Due South (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Captain Black -> Due South (16/11/2005 7:28:52 PM)

For whatever reason I started thinking about this show today at work and yes - a DVD release is on the way[:D].

Click here for amazon details.

For those unfamiliar with this sublime show it centred on a Canadian Mountie (is there another kind?) travelling to Chicago in search of the killer of his father. For reasons far too technical to go into here ([:D]) he liased with a streetwise Chicago cop and they struck up one of the most enjoyable modern day buddy partnerships. Of course, the real star was the deaf, half-wolf Diefenbaker, who is quite simply one of the coolest TV characters (man or beast) of all time.

It had a charm, wit and style all of its own and it's highly recommended if you've not seen if before.

Edited because I screwed up the link.

Jose Chungs Doomsday -> RE: Due South (2/1/2006 3:15:21 PM)

the problem with due south was that paul gross wa smade exec producer fir the third season and he turned it into shite. I was heart broken as I was one of the hundreds of people that wrote to the bbc asking them to help fund the new season, and look what we got.

Helo -> RE: Due South (2/1/2006 3:32:41 PM)

I don't think he ruined it.  Certainly it lost much of the momentum of the first two series but Callum Keith Rennie did a great job of making his Ray a intersting character to watch.  However, without David Marciano a fourth season wouldn't have worked.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Due South (3/1/2006 8:46:22 PM)

Anyway idea when ITV3 are meant to be showing it?

Captain Black -> RE: Due South (11/1/2006 6:47:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Anyway idea when ITV3 are meant to be showing it?

I have now! Set your recorders, Sky +, VHS (I'm still keeping it old skool, er, or something [:D]) or whatever for 7pm each week night from next Monday. If it follows the Quantum Leap pattern it may be on during the day too, but I didn't check that.

I'm particularly looking forward to the running gag about Ray losing his classic car on a number of occassions, yet having it replaced without so much as a mention in the next episode [:D]. That and seeing good old Dief again![sm=biggrin.gif][sm=w00t.gif]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Due South (12/1/2006 4:06:08 AM)

Thanks for the tip[sm=happy34.gif]

Captain Black -> RE: Due South (16/1/2006 10:50:32 AM)

Bit of a shameless bump for all the Due South fans here.

I still haven't quite worked out how to tape off my freeview set yet, which means I'm panicking a bit for tonight. [:(]

Can't wait though! Wow, has it been a decade since I first saw this programme?

TUCK PENDLETON -> RE: Due South (16/1/2006 11:23:04 AM)

Really looking forward to seeing this again.  Ive put a reminder on my phone, just in case I forget!

Walkerboy -> RE: Due South (16/1/2006 11:42:14 AM)

Tell me they aren't doing it like Quantum Leap - one episode each day......
I had to give up on QL after a week as it was impossible to watch that and everything else I'd recorded!

thankyoukindly -> RE: Due South (16/1/2006 3:26:13 PM)

With regard to R2 DVD releases: will these include the original TV movie? As this appears to have been overlooked in the States.

I, too, purchased season one on R1 and was less than impressed. The colour is incredibly garish and I dislike the double-sided format.

Though I love this show, it was not flawless. My principal gripe was the casting of a babe - Camilla Scott - and calling her character Margaret Thatcher. Crivens - talk about unfortunate associations!

Captain Black -> RE: Due South (16/1/2006 3:39:27 PM)

Welcome to the forum, thankyoukindly (nice username too [;)])! I always though she was Meg Thatcher, damn that's spoiled it for me. [:@] Camilla Scott also voiced space babe Lilandra in the X-Men cartoons and did a fine job too.[:D]

Walkerboy, sadly it is on every day, I think you might need some form of alternate recording device so you can catch up at a later date! I know what you mean, I only got through a few episodes of Quantum Leap too.

shifty_powers -> RE: Due South (1/2/2006 3:06:11 PM)

I think i'll have to bump this thread with some shameless reminiscing!

Reading this brings back somany memories of the show, really enjoyed, even during it's not as good last season. Do vaguely remember the famous Victoria's Secret episodes, along with the gassed mounties!

Thought his random conversations with his dad where also comedy gold!

TUCK PENDLETON -> RE: Due South (1/2/2006 3:29:40 PM)

I didnt realise this was on every day until last week so I missed about 5 episodes.  A couple of famous faces popped up in last weeks episode - Mark Ruffalo and Ryan Phillipe!

Zaphod121 -> RE: Due South (1/2/2006 6:40:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TUCK PENDLETON

I didnt realise this was on every day until last week so I missed about 5 episodes. A couple of famous faces popped up in last weeks episode - Mark Ruffalo and Ryan Phillipe!

yeah same here, rewatching it has been great, fantastic show

steffols -> RE: Due South (1/2/2006 11:42:36 PM)

Watched the one with Mark Ruffalo.  Nice Hair[&:]

batrico -> RE: Due South (2/2/2006 1:37:51 AM)

I went to watch Due South the other night and couldnt find Itv3 on my sky digital.Then i noticed Itv4 is gone as well(not that i watched it) but have Itv fallen out with sky again?

shifty_powers -> RE: Due South (2/2/2006 9:44:42 AM)

Bollocks!

Missed it last night cos my Mrs was bleedin well watching Coronation Street!

Will try again tonight as i still have ITV3

V!nc3nt -> RE: Due South (2/2/2006 11:01:09 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: batrico

I went to watch Due South the other night and couldnt find Itv3 on my sky digital.Then i noticed Itv4 is gone as well(not that i watched it) but have Itv fallen out with sky again?

They're working for me - ITV 3 is channel 119.

Peppermint -> RE: Due South (2/2/2006 1:52:24 PM)

quote:

[sm=schild15.gif]

Apparently Sky are having problems with Panasonic boxes so if you've got one of those it will be mucking about.  I had to phone them yesterday about mine and they told me all I can do is wait for them to sort it.

batrico -> RE: Due South (2/2/2006 6:16:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

quote:

[sm=schild15.gif]

Apparently Sky are having problems with Panasonic boxes so if you've got one of those it will be mucking about.  I had to phone them yesterday about mine and they told me all I can do is wait for them to sort it.

I have a Grundig box.

batrico -> RE: Due South (2/2/2006 6:17:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: V!nc3nt

quote:

They're working for me - ITV 3 is channel 119.

Maybe its just in Rep of Ireland? we dont get channel 4, itv or bbc's  extra channels or channel 5 on sky digital normally but we did have itv3 and 4 up to last week..

Ify -> RE: Due South (6/2/2006 10:25:55 PM)

Wow, I remember watching this when I was 8 or 9, I was a massive fan. Back then I only knew one other person that watched it, he was my best friend at the time and we would act like Royal Canadian Mountie Police during break and dinner time [:D]

Anyway, I fucking loved the show, I visited home the other week and was pleasantly surprised to see it on (it was the Ryan Phillipe episode). Brought tears to my eyes it did.

It's a shame I can't watch them since I'm at uni and I don't get to watch TV here.

One of my favourite episodes where Benton Fraser and Ray get stuck in a (bank?) vault with water pouring in, and it's a race against time to get free before they drown. 'Twas brilliant. I also remember the Victoria's Secret episodes that Helen mentioned, they were very moving.

I seem to remember the original Ray coming back in one or two of the episodes with the new Ray, am I right? I do remember thinking that Due South wasn't going to be the same without the old Ray but the new Ray did his job perfectly well. He brought that kind of wise-arse character with him.

Edit:
I just typed in Paul Gross on IMDB and it seems he is a a mini-series entitled "Prairie Giant: The Tommy Douglas Story" playing a character caled John Diefenbaker!!

TUCK PENDLETON -> RE: Due South (9/2/2006 4:22:12 PM)

Probably Due South's finest hour is on tomorrow night (Fri 10th) - Victoria's Secret Pt 1, with Pt 2 on Monday.

RuffKut -> RE: Due South (9/2/2006 8:32:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TUCK PENDLETON

Probably Due South's finest hour is on tomorrow night (Fri 10th) - Victoria's Secret Pt 1, with Pt 2 on Monday.

The first part was actually on this evening - your TV guide has lied to you!

Captain Black -> RE: Due South (9/2/2006 8:33:51 PM)

Actually Tuck, Victoria's Secret Part I was on tonight (as, er, I just watched it [:D]). Have they dropped an episode? I know they did early in the season, possibly for content as it's been going out during the afternoon as well.

Edit - Gah, Ruffy beat me to it. [:(]

Well Ify, John Diefenbaker was a president of Canada (the 13th) so in all likelihood, Dief the Wolf was named after him, strange how things go in cycles. Can anyone confirm if the president was deaf or had hearing problems?

And I really liked the other Ray too, for the record. [:D]

TUCK PENDLETON -> RE: Due South (9/2/2006 10:07:28 PM)

Yeah I turned on tonight and they said it was Victoria's Secret, and felt really bad in case anybody was going to watch tomorrow after reading my post.

I had checked an episode guide and they have dropped an episode.  It was supposed to be one about someone getting kidnapped.  Maybe they did it so they could run the two parts on consecutive nights.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Due South (11/2/2006 9:51:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ify

I seem to remember the original Ray coming back in one or two of the episodes with the new Ray, am I right? I do remember thinking that Due South wasn't going to be the same without the old Ray but the new Ray did his job perfectly well. He brought that kind of wise-arse character with him.

Yeah I seem to remember them chasing old Ray in a mall somewhere

RuffKut -> RE: Due South (11/2/2006 10:24:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ify

Yeah I seem to remember them chasing old Ray in a mall somewhere

I loved all the 'new Ray' stuff...it'll be good to see again those first few episodes where he's introduced...

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: Due South (11/2/2006 12:05:38 PM)

Has anyone bought the Season 1 DVDS? I'm really tempted.

Captain Black -> RE: Due South (4/12/2006 11:29:42 AM)

I'd advise looking for the DVDs R1, Barefoot, though there are all sorts of variations with packaging and which episodes are actually bundled together.

ITV3 have a Due South retrospective all lined up for Christmas period:

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/default.asp?section=104&page=575&subpage=1963

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI