The Theatre Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

MuckyMuckMan -> The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 2:36:14 PM)

I thought I'd set up a thread for theatre goers, seen as I went last night.

I went to see Hound of the Baskervilles at the West Yorkshire Playhouse, and oh boy what a fantastic production it is. All the characters are played out by the 3 very talented actors and give us a new take on the story with comedic elements thrown in, including some brilliant improv too.
I thoroughly recommend anyone to go see this for 2 hours of hilarious entertainment from the Peepolykus boys.

The Hound of the Baskervilles can been seen on national tour at the following venues:

Liverpool Everyman and Playhouse
Tue 20 to Sat 24 Feb
Box Office: 0151 709 4776

Theatre Royal Winchester
Thu 27 Feb to Sat 3 Mar
Box office: 01962 840 440

Watford Palace Theatre
Tue 6 to Sat 10 Mar
Box Office 01923 225 671.

Oxford Playhouse
Tue 13 to Sat 17 Mar
Box Office 01865 305 305

Visit the Peepolykus website

Reviews of the production
Peepolykus’ The Hound of the Baskervilles is a comedy joy” Metro
a wonderful farce, revelling in the random and giving buffoonery a good name” Metro
Theatre doesn’t come much sillier than The Hound of the Baskervilles, as presented by Peepolykus” Daily Telegraph
Peepolykus’s merry take on the classic Sherlock Holmes mystery is likely to tickle spectators’ funny bones in all five of the cities to which it tours until mid-March” The Times
a…gut-bustingly hilarious and liberatingly reckless brand of zaniness” The Times
“Peepolykus…are unfailingly hilarious” The Guardian
pure comic bliss in this hilariously played adaptation” The Stage
The visual antics are witty and played with a skill to be admired” The Stage
utterly ridiculous, glorious nonsense” Yorkshire Evening Post
"Britain's barmiest comedy trio...if they weren't so funny they'd be locked up" TIME OUT

naomi -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 2:41:16 PM)

Don't know if it went to the UK but 'Alone it Stands' - was one of the best theatre performances I have been to.

Very well done - plenty of gags and even if you don't enjoy rugby it is a really good laugh.

Valanya -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 3:51:08 PM)

I wish I had the time (and the money) to actually go to the theatre sometimes...I think I've been in more plays than I've been to see (admittedly school ones, and discounting pantomimes). But still, there is something brilliant about live theatre.

Well, there is if the play's any cop.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 6:56:10 PM)

The two best theatre performances I have seen were by the Kneehigh Theatre Company.
They were "The Bacchae" and "Tristan and Ysolte" (before the film)

They are all brilliant actors, and I didn't lose interest for a single second. They also get the audience involved too.

Another grat one I have seen is "A Night at the Circus" http://www.lyric.co.uk/pl99.html

troublemakerashleigh -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 7:04:46 PM)

Sad news that theatre director Steven Pimlott has lost his battle with cancer. He will be missed.

Spider -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 8:09:37 PM)

I really want to go and see The Dumb Waiter in London, not only because of the fantastic reviews but because it has my favourite Lee Evans in it!

Also going to see The Play What I Wrote in March, which I can't wait for!

Wedge -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 8:29:45 PM)

Theatre?!  That's just for poof init?  [;)]

clownfoot -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 9:43:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

I thought that was the ballet, but have since changed my mind as Miss Clowny's endeavour to get me to watch Romeo and Juliet and The Nutcracker at the Royal Ballet has provided a new found respect for such impressive gubbins. Quality stuff!

Mozza -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 9:45:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

I thought that was the ballet, but have since changed my mind as Miss Clowny's endeavour to get me to watch Romeo and Juliet and The Nutcracker at the Royal Ballet has provided a new found respect for such impressive gubbins. Quality stuff!

It's the heaving bosoms isn't it?

clownfoot -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 9:48:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

quote:

ORIGINAL: clownfoot

quote:

It's the heaving bosoms isn't it?

Oi, you leave Miss Clowny out of this...

[sm=augen14.gif]

claytonmeister -> RE: The Theatre Thread (15/2/2007 9:54:40 PM)

I really want to see Dumb Waiter too!! I also read in the Independent today that Eric Idle is going to do  He's not the messiah (he's a very naughty boy) and it is being opened in Toronto in June, that should be good too if its as good as Spamalot.

Izzardesque2 -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 5:18:17 AM)

For any one in Yorkshire and Lancashire, if you ever get the chance to see a play done by the Northern Broadsides theatre company, they're well worth seeing. I've seen them do quite a bit of Shakespeare and once you've got over the shock of a Richard III that sounds a bit like Sean Bean, they're excellent. They also do other plays.

The best play I've seen recently was 1984 in Melbourne, directed by the one and only Tim Robbins. They even managed to make it funny in places!

Base -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 8:32:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Valanya

I wish I had the time (and the money) to actually go to the theatre sometimes...I think I've been in more plays than I've been to see (admittedly school ones, and discounting pantomimes). But still, there is something brilliant about live theatre.

Well, there is if the play's any cop.

And even if not sometimes, I've some incredibly amateur discworld plays that were unintentionally hilarious (well, they're supposed to be hilarious, but you know what I mean!!!), and made the one talented actress in it look even better!

Last one I saw was Heroes, in Woking, which was excellent.  Like Art but older characters.

And I have tickets for Underneath The Lintel with Richard Schiff (Toby in The West Wing for any philistines who didn't already know) in a couple of weeks time [sm=happy34.gif]

Bubba -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 9:06:03 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Izzardesque2

For any one in Yorkshire and Lancashire, if you ever get the chance to see a play done by the Northern Broadsides theatre company, they're well worth seeing. I've seen them do quite a bit of Shakespeare and once you've got over the shock of a Richard III that sounds a bit like Sean Bean, they're excellent. They also do other plays.

The best play I've seen recently was 1984 in Melbourne, directed by the one and only Tim Robbins. They even managed to make it funny in places!

Trying sitting through Macbeth with thick Welsh accents!

I love going to the theatre but I don't get to do it anywhere near enough. I can't even remember the last play I went to see.

*goes in search of a 'what's on' guide*

Twizzle -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 11:18:10 AM)

It's not technically 'theatre' but I'm off to the Royal Opera House in London next Wednesday to see Swan Lake. I've never been to the ballet before and I'm really looking forward to it. And I get to 'posh' up for the evening. [:)]

Biggus -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 11:36:43 AM)

Scumbelina by Legz Akimbo Theatre Co. was a good 'un.

troublemakerashleigh -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 11:45:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

It's not technically 'theatre' but I'm off to the Royal Opera House in London next Wednesday to see Swan Lake. I've never been to the ballet before and I'm really looking forward to it. And I get to 'posh' up for the evening. [:)]

It is theatre, you should also look into Matthew Bournes dance work, his 'all male' (mainly) swan Lake is doing the rounds as is Edward Scissorhands.

The National Theatre production of The Man of Mode is very good, a bit long long but very good and Tom Hardy is excellent.

Im off to see Equus tomorrow! very excited but a little freaked out at the propect of a neked Harry Potter.

Samuelpoet -> RE: The Theatre Thread (16/2/2007 9:52:50 PM)

It's been a while since I've been to the theatre, in fact I can't really remember when I did, I think it may have been to see a panto back at home in Yorkshire over a year ago...

Seriously though, its a shame really as I should be paying to buy a ticket to help those in the industry I'm trained in...

I've read the review on the Hound Of The Baskervilles in the Stage newspaper, sounds like great stuff. [:)]

Sophloz2104 -> RE: The Theatre Thread (17/2/2007 11:15:40 AM)

I love the theatre.  Such a wonderful day out.  I'm off to see Underneath the Lintel next Sat which I am very excited about as being such a huge West Wing fan I am a Richard Schiff fan.  A review shall be posted next Sunday!

Spider -> RE: The Theatre Thread (18/2/2007 11:59:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sophloz2104

I love the theatre.  Such a wonderful day out.  I'm off to see Underneath the Lintel next Sat which I am very excited about as being such a huge West Wing fan I am a Richard Schiff fan.  A review shall be posted next Sunday!

I'm interested to hear what you think. I do kinda want to see Underneath the Lintel but I don't want to go just because it's Richard Schiff, it has to be a good show as well!

tbird -> RE: The Theatre Thread (20/2/2007 1:48:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

Scumbelina by Legz Akimbo Theatre Co. was a good 'un.

[:D] very good!

I try to go to the theatre at least twice a year. The last thing I went to see was an amateur production of Sweeny Todd the musical and it was amazing. It's made me really look forward to Burton's movie.

Sophloz2104 -> RE: The Theatre Thread (25/2/2007 7:36:16 PM)

I saw Underneath the Lintel yesterday and the play is absolutly wonderful.  Richard Schiff is fantastic in it, he mixes comic and serious lines so effectively, getting a laugh from the audience when needs be.  Its an hour and a half of him on his own, there's no interval, and he holds his own.  You cant take your eyes off him and his accent is spot on.  There's a running joke about Les Mise that is very funny.  So I would definately reccommend it if you want a quirky, funny play with a truly wonderful performance.  And go to the West Wing appreciation thread on the small screen forum for my account of meeting the man himself a few hours before the performance!  Its a great story!

Twizzle -> RE: The Theatre Thread (25/2/2007 10:09:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

Quoting my own post here just to say that the ballet was absolutely amazing. I was totally overwhelmed and overawed at the sheer artistry, athleticism and beauty that was displayed. And I actually found myself getting quite emotional more than once during the performance.

It was a truly fantastic experience and I had the most wonderful evening. [sm=biggrin.gif]

Funkyrae -> RE: The Theatre Thread (25/2/2007 10:14:10 PM)

I'm taking my daughter to see Beauty and the Beast for her birthday.  I have to say I love the theatre and go whenever I can afford it and there's something on that I can manage to get people to come to with me!

Samuelpoet -> RE: The Theatre Thread (30/6/2007 12:24:30 AM)

Just been to see King Lear starring Ian Mckellan at the theatre royal Newcastle. One of the best theatrical experiences ever, more to report tomorrow!!! [:D]

Jackie -> RE: The Theatre Thread (30/6/2007 11:02:54 AM)

I looooove the theatre, musical theatre, the ballet - everything! I went to see Billy Elliot last night - fantastic. Really enjoyed it. I think the boy playing Billy that night had only just started but he was fantastic. I'm seeing The Sound of Music in a couple of weeks with one of my best friends. Fave musical of the moment is Wicked (which I saw twice with Idina Menzel, hehe) but also loved Avenue Q.

Matthew Bourne's The Car Man (Car-Man = Carmen) is playing in Nottingham at the moment, but I haven't got round to seeing it yet. At Uni I watch a lot of plays through my Soc The New Theatre, so because of that I've seen more plays (and been in one!) in the past year than I have in the past three years. This included: Lysistrata (Greek comedy), Absurd Person Singular (Alan Ayckbourne), The Flu Season (Will Eno), The Seagull (Chekhov), Rough For Theatre II (Beckett), and Cast Aside (student written).

Can't wait for The Sound of Music!

Jackie.

troublemakerashleigh -> RE: The Theatre Thread (30/6/2007 11:50:32 AM)

YOu really should see the Car Man it's a wonderful piece of work. I used to be part of New Adventures company and it was my fav show to dance of Matthews

Jackie -> RE: The Theatre Thread (30/6/2007 10:57:23 PM)

I hope it's still on when I get back to Notts or I'll miss out! Awesome that you danced in it [:D] Principle or ensemble? My momma's ex-Royal Ballet.

Jackie.

Funkyrae -> RE: The Theatre Thread (30/6/2007 11:14:50 PM)

Car Man is coming to Cardiff at the end of next month.  I caught it in Nottingham a couple of years ago and I highly recommend it Jackie. 

I took my daughter tonight to a "Night at the West End".  Essentially it's performances of loads of different West End musicals songs performed by principals of the West End.  It was pretty damned good.  This was her first venture into "serious" theatre (bear in mind she's 6 next Saturday) and she was absolutely transfixed.  Next week I'm taking her to see Disney's Beauty & The Beast.  She's already asking me when I can take her to see Phantom.

Samuelpoet -> RE: The Theatre Thread (1/7/2007 7:17:30 PM)

King Lear   -  The Royal Shakespeare Company, Newcastle, Theatre Royal.

Friday 29th June 2007, was a night of spectacular marvel at Newcastle's Theatre Royal. As part of the celebration / anniversary of Shakespeares work which has spanned over the past year, the celebrations continue with King Lear brought to Newcastles infamous stage. In comparrison to previous RSC shows I have seen over recent years, this performance was astounding and completely moving. Everyone should know the story of King Lear, and for those who don't, well I will not divulge... all I will say is that this version by the RSC, was done bang to rights in comparison to that of the rather poor version I saw some six years ago directed and performed (lead role) by the egotistical Barry Rutter. However this lavish RSC production I witnessed purely by chance of a spare ticket, was an experience to be inspired by.

With a cross over of contrasting period costumes, simplistic sets, outstanding choreography, amazing special effects and Trevor Nunns direction, King Lear was  was just a dream to be part of, as an audience.

Sir Ian Mckellen played an outstanding Lear, with emotion and humour laying the phychological foundations to Lears state of mind. With the occasional member of the audience expecting to see either Magneto or Gandalf... I expected to see King Lear, and that is what I got. Lear's Fool played by Sylvester McCoy, proved a little more fragile as the great king. This isn't a negative by all means, I mean fragile as in state of mind, while The Fool opts to be the Kings backbone, away from the King, The Fool just crumbles, and is the means to his sad end.

What more is there to be said?

Other than this... The RSC... Simply genius!!! [sm=happy34.gif]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI