:42:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: brampski
Any word if its being shown over here? Or should I just start downloading now that Lost and 24 are finished?
According to Mr Izzard, the UK broadcasting rights are currently being negotiated but nothing's confirmed.

Go on - "get it from your American cousin".

furrybastard -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (26/5/2007 3:16:17 PM)

Yeah, I'm still watching it though I feel like the last few episodes have run out of steam a bit. I don't know if the concept will work throughout a second season, to be quite honest.

frankj -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (30/5/2007 12:58:28 AM)

Just watched episode 12 - great stuff.

The various plot-lines are starting to dovetail ahead of next week's finale, and the continuous take during the kitchen conversation was fantastic.

Can't wait to see how they set up a second season...

furrybastard -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (16/6/2007 8:22:42 PM)

I've watched the last two episodes and was pretty disappointed all round. As I've stated already, they really ran out of steam as the season progressed and the central concept was strectched too thin. The drama wasn't very dramatic and the comedy wasn't awfully funny. It seemed to go downhill after the episode where they returned to the camp and Dale was banished. It all became a little too unbelievable after that especially the stuff with Pete.

I also think the kids got sidelined too much in the latter episodes. There seemed to be a little confusion as to whether the show is of a serial nature or episodic and it veered between the two quite a bit. Overall I don't think the writers did as much as they could have and too often took jumps in logic that went one step too far.

The finale wasn't very good. It wasn't bad but wasn't great either and left me with a feeling of 'meh'. It didn't make me anticipate the next season all that much. The end of episode 12 was a better cliffhanger in almost every respect.

furrybastard -> RE: The Riches - GET WATCHING! (19/3/2008 3:51:38 PM)

Well season 2 episode one has just aired in the US.  Anyone gonna continue following this show? I'm in two minds about it at the moment so will wait and see what the word of mouth on this new season is.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI